Status: Active!

The Little Things Give You Away

Riley’s POV – Chapter 28

Matt dropped me as soon as he heard heckles coming from the gang of chavs entering the park. I stared down at the floor out of embarrassment. Random strangers from my estate had just seen me kissing Matt. I'm a dead man next time they see me. From the looks and sounds of them, I doubt they’re supporters of gay rights.

When the gang approached us, Matt moved his body in front of me for protection. I glared at the back of his head, knowing full well that he was thinking I'm the girl again. I'm capable of looking after myself; believe it or not. I decided now wasn't the time to be worried about that, though.

“What are you fags doing in our park?” the leader of the tracksuit wearing gang asked us.

Although I hate being the girl of the relationship, I was pretty happy with my hiding place behind Matt now. They knew I was there, but they couldn’t do anything. Matt was superhuman. A gang with chainsaws wouldn't get through him.

I stood there, waiting for one of Matt’s ingenious comebacks, but one never came.

“We’re just leaving,” he mumbled as he grabbed hold of my arm and tried to pull me past them.

“Haha, don’t think so gay boy.” One of them laughed as he put his body in the way of Matt’s.

“We’re not here to cause trouble,” he told them, trying to hold in what he must’ve been feeling inside.

Part of me was wondering why he didn't just push through him. There’s only one guy physically stopping him from getting past and he doesn't look that muscular. Matt can be smart at times though, not often. I suppose he knows that we’re way outnumbered here and he might not be able to fight his way out of it if the rest of them get involved.

“Awwww the faggot doesn't want to be in trouble, isn't that adorable?”

I rolled my eyes at them.

“Come on, Ry,” he whispered, taking hold of my arm as he tried to get me out of there again.

“Quit moving!” one of them shouted, shoving Matt in the chest.

“Why? What reason do you have to want us to stay?” Matt shouted in his face.

I was too scared to see how he’d react to that, so I turned my attention to one of the guys at the back of their gang. He looked funny. He’d probably kill me if I said that to his face, but I couldn’t help smiling a little. His nose was all twisted and he’d clearly been in a lot of fights.

Fights.

Is that what’s going to happen?

And I thought Matt was the dumb one in our relationship!

“M-matt,” I stuttered, nudging his side.

He wasn't listening now though. He wasn't being reasonable or reserved towards the chav leader like he was before either. He’s gonna get us killed.

“Matt!” I hissed.

“WHAT?!” he shouted, catching me completely off guard.

He shouted at me. What the hell? This is not my fault. Why he’s shouting at me?

I shook my head at him and faced away. No one was giving me any trouble. Matt was the problem in their eyes and he wasn't going to let me help me him out. I know I don’t have a plan, but if I could make him open his eyes he might realise how much we need to get out of here.

These guys are fighters.

I'm surprised they haven’t tried anything already.

Just then my eyes landed on a guy pulling something out of his pocket. The sun shone across the blade and my body shuddered with fear. They’ve got weapons.

“What’s your problem?! Do you want a kiss too?” Matt snarled at them.

If we were in a different situation, I would’ve laughed at that. I'm too scared for that now, though. I need Matt to get out of here. He’s going to get hurt.

“What’d you say?!” he roared.

Oh God...

“You heard me,” he said with a threatening tone. “Do. You. Want. A. Kiss?”

The looks on the gangs’ faces told me that Matt wasn't being funny anymore. He was pissing them off and that’s far from a smart move.

“Matt,” I whispered desperately. He needs to listen to me. He carefully took his eyes away from them and looked at me. “We need to go.”

I was doing my best to make sure the gang didn't hear me, but when they all burst out laughing, I knew they’d heard.

“Listen to your little boyfriend,” one of them said in a mocking voice.

I glared at them but I didn't do anything. We just had to get out of there and away from them.

How many times have you heard about gay couples getting murdered by homophobic gangs? I’ve heard multiple stories... We’re not safe. Why did we go to this park? I knew my estate was bad. If anything happens, it’ll be my fault.

“Come on,” I sighed, deciding that if Matt wasn't going to get us out of here, I’d have to do it.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” the leader guy said, putting his arm out in front of me. “Where’d you think you’re going?”

I blinked quickly. Where am I going? I don’t know really. Well, I know a little bit...

“Away from you assholes,” I hissed without thinking.

I smirked, thinking that I was talking myself up and doing what Matt would want me to. I was so wrong. So wrong.

Insulting the jerks who have weapons with the potential to kill you is a big mistake.

Before I could think anymore about it, the guy’s fist slammed into my face, making me stumble backwards into Matt’s arms. It hurt but I knew I was going to be alright.

