Status: Active!

The Little Things Give You Away

Matt’s POV - Chapter 25

It was a really weird feeling knowing that Riley actually likes me back. I suppose part of me had a bit of a feeling that he did, but I never thought he’d be the one to tell me. I thought I’d accidentally tell him that he drives me crazy or something and then our friendship would become so awkward that we would eventually just stop seeing each other. Now I'm sure he likes me back, I know that won’t happen. This could actually work!

We’ve been hanging out in my room for a while now, but everything we’ve done so far has been innocent. We’re talking like nothing’s changed (excluding the odd kisses). It’s great. Before we told each other how we feel, we were already acting a bit like a couple so it’s not that hard for us to be together now. We know each other really well too so we don’t need to go through the introduction stages.

I know I'm just sitting next to him, but I feel amazing simply doing that. You don’t understand how heavy the weight on my shoulders was. I felt as if I had to keep my feelings quiet and that I should try to get rid of them. I couldn’t though. Thank God! Now I don’t have to feel ashamed. Sitting next to him as a couple is perfect. I can lean in and kiss him if I want to. I can hold his hand and hug him without feeling too awkward. This is what I’ve always wanted.

“What you smiling at?” he asked me quietly.

“You,” I smirked before placing a small kiss onto his nose.

He grinned at me before shaking his head.

“You’re so cheesy,” he chuckled.

“I know,” I agreed. “Sorry.”

“You don’t need to apologize,” he assured me. “I like you Matt, and you’ve always been cheesy so I obviously like that.”

This is so unbelievable. I can’t believe Riley, my best friend, just told me something like that.

“Now who’s being cheesy?” I laughed.

“Still you,” he pouted.

I rolled my eyes before hearing my stomach growl. I'm hungry.

“Do you want to stay for tea?” I asked him nervously.

Don’t ask me why I sounded so nervous. I’ve had Riley over thousands of times before and staying over to eat shouldn’t be a big deal. For some reason, it is now. I don’t want to change anything, but when a friendship becomes something more, things do change. I guess it’s complicated.

“Sure,” he smiled. “I don’t think Caron wanted me to stay long though.”

“Ignore her; if you want to stay, you’re staying.”

With that I headed downstairs with Riley following behind me. My dad was making tea tonight. I love it when he cooks, not.

“Is there enough for Riley?” I asked him when I got into the kitchen.

Dad turned around, looking shocked to see me. He then looked over at Riley. Does he know we’re together? No, how could he? He’s practically glaring at Ry though. Why would he do that?

“Dad,” I coughed, bringing him back to my question.

“You’re grounded, remember?” he muttered before going back to whatever he was doing.

“I know but-”

“No, Matt,” dad hissed at me.

I glared at him.

“Riley hasn’t done anything wrong though!” I shouted, losing my cool way too easily.

Maybe I should’ve let it go, but tonight it would really mean a lot to me if Riley was here. I like him and I want to spend as much time with him as possible. I have to.

“I'm not saying no because of something he’s done. It’s you, Matt,” dad explained, sounding frustrated with me.

“I'm sorry for what I did then. Can’t he stay for a little bit? Please.”

I gave him my best puppy dog face but I knew a man as stern as my dad would never give in that easily, especially not because of something as stupid as that. The puppy dog face is pathetic when you think about it. I bet I looked like a loser trying to do it too.

“It’s alright, Matt,” I heard Riley say quietly from behind me.

“No, it’s not,” I insisted. “Dad, his mum’s really ill and she can’t cook at the moment and we both know how bad Riley is in the kitchen. He could starve or something if we send him home.”

Okay, I might’ve over exaggerated a bit but I want Riley to stay as long as possible.

When I turned to look at Ry he didn't look happy though. What have I said now?

“Matt,” dad started but I interrupted him.

“Please,” I begged. “I usually just get on with it when I'm grounded. You know I wouldn't keep pressing this if I wasn't desperate.”

The room went quiet for a bit. Please, say yes!

“Fine,” dad muttered. “We’re talking about this later though,” he promised me.

Oh well. Riley time now; trouble later.

“Thanks dad,” I smiled before grabbing Riley’s arm and pulling him into the living room.

