Sequel: Puppet to the Crown
Status: Same story is posted by me on Quizilla under the username ParentalAdvisory4382

Slave to Destiny

Chapter 35

Image
xmhmitsmex is totally amazing for making me nearly eight banners. She is the BEST!

Image
I love this banner by jo3yy. She is epic.

“Well isn’t tonight just lovely,” Daniel muttered sarcastically as we pranced around the ballroom in each other’s arms for the thousandth time. Cole had failed to come near me for the entire night leaving me mildly upset. Daniel felt the need to remain with me not that it matters.

“Simply,” I grumbled to him. Glancing around I stared at the hundreds of different colored dresses spinning about as the ladies danced. It was beautiful and mysterious. They were masked, hidden from the world. Just like me.

My thoughts wandered to Cole. Why hadn’t he bothered dancing with me yet? Perhaps I was being too demanding. Maybe he had other things he needed to do. Daniel didn’t look nearly as upbeat about our current situation as before. Tonight was going to be a fail. Knowing my luck I was going to end up dead within an hour. My stomach churned, maybe I shouldn’t be talking about my impending death with such openness.

“Stop it,” Daniel hissed under his breath, “You are not going to die.” He twirled me around in a circle before tugging me into his body so he could whisper in my ear again, “Cole is coming.”

Immediately I perked up as I glanced around for the Cole. My eyes locked onto him as he pushed his way through the crowds. Seconds later the familiar man I’d come to love stood before Daniel and I. “May I cut in?” he asked politely with a small smile. Daniel practically tossed me into Cole’s arms. Thanks asshole.

“Where have you been?” I asked smiling as he wrapped his arms securely around my waist.

Cole took a few moments before replying, “My mom was bugging me. Come on we should go outside.” It was a scene out of a fairy tale as we wandered outside hand in hand. I’d never felt so light in my life. Minutes later we found ourselves in the garden of bloody roses. Grinning I stared up at him.

“Gabby, I’m in love with you,” he whispered wrapping his arms around me once again. There were billions of tiny golden orbs hovering above us and moon was glowing. A warm breeze blew around us. Everything was so perfect. It was too perfect. I had to take the opportunity or I would never be able to.

“Cole, I have to tell you something,” I started only to be cut off.

Cole was grinning madly, “Don’t worry. I’m going to free you. I don’t know how, but I will. Then we can run off away from this place together. Maybe we can go to the human world. I don’t care as long as I’m with you. It will be perfect.” Each of his words broke and healed my heart over and over again. I’d never felt so trapped by destiny in my life. I couldn’t leave. I couldn’t run. I needed to save my people.

“Cole, you don’t understand. I’m not what you-” I tried again.

“Don’t worry. I don’t care what you are. It doesn’t matter. As long as we can be together,” before I could even comprehend what was going on Cole’s lips were pressed against mine. It was amazing, magical, everything I could ever imagine, but it still felt so wrong.

He needed to know. He needed to know everything. This wasn’t going to be real until he knew everything. No more secrets. No more masks.

My mind was reeling as I stood completely disoriented. This wasn’t working out the way I’d planned. He just didn’t seem to understand what I was trying to get at. It seemed hopeless, but I gave it another shot by pushing away from his grasp. Hurt subtly crossed his features. It bothered me, but I had to get what I was trying to say out on on the table. He couldn’t make this kind of commitment to me without understanding what he was getting into. “Cole you don’t understand, I’m not a slave,” I explained quietly. My prayers were going out to the Night Mother that she would help and guide me through this. He had to understand.

Cole laughed at me, before taking a step forward and replying, “Of course you’re not a slave. You are so much more than that. You’re the love of my life. I will never see you as a slave.” Everything he was saying was so right, but so wrong at the same time.

Inhaling deeply I took a step forward and wrapped my arms around his neck in a hug. Perhaps I could tell him later. Maybe we should enjoy the time we had together, before we were forced to face the pressing social matters. Maybe I could forget about the classes for a while. The concept seemed so easy and I craved it, but the more I thought about it the more disgusted I became with myself. It was entirely selfish for me to pick Cole over my people. How could I even consider that?

Tonight I was full of contradictions.

After all the poverty stricken people I’d seen. After the slaughter of my family, my friends. No this way was too easy. I needed to stand up for what I believed in.

This time I was forceful in stepping away and saying very clearly, “Cole we can’t do this yet.” His face fell instantly. He looked so incredibly upset it made me feel sick to my stomach. “You have to understand what you’re getting involved with. I’m not who you think I am. I’m-” I never finished my sentence. I couldn’t.

My entire world froze. My heart skipped a beat. My mind couldn’t function for a split second. The scent that filled my nostrils calmed and horrified me. It was so familiar. “We have to go,” I told Cole grabbing ahold of his hand before darting out the bloody rose gardens following the scent. It led strait up the steps of the castle back into the party. I could see a tall, confident man walking with his head held high into the crowds of people. He had a slight prance in his step. Something so familiar. No one noticed him, he had a mask and suit. Why would anyone suspect him of anything?

Tonight was the night blood would flow.

Because I could smell Troy among the people.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun Dun Dun...totally someone so guessed it...slightly disappointing, but oh well.
People who send me banners are awesome, enough said.
Comment and Subscribe if you Dare!