My Opinion Doesn't Matter

Chapter 2

My body jolted as I felt cold sweat run down my forehead. My breathing staggered as my heartbeat took twice its normal rate. My eyes opened to the darkness of my room. Sighing heavily I noticed it was just a dream...

Or more like nightmare.

I sat up slowly to look around my darkened room. I jumped at the wind as it rattled against my window. Sighing once again, I pushed my covers off of me. I pushed until my feet met with the cold floor of my room. Each step sounded a 'creek' as I made my way out of my bedroom.

The hallway was as silent as the rest of the house. The bedroom doors were closed with a sleeping human in each one. The storm outside rumbled, letting a cry of thunder echo through out the house.

I jumped slightly at the beam of lightning that lit the hallway. My feet moved quicker as I scurried to the bathroom. Once my body made it into the bathroom I closed the door behind me and switched on the light.

At first my sight was blurred as it tried to get used to the light instead of the dark, but as soon as my eyes focused I couldn't help, but cringed at the being that was staring straight back at me. The mirror showed off every tangle of hair and the dark bags under the eyes.

Every time I look into the mirror I see an unknown human being, someone who wasn't me. Just another follower, another person without choices of their own. This wasn't the real me.

But I couldn't change that...

â™ 

"Veronica!" My name rang through the garden. My heart started to beat faster as I rushed to hide my notebook. I scrambled to tuck it away and out of sight as I heard footsteps grow near. "Ronnie!" The voice cried again. This time it was louder. Once I had the notebook hidden between a few patches of flowers I looked up to see my mother's face.

"There you are." She said with her hands rested on her hips.

I stared at my mother. I wanted her looks so badly. Her body was petite, but full of beauty. Her hair was always curled perfectly around her cheekbones and her lips were so full set below her honey colored eyes.

"Here I am." I said shifted uncomfortably as she glared down behind me. I closed my eyes as I hoped she didn't see the cover of the navy blue notebook.

"Well you've got to get going. We're going to the Cashmeres' party in an hour or so and you need to get ready. Her son, Nathanial, is turning 18 and it's his party to celebrate." I bit my lip not letting the words I wanted to say come out, but instead let the only words that would be accepted.

"Alright I'm coming right away." My mother's lips curved into a slight smile before she turned and muttered to herself,

"I don't remember telling Bethany to plant blue flowers next to the lilies." A sigh of relief washed over me as I fell back onto the freshly cut grass. The sun beamed against my skin. Any longer out here and I'd be as red as a tomato, for sunburns would soon start to appear on my pale skin. I scooped up my notebook underneath my arm and I made my way towards the house, hoping that when my mother would come back with Beth that she wouldn't think twice of blue flowers being there.

I hated going to parties. All there would be were high-class families dressed into the highest fashion gowns and tuxes with their children all being accepted into Harvard or Princeton or some fancy college like that. Never mentioned would be a community college or even a non-college go-err. All went where their parents went.

It really sickened me to see how these kids just fell in their parents’ footsteps. I always wondered if any of them wanted to be some other than what their parents wanted. If they just wanted to run away and find a place without demands from elders or stress being put upon them.

If any of them were like me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's pretty late, but I haven't felt like writing, even though this story is stuck in my head a lot I never feel like putting the words on the computer and in a chapter.
Comments on the story will make me happy. :]