Sequel: Not Afraid to Die
Status: posted twice 11/26

Smiling at Everything

Chapter 39

"You guys have been fantastic," Neon yelled into the microphone, "But this is the end of out show."

Various protests were heard from the fans. A smile graced Jazz's face, eyes sparkling, adrenaline running through her veins.

"Don't worry, we'll be back next year," Neon said.

"Unless Neon gets knocked up again," Lestat commented into his own microphone.

Each member on stage had a microphone. Mainly for the purpose of communicating with the crowd. It worked better than sharing microphones.

"No, we'll make Neon dance like a circus animal on stage if she's pregnant," Dorian countered.

"You'd make a pregnant woman dance like a circus animal?" Dante asked

Dorian shook his head, "Just Neon."

"It’s the pink hair," Arpeggio stated, "Makes her look like she should be dancing like a circus animal."

"Oh snap," Dorian said.

"Thanks, Arpeggio," Neon turned to Jazz, "You don't think my hair makes me look like I should be a dancing circus animal, do you?"

"More like clown if you cake on your makeup," Jazz responded.

Neon huffed, turning back to the crowd, "Well, on that note. Thank you all for coming to the show tonight. I hope you enjoyed."

With that, members of the band tossed random items at the crowd; a few picks, some drum sticks, water bottles, the usual. One by one, they waved, disappearing off stage. Zack immediately swept Jazz into his arms once she was behind the curtains.

"You did amazing," he said.

"Thanks," Jazz said, flushing.

He was so sweet to her. This wasn't Jazz's first performance but he felt the need to tell her she performed well. Maybe he thought she was still off balance from the conversation they had earlier, that he thought he needed to prove he wasn't leaving her side.

"There's dinner in the conference room," Grim called over the excited chatter.

"Party," Dorian exclaimed.

As a group, the members of All Time Low and RxN walked through the various backstage hallways to the conference room, which they piled into on arrival. The scent of food immediately flooded Jazz's sense. Her stomach growled, angry for not being fed the whole day.

She had been too upset to eat. But she was better now. The performance helped clear her mind. It was okay that Zack knew she had been raped. She was anxious though. How could he not hate her? How could he still be standing by her side, helping her find a seat in the mass of tables and chairs? Why hadn't he abandoned her yet?

Jazz shook her head, throwing the thoughts from her mind. Zack pulled a chair out for her. Her stomach immediately flipped at the gesture. No guy she knew had ever done that for her. A few women, maybe, but no men. Her past boyfriends always had their mind in one area, the one area Jazz would never fulfill.

Jazz took the seat, smiling brightly at Zack. He smiled in return.

"What do you want to eat?" Zack asked, motioning toward the buffet-style food tables.

"If they have sandwiches, I'll a take a turkey one," Jazz said, "If not, some fruits or a salad will do just fine."

"Okay. I'll be right back."

Jazz kept her eyes on Zack as he walked around various tour workers to the food table. He was making it clear he would take care of her, she could see that. Zack wouldn't ditch her over something like her past. In fact, he seemed to embrace the fact that she had opened up to him fully, that she bared all. She felt stupid for being worried. Zack was more understanding than that and she should have given him credit.

She liked the newfound realization though. Her trust could be fully placed in Zack. Any secret or fear she had, she could tell him and not be worried that he would judge her.

Zack returned within minutes, two plates of food in hand. He placed one in front of Jazz and the other in front of his chair. Two turkey sandwiches lay in Jazz's plate, while Zack's was filled with foods of all kinds.

"Did I get the right thing?" Zack asked, sitting down in the seat next to Jazz.

"Yeah. Thanks," Jazz said.

"Are you okay?" Zack asked.

"A little off. But I'll be okay."

"Is this about earlier?" Zack kept his voice low.

"Yeah."

"You don't regret telling me, do you?"

"No," Jazz said quickly, "Of course not. It's just weird having someone who knows. It takes some adjusting, that's all."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Start a witty conversation," Jazz paused, "Oh wait, you're not witty."

Zack pouted, though he was happy to hear her start picking at him again. He was beginning to think she would close up completely, just drop all of the progress they made.

He wouldn't have been able to handle it if she did. Having her open up to him was the most amazing thing. Her friends were missing out and that was partially their fault.

"That's not fair," Zack said, "You didn't give me a chance to be witty."

"You had your chance, Beatrice. A true witty scholar would have noticed it."

"Lies," Zack declared.

"Is that really you're comeback?"

"I thought it was fitting."

"It lacked substance."

"Oh really?"

"That lacked substance too."

"Know what doesn't lack substance?" Zack asked, standing from his chair.

He was ready to do this. It was something he had been planning while Jazz was performing. She told him everything. She knew by now she could trust him with anything. Though he didn't know if she was ready, he would ask anyway.

He had waited long enough, hadn't he?

"What are you doing?" Jazz asked.

He held up a finger to quiet her before picking up the cup of water and fork that had been placed in front of his spot. Lightly, he tapped the fork against the glass. The sound drew attention of the band members in the room to him.

"Hi, I'm Zack. Most of you know me but, if you don't, now you do. I—"

"Are you proposing a toast?" Dante cut in, eyebrow raised.

"No," Zack answered, "You can propose a toast after this if you want."

"What are you doing then?" Rian asked.

This, whatever it was, was more of a Jack or Alex stunt. Not a Zack stunt. Zack sat quietly while other people acted like fools. Jack and Alex drew attention to themselves hourly.

"I'm getting there," Zack said, "So, like I said, I'm Zack. And you all should know by now that I don't normally do this type of thing. I figured it would mean more to do this in front of all of you this time."

"Dude, stop stalling and spit it out," Alex said.

"Fine," Zack turned to the keyboardist in the seat next to him, "Jazz, will you be my girlfriend?"

Jazz's breath caught in her throat, heartbeat escalating, stomach flipping uncontrollably. Eyes burned into her from all directions, awaiting her answer.

"Are you serious?" Jazz squeaked.

Zack nodded. Jazz jumped from her seat, throwing her body against Zack's and wrapping her arms around his neck. Zack gripped the table with one hand to keep upright and let his other arm slip around Jazz's waist.

"Is that a 'yes'?" Zack asked, chuckling.

"Yes," Jazz said, rubbing her face against Zack's neck.

"I think this calls for a toast," Dorian said, "My lover has a boyfriend who isn't a douche."

Laughs and cheers could be heard around the table. Jazz couldn't help laughing. She was happy, ecstatic even.

Hopefully, her mood would last.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to rivals are insane, The-Ugly-Duckling, Myssa is stellar, erika_xtc, SynfulxColors, AllTimeMinor., and SpinningInCircles.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
So, I've been working on the new story a bit
And my lead character is kind of different from my others.
I dunno, she's not really an "I hate life" type of character.
And she doesn't have any psychological problem/never faced some form of psychological problem.
Which is weird considering what I'm making her suffer from and how she got it.
(If you recall, Arpeggio attempted suicide and was really sheltered/shy, Neon was anorexic with a bit of a family complex, and Jazz... well... I just fucked up Jazz's life.)
So I hope you like her even though she may not be what you're expecting.
Like I said, you'll find out more about her later.
In a few chapters, I think.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste