Status: HIATUS

The Life of An American Orphan.

'Cause i do understand.

Sorry you got mail twice about this, my computer was slow :P

Jen’s P.O.V
The dinner was amazing and so was the dessert that followed. Not sure what it was but I looked like a very fancy version of chocolate soufflé, it took me everything to not just pig in.

Matt’s mother had tried to make some small talk in which Matt’s father wasn’t interested in participating in, that dude is very strange.

“Hey Jen, would you like to dance?” Matt asked and I looked around the room seeing most of the people dancing to slow music.

I got a little nervous but nodded my head nonetheless “Sure” I said with a small smile.

He got up and offered me his hand which I took, we both walked out to the floor. He put his right hand on the side of my left hip and his left hand gently grasped my right hand and held it up to about shoulder height and I gently placed my left hand on his shoulder. We both started to softly sway with the music.

Our eyes met and I couldn’t take mine away, it was like my eyes were numb and couldn’t move but that’s ok because I wouldn’t want them to for anything in the world. Matt gave me a soft smile which I happily returned and moved a little closer.

Matt’s left hand slid down to the right side of my hip and I let both of my hands go around his neck our eyes still keeping contact. I slowly got drawn into Matt and I saw him slowly moving his head down to mine. My eyes fluttered and soon shut as we were only centimeters apart. I could feel his breath on my cheeks and I knew it was only a matter of seconds until our lips would meet, the butterflies in my stomach started to move like crazy.

“FIRE!”

Both of our eyes quickly opened at the screaming woman and not long after the fire alarms were heard and water came down from the fire sprinklers in the ceiling. We pulled apart and I looked around at the frantic people trying to escape the big ballroom. I felt someone tugging on my arm and I saw that it was Matt. I tried to follow Matt but he was way faster than me and dragged me along. We both stopped in the big hallway and he picked me up bridesmaid style (making me widen my eyes and clinging on to him for my life) and ran out to the front of thecastle house.

He put me down and leaned over catching his breath. I looked at thecastle house but didn’t see any big fire so it couldn’t have been anything big.

I started to shiver seeing as my shawl was inside with my purse on the table.

“Here, it’s a little wet but it’s better than nothing” Matt said and put his jacket around me.

I gave him a small smile which he returned “Thank you.”

“Hey Matt, what’s going on?” Brian asked coming over to us with the rest of the guys and girl.

“Don’t know man” Was all he replied with and we all returned to watching the house looking for any sign for the fire.

We stood there for at least half an hour looking at the house and making small talk until one of the fire men said that it was safe and it was only a small fire in the kitchen.

I could hear several people sigh and we all started to make our way inside to the ballroom that was now wet and messy from the fire sprinklers. We got to our table where I immediately went for my purse and opened it. Thankfully nothing had gotten wet so I was in the clear, my dress on the other hand was wet and a little dirty.

“I’m sorry for this little inconvenience but we will have someone clean up in here immediately, in the mean time why don’t we move over to the living room” Gary shouted from the stage and people started to move out from the ball room. I took my shawl and purse and started to walk until Matt softly grabbed my hand and turned me around.

“How about we go somewhere else? I mean he is just going to give the charity the big check and then there’s coffee and more dancing and talking” He said.

“Eh, sure” I said with a smile and he softly put his hand on my lower back and led me out to his car.

LATERLATERLATERLATER

Matt had ended up driving us to a small park. Not that I care, I love parks.

“I’m sorry about that, it was not exactly how I had expected this night to go” He said as we both sat on the swing.

“It’s ok, I mean it’s not like you meant for it to happen. And up until the fire and everyone running I had fun.” I said and looked at him with a smile on his face.

“Well I’m glad you had” He said and looked back at me with a smile that showed off his dimples.

We kept our eyes on each other for what felt like hours but in reality was only seconds. I know Matt said we did this only as friends but we almost kissed dude, friends don’t kiss. (Unless you’re friends with benefits) I swallowed hard and broke our small starring contest and started to swing a little looking down at the ground.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked in a shaky voice knowing I was going down a path I might not want to go down just yet.

“Sure, anything” He said.

I looked up and into his eyes not exactly knowing how to ask the question, we don’t know each other that much but then again he almost kissed me. Oh god that sounded lame.

