Sequel: Two Lives As One
Status: Check out Two Lives As One! Picks up at Christmas time after the events in this story :)

One Life To Live

Round One

I heard a rhythmic knock on my dorm door at five minutes till, and as I added my last touch of mascara to my lashes, I dashed off to open it up. Standing there was Lance – clad in his usual dark wash jeans, but spiced up with an elegant button-down, long sleeved shirt. His midnight hair was combed to perfection, leaving strands of his silky smooth, wavy hair framing his olive skinned face. His intense, heart-stopping green eyed gaze was the final thing that I assessed. As I looked into his eyes, I found a grim solemninity there that I hadn’t seen before. A strand of his hair swept down off his forehead, and he spoke, “*Mio caro.” He took my hand and spun me around, his eyes skimming over my body - getting a full view of what I had on. “You look gorgeous.”

I blushed scarlet - it was an instant reaction to any of his praise - his hands reached out to rest on my hips, and I smoothed my knee-high sundress imprinted with vibrant flowers constructed with a box neckline and A-line skirt. My hair was gathered together in low bun with locks of curling hair framing my face. I picked a nice shade of rose red for my lips, I had my lavender clasp in hand, and black flats on my feet.

“As do you,” My fingers ran up his chest to fiddle aimlessly with the collar of his shirt, and his hand snagged my wrist a moment later. He brought my hand up to his lips, and planted a soft, supple gossamer kiss each one of the tips of my fingers.

Feeling the rush of heat making its way up my neck, I asked, suddenly self conscious, “Is it too much?” I glanced down at myself, and back up to meet his eyes.

He paused momentarily, and ran his thumb across one of the flowers on the bodice of my dress. He smiled secretively to himself, and shook his head, “No. Their hearts will stop once they spot you, darling.”

Hell, I thought, I didn’t look too revealing did I? “Well, maybe I should get into something more suitable then. I don’t want your parents’ thinking-”

“*Tesoro,” he interrupted, “You are perfectly suitable. So suitable I couldn't think of why they'd ever say no to you. Plus,” he continued bluntly, “I could care less what they have to say. You’re my girlfriend and that’s not going to change.”

“It isn’t?” I grinned playfully. Just him declaring that I was his girlfriend sent shivers up and down my spine. I sighed, I was Lance’s girlfriend.

He brought me tighter against him, and into his arms. He traced a line of chaste kisses from my cheek to the corner of my mouth. He stopped there abruptly, and murmured, “I’d kiss you, but I don’t want to ruin your makeup.”

Dismissing that statement entirely, I tugged him by his collar closer to me, watching as a devilish grin appeared on his handsome face. His nose brushed against mine – the toxic rustic smell of his cologne washed over me, and his lips began to move in sync with mine. His hands caressed my cheek, and I felt myself sinking in deeper letting go of a subtle sigh.

I knew bringing the tube of lipstick with me would be a good idea this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------
We arrived at a home located in the Bronx about ten or fifteen minutes away from Manhattan's Upper West Side. It wasn’t one you expected to see there – the architecture of the home was dazzling. The house had an essence of a Mediterranean theme – decoratively engraved windows, and it a beautiful dark tan hue. In the front yard, there were two trees that were sprouting rustic red and yellow colors as if preparing for the end of fall, and a stone bird bath along with a pathway leading up to the entryway. I took a deep breath while registering that there were already four cars parked in the almost endless driveway.

My heart broke out into a sudden sprint, and I glanced over at Lance in question. He immediately spoke up, and explained, “My brothers and sister are here. You already know Paul, and I got another brother – Vinny, and a sister – Meg. I’m sure Paul brought his girlfriend, Kat along, too.” He met my eyes and studied me intently trying to figure out how I was going to take this.

“Oh, okay.” I responded, surprise coloring my voice. I tried to my best to keep the meek, frightened little girl voice from seeping into my words.

“Don’t worry,” he said in a hushed tone, obviously catching what I longed to keep private, “I’ll be by you the whole time, and they’ll be on their best behavior.”His fingers threaded through mine as he took my hand.

I smiled at him while my throat and chest were closing up more in anticipation than real fear. All his family were there plus Paulie’s girlfriend, Kat. The expectations of myself and a million treacherous thoughts were weighing down heavy on my mind as Lance hit the unlock, and came around to open my door for me. He took my arm, and led me across the steps up to the front door. I squeezed his hand just to feel the reassurance that he was still standing there beside me. I felt his strong, certain grip reciprocate as he cast a comforting sidelong glance my way. I mentally and psychically took a deep breath as Lance knocked on the door.

It flew open a few heartbeats later, and there stood a beautiful middle-aged woman who I instantly registered as being related to Lance because of the way she mirrored Lance’s sweet smile, and dark, wavy features. A look of exclamation crossed her tanned face, and she finally spoke, “Oh my. So, this is the gorgeous Melanie I’ve heard about.”

My body perked up happily, and I smiled kindly at her, relieved. Getting on the good side of the mother was always the best route to go in any situation.“Oh goodness, I don’t know if I deserve that for a compliment.”

Her eyes crinkled in response. “By the looks of it, you most absolutely do.”

