Sequel: Eponey 1
Status: Comment Swap People: Please comment the newest chapter

Eponey - the Millenium Bug

Eponey 1

I woke up, like every morning, nothing special was to be expected, one would have thought? Why? The Calender read 2007, nothing special about that either? Yet, it was my seventh birthday.

I had actually felt very different, I just could put my finger on it, though. So far, there was nothing about the day, I ate my breakfast, like any other day, and then went to school, nothing special, and the usual celebration.

There were the usual subjects. But today, I suddenly notice something odd. Before, I had to struggle with the maths, but not today.

The rest of the day went just the same. As it was Monday, I walked home alone.

At 16.00 I had my party. Some friends came, among them my neighbour and best friend; Celeste, she brought a book with her; "Centaur theatre".

“An intriguing title!' I commented.

My mother gave me a bracelet, the metal was pink and what could only be taken for a Centaur was hanging from it. It's eyes was diamonds. I also noticed, no .. felt some other details. There was the curious, odd presence to it, something told me, not to ask about it.

I also found other books, among them "Daffy - God of Despair", and could not help but comment on the choice of godhood. The instant reply was; 'that one could never know'.

“You'd better know them all!”

If only I had known, what's to come?

I then found a ring, with a red stone, known as Ruby. Following tradition, I put it on just for the sake of it, and suddenly felt an odd feeling, like someone called to me. Perplexed, I could say nothing, for an entire moment.

From my father, I received a watch, the 'One' kind I'd always wanted.

Once all the presents was opened, we went on to the table, and there was the birthday cake; " Eponey - 7 Years " it read.

I started, after me; Celeste and my other friends and finally Mom and Dad took their piece. This cake was just like the year before. To the cake, we drank juice. I was uncommonly silent, but somehow they noticed my presence was stronger. No-one made a comment.

“How was your day?” Mom asked.

“Great .. though it was easier. Even if I knew the tasks was not!” I said.

After my friends had left, it was late, I explored my gifts. Then I decided to read a book. I had just put the ring and the bracelet on the side of the bed. I thought I heard something, but thought nothing of it.

But read the book,It took little time, so I read it again, slowly. This was not an easy book, these books never were. I had read some in the library before, but this was my first. Then I put it aside for the night. Considering the book, and what it told.

I suddenly heard the sound, a voice again. This time, though, I reconsidered. After yet another moment of consideration, I realized; It occurred to me, just what, or rather who it was. I first wandered why noone else heard, but then realized, this was in my head, that explained quite a few things.

The next day went on like any other. Except, ofcause. The challenge of the class was gone. Next day I went to the office of schedules , I wanted to change my schedule, to feel I learned something. The secretary placed a note to my teachers. Then I had to take a test. Usually, I did not like tests, they always made me feel uncomfortable, like I was insufficient. But today, this particular test felt too simple. In a moment, I returned the test.

The secretary looked up, surprised ..

“Did you change your mind?” Siglinde asked, then looked at the test and dropped silent.
“I recognise perfect score, when I see one!” her comment went.
Shocked, Siglinde handed new, harder tests. Moments later, they came back.

“Ok, help yourself, you know where they are by now, right!” Siglinde said.

“Yes!” I promptly replied Siglinde.

Reading through the tests, by the numbers and picked some. Ok, there were several tests left, but these seemed ok, so I went back to the seat, and filled in, secure with the replies, I handed them over to Siglinde. The secretary read them through and looked up.
“Congratulations!” the Secretary said, cheerfully, then fed the results to the computer, and printed the new schedule.

I thanked her, and went to the new class. At first, I felt all small, everyone in there was so much older. But, once I read through the books, I felt right at home.

The day went on in this way. When I got home, I beamed of joy. The weeks went on, and I really liked the things as it went along.

I had studied the book of Daffy thoroughly, this truly is a fascinating book. Though I really loved the "Centaur Theatre". By now everyone who cared to listen knew it by heart.

Ofcause everyone had noticed my curious bracelet, I wear it every day. They had asked a few questions about it, and when I told them how much I loved the creature, and a few other things, over and over, the questions ceased.

Some noticed my ring, but there were not much questions about it.

I had been to the office of schedule a few times by now. I went there rather regularly, the visits came a few weeks a part. We had become friends - the secretary and I.

Other students came there too, as required, at times. But noone was there as often. Some nearly never went there, as they simply followed a class.

When one pass the test at the end of the stage of the class, it told you where to go, and added options available. Every student had a file at the office, In this file important information was stored. At the end of this file, the tests could be found. At the end of every term, a list of needed subjects was added. Those were the subjects everyone had to do. Everyone was supposed to bring a copy of this home. On the back of this there was a list of achievements, and this term, the front was to be empty.

I knew my parents would notice, but when they read the back, the question would die. If this went on, they'd have to use the front, or another paper, so that everything would fit in.

At this particular morning, when I took my place, I met Xenia. As I liked friends, I promptly greeted her, immediately, ofcause.

“Greetings, I'm Eponey. How's things going?”I said.

Then I noticed it, my bracelet ..

