Status: new, main [:

Summer Lovin'

One surfer caught my eye in particular though. He seemed to be the best out there, since he was staying on his board the longest and rarely crashed. I could clearly see his face, since we were a bit too far, but even Ray Charles could see he was determined to conquer a big wave. He got on his board, paddling out farther and farther into the ocean, until a huge wave started to form. He got off his board, probably deciding that wave was just too big, and watched as it came closer and closer to him. Suddenly, once the wave hit him, he disappeared. I gasped a little, ready to run over and save him since he didn't surface for a minute. The wave was long gone before he finally came up, relief washing over me.

Something about this kid…something inside me had to make sure he was safe. It was weird, considering I can’t even see his face.

[&&&&]

"No! Mom, I don't want to leave here! I can't leave him!" I begged, already feeling the tears sting the corners of my eyes. "Not now."

"I'm sorry, honey, but we have to get back to home. We have to leave. I'm so sorry." She said apologetically, shaking her head. "Don't you want to get back to your friends? Back to Addie?"

"I'd rather leave all my friends and stay here. I...I can't leave him. Not now." A tear had rolled down my cheek and fell off my quivering chin. This can't be happening.

"It's not like you love him, Nahla."

I bit my lip, shaking my head. "Mom...I do love him."