Matt automatically pulled my body backwards and placed himself between me and the bastard that punched me. I was in pain but I couldn’t feel it as much as I would usually. I was hurting because I was scared for Matt. They can beat me up if they want, but if they touch Matt, I’ll know it’ll be my fault.

“Don’t you ever fucking touch him!” Matt shouted, grabbing the bastard’s collar.

“Or what?” the man spoke calmly and threateningly.

I stepped back some more when I saw Matt’s body growing tense. He was getting angry; really angry.

“You really wanna know?” Matt hissed so that I could only just hear him. “I’ll show you,” he snapped, pulling his arm back and ramming his fist into the man’s face.

He dropped down instantly and I covered my eyes. There was blood. I knew Matt was strong but... I didn’t think he’d... I don’t even know. He just knocked the guy out. One punch. Wow.

I forced myself to open my eyes again when the gang all started shouting. My heart pounded when I saw them surrounding Matt. He was trying to fight them off but it really wasn't working.

What the hell am I meant to do?

Tears stung in my eyes when I realised I couldn’t do anything. I physically can’t move right now. I want to run over there and save him but my body won’t let me.

“M-MATT!” I shouted in a weak voice.

Working on adrenaline, I forced my legs to stop shaking and actually move. I don’t even know what I'm trying to do here. I can’t stop them. There’s too many.

“Get the small one!” One of them shouted as two pinned Matt down onto the floor. He was bleeding. Matt’s b-bleeding. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

“RILEY RUN!” Matt shouted at me, staring intently into my eyes.

I shook my head at him. There’s no chance I'm leaving him here. They’ve got a fucking knife. THEY’LL KILL HIM.

The man with the funny face started walking over to me with a smug look on his face.

“Wanna watch us kill your boyfriend?” he asked me in a playful voice.

“Fuck off,” I hissed at him.

He grabbed hold of me then and Matt started screaming. I couldn’t see him, though. Funny Face was blocking my view.

“GET OFF ME!” I yelled, trying to struggle out of his grasp.

I managed to get a glimpse of Matt as I fought with the guy that had hold of me. He was still on the floor, with two guys holding him down as the others took turns beating on him. More tears started streaming down my face then. It’s my fault. Why don’t they just kill me and leave him alone?

A gasp fell from my lips when I felt something metal against my side. The knife. Funny Face has the fucking knife.

I started shaking all over, wanting it all to be over right now. If he’s gonna stab me hurry up and fucking do it.

His breath was on my neck and I shivered as he ran the knife under my shirt. He wasn't pressing hard enough to produce blood but I could feel it scratching my skin. I kept my body still, praying that if I didn't move he wouldn't hurt me.

“R-Ry!” I heard Matt shout. His voice sounded so broken.

“Hit me,” the man suddenly whispered into my ear.

When a guy with a knife tells you to do something, you fucking do it. I blocked out everything that was going on and turned around and punched him with all my power. He staggered backwards, shocked that I even hit him that hard.

“GO!” Matt cried out.

This time, I did.

I shoved the man who had the knife out of my way and jumped over the fence of the park. I kept running. I didn’t stop once and for some reason I didn't tire at all. I kept running and running.

When I finally reached my house, I pulled the front door open and broke down onto the floor. I left Matt on his own with them. If that guy didn't let me go...He, he would’ve killed me. W-what if he kills Matt?

My crying grew a lot louder then and I couldn’t hold any of it in anymore. I let everything out. I even started screaming as I clutched onto my stomach, where the knife had grazed over my skin. I wasn't hurt, but the fear that knife put me through... It burns. That’s going to scar me far more than any stab wound would.

Just then Jackass came running down the stairs then and pulled me into his arms. I hugged him back, needing someone there. For a few seconds I was selfish and held onto Jack, wanting to forget everything that happened. I couldn’t.

“M-matt,” I stuttered. “H-help him,” I cried. “P-police.”

Jack broke up our hug and looked me in the eyes.

“What’s going on, Riley?” he asked me, looking extremely worried now.

“We... W-we were in... park... A g-gang came and... Matt,” I cried out, unable to even form a proper sentence.

Jack jumped up then, grabbing his mobile and calling the police.

“I’ll be back in a second,” he told me, moving himself around me so he could get out the front door.

“W-where-?”

“I’ll be at the park, don’t worry,” he told me before slamming the door.

I stared after him and then burst into tears again. This is too much for me. Matt’s out there and they have a knife and... I don’t want him hurt.

I love him.

***

It’s been four hours since Jack left. Four hours. I somehow managed to tell mum everything that happened, but she’s not letting me go out there to see if they’re even alive. She’s making me stay with her. Not knowing is the worst part of all of this. If he’s dead...