“Greetings, I'm Xenia. Doin' fine, and you`?” Xenia said.
Noticing, I recognised it .. commenting ..

“Wow, you have one too. Feels like meeting a sister, only so much better!” I replied.

“Yes, I do, you too, apparently. It's so special, do you feel it's presence too!” she asked ?
“Yes, at first. But then, something occurred to me. It's not what I thought it was,. it's something else!” Xenia replied.

“Oh, you mean .. it's not "the centaur" but something else? But it's from the centaur!” I said !!

“Yes, I know, but that's just that. It's noone but us, it's an echo; of me; and you!” I pointed out.
I understood and then, we both felt it, how they bolted; in unison. Somehow conveying a feeling of recognition, understanding. Then we both fell silent. At this very moment of revelation, we both heard the signal, and the class begun. It is Quite annoying, the way it interrupted the discussion, but then again, who knew?

The class went ok and then we decided to meet after school. For some reason, my place happened to be the most convenient place. I gave Xenia, my new friend the address, so she could find the way, knowing I could most likely find my way without any directions,
but still, it was the right way to go. I knew enough about her, to know I wanted this to go out just right. Doing otherwise, could be a start on bad things.

The day at school went on, and I went home. I had a rather extensive schedule, so did my new friend, I expected, that would be appropriate, considering what I knew about my. How could she be so much like me, and not have that?

At 18.00 she knocked at my door, and ofcause I let her in myself. In the local paper for the day, I had read about a contest, apparently, so had Xenia, my new friend.

This was an event to see, this was "King of Noses". Next week, there'd be another contest. I did not keep track of this, the papers did it for me, these contests came and went, a new one every week, or so. Some of them was fun, others was not, just silly, or outrageous. According to my latest test, I was allowed to watch this. I learned, so was my friend.

We decided to go to the local testing-centre, for the Office of Acceptance tomorrow. That's the place where the level of maturity is measured, more exact way to determine what's appropriate to participate in. Not like it was in the past.

Off we went to see the Contest. I brought a note, just for safety, not that we would forget. With the note in my pocket, we dressed for the occasion, and left. We walked up the street, followed the avenue to the level-shift. There we took the lift 3 levels down and headed down the street, then up an avenue and down another street and came to our level-shift. This time we went back up 3 levels, and came upon the arena, where the contest was to be.

As we was early, we received great seats .. which was good, we wanted to see !
Then we went for the seats, and found them, they really was great. Third row, at the centre, we sat down. Then we noticed, we was just next to the candy stand, so we got there.

Burgers, hot-dogs and slices, canned drinks, popcorn, candy, there seemed like they really had everything. We asked for a medium burger, a can and some candy, then went back.

Eating the burgers, we studied the arena, and noticed the measurer, the judge stand and the jury was already there. We had time to eat up, then we went back to get more to drink, and popcorn and candy.

Shortly after the contestants started to come in, now the crowd had gathered. As the name of the contest suggested, they all had big, ok, rather huge Noses. Well, that was what this was about, so it would be expected. There was big men, small boys and old men. all men, and some was ugly, other good looking.

We did not know any of them, but so what? We were here for the spectacle, so see an event. First they all was measured, then they gathered in groups, after that, the jury had a vote, and the judge came along. The awards was passed out, and the crowd went wild.

On our way back I recognised a boy, but did not know his name. I had seen him at our school.

Then we went back home to me, the way we came. We had agreed to go on more contests, and would check what was due next. It was so late, Xenia went home, but not too late to call Celeste. I had not forgotten about her, and wanted them to be friends.
After 2 beeps, Celeste answered;

“Hi, how's the day been?” I asked.

“Oh, ok, it was good .. what did you do today.> Celeste asked me ?

“I met a new friend at the first class, and after school we saw a contest.>
I answered !

“What contest was it this week.> Celeste asked ?

“King of Noses was this week, would you come with us, if it's something fun,next week?” I asked.

“I'm not sure what's next week, but it would most likely be fun to go, and get a great opportunity to see your new friend!” Celeste said.

“Yeah, that would be great!” I said.

“Well, if I am anything like you, I'd love to see her.' Celeste replied.

“I guess she is, and I think I'd just love to hear that. B the way, if you see anyone with a bracelet like this, just greet them. Would be interesting to see how many there'll be, showing here, on this school!” I said.

“Yes, if you say, I guess it'd be. Who knows!” Celeste replied.

“Yeah, who knows.” I said !

“Ok .. oups, I think it's getting late!” Celeste commented !

“Yes, I believe you're right, it's getting late!> I replied !

“See you, and good night!” Celeste said !

“You too, and good night!” I replied !

Then I ate and promptly went to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
01/01/(1.0.5) Who is Who 001

Sorry about the problems, it's a very old text, it predates the dates in the story.

I'll just have to go over these things. Maybe it is good, I haven't posted more of the story, considering what I just realised, since it was pointed out.

I've just done a new re-read, and edited it, once more. Editing the original text, in order for it to be as close to the intent, and still be worth reading, on bot a grammatican, and spelling part. Hopt it came out, at least as good as before.