“I’m glad you think so.” I gave her a humbled smile. “You look stunning yourself, Mrs. Capra.”

“Oh dear,” her voice picked up so that the individuals in the other room could hear, “I’m thinkin’ this one’s a keeper, boys.” Two laughing souls chorused in the background – God bless them. “Oh, and sweetheart, do call me Elodie.”

I nodded, “I will.”

She gestured for Lance and me to step inside the entryway. Upon doing so, I glanced around in awe at the extravagant interior. A crystalline chandelier rose a top of the ceiling, dark leather furniture splashed decoratively around the home, expensive pottery and ceramics adding style, and beautiful paintings arrayed the walls. I slipped off my flats by the pile situated along the hallway rug, and surged behind Elodie Capra, with Lance’s encouraging hand resting on the small of my back. She led me into a dining room where the rest of the Capra’s were seated at a long, cherry wood table where two spots were open. Lance brushed my back before he went to kitchen to dish us up some mostacolli and garlic bread.

Elodie paused at the head of the table, and announced, “Everyone, this is Melanie, the one I told you about.”

I extended the best pleasant, but not overly excited smile I could manage, and briefly waved, “Hello.”

Scrutinizing gazes filled the tense atmosphere as I knew I was being analyzed and assessed. My eyes slowly traveled through each one of them, trying to make a connection with each of them. Then, my eyes approached Paulie’s warm, waiting smile – he then winked at me. I smiled in delight. It was nice to know at least one person for sure in Lance’s family cared for me. Elodie, once again spoke up. “Now I know this rowdy crowd a little more than you do, honey, so-” She searched the room for one in particular, “ah, so this is our Meg.” She gestured her hand to a lovely woman with hazel eyes framed with long lashes, a lighter, cropped brunette style of hair that reached down to her shoulders, and a tough, athletic physique. She smiled grudgingly at me, and dropped her gaze to consume a fork full of spaghetti. I nodded, smiling at her.

“And we have Vinny,” she smiled. My gaze shifted over to him, proceeding to cordially recognize him like I did Meg. I dawned a more reserved smile as I took in his complete lack of interest in meeting me. He slouched in his chair, subtly raising his eyebrows as Elodie introduced us. You could tell he was related to Lance - with what seemed to be the same olive skin, raven black hair, and body style even though he seemed to be a couple inches shorter even sitting down. Though, what I’d noticed with Lance and Paulie was that they always seemed to be smiling, talking, and having a good time. This Capra was skeptical and closed off.

“My Paulie, of course.” Elodie slid her gaze to the grinning Italian man next to the gloomy brother. “I’m sure you’ve encountered him more than once.” She pretended to be motherly and no-nonsense, but you could tell she loved him a lot.

Who couldn’t love Paulie?

He was leaning back in his seat, a hand possessively on his girlfriend Kat’s leg, smiling at me. “Mmm, yes, once or twice.”

“Don’t be tellin’ any secrets in there, Paul.” Lance called out from the kitchen as he was dishing up plates. Lance turned and whipped out a playful grin.

“Hey, you know me.” He grinned at Kat. “Can’t keep my mouth shut.”

“Don’t I know that,” Kat added, smiling at him.

Paulie’s grin widened and he squeezed her leg. Elodie spoke up once again, “And if it isn’t obvious enough already, Paulie’s girlfriend Kat.” She smiled at them, and Kat gave her a look of apology. Kat was gorgeous – a leggy, dark-haired goddess with pale green eyes and a beautiful smile. It seemed Paulie was into eye candy, but you could also sense that this woman had a lot of class. Which scored her a lot of points with me.

Did I even have a say in this? I don’t know.

“And finally - most importantly - the head honcho around this joint, my husband Xavier.” She went to the head of his chair and rested on top of it with her hands on his shoulders. He was a broad man – his head of hair as full as Lance’s, the same midnight black, his skin a shade darker however, and his dark brown eyes zoned in on me.

My smile was small, only because this man scared me half to death right about now. “Nice to meet you, sir.”

“Mmm, yes.” He replied in a deep voice, finishing off his glass of what looked to be scotch.

Lance returned to the table - to my immense relief - and made a point to appear right at my side. “Why are we in the house? It’s a nice day out.”

“You may have a point, Lance.” Elodie almost looked relieved he said this. “Why don’t we take this outside?”

Vinny finally made somewhat of an amused face and got up from his seat, “Exactly what I was thinking.”

I peered up at Lance, and smiled, leaning into him slightly. “Hey.”

“Hi,” he gave me a heartwarming smile, his eyes crinkling. “I got you this.” He handed me a plate half full of mostacolli, a garlic bread, and red wine in a glass.

“Thanks, bab-” I cut myself off, finding some propriety in this family setting. “Lance.” I smiled wide.

He laughed, clutching me close to his side. “You’re welcome….sweetheart.”

I couldn’t help it – my heart melted when he said things like that. I took a hold of his iron arm, a look of admiration filling my face as I placed my head on his shoulder. I truly did care for this guy.

As we walked out to the patio, I sighed in relief.

At least the most difficult part was over.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Mio caro = my dear
*Tesoro = darling (;
Not bad so far at the family dinner.
But keep in mind, this is only Round One!
Love,
Lauren<33