“What do you want to be when you grow up” I mentally kicked my ass for being a chicken. I must be the lamest person alive.

“Uhm I’m not sure yet. Maybe an astronaut or a fire man” Matt said and we both laughed.

“Why?” He asked looking a little confused at me.

I shook my head quickly “Just making small talk” I said and sighed to myself. I’m officially a scaredy cat.

“Well I know I don’t want to be like my dad, that’s for sure” He said and looked down at the ground.

“Why not? You’re dad is…” I said trying to find the right word to describe him.

“Exactly, I don’t want to grow up being like my dad” He still had his head hanging low and I was starting to get concerned.

“Matt what’s wrong?” I asked and got off the swing and bend in front of him not caring about my dress.

“My dad is cheating in my mom” He said with a soft voice.

“I’m sorry” I said and tried to capture his eyes.

“The worst part is that she knows it” He said and I was in shock.

“What?” I asked.

“She could have left but she’s with him for the money” He said and met my eyes and I was more in shock when I saw that he was in tears.

“Oh my god” Was all I could say.

I heard Matt gently sniff and he reached his hand up to wipe the tears away, I bit my lower lip as I looked at him and then pulled him into a hug.

“I’m so sorry” I said as I felt tears falling on my shoulder.

We stayed like that for a couple of minutes and he kept telling me about how his dad is always gone on business trips or locked inside his office caring about nothing else than scamming other people and making money. His mom is one of those trophy wives who is also one for money (only she spends them) and she is apparently a socialite.

“I’m sorry for dumping all of this on you” He said and got up from the swing and started to move to the car.

“It’s ok, really. Everybody needs somebody to talk to, everything can’t be bottled up inside” I said and thanked him as he opened the door for me. He got in his car and started to drive and it didn’t take long until we were at the orphanage.

We both got out and he came over to my side and took my hand in his as he led me to the front porch of the orphanage.

“Despite the small fire, all the water and me losing a little bit of my manliness, I had fun” He said making both of us smile and I chuckled.

“It sure was different but fun” I said still smiling.

“Even though some of this night got ruined there is one thing I can’t mess up” He said looking at me.

“What?” I asked and looked at him. Next thing I know his lips meet mine.

Being taken by surprise I don’t do anything for a couple of seconds but when I do know what’s happening I smile in my thoughts, close my eyes and kiss back.

Before when I looked into Matt’s eyes it felt like hours and I wish the kiss would feel like it, but it only lasted for seconds. We both pulled apart to catch our breath (damn you lungs)

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” He asked softly.

“What?” I asked a little confused, I was still trying to come back to earth and make sure up is up and down is down.

“I answered, now it’s your turn” He said with a smile.

I laughed gently “Photographer, that’s what I want to be” I said and he nodded.

“That’s cool.” He said and this time I nodded.

“Want to do something tomorrow?” He suddenly asked.

“I can’t, I have to stay here all tomorrow.” I said even though I didn’t want to.

“That’s alright, some other time then” He said with a smile.

“I’d like that, thank you for letting me borrow your jacket back there” I said.

“No problem, I couldn’t let you freeze” He said and I softly chuckled.

“I’ll see you on Monday then” He said.

I nodded “Yeah”

He took my right hand and kissed it and then we both said goodbye, I watched as he walked to the car and gave me a last wave before getting inside and driving away. I still had a big smile on my face and opened up the front door.

“Matthew and Jennifer sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g”

Was the first thing I heard when I got inside, Sarah was standing in the middle of the hallway with a big smile on her face. I felt my cheek reddening but Sarah nonetheless dragged me from the hallway and up to our room.

“So I saw the kiss, what happened before that?” She asked sitting on her bed.

I smiled and sat on my bed and started telling her about the wonderful evening I’ve had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Can't believe that i have 49 comments after putting up just 9 chapters, i am truly amazed :D
Another thing i can't believe is that when i press the submit button 142 people are going to get a mail saying that this story had been updated :D :D

One thing that does make me sad is that school is starting in 6 days :(

FUN FACT: This was suppose to be a filler but turned into a chapter x]

Please comment :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D (Because you just can't get enough smilys)