‹ Prequel: Spirit
Sequel: Apparition
Status: Start Date: June 6. 2009. Finish Date: August 19, 2009

Phantom

New Girl

Chapter 20: New Girl
We entered the Roosevelt High parking lot and everything was already a pandemonium. Nathan parked the car in his usual place as last year and we got out of the car. As we walked toward the school, we passed by people we recognized, new people, and incoming, confused freshman trying to find their first class five minutes early.
We walked to the front of the school where my friends always waited for the bell to ring.
“Wow, you two are still together?” Blaine asked when he saw Nathan and I holding hands.
“Yeah,” I said and laughed. “Unlike you, I like to keep a relationship for more than a week.”
Blaine rolled his eyes.
“I can’t believe we’re finally seniors!” Chloe squealed.
“I know, it’s so sad,” Alex said with the opposite emotion as Chloe.
I noticed that Chloe and Alex have finally managed self control when they were around Nathan but I was still able to see from the corner of my eye as they both would check him out.
“Where’s Lawren?” I asked.
“Right here,” He responded from behind me. “Hi.”
“Hey, Lawren!” I sang and gave him a hug.
“Hello, Lawren,” Nathan greeted him chivalrously.
Lawren took a deep breath and looked over at him. “Hi, Nathan.”
I smiled at the both of them. Since when did they learn how to get along with each other? Even though they didn’t greet each other with a smile which meant they weren’t exactly what you’d call ‘friends’, I still hoped it was going to stay this way.
The right bell ran which meant it was time for us to get to first period.
Nathan, Blaine, and I had first period together which was social studies with Ms. Birdine, my language arts teacher from my junior year.
All we did was go over the same rules I’ve heard three, now four times throughout my high school life. I was glad this was the last time I’d ever have to hear that ‘books are meant for reading not writing’ ‘without our past, there would be no history to learn’ ‘treat yourself the way you want to be treated’ and a bunch of other things I didn’t bother listening over again.
Nathan sat to the right of me in the third row and Blaine sat in the back of the class with a new girl he found attractive.
First and second period was in the same class with the same people which meant about two hours in that class. Second period was language arts.
My and Nathans’ third period class was health with Chloe and Alex in Coach Sullyvans’ class. We did the same for third period as we did for first, go over the same boring rules I’ve heard many times before.
Once third period was over, Nathan and I walked to fourth period, math where Lawren was sitting and waiting for us. He smiled and patted the seat next to him when I walked into the room. I looked over at Nathan and he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. This was going to be weird.
“Hi, Lawren,” I said as I walked past him and set my things down at the table behind him, hoping he thought I didn’t see his gesture for me to sit next to him.
“Why don’t you sit next to me, Natalia,” Lawren said, pulling out the chair next to him further with a smile.
“You know, Lawren, I was actually planning to sit with Nathan.”
“Go ahead,” Nathan said. I looked at him, confused. He didn’t have any strain in his voice but complete politeness. “What?” He asked and laughed.
“Uh. Nothing,” I said and shook my head. “Are you okay with this?” I asked him.
“Yup, he is,” Lawren answered for him quickly and took my bag from the desk behind him and set it in front of the open chair beside him.
I slowly walked over to the chair in front of me and sat, watching Nathan to see if he’d make any other expression or show any sign of hospitality toward Lawren. He didn’t he sat there with a smile on his face.
“Hi, do you mind if I sit here?” A girl asked Nathan. The girl was brunette with a tint of blonde. Her hair was in perfect curls that went down to her waist and she had a heart shaped face. She looked angelic with her jade green eyes. She had pallid skin and she was wearing a beige and tan bohemian dress with beautiful patterns. Around her neck was a medium size golden antique key that hung from a gold chain. At the top center of the key was a dark red gem. Possibly her birth stone.
“Sure,” Nathan said and held the chair open for her.
“Thank you,” she said with her soft voice. “I’m new here. My name is Matilda. You can call me Maddie, though.”
“Nathan,” he said and stuck out his hand for her to shake.
“Hi, I’m Natalia,” I said, twisting in my seat. She waved her hand shyly.
“And I’m Lawren,” he said with a wave.
“It’s very nice to meet you all,” she said and giggled.
“So, Maddie, where did you come from?” Nathan asked.
“I came from Dallas, Texas. I came up here because my dad got a better job offer in Seattle.”
“Well, welcome to Washington,” Nathan said grandly. “And Roosevelt High.”
“Aww, thank you,” she said. “You’re so sweet.”
I glared at Maddie while her attention was turned to Nathan’s face. I turned back around, folded my arms, and pouted. I knew this was a bad idea.
Throughout the rest of math when the math teacher, Mr. Erikson wasn’t looking, Nathan and Maddie would whisper to each other then laugh silently. It annoyed me.
When the bell rang and everyone got up and left, I sat in my chair with my arms still folded across my chest.
“C’mon, Natalia,” Lawren said.
“Do you want to go out for lunch?” Nathan asked me.
“Hmm. I don’t know. Why don’t you ask Maddie out to lunch?” I said in disgust. “You know, I completely underestimated that girl. At first, I thought she’d be a nice girl but now I can see that she’s a diabolical little thing, trying to steal you away from me! I bet she didn’t even come from Texas. I bet she’s one of those Vanburen people.”
“Vanburen people?” Lawren asked. “Who’re they?”
“No one,” I mumbled.
“Wait, you think that she was trying to steal me from you?” Nathan asked and chuckled. “We only sat together for an hour and thirty minutes, Natalia.”
“A hour and thirty-two mintues. You forgot the minute before class and the minute after class.”
“I’m just going to leave,” Lawren said awkwardly and walked out the door.
“You know, if I didn’t know any better I’d say you’re jealous,” Nathan said and grinned.
I glared at him.
“Just speaking the truth,” he said defensively.
“You’re the one who didn’t fight for me to sit with you! You just gave me away to Lawren.”
“Natalia, I did that because he’s you’re best friend,” he said and knelt down by my side. “I don’t want to come in between your relationship with him so I thought it wouldn’t hurt for you to just sit with him for just one class.”
I looked at him dubiously but when I saw the sincerity in his eyes I had to give in. “You’re so sweet,” I said and smiled. I wrapped my arms around his neck.
“So you don’t see Maddie as a threat anymore?”
“Oh, I still see her as a threat,” I said and nodded my head. “That girl is going down!”
Nathan raised one eyebrow.
“Fine, I won’t annihilate her,” I mumbled. “But I will show her that you belong to me,” I growled and pulled Nathan but the collar of his shirt toward me.
“And I’m completely fine with that,” Nathan flirted.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Catalyst & The Incarnate: Phantom: Chapter 20: New Girl.