‹ Prequel: Eyes of Light
Sequel: Guiding Lights
Status: Finished. Sequel: Guiding Lights

Light in the Storm

Twelve; Amusement

It hadn’t been long before I heard my dad’s voice call me and Nick downstairs. Eve was here. We exchanged a look and sighed at the same time, both of us jumping up from our cuddling position. Nick wasn’t much of a cuddler, but I knew he secretly liked it--I was almost positive by now. His hand found mine as we hurried down the stairs, my lips stretching into a shy smile when my eyes settled on Eve. She returned it to both of us and sighed, not really wanting to be here to punish us. Dad looked thoroughly confused.

“Maybe you should tell your father why I’m here,” Eve suggested as she stood by his side.

“Okay,” I sighed, letting Nick’s hand go. He stood by my side loyally and scratched his head, waiting. My dad’s waiting eyes seemed a bit intimidating. “I made Nick take me to the council, but it was only because I wanted to find out more about the black storm-”

“First of all-” he cut me off, raising his hands. “Did you have permission?” I slowly shook my head no. “And second of all… the what?”

I guess I now remembered I hadn’t informed him about the newest danger. Oops. I opened my mouth to speak but Eve cut me off.

“I’ll have to tell you about that after…” I sighed almost thankfully. “But we have to deal with this. As head of the council, it’s my job to enforce the rules. I know you two didn’t mean any harm, but I’m not sure if I can just let you get off scot-free…”

“Oh, you can; it’s easy! Just say, “Lonnie, Nick, you know you weren’t supposed to do that, so don’t do it again.” See?” I smiled hopefully, biting my lip. I could hear Nick’s snort from beside me, his body shaking with his silent laughter that was directed towards me.

“I don’t know…” Eve murmured, pushing her hair back. My dad shifted his weight, his expression full of confusion. “I mean, this is your first broken rule-”

I bit the inside of my cheek and looked over to Nick discreetly, my face flushing as his eyes traveled over me, his full lips pursed. That was not the first rule broken. Nick let his head hang a little, keeping his face away from Eve. He hated lying and I was terrible at it. Great.

Instead of continuing, Eve glanced up at us, her eyebrows furrowed. She was waiting for me to confirm her thoughts. I just stared at her, trying my best not to just yell out under the pressure. She stood up a little straighter and crossed her arms.

“You know… if you broke another rule, such as…” she paused, using more of a sarcastic tone, “oh, I don’t know; maybe doing something before marriage… you’d be in big trouble Lonnie, more so than Nick.”

“What?” I gasped, shutting my mouth immediately once his head shot up. “Why would I be in bigger trouble?”

“Because you’re a witch. You can manipulate.”

That made sense. But that’s not what I did.

“But-”

“Did you happen to break that rule?” she asked softly, her eyes focused on me. They were soft and reluctant, not wanting to have to go there with us. I opened my mouth to speak, but Nick’s soft voice sounded instead.

“No.”

I was shocked at the sternness in his voice. He was definitely a better liar than I was, but he didn’t make eye contact with her for more than a few seconds, afraid that she’d be able to see through him. I glanced over and gave him a small smile, getting narrowed eyes in return. Uh-oh.

“Well…” Eve sighed, glancing at my father. He ran his fingers through his short hair, his eyes locking on me as he fixed his glasses.

“Lonnie, Nick, maybe you two should go outside for a while. I need to talk to Eve.” I could tell dad really didn’t want to know about all this kind of stuff, but it was necessary. I gave him the most innocent smile I could muster, hoping he’d tell Eve to call off a punishment.

Nick reached forward and grabbed my arm, gently pulling me towards the door. We hopped out into the cool air and immediately started for the back of my house, the trees around looking bare and dark under the cloudy sky. I did my best not to fall, biting my lip as he continued forward quickly. But we didn’t go into the forest--just towards the path I used to take for school.

Nick stopped abruptly, allowing me to bump into him with a groan before he spun around and halted my shoulders. I stared up at his stern face with wide eyes, blowing my bangs away from my eyes.

“I’m never lying again,” he stated simply, his voice clear and hard. I exhaled deeply, licking my dry lips.

“You didn’t have to. You could’ve told her the truth,” I shrugged, acting as if it weren’t a big deal, but I knew it was and Nick did too. If he had told Eve that we had… done that, then I would be the one in big trouble. He lied to keep me safe. He was doing his job, but in a different form; I wanted to smile but Nick was still standing in front of me, his gaze hot.

“Yes, Lonnie. I did have to. You know full well that I can’t stand anything happening to you.”

I was already ahead of him on that.

