Sequel: If We Don't Die Today
Status: complete and still welcome for comments!

But Maybe We'll Live Forever

The Speech & The Underground;

Morning came relatively fast, much to my – and Party Poison’s – dismay. We’d spent the whole night awake, talking, and kissing. By the time light shone in the corners of the garage, we were both exhausted but not tired at all. If that makes any sense.

We walked back to the cars. Party and I shared one final kiss before I slid into Ritalin Revolver’s car. I looked toward Party, who was getting in his own car. But it wasn’t his face looking back at me that I saw.

Kobra Kid’s dark eyes were on me, intense as ever. He’d seen me and Party’s final kiss, I assumed. I looked back at him for a moment, biting my lip, before I looked down at my hands. I felt his gaze on me for a little while longer. When I looked back up, I saw him leaning against the seat, his eyes wide open as he stared at the roof of the car, looking… hurt.

I sighed and stared at my hands again before Grace’s voice startled me. “Are you and Party Poison in love?”

I jumped and looked back to see her big eyes staring at me curiously. I bit my lip and shrugged, then said, “I… I don’t know, Grace.”

“Then why did you kiss?”

“How long have you been awake, Sunshine?”

“Why did you kiss?”

I sighed. “It’s been a long night, Grace. People get emotional when they’re tired.” I looked out the window and looked at Kobra Kid, whose eyes were closed. I wondered if I’d imagined it.

“Kobra Kid must be tired a lot, then,” Grace said, running a little hand through her wild curls.

“What?” I asked quickly, turning and looking at her.

“He looks at you the way Party Poison was looking at you all the time.”

“Looking at me how?”

“Like he’s been punched in the face… but the punch felt good.” Grace shrugged, looking at me with her big curious eyes, a cross between knowing and not fully understanding.

I took a deep breath, looking out of the windshield at nothing in particular, feeling my heart pound a little louder than usual. Like he’s been punched in the face, but the punch felt good. Where had Grace gotten that saying? It was too smart and grown up for her. She couldn’t have come up with that on her own…

“Atomic? Are you okay?” Grace put her little hand on my shoulder and looked at me, concerned. “You look like you’re gonna cry.”

“No, it’s okay, Sunshine,” I said, wiping my eyes and taking another deep breath. “Like I said, it’s been a long night, and people get emotional when they’re tired.”

“You should’ve gotten more sleep.”

“Yeah,” I said, looking at Party Poison, whose hand was resting on the steering wheel of his car. He was staring off at the wall, probably lost in thought, the way he always seemed to be. “I probably should’ve.”

It was silent for a moment as I stared at Party. My eyes wandered over to Kobra again, who looked like he’d been asleep the whole night, never awake. I knew I hadn’t imagined it now; the way Grace had spoken punctuated the experience. I sighed and looked back at my hands, inspecting them, thinking about how they’d touched Party’s face so delicately.

Grace started to talk again, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear it. “Grace, Sunshine, sweetie. What are you doing awake anyway? You should be asleep. You need more rest than us.”

Grace sighed and leaned back in her seat. “Don’t be sad, Atomic.” She closed her eyes and her breathing changed after a few moments.

I looked at the clock. It was 8:30am. I looked over at Party, who was shaking the other guys awake. I decided I should wake up the girls. I leaned over and started with Ritalin.

[x]

“Okay,” Party Poison said, his voice full of authority. “Stay inconspicuous the best you can. Listen to the speech. Stay as well hidden as possible. We’ll meet up back at the garage as soon as the speech is over. Whatever you do, don’t get caught. And for the love of God, don’t speak to anyone.”

We were walking towards the back of a large crowd in the middle of the city square. A podium with the BLI guy on it was risen up on a stand, stairs leading up to it. A banner with the Better Living Industries logo was waving in the slight breeze above the podium. In the front of the stand, about twenty BLI agents were lined up with perfect posture, sunglasses on and ray guns in their belts, standing with emotionless faces and hands folded. Above everything was a blank screen, which I assumed would be showing the speech for the people in the back who couldn’t see him.

Korse wasn’t on the stand yet, so I heard people talking to each other pleasantly, without any power or strong emotion like I was so used to with the Killjoys. It seemed so foreign to me now.

We all split up, and I was standing alone in the crowd, no one I knew – even from my past life – surrounding me. I tried to look like everyone else, pleasant but expressionless and their odd stuff posture. It was hard, but I did the best I could to blend in the best I could while looking the way I did.

After what seemed like a lifetime, the screen flickered on, and I saw someone get up on the stand. He gave a short speech about what BLI has done for everyone and then he introduced Korse, “our fearless leader.”

I’d never seen Korse before. I’d heard of him, but I never really watched the news or went to events like these, so I had no idea what the man looked like. When he got up and took the stand, I felt a shiver go down my spine.

He wore vintage clothes – a long coat with ruffles was the most outstanding thing you could see. A Better Living Industries ID card hung from his neck. He was bald, but he didn’t look ugly like a lot of people did. He wasn’t an ugly man, but there was something scary about him. I was pretty sure it was his piercing snake eyes that stared across the crowd.

“Ladies and gentleman, loyal citizens of Battery City,” Korse began in a rich, deep voice. “Since the fires of 2012, Better Living Industries has been fulfilling the promise of a perfect life. Over one hundred million products have been sold, and good citizens have taken their medication every day, providing themselves with a better life.”

Murmurs of agreement rippled through the crowd.

“The only thing that has gotten in our way of a perfect life is the infamous public enemies known as the Killjoys, terrorizing our way of life and mercilessly killing innocent people. I hope that it has been made known to you that we’re doing the best we can to exterminate this threat to society. If anyone sees a Killjoy or witnesses something they’ve done, call the closest S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W unit and report what you’ve seen or heard.” Korse’s eyes scanned the crowd.

More murmurs rippled through the crowd, less pleasant now. More fearful and discouraged, but not enough to make them sound human. I felt myself stiffen. I prayed that no one would really notice me.

“But I didn’t come out today to speak about the horrors of the Killjoys,” Korse continued. “I came to introduce our newest product.” He lifted up a white can with the BLI guy on it and something written underneath. “I am pleased to introduce to you the Emotion Exterminator. One sip of this drink will cause immediate results, washing away those horrid feelings and replacing them with a sense of calm and content. On top of that, it has quite the lovely taste.”

People began to whisper to one another excitedly. I couldn’t help but feel horrified. It was like Better Living Industries wanted to rip all feeling out of people and replace them with a zombielike nature.

“The Emotion Exterminator has been tested on willing participants as well as captured Killjoys. It seems to be able to cure Killjoys of their rabid viciousness for 24 hours, making them easy to deal with. On the willing participants who do not fight it and take their medication daily, the effects last 48 hours. I am proud to present the latest step in our progression to perfection. You will find shipments of the Emotion Exterminator in stores tomorrow, available to everyone.” Korse’s eyes scanned the crowd again. I felt myself shiver.

“Hello again,” I heard someone whisper to me.

I jumped and turned quickly, gripping my ray gun, only to be surprised to see Gunner Shred standing there in a black Killjoy jacket with a patch showing the BLI guy ripped in half.

“Gunner?” I whispered, looking at him intently.

He smiled. “The one and only. Fancy meeting you here. You also here to see what the Big White Monster has created now?”

I nodded. “I’m here with my group.”

Korse continued preaching about the effects of the Emotion Exterminator and how wonderful it was. I noticed he made a lot of stabs at the Killjoys, proving how cruel he was to them. Everyone seemed to agree, which scared me.

When the speech ended, Gunner turned to me again and smiled at me. “Now that that’s over,” he said, “how about you come with me for a while. I can show you around Battery City, show you my favorite places to hang out. There’s a few rebel alleyways and underground Killjoy places right around here.”

“Party Poison said to meet in the parking garage right after the speech…” I said, glancing away. I really wanted to go with Gunner, but I knew that they’d probably worry.

“Come on, it’ll be fun,” Gunner said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. “It’s only for a little while. And then I’ll drop ya right back off with them. Just an hour.”

I looked toward the retreating crowd. I knew if we stayed out in the open like this, we’d be spotted. I had to make a decision, and fast. What did I really want to do?

“Well, okay,” I said, smiling a bit. “Sure. One hour can’t hurt.”

Gunner smiled. “Great.”

He took me back to an alley where his jet black Killjoy car was parked. He told me to hop in, and I did, looking at the sleekness of the car. It was very nice. The others’ car was more beaten looking. This one looked like it was taken care of daily.

“So,” Gunner said. “Where to? Underground bar?”

I shrugged. “Sure.”

He smiled and started up the engine. We drove out of the alleyway at a speed I was sure was unsafe, but I trusted Gunner enough – the Killjoys always had strange deadly driving habits, I’d noticed. We drove for a few minutes until he swung into another alleyway. He smiled and hopped out, me following.

He looked at the ground, stepping forward until he found a sewer. He pulled the lid off and smiled at me, wagging his eyebrows. “After you, princess.”

I looked down, seeing nothing but black. Gunner tossed me a flashlight, which I took, and started down the drain. But once I reached it, I noticed I wasn’t in a sewer. I was in a small cement room with a door.