I can’t even think.

Mum had the covers wrapped around both of us and she was holding onto me tightly, letting me cry and cry. I can’t hold it in anymore. Anything could’ve happened to them.

“They’ll be back soon.” She kept telling me, every few minutes.
That wasn't helping me at all. It was stressing me out even more than I was to begin with. Every time she said it, all I could think about was what would happen if they don’t come back. Never mind soon. What if they don’t ever come back?

I heard the front door open a few more hours later. Mum was asleep by now but I obviously couldn’t sleep at a time like this. As soon as I was convinced that I wasn't imagining someone downstairs, I slipped out of my mum’s bed and went down to see if it was Jack.

He was in the kitchen, with a bottle of vodka in his hands.

I just stood in the doorway, not able to say anything and just waiting for him to notice me. When he finally did, he jumped out of his skin.

“God, Riley,” he gasped, laughing awkwardly.

When he eventually took in my expression and realised how scared I was, he walked over to me and gave me another hug. I never thought I’d be happy to have Jack hugging me, but damn did I need that hug.

“M-matt?” I sniffed, hoping he knew what I was trying to ask him.

What happened?

Is he dead?

Will I ever see him again?

“He’s alive, Ry. He’s going to be okay.”

I tightened my grip on him then and cried into his chest.

“What happened?” I sniffed.

“He was on the floor and on his own when I got there. He had a pulse, though. I went with him in the ambulance and I stayed with him at the hospital, just until his mum and dad got there,” he told me, keeping hold of me as I carried on breaking. I should be happier now that I know he’s going to be okay, but I was so scared. I can’t get over this yet. “He’s a really tough kid, you know.”

“Yeah.” I laughed a little through my crying.

“He’s cut up and bruised but I don’t think there’s any serious damage. The doctor said he’s really lucky.”

I nodded, knowing that luck had to be on his side at least once in his life.

“He’s alive,” I whispered to myself.

“Yeah, Ry, he is,” Jack said softly. “The police will want to speak to you at some point, though,” he told me.

“No,” I hissed.

“Alright then,” he shrugged, but I knew he was just saying that. The police were bound to speak to me eventually. “Ry, did they do anything to you?” he asked me.

“No,” I insisted, “just, scared me a bit.”

He let out a sigh and reached into his pocket, breaking up our embrace.

“I need to give you something,” he whispered, pulling a black thing from his pocket. I stared at it and then fear flashed across my face when he flicked it open and I saw the blade. “It’s a pocket knife and I want you to have it,” he told me.

“I’ll be fine without,” I told him, nervously.

“No,” he hissed. “There’re bad people out there and you need to defend yourself. Don't tell anyone you have it, just, look after it, okay?”

He folded the knife up and passed it to me.

“Fine, I’ll have the stupid knife,” I muttered, taking it from his hand with my shaky one.

“Thanks, Ry. This is just in case, alright? And no one needs to know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I WROTE A CHAPTER AND I DON'T HATE IT!
You have no idea how happy I am that I managed to do this xD

I'm so so so sorry that it's been forever, but I've had reasons (I won't bother listing them all )
I'm sort of glad that I had this break though because I managed to write this today without feeling stressed or wondering why I bother or anything. I actually like this.
I've reread a lot of this story too now and I remembered how much I loved some of the ideas I had.
I don't mean that in an arrogant way, but I realized that I should be proud of this story and really shouldn't give up on it.

I hope that massive break hasn't made you forget about this... Do you still like it? I hope you do...

Thanks to
Josh Cutlip. There's definitely trouble in this chapter... And Ry is clearly the brains haha
x.MrsAlexGaskarth.x Yes, Matt is an idiot, but you have to love him! :D And I didn't leave this one on a cliffhanger so you won't die waiting this time
Sarcastically Blunt So glad you found it cute. When I wrote it I was like 'ewww you fail at being "cute"' but when I reread it today I actually thought it was cute too lol
xXCan'tWakeUpXx I finally managed to give you that update! Was your idea about the cliffhanger worse than what I came up with or was Matt nearly dying more scary? haha It'll end well, one day ;P Not soon ;P I'm mean.
kew_atl Really glad you like it! :D
and anyone who commented during the crash thing, if anyone did lol

I think that's all I need to say.
I honestly couldn't believe that it's been 5 months since I updated this.
I'm sorry if it's not perfect (it's the first thing I've wrote in so long) but I feel like I'm starting to get over writer's block now :)

p.s. thanks to watson. for giving me that last bit of motivation to update this :D