Caitlin was watching one of her kid’s programmes, as always, and Caron was looking at something on the computer.

Riley and I sat down on the couch together, exchanging glances but not actually saying anything.

“You didn't need to mention my mum...” he told me quietly.

So that’s why he gave me that look before...

“I'm sorry,” I told him, feeling guilty. “I know I went a bit far, but,” I whispered, “I really want to spend time with you.”

He blushed cutely when I told him that. Oh Riley.

“That’s, um, alright then,” he told me, smiling.

Caitlin was way too distracted by the TV and I knew Caron would be on the computer for a while. If we were to do anything, no one would notice. I smirked at that thought before pulling Riley on top of me. We were lying so we were completely pressed against each other and our noses were practically touching. He looked so cute.

“Shh,” I whispered, making him giggle quietly.

I wrapped my arms around him as he buried his head into my chest. Once we were comfortable we decided to just lie there like that for a while. My heart was racing but I felt so good with him. At first, it was slightly painful because his elbow was digging into my stomach, but we’ve sorted that out now. To be honest, I didn't overly mind the pain. This will sound so odd but when I'm feeling pain because of him, it somewhat feels worth it.

I pressed a kiss to the back of his head, encouraging him to tighten the grip he had around me.

“Love you,” I whispered, deathly quietly.

He squeezed me when I said that, letting me know that he loves me too. This is so sweet! We have a secret way of communicating through squeezes! God that sounds wrong... Maybe it is.

“It’s ready,” dad said from the doorway.

I froze when I heard his voice from behind me. He must’ve noticed us. We weren’t exactly being discrete.

Riley sat up quickly and we tried our best to act like we hadn’t been seen. Dad might not have noticed. He’s not the most observational guy around. He knows me and Ry are close though, maybe he won’t think anything of it.

As we walked into the kitchen I locked eyes with Ry; he looked just as worried as I did.

Caron and Caitlin didn't see us, luckily. They both already have their suspicions so if they’d seen that things would’ve been really awkward. I'm thinking Ry and I need to be more careful. I know what happened in there was all me, but I probably should’ve thought a bit more before acting on impulse.

We all sat round at the table. Dad kept looking between me and Riley; it was so awkward.

“Are you okay now, love?” Caron asked Ry.

He nodded at her.

“I’ll be fine, thanks.”

He was lying. I bet he’s till really upset inside, it’s just easier for him to hide it now because he can be happy about us.

When we finished eating, dad pretty much forced Riley to leave. When we were in the doorway I hugged him tightly, wanting him to know that I'm here for him.

“It’s going to be okay,” I whispered, kissing his cheek gently.

“See ya Matt,” he blushed before walking out into the freezing night.

Dad should’ve at least offered him a lift home. Ry’s only little, he could freeze out there. Poor baby.

Instead of going back to the kitchen so dad could have a word with me, I ran straight upstairs and grabbed the phone as I made my way to my room. Laura would know what to do.

It rang and rang.

No answer.

No.

Just as I was about to give up completely the phone started ringing. I picked up instantly.

“Laura, I really need to talk to you,” I said desperately.

“It’s Nate, man. Is everything alright?”

I gritted my teeth and let out a deep sigh. I don’t need to speak to him.

“Yeah,” I said quickly. “I'm f-fine.”

“Cool, well do you wanna hang out for a bit?” he asked me.

“I'm grounded,” I told him without thinking about it.

I don’t want to go out anyway.

Not now.

I have no idea what dad’s thinking. I don’t even know if he knows what’s going on. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I hope that’s what it is.

“Sneak out,” I heard Nate’s voice suggest.

I forgot he was still there.

“No,” I hissed. “I’ll see you at school,” I told him, quickly hanging up.

What am I meant to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter's a bit of a fail...
I do know where I'm going with this story though :) Don't worry
This might be ending about chapter 32 (just so you know)
But there's quite a bit to come between now and then :)

I have an idea for a sequel, I'm just wondering if you guys would want to read it

Anyway
Thanks to
call me by your name - i've missed all your symbols xD And what's DFTBA mean? I know i know but i can't remember lol Is it of something?
x.MrsAlexGaskarth.x - i didn't leave it 3 months this time haha Bet you're well proud of me! :D
For commenting :)