‹ Prequel: Brendan Dude
Status: Regular updates every Sunday and Wednesday (when it begins)

Lukey Kid

Hit the Lights

“Ladies and gents, we’re here tonight to celebrate the future success of this debut album…it will be an awesome release just in time for Thanksgiving, and it’s chock fulla great songs that’re-”

“Olli, just shut up and put it in!” Justin growled.

Brendan, next to me, yelled, “That’s what she said!”

But first! A toast!”

Chants of “Yeah” and “Amen” rose from the Not Listening family. Tonight was the night before Plaster Caster’s debut CD would hit the shelves of a few select Awesome Deals and the Internet – November 17th. I’d never been happier standing among my heroes - not as a kid, but as one of them.

Hit the Lights!”

CJ, a dude from the ska band The Max, leaped up on an enormous table in Rai’s mansion to do a dance. He played a little ditty on his trombone, which I later recognized as the main riff of “Anonymous.”

And when Olli pressed play, Plaster Caster said goodbye to being anonymous to the world…well, the Southeast United States, at least.

Powerful chords ripped through the air, our first song ever recorded – “Melody” - getting these people to jump around. Music twisted around our souls and shook the house down as everyone banged their heads.

I smiled all night.

I felt two small arms pull me into a tight hug around my waist; somehow, I just knew who it was. “Aaron!” I cheered, hugging him back.

“You did awesome!” he slurred, muffled by my chest. He pushed away and grinned just like I did - I wouldn’t have missed that for the world.

“Watch out -” he warned, a little too late.

The wind was knocked out of me as I lunged forward, almost falling on my face. When I regained my balance, Aaron was laughing his butt off as Brendan clung onto me.

I love you, man! Yeah!”

I snorted a feel-good laugh, music pulsing through my veins. “Wow, that’s not creepy at all!”

Ya dang right it’s not!” he laughed, and then left to get another pop. By then, the first song had passed and the second track poured out of the speakers.

Once the familiar drum beat of “Anonymous” erupted, everybody started cheering like this was an actual concert. Then the jumping started, chaos ensuing in poor Rai’s home. Oddly enough, he didn’t seem to mind.

I was pushed around more times than I could count as I bumped into people I didn’t even know. Aaron shook the hair out of his eyes and rammed into my side, playing around.

I thought it was kind of funny how ironic this song seemed to be now. It was the first song we’d ever played live, the song we performed at the Claymore Middle talent show…what a night. After that, our anonymity seemed to fade away, at least in Claymore. We weren’t nobodies anymore - everybody at school knew our names. Then, everyone on the southeast coast knew our names.

And with Not Listening Records, the world could know our names.

“This needs a music video!” Aaron suggested, throwing his hands in the air. A light switched on in my brain.

“Holy…holy crap!” I stuttered, “You’re right!”

Soria and Ren came up behind us. “Who’s right?” Ren asked, yelling above the noise.

“You wanna make a music video with this song?” I shouted. They smiled simultaneously, bobbing their heads in agreement.

Once again I felt a body slam into my back. I toppled forward, hitting the floor with a thud. “I’m sorry man! Accident!”

Yeah, someone probably spiked the punch.

“Get off’a me!” I coughed, trying to rise up despite Brendan’s weight. He got off and grabbed my shoulder, helping me up. He laughed the entire time, slapping my back.

Joey ran up to us, out of breath. “Guys! Get over here!”

Of course, we did. To the crowd surrounding Rai, to be welcomed by Olli and Fire Motion. They hooted and cheered, pulling and pushing us around, congratulating our release.

Olli decided to yip and ear piercing yelp of what I guessed was joy. “I wanna tell! I wanna tell!”

The area went silent. Our hearts pounded, my palms dripping sweat.

Tell us what?!

We’re touring!”

Plaster Caster’s mouths dropped.

On the stereo, the song Anonymous ended and our debut CD – “Hit the Lights” - went to the next song, “Be Still.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I named their first CD before I realized that there's a band called Hit The Lights...