Status: Completed

Heartless Reaper

Twenty-One

There were definitely more reapers than before and I found my purple eyed friends fighting them, their battle cries ringing through my ears.
“If any of you get hurt badly, call one of us!” I shouted, “The way for you guys to kill them is to try pulling their energy apart which will be difficult. I suggest you all work in pairs!”
I then charged forward and grabbed the first white eyed reaper I saw.
Instead of sucking their energy away like I would have, I quickly grabbed their energy in my hands and tugged it apart.
It’s easier for reapers to touch each other’s energy, but for the Cullens and shifters; I worry about them.
Sucking their energy away would be faster, but I need to make sure I can help my friends if they’re hurt.
I don’t want anything like the last time to happen…
I heard the wolves howl and the vampires’ growls as they attacked the reapers.
Fear clawed through my chest as I worried about the Cullens and the shifters. I didn’t want any of them to get hurt; especially Jacob Black and Emmett.
I hissed as I heard a yelp and I made sure to finish off the reaper I had and run to aid the others.
Embry was the one who yelped as he struggled to fight a reaper alone.
Idiot!
I grabbed the reaper he fought and as I held the reaper, Embry pulled the energy apart with his teeth and he growled in triumph.
I flicked his nose, “Embry, you’re supposed to fight with someone else.”
Embry replied with a lick to my hand.
I pushed him towards a reaper Paul and Jacob were busy with.
It wasn’t too difficult to kill white eyed reapers I guess since they are mindless. The biggest problem is the others getting hurt or one of us reapers getting our own energy sucked away.
The easy thing is that while we have our steel flesh to protect us, the other reapers have only their energy since they’re only mist-like.
“You’re doing great, guys!” I yelled and finished off a reaper Emmett was fighting.
He gave a small smile and went to help Rosalie with hers.
I thought this would be harder than this, but with their help we were killing the reapers easily.
I smiled, but gasped as a white eyed reaper bit through my skin.
“Fuck,” I grunted, feeling my energy slowly fade my body.
Once they latch on, they won’t let go until they’re dead.
I saw my life energy go into the reaper, its glowing white eyes becoming slits of pleasure as it sucked away.
I tried to grab its energy, but my energy inside of it was keeping it stronger and the mist turning more solid.
“Oh God,” I gasped, feeling the reaper’s solid skin of white.
This isn’t good.
I looked around to see my friends busy fighting reapers, too busy to pay attention to me.
Suddenly I heard a snarl and the reaper was being pulled off of me, but it wasn’t going to let go.
“Tear it apart,” I groaned.
I watched as the russet wolf pulled the reaper apart, its solid body tearing to pieces and the energy escaping easily.
I was low on my own energy and staggered, grabbing Jacob Black’s fur in my hands. I needed something to hold on to and support me.
“Thank you,” I said, “I guess being imprinted to you has its perks.”
If we weren’t imprinted, Jacob Black wouldn’t have felt me being in danger and therefore wouldn’t have saved me so quickly.
We both turned to grab a reaper together and kill it.
It didn’t take long to have all the reapers dead and all of us still alive.
None of us suffered from severe damage, but my reaper friends and I healed the minor ones that the vampires and shifters had for then they won’t suffer the long term waiting or them never going away.
I smiled, “Thanks for your help, guys,” I said.
Carlisle smiled, “It still wasn’t enough to repay what you’ve done for us, Peri.”
Sam also smiled, “You’re our family, Peri.”
I grinned. I was touched and I’m glad I’ve met these people. They’re changing me; I don’t know what into, but they’re definitely doing something to me and making me feel more human.
“You work well together,” I stated, looking at the vampires and the shifters.
The pack glared at the Cullens in their human states and huffed, “We only have you in common, Peri.”
Carlisle smiled, “I have to admit that you’re great allies, even if it’s temporary.”
Paul snorted, rolling his eyes at Carlisle, “We don’t make a great team. Vampires and werewolves; I don’t think so.”
Sam pushed Paul back and looked at Carlisle, not with soft eyes, but not threatening ones either, “Paul’s thinking is clouded by our hatred, but we do make a great team. It doesn’t mean we’ll start liking you.”
“Same goes for us, mutts,” huffed Rosalie, glaring at Paul as he glared back.
I smiled as the two families started bickering. I could tell the Cullens didn’t mind the shifters as much as the shifters minded the Cullens.
Carlisle and Esme especially didn’t mind the pack.
If only the shifters warmed up to the vampires, I bet they would become great friends and strong allies.
But I guess that will have to wait.
I looked towards my reaper friends and smiled at them, “Thank you guys for protecting my friends and the town.”
“We aren’t doing it just for you and them, silly Peri,” grinned Alpha, but he hugged me tightly in his arms.
I hugged him back, “We’ll always fight them off with all of us together.”
Colin frowned, “But I’m still afraid; once we keep beating of Death’s reapers, he might come after us himself.”
“He wouldn’t do that,” I disagreed.
“How do you know? He never tried destroying us with the reapers before. Maybe he’ll try himself to destroy us and if that does happen…” Colin muttered.
“We won’t stand a chance against him,” whispered Iliana.
I ran my fingers through my hair, sighing out and looking at my friends, “You guys sure you want to keep on staying here? Since we’re together, they can find us easier…”
“But since we are together, we’re stronger than alone and if they find us alone…” Lynette said.
I nodded, “Okay. Good point. At least the shifters and vampires’ scents make it even more difficult; I’m surprised it took this long for them to find us.”
Kay nodded back, his piercing eyes gazing at me, “That’s useful for us. We’ll stay on the edges of the town and watch again. We’ll send Alpha to fetch you since he’s the fastest if there is another attack.”
“Or Alice will warn me and I’ll bring the pack and Cullens,” I said, “If they’re willing.”
I heard a chorus of agreement from my friends behind me and I smiled as I turned to my reaper friends, “They agree to help, of course.”
Alpha smiled, “You have a bunch of great companions, Peri.”
I smiled back, “I know; they’re amazing.”
“But remember, Peri,” said Alpha as the other reapers followed him as they walked back to guard, “You pick the one you love the most.”
He whispered the last part so quietly, I, with my strong ears, barely heard him.
Alpha made sure to say it quietly for the others wouldn’t hear…
“I will.”
“You will what?” asked Alice, jumping to my side.
I laughed and hugged her, “Nothing, Alice. Thank you!”
Alice giggled, “It’s no biggie Peri, we were glad to help you; you’re like family to us now.”
I smiled, “Yo shifters, I think you’ve done your job already. I know how uncomfortable you are so close to