Rubbing my face with my hand, I glanced up at him, slowly slipping my hand into his warm one. He blinked a couple times, slowly calming down before he let out a sigh and allowed his shoulders to slouch some. He gave my hand a squeeze and a smile spread across my lips, my other arm swinging around to lock around his neck. He let out a short chuckle and smoothed his free hand over my back, allowing me to rest my head on his shoulder. Nick couldn’t stay mad at me for long anymore. We were too connected. I didn’t mind.

“Ever since I’ve met you,” he began to whisper, his hot breath hitting my ear, “I’ve been on a rollercoaster ride of emotions.”

I smiled even wider and shrugged, tightening my arm around him to pull myself closer. “That’s a good thing though. I’ve taught you how to be anything other than angry or blank.”

I heard him scoff and I knew he was rolling his eyes, eliciting a giggle from me. I could see my glow spark some, another wave of warmth washing over me as he pressed his lips to my temple, slowly trailing little kisses down towards my jaw line. Letting out another breath, I closed my eyes tight and told myself to calm down. Nick chuckled suddenly, leaning up to press a soft kiss to my lips. When I opened my eyes I was met with amused ones, the chocolate gleaming.

“What?” I murmured, swallowing the lump in my throat. He shrugged, the creases around his mouth becoming more defined as he smiled a little wider.

“You.”

“Me what?” I asked, smiling a little myself. I just hoped I didn’t do something embarrassing within the seconds he had kissed me; anything was possible for me.

“You’re just… adorable,” he shrugged again, leaning away from me. I quickly gripped his collar and pulled him back, knitting my eyebrows together in a mixture of confusion and excitement.

“What did I do?”

“It’s nothing really… particular, I guess,” he mumbled, pushing back his curls as he stared down at me, his eyes soft. “It’s just you in general.”

I smiled. “I thought you thought I was annoying.”

“That too,” he quickly agreed, nodding. I scrunched up my nose and punched his toned chest, getting him to laugh melodically. He gripped my hand and twisted his fingers with mine, leaning in to kiss the corner of my mouth; tease. “But I love you.”

Those three words were what Nick learned to be the magic words; they fixed almost everything, making my heart melt and speed up at the same time. Stupid wolf boy.

And then I got an idea…

“You know… I’ve never had a dog,” I mumbled, a sly smile spreading across my lips. He jerked back some, squinting his eyes. He didn’t like where this was going.

“So…?” he drug out, licking his full lips. I cocked my head. “Oh. Oh, no,” he shook his head, his curls bouncing in the faint wind.

“What!” I giggled, rolling my eyes.

“I’m not going to phase just so you can pretend I’m some big dog. Not happening.”

“Awe, come on!” I begged, stopping my foot. He shook his head again. “That’s not fair.”

“Not fair?” he laughed dryly, pulling his hand away to cross his arms. “It’s not fair that you want me to pretend to be your dog.”

“But you are Nick,” I smiled, shooting my hand out to ruffle his soft curls as I spoke in a voice that was often used for pets and babies. “And you’re my special little puppy, yes you are.”

“Quit it,” he grumbled, smacking my hand away, but I just pulled it back up to latch onto his curls once again. “Lonnie!” he grumbled, trying to pull away, but I only giggled. He managed to turn around but I jumped on his back, locking my arms around his neck as he stumbled, getting me to scream. “You’re such a brat!” he yelled, but I could hear the laughter in his voice and I blushed, nuzzling my face into his neck.

“You hurt my feelings,” I whispered into his ear, locking my legs around his waist. He turned his head just enough to get a glance at me.

“Did I?” he asked lowly, his tone more sarcastic than concerned. I let out a breathy laugh.

“Yes.”

“Well I’m sorry then,” he smiled, reaching his hand behind him to settle on my thigh. I inhaled deeply, taking in his scent along with a calming breath, and swallowed hard. His fingers curled around my thigh and he pulled it tighter around him, doing the same with the other.

“What’re you-” I started, quickly stopping once I felt him begin to shake. I tightened my grip around his neck and gasped once I felt fur underneath me rather than a shirt, the wind whipping me for a quick moment as he dropped onto all fours. I was now lying on my stomach, on a wolf’s back. That was awesome. “That was… amazing,” I breathed, tugging at Nick’s fur. He let out a small growl, quickly shaking his head.

“Don’t do that,” he hissed; it only reminded me of the fact that it turned him on. I decided to spare him… for now.

“You remember when you let me ride on your back that one time?” I questioned, squinting my eyes as I stared out into the distance, nuzzling my face against his fur. The wind blew gently and I clung to his warmth, still smelling his same scent.

Nick didn’t answer me. He started forward slowly instead, his paws soon digging into the dirt as he began to break out into a run. I let out a squeal and shut my eyes, the cool wind hitting me hard as he ran, quickly sliding into a turn. I opened one eye as I clung to him, watching as he decided to start circling my house--most likely so I didn’t hit my head on any tree branches. He knew me too well.

