‹ Prequel: Honest in Lies

Deceptive in Truth

seven

Candy woke up; Devin had left. She was starting to despise the good boy act, and needed something to take her mind off of men in general. Naturally, she went to the gym. Even though she could tear anyone she pleased to shreds; she needed to keep up with her agility and ‘human’ strength. As she was working up on all but ripping the punching bag from its chains, a man approached her. Vampire. He didn’t smell territorial, or even look like he was looking for trouble.

“Need help?” he asked softly; his voice was sweetly laced with kindness.

Candy eyed him up and down; weary of him in general. “Sure,” she said slowly.

He positioned himself behind the punching bag; holding it tight. “So you’re her?”

“If by her, you mean the half breed everyone wants dead, then yes.” She spun around, slamming her foot into the bag, almost knocking her spotter to the ground.

“Honestly, I don’t want you dead. My Coven does though.” He winced as she did a jab combo, almost taking out his nose as she did so. “Angry?”

“Your Coven wants me dead? Even better,” she hissed, back handing the bag, with more force then she intended and ended up leaving her hand pounding. “When you’re me, you’re always angry.”

“But I don’t. And I can understand why you’re angry,” he said, looking down at her hand with a worried expression “If I lost people I cared about, I’d be angry too.”

“You have no idea what I’m going through.” She turned from him to keep from drawing attention to a half breed ripping a vampire’s throat out.

“Alright, so I don’t. But I can guess.”

“No, you can’t.”

“And why the hell not?”

“Because,” she said scrunching up her nose to keep tears back. “You. You weren’t the reject in the family. You weren’t the cause of tension. You weren’t the one who had to watch them all die, all look you square in the eyes as if they were condemning you. You didn’t have to hold the love of your life, and watch his eyes roll back into his head as he died.” She looked him up and down, tears threatening. “You have no idea what I’m going through.”

The vampire looked down at her. Candy just realized how tall he was, and how stupid she was being. “You’re right. I don’t know what you’re going through. But…my Coven, they’ve been spying on you. Spying since you came to town. They plan on ambushing you’re apartment at a quarter after midnight tonight.”

“Why are you telling me this?” she asked, her eyes drying up.

You don’t deserve what’s going to come to you in this lifetime. I just thought, I’d put a helping hand in. not all of us are the bad guys.”

Candy looked at him, trying to find some hint of sketchiness. She didn’t find any. Furrowing her eyebrows, Candy looked at him one last time, square in the eyes before turning away. About halfway towards the door, she turned to find him staring after her. “Thanks.” She turned around and went home to wait for the real fun to begin.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments=updates.