Concrete Castle

Sand Castle

-Devon-

I was calmly making a sand castle along the shore when John came up with a starfish. “Look what I just found along the beach!” He said in an excited, childlike tone. It was cooling down now, as the sun was once again going down and John had gone sea shell and shark tooth hunting. “These are rarer than finding a shark tooth!”

I smiled at him, “That’s awesome, John.” I yawned.

“Are you getting tired?”

“All this sun is really taking it out of me.” I nodded.

“Do you want to head back to the hotel?”

“I have to finish this sand castle.” I shook my head.

“Why?” John chuckled, “It’s just going to get destroyed by the waves.”

“That’s very pessimistic of you.” I commented, building up a side wall. “But, I just want to, okay?”

“I’ll help.” John offered, starting in. A couple minutes passed in a comfortable sort of silence and I wondered when it was that those started between us.

“Why did you take me here, John?” I finally asked.

“The beaches are less crowded this time of year, and twice as beautiful.” John answered right away, not looking up from his work.

“No, I mean…why did you take me anywhere at all?” I pressed.

“Because you asked me to.” John answered simply with a shrug of his shoulders.

“That doesn’t make any sense. Why would you want to take me anywhere, I have been absolutely horrid to you since we met. And without reason.”

“It was a purely selfish reason. I wanted to be alone together with you.” John explained. At my face, John chuckled, “What? Is it so hard to believe?”

“Mostly, people don’t want to be around me. Besides Baylee.” I mumbled, staring back down at the sand.

“I find you…daunting.”

“That’s not too much of a compliment, you know that, right?” I chuckled without humor and glanced at him before back at the sand.

John’s hand caught the side of my face, gently forcing me to look at him, “As in intimidating, amazing, astonishing, surprising.” He smiled crookedly, “You intimidate a boy like me, because you’re so smart and strong. You amaze me because of your strength. Your beauty astonishes me. And you always surprise me with what you say.”

The look in his eyes told me he wasn’t lying. And my raging pulse told me that these lines were actually working on me.

“I can never get enough of you, that’s why I want you all by yourself.” He spoke slowly, I wondered if his pulse was going nuts too, or if it was just mine. “Why did you ask me to take you away?”

“Because you…make me feel…” I searched for the words, looking anywhere but John’s face even though he had me trapped. “Like…I could be happy.” I said, but it didn’t do this feeling justice. “I just feel…better somehow, when you’re with me. And I’m just now noticing.” I said nervously, my teeth latching onto my bottom lip. I looked down at John’s lips…

“What are you thinking about now?” John asked lowly, his voice holding a hint of desire.

“About kissing you.” I answered without a second thought. “But I don’t know if that would be a good idea…” I added quickly.

“Why not?” He asked, looking down at my lips now.

“I’m wrong for you. You’re wrong for me.” I said, and even as I said this, John and I inched closer together.

“Whoever said we had to be right?” I felt the brush of his lips on mine as he spoke, just before he connected his lips fully to mine.

I let out a soft noise as he moved his hand from the side of my face and into my tangled hair. I parted my lips on impulse and was met with the salty taste of leftover ocean and sand. I pressed myself closer, my arms going around his neck.

Feeling was exploding inside me, and I finally realized what I had been missing. I don’t know if it felt like this with every guy, but John’s kisses made me want more. More of him. My fingers dug into the back of his too-long hair, and our chest connected.

When we reluctantly split apart, I was beginning to pant. I hadn’t felt like that since…since…

I haven’t felt like that before. I don’t know if that should scare me or not.

“Do you want to go back to the motel, now…or do you still want to finish your sand castle?” John was still against me, and his deep voice rumbled in his chest, and I felt it through my own. It made my heart skip a beat or two.

How come I was turning so mushy? “Let’s go back to the motel, I’m getting hungry.”

Earlier in the day, we paid a trip to the supermarket and got a week’s worth of sandwich stuff and snack food. Not the most healthy, but I was used to unhealthy and so was John. We were good. John watched in amusement as I brushed sand off of my skin and then, when I was done, he took my hand, lacing our fingers together.

I looked at our molded hands in between us and my eyebrows knitted together. “Something wrong?” John asked, a smirk on his face.

“Our hands…” I trailed off, not really knowing how to ex plain it. “they’re…”

“Do you not like your hand being held?” He asked, not taking the sly smile off his face.

“No…it’s just…I’ve never…held anyone’s hand before….” I muttered the explanation, a little embarrassed. “But…I like it.” I said, giving his hand a small squeeze.

“For being such a tough man-hater, you can actually be really cute.” John chuckled, lifting our hands up to his mouth, without me expecting it, he kissed my knuckles softly.

“I’m not sure if that’s a compliment…” I mumbled.

“It’s one of the best.” John smiled at me cheekily.

We walked in silence for a while, until I thought of something. “You…said you liked me before…if you did, how come all those other girls…?”

John shrugged, “I was trying to make you jealous. But obviously that doesn’t work, if all else fails, take her to California, I guess.” He joked.

“You have no idea how grateful I am for this, by the way. I owe you big time.”

“Just kiss me again and we’ll call it even.” John flashed another cheeky grin and laughed.

Though I did want to feel like that again, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to control myself from going too far with him. So, I didn’t really want to kiss him again…

What an excuse. I’ll just continue to lie to myself….

“Isn’t there something else?”

“Aw, you’re shy.” John cooed, “Just blush a little more, and we’ll be good.” He teased. Being called out so blatantly, I flushed some more. “I do believe this is the first time I’m seeing you blush.” He pondered.

“I usually don’t get embarrassed easily.” I explained.

“So, me kissing you is embarrassing?” He asked, leaning close. Since we were at our motel door, I quickly put the key in and walked inside. “Aw, come on, Daisy, I was joking.” John chuckled some more while coming in the room.

“I don’t care. You tease me too much.” I said, stepping into the bathroom. I looked at the mirror, and sure enough, my face was flushed. There was also something different about me when I looked in the mirror.

But, I couldn’t figure it out. I sighed, putting on my clothes. As I stepped out, John said, “Yeah, I’ll call you back later, Kenny.” And then closed his phone.

“What was that about?”

“Kenny was just calling to scold me about an offer to play they had to turn down because I wasn’t there.” John threw his phone back on the bed with a roll of his eyes.

“I’m sorry.” I said.

“Today is just full of first, huh? I haven’t ever heard you say that, either.” John patted my head. “But, don’t even worry about it, Daisy, I’m cool with it. I don’t feel like playing that much anyway.”

“Another first, usually you’d jump at the chance.”

“I’d rather spend my time with you. And working on my tan.” He sat down on the bed and turned on the television.

“Do you want a sandwich?” I asked, going to our cooler.

“No, but a soda would be nice.” He answered, relaxing on the bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hahaha get it?!
The chapter is SAND Castle!
Like CONCRETE castle! Only less...strong.
Because she's like...
Opening up to him.
HA!

It seems a little out of character for Devon, and you should pay attention to that.
Because, it's important.

Anyway, I know it's a little short tonight, but I'm sorry.
I don't have time to make it longer since I have to actually sleep tonight.
I won't be able to put it up tomorrow because I'm going camping.
Ands I wanted to get it up before I left.
Hhaa.

Anyway, I love you guys.
<3 Sara Michelle.