Sequel: Puppet to the Crown
Status: Same story is posted by me on Quizilla under the username ParentalAdvisory4382

Slave to Destiny

Chapter 20

Image

Cole’s POV

My mother had insisted I meet her. I really didn’t want to. My mind was still captivated by the scared little slave that I had grown increasingly fond of. It took far to much effort this morning to drag myself out of the bed away from her. Now that I was downstairs sitting across from a girl I’d never met in my life I couldn’t help but wish I could still be in my comfortable bed with her.

The girl, Blaire, was the daughter of a duchess. She was gorgeous with her long blond hair, deep emerald eyes, slender nose, high cheekbones, and full lips. If I had met her a few months ago, I would have fallen in love instantly. She was captivating in a way. She was intelligent. She was wealthy. She was everything my mother craved in my bride, but in comparison to the mess I was in now, she was boring.

“Do you want to go out tonight? Perhaps a night on the town will suit you,” Blaire told me smiling a perfectly imperfect smile. She was that kind of person. The one that wasn’t perfect, but her flaws made her even more perfect. She was no Gabby though.

My mouth moved without any thought, “Of course,” I told her smiling politely. She grinned at me genuinely.

“Meet me down here at seven. Dress nice,” her eyes were full of flirtation and daring. To say she was an attractive girl would be an understatement. With that she stood from her seat and sauntered out of the room. An aroma of confidence surrounded her very being.

When Blaire left, my mother entered. It was as if she was waiting to find out how it would go. She wanted this to work. “Wasn’t she simply lovely,” my mother whispered giggling. I wonder what she would do if I said I preferred Gabby the slave. She would probably kill me. No I take that back, she would probably kill Gabby.

“Yeah she was alright,” I muttered trying to seem indifferent by it all.

Her eyes narrowed. “Well you best get used to it because this has been arranged. Expect a marriage to this girl in the future. She is too perfect for us to pass up. She will make an excellent princess beside you. In fact one day you might even become a King,” she retorted glaring at me.

Her words baffled me. She was going to have me marry Blaire? Who did she think she was? I would never love Blaire. She just wasn’t…I just couldn’t possibly marry her. Plus what did she mean I may be King? I was third in line. Both Edmund and my father would have to die…“What are you talking about? How would I ever be King?”

The little color that had once been in her face drained away. Her face was as white as pearls. She turned on her heel and walked right out of the room leaving me sitting at the dinning table with my cold breakfast confused out of my mind. After a few long moments of thought I got up and sauntered out of the room. Today was going to be a long day.

Gabby’s POV

When I woke up the next morning I wasn’t surprised in the least to be alone in Cole’s plush bed. Quietly I rolled off the bed and glanced in the large vanity mirror hanging on his wall. My entire neck was caked in blood and I looked awful. Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t dream of doing what I was about to do, but at the current moment I didn’t care. I walked right into his large private bathroom and turned the warm water on.

The water was so hot it fogged the mirror within minutes. I was careful to slip off my shirt and not puncture my neck. Thankfully the water was streaming down from the shower because tears were once again sliding down my face as I saw my scarred skin. It shouldn’t bother me, but something about having the word MUTT branded across my stomach just wouldn’t sit with me. It was so degrading. It made me feel like dirt.

After a good twenty minutes I slipped out of the shower and wrapped as soft thick white towel around my slender frame. When I’d left my home I was a healthy skinny, but after my time in the castle I’d began to edge towards a bony look. I could see my ribs pointing out ever so slightly. A frown graced my lips as I looked at myself from every angle in the mirror. I wasn’t happy with the way my body looked.

Finally after a few long moments of staring I sauntered out of the bathroom. I had intended on scavenging Cole’s drawers for some old clothing he wouldn’t miss, but upon entering the room I was shocked. Cole was sitting at his desk leaning back in his chair starring off into space. The bathroom door slammed shut.

Instantly Cole’s head snapped in my direction. A slight blush slid onto my cheeks. “I was just…can I have some clothes?” I stuttered out the question.

“Uh yeah sure,” he muttered popping out of his seat and pulling out a random t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants. Slowly he walked over and placed them in my hand, before turning away. We were in each other’s arms so intimately last night, but now we were feeling more awkward than ever.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered taking the clothes from him.

His body snapped around in a flash and anger was written across his face. “What do you have to apologize for?” he demanded.

“I’ve been causing trouble for you. You shouldn’t have to be bothered by me,” I told him quietly.

What he did next was shocking considering my current attire, but he didn’t seem to mind. He wrapped his arms around my frail body in a hug. “Don’t ever think that you deserve what happened. I will always protect you. I promise,” he whispered in my ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think Cole and Blaire are going to get together? I bet you'd like to know.
Do you even like Blaire?
These are all awesome questions that you should answer in a comment.
I would love you forever :)