Sequel: Phantom
Status: Start Date: December 13, 2008. Finish Date: June 5, 2009

Spirit

Inevitable

Chapter 17: Inevitable
Nathan and I walked downstairs into the kitchen. My mom was there. I quickly turned around and grabbed Nathan by the arm.
“Who’s this?” My mom asked excitedly.
Nathan turned around and stuck out his hand. “Hello. I’m Nathan.”
“I’m Natalia’s mom, Nina,” mom said and took Nathan’s hand and shook it.
“So Natalia, this is your date?”
I put my hand over my face. “We’re just friends mom,” I sighed. “Nathan is a ghost. Just like me!”
“Really? So is he with Keith and Sarah?”
I nodded my head.
My mom faced Nathan. “Thank you for going on a date with Natalia. She really needed it. With all the things going on her life, she really needs a friend who understands. Or a boyfriend. Whatever you two are.”
“Mom! Why would you say that? We’re just friends,” I said, stretching out the word.
“Mmhmm.”
“Mom,” I warned.
“What? I just think that you two would look very good-”
“Mom!”
“Fine, fine,” she said, surrendering. “She never wants me to talk to her dates but she always brings them home,” my mom murmured to Nathan.
“Mom! Stop!” I grabbed Nathan and pulled him into the living room and sat down on the couch. Nathan chuckled.
“That was so embarrassing,” I sighed. “And to be accurate, I’ve only been on three dates. And that’s including homecoming.”
“And who are those three?” He asked. I was surprised to find that he tried to disguise the obvious jealousy in his tone and expression with indifference.
“Blaine for homecoming…. Lawren, and yo-” I stopped there.
Nathan’s smile widened. “It’s okay if you consider that a date.”
“I consider it a friendly gathering,” I said smugly. Nathan chuckled.
The front door opened and Jayant came inside.
“Hi, Jayant!” I chirped.
“Hi,” he said smiling but looking at Nathan.
I got up and so did Nathan. “Nathan, this is my brother, Jayant. Jayant, this is Nathan.”
“Hello,” Nathan said and stuck out his hand.
“Hi,” Jayant said and shook his hand.
“Nathan is Natalia’s not date,” my mom joked from the kitchen.
I rolled my eyes.
“Wow, Natalia. You bounce back fast,” Jayant murmured and walked into the kitchen.
“We’re just friends!” I said, irritated.
I sat back down on the couch with Nathan.
“So how about you? Have you ever had any girlfriends or been on any dates back in Boston?”
“Nope.” He sounded happy about that. Usually guys would be embarrassed to say that they were eighteen and never had a girlfriend or been on a date.
“Why not?”
“I never really found anyone…” he searched for the word and scrutinized my face, “appealing to my eyes until a couple of days ago”
I gulped. “Oh.” That was all I was able to say.
“Hey kids, are you…” My mom walked into the room and stopped at the door frame. I realized that Nathan’s face was just inches from mine and I quickly leaned away and sat casually on the couch. She smiled. “Hungry?”
My brother, sister, and dad came home. It made things awkward because Jonathon and Nicolette still wouldn’t talk to me. Nor would they even look at me. My mom told me to give it time.
Throughout dinner, Nathan and my family talked about ghosts. It was a weird topic to be on since I still couldn’t get over the fact that I was really a ghost. The most weirdest part was that my father seemed to enjoy Nathan’s company even after my mom tired telling him that Nathan was my date. Nathan had charisma and everyone seemed to like him.
“I should get home now,” Nathan said.
“Really?” My mom sighed. “How are you going to pass the police without them catching you?”
“Are you going to turn invisible or something?” Jayant asked.
Nathan chuckled. “I’ll jump out the window from Natalia’s room.”
“Okay. Well come again soon,” my dad said and patted Nathan on the back.
“Sure thing,” he responded.
“C’mon, Nathan,” I said and led him up to my room.
“Today was fun,” Nathan said when we reached my room.
“Yeah, it was,” I agreed.
We stood in silence, our bodies close to each other.
“Well this is awkward,” Nathan said and chuckled.
“I’m sorry,” I mumbled and took a step back.
He chuckled. “We should do this again.”
“Yeah, totally,” I agreed.
“So… I guess I’m going to transform now.” The way he said it made it sound like a question but I knew it wasn’t intentional. I made me laugh and I nodded my head.
Nathan closed his eyes and started to shake. The time between the shakes got littler and littler and soon, he was not longer shaking but vibrating like he usually did when he transformed. Then color started draining from every part of his body. The shaking gradually came to a stop and Nathan opened his ice blue eyes.
A smiled came across his face. “Why aren’t you ever scared when I change right in front of you?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “Your not scary. And inplus, I can do what you can.”
Nathan laughed. He walked toward me and wrapped his arms around me. My face turned red and I wrapped my arms around him.
“I’ll be here whenever you need me and I’ll stay
as long you want me,” he murmured.
“Thank you,” I sighed and closed my eyes and tucked my head into his chest. I didn’t want this day to end.
Nathan let me go and walked to the window. “See you later, Natalia,” he said before he jumped out of the window. I ran to the window and I looked up and saw Nathan. He was jumping across the roofs of the houses, leaving a white trail behind him in the dark night sky. He was brighter than any star. Even the moon. In a couple of seconds, Nathan was out of my sight.
I sighed and rested my cheek against the window, looking out. I looked down and the police below were fast asleep.
In the middle of the cul-de-sac, a car was parked in the road. The car looked familiar, but I wasn’t sure I knew it. The cars headlights flipped on and the car drove around and out of the cul-de-sac. That was odd.
I walked away from the window and laid across my bed, smiling.
Although Nathan was just a new friend, it felt like I’ve known him my whole life. Nathan was just someone who was inevitable to like.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Catalyst & The Incarnate: Spirit: Chapter 17: Inevitable