Gunner dropped down beside me. He did some special knock on the door and someone pulled it open, and we walked into a nice room with a lot of space, smoke in the air, a band on the stand, and drinks and food being served.

“This… this is amazing,” I whispered.

Gunner smiled and put his arm around me, kissing me on the cheek. “It’s even better after you get a drink. I’ll order you something I’m sure you’ll like. Take a seat.”

I did so, and he arrived back with some drinks. This drink was really strong, and I noticed it was really good. I felt pretty good by the time I finished it, and me and Gunner danced. He was a good dancer. And me, being the normal klutz that I usually was… well, I was doing pretty damn well too.

He got me another drink, and we danced some more before he took me to the back. I found myself in another room with him – a dark one – where he began kissing me, touching me…

In the back of my mind, a small voice said, You shouldn’t be doing this. But I was pretty sure there was something in that drink that made me end up doing it anyway.

He’d taken most of my clothes off by the time there was pounding at the door.

“ATOMIC? ATOMIC BATTERY! ARE YOU IN THERE?” I heard Jet Star’s strong voice call out.

I looked over at the door but Gunner took my chin in his hands and made me look back at him. I began to help him take his jacket off.

“ATOMIC! ATOMIC! I KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE! OPEN THE GODDAMN DOOR!” Party Poison’s strong voice, now.

“Shouldn’t I…?” I slurred.

Gunner shook his head and kissed my neck. I pulled the shirt over his shoulders and threw it somewhere on the floor. He kept kissing my neck and trailed them down my neck and shoulders…

“Atomic? It’s Fun. Fun Ghoul. We know you’re in there. Please open the door!” Fun Ghoul was more pleading than demanding.

I heard some swearing on the other side of the door.

I looked over towards the door again. “Are you sure that I shouldn’t…?”

Gunner licked my breast, causing me to gasp. He kissed back up to my neck where he began to suck, and bite a little bit, making me moan a little.

“Fuck, I just heard her,” I heard Fun Ghoul say.

More pounding on the door. “ATOMIC FUCKING BATTERY! OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR!” sounded Kobra Kid’s strong, angry voice.

Gunner placed kisses all over me. He pushed my head down slightly, making me fall onto my knees. I took the hint and began undoing his denim jeans, looking up at him as he ran a hand through my hair.

“FUCK!” I heard Party Poison yelling. I heard them calling for an attendant.

Gunner pulled it out and I began sucking on it, making him groan and throw his head back. His breathing was heavy and he began whispering unspeakable things. I kept on doing my thing.

There was the sound of a lock being clicked and the door swung open.

“FUCK!” Party yelled.

Kobra Kid ran in and swung at Gunner, connecting with his face, making him yell out. He grabbed him by the neck and slammed him against a nearby pool table.

I was screaming. I didn’t know what I was screaming, but I was screaming.

Party Poison was helping Kobra beat Gunner up. They were kicking and punching. I even saw Kobra pull out a knife at one point as Party Poison held Gunner Shred down on the table as he struggled.

Jet Star and Fun Ghoul were running around the room trying to find some clothes. Fun kneeled down and whispered everything was going to be okay, but I was sobbing hysterically. I clung onto him, which in retrospect must’ve been awkward because I was only in my bra and panties, but he kindly and gently hugged back and whispered everything was going to be okay before he got up.

Kobra Kid pulled Gunner up off the table and flung him against the wall, holding him there. Party crossed his arms and watched as Kobra spit in Gunner’s face. I saw a bright red X-shaped scar over his left eye. That’s what Kobra must’ve done with the knife.

“IF YOU EVER FUCKING TOUCH HER AGAIN,” Kobra yelled, “WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND FINISH YOU OFF! AND I WILL PERSONALLY RIP YOU TO FUCKING SHREDS!”

He punched him one more time, and I saw Gunner fall to the ground in a crumpled heap, passed out.

Kobra and Party walked over to me. I felt myself shaking at the sight of them towering over at me, looking down at me with fire in their eyes.

Party found my clothes and tossed them in my general direction. “Get fucking dressed,” he growled.

Crying, I whimpered and shook my head.

Kobra Kid pulled me up forcefully and shoved my shirt over my shoulders and threw my jacket on me. “Do the fucking rest,” he growled. “Don’t test us right now.”

I pulled on the rest of my clothes, sobbing. Kobra Kid and Party Poison ignored me, their guards up, no emotion showing. Fun Ghoul and Jet Star put their arms around me, giving me support and helped me walk out of the room.

The whole club was staring at us.

But it was Grace’s tear-filled eyes that made me feel the most shame.
♠ ♠ ♠
oh my god, that did just happen gaiz.
comments please!
tell me what you thought. it makes me update way faster.