I could hear him panting as he sprinted faster, darting around like he was a bullet. He was… fast. I gulped and decided not to look anymore, closing my eyes back up. I tangled my fingers in his curls and gave a small tug, his soft laugh ringing through my ears.

“Too fast?” he murmured, already slowing down.

“It’s kind of like flying, isn’t it?” I breathed. I could feel him nod.

I leaned to the side and let out a scream as I fell off, pulling him with me. He lied on his side, practically on top of me, his body heaving with each short breath. I couldn’t help but laugh as he looked up at me, his bright gold eyes bright, the soft brown ring sparkling. I reached my hand out and ran my fingers over his fur, getting another low whimper from him. He buried his face into the grass, trying to wiggle out of my grasp, but I managed to wrap my small arms around his body and keep him against me.

“Lonnie,” he sighed, wiggling again. I scrunched up my nose and dropped onto my back, urging him forward until he rested above me. He cocked his head and let out a questioning whine, making me smile wider.

“Hey Nick… can I ask you a question?” I mumbled, biting my lip. He nodded. “Are you nervous about getting married?”

I knew it was a blunt question and I knew that I was blushing soon after the words left my mouth. It was odd, asking a dog if he was nervous about getting married to Nick, but I guess it was a little easier too. We seemed to glance down at my ring simultaneously, our eyes then meeting again. He let out a hot breath.

“Honestly… I am,” he admitted, the softness of his voice making his words echo through my mind.

“I guess I am too,” I breathed, diverting my gaze towards the clouded sky. I furrowed my eyebrows and began to pet him again, letting the grass tickle my face. “But I think I’m more excited than anything.”

I never really liked admitting these kinds of things to Nick. It was completely embarrassing. But we were soul mates and we’d have to share these embarrassing thoughts with each other--or at least I would. I let out another sigh and glanced down, allowing my finger to trace over the sensitive area that lead towards his little nose. His eyes shut with my actions and he seemed to drop down, lying on top of me fully. He was about the same weight in human form, I guessed.

“I mean, I know I’m young-” I started again, “but I know that, eventually, I’d probably want to end up with you anyway.”

It was silent for a moment and I realized Nick was now staring at me again, blinking slowly. It was weird… now I wanted him human--or to just say something. I bit my lip.

“Maybe that sounds a little weird. I’m sorry. I just meant that, well… I don’t know. I just know that I’d-”

“Calm down,” he chuckled nervously. The wolf leaned up some and my eyes locked on his figure, taking in his quick phase with amazement. Nick was now hovering above me, his hands digging into the grass, his thick curls a little disheveled from my constant tugging. “I know what you’re saying,” he whispered, his hot breath hitting my face. Although I loved his short-lived wolf moments, Nick in human form was even better.

“Okay. I just think that being with you is something I’m kind of looking forward to,” I chuckled nervously. He quirked his eyebrows up, his full lips turning into a sideways smirk. I could feel the butterflies start to roam my stomach.

“Kind of?” he questioned, cocking his head to the side. My face flushed.

“Okay, maybe a lot. But-” Before I could finish Nick bent down with another soft chuckle and pressed his lips firmly onto mine, kissing me slowly. That was one way that would always shut me up. One amazingly terrific way.

I lifted my hand and tangled my fingers in his curls, pulling him down a little closer. He rested on his forearms, turning his head to get a better angle at my lips, and I kissed back eagerly. It didn’t matter whether or not we were getting in trouble, thinking too much, or just having fun. The only thing that mattered was Nick and that I had him. I didn’t have to think about the black storm or my nightmares. All I could thing about was the way it felt when he touched me, the electricity that flowed through me whenever his lips met mine; the way my whole body felt warm because of my glow and the way he made my heart beat rapidly. It was all so cliché, but I was Lonnie Stewart: I lived for cliché.

He pulled up after a moment, his soft cheeks flushed with a rosy color, his light eyes gentle along with his smile. He pulled his hand up and brushed his thumb over my cheek, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. His gaze locked with mine.

“You still remind me of a child,” he breathed suddenly. I sighed.

“I look like a child to you? We had sex.” He immediately blushed, shifting almost uncomfortably, but he stayed close--his nose touching mine.

“I’m well aware of that. I was there, you know,” he muttered sarcastically, clearing his throat. “And it’s not that you look like a child, because you don’t…” he trailed off, leaning up enough just to let his eyes trail over me. It was my turn to blush. “I guess it’s just your innocence. That’s one of the things I love about you.”

“There’s more?” I smiled, raising my eyebrows. He rolled his eyes.

“Yes. I’ve told you them already.”

“Awe, but Nick! That was so long ago…” I tried, huffing when he shook his head.

“I’m not going through that again. I still love everything about you.”

“Liar,” I smiled, giggling when he nudged my face with his. Just like a cute little puppy. “You know, when you were in wolf form, I thought you were gonna’ lick my face or something,” I laughed, smiling when he looked at me in shock.

“You thought I was going to--why the heck would I do that?” he laughed, shaking his head.

“I don’t know! Dogs lick people’s faces.”

“If you haven’t noticed, I’m only part wolf. I could be perfectly human,” he breathed, getting me to smile again.

“But you’re not because you’re my cute little puppy-” I started again, raising my hand to pet his face. He shut his eyes and scowled, gripping my wrist quickly as I giggled.

“Quit it,” he grumbled again, locking my arm to the top of my head. “I’m not your little puppy.” The way he said it reminded me of a child. He even pouted his lip out a bit. I liked this Nick, the Nick that was comfortable with me.

“But why not? You’re cute when you’re a wolf boy.”

“Oh great,” he rolled his eyes, propping himself back onto his elbow, careful not to let go of my arm. “Now you only like me when I’m a dog.”

“No!” I laughed uncontrollably, poking his chest with my other hand. “I don’t like you at all.”

He gave me the cutest confused look before his lips twitched upward and I immediately pulled myself away, doing my best to crawl. He gripped my ankle though and practically pounced on me, his fingers meeting their dreaded spot on my sides. I shrieked, curling up every which-way as he tickled me, his own melodic laughter making the butterflies soar once again.

“Nick, stop!” I squealed, trying to crawl again, but he pulled me back, keeping up his antics.

“Why should I listen to you? You don’t like me,” he smirked with amusement, making me groan and gasp for air. Why was I so ticklish? And why did Nick always have to resort to it? I tried to pull away again. I realized that I could just use my magic to make him stop, but there were two things wrong with that: one--I couldn’t focus clearly with his hands on me, and two--I liked it when he was playful. I’d just have to endure it.

“You sound like you’re dying,” he chuckled, slowing his hands until they rested still on my sides. His fingers curled around me and I collapsed onto the grass, laughing.

“Thanks to you!” I managed to choke out, spitting out the grass that got into my mouth. That only caused him to laugh louder. “It’s nice to know you find your only amusement on my behalf,” I grumbled playfully, turning my head to see his bright smile. My heart jumped.

“You just amuse me Lilliani Stewart. You amuse me to no end.”

Before I could answer to his soft voiced words, he wrapped his arms around my waist, twining his fingers against my stomach, and rested his head on my shoulder. He was lying on top of me as I faced the grass, but he supported his own weight--most of it, anyway--and it wasn’t awkward. Being this close to him was never awkward.

“I think my dad’s watching,” I whispered suddenly, feeling a gaze on me. I glanced up towards the window, my sight being blocked by Nick’s soft curls. The ringlets tickled my nose.

“He’s not,” Nick breathed after a moment of looking. There was no one at the window. I could hear Eve’s faint laughter, followed by my father’s, and I wondered what they were talking about. I knew it wasn’t us anymore. “Do you feel like someone’s watching you?” he murmured, his voice suddenly protective as he glanced up, scanning the thick trees. I managed to turn underneath him without disrupting his hold on me. Reaching up, I gripped his chin and pulled him down close, his lips brushing mine.

“More like watching us,” I whispered, staring into his soft but aware chocolate eyes.

He leaned down some more, his lips pressed firmly against mine, but he stopped before he could kiss me. His eyes widened and he pulled back a half an inch, whispering. “I hear something.” He was completely ignoring the fact that I desperately wanted to kiss him. So I ignored his statement and leaned up, pressing my lips to his, curling my hand around his warm, rosy cheek. It took him a moment before he kissed back, the hesitance vanishing once I pulled him closer, snuggling myself into him.

“Ahem,” a familiar voice suddenly sounded, and before I even had time to think, Nick pulled away and jolted up protectively.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry for such the long wait! And the length and overall suckiness of this chapter. But it's something, hopefully. It's mostly a filler--added another cliffhanger at the end. haha. Guess who it is? (: And I wanted to make this sort of cutesy because I missed Nick and Lonnie's playtime. haha.

The reason why it took me so long is because I honestly lost inspiration for this and, as you know, when I lose inspiration I tend to drop the story. A very bad habit. But then I remembered how much fun I had writing Nonnie and the fact that your comments always make me smile and i knew that posting a chapter would give me inspiration for another one. Boring, I know, but I can't wait to read your comments: I missed them!

So... we're getting deeper into the story now and a lot of things will be happening. I'll definitely update faster this time, but it still could be a couple of days.

Sorry for any mistakes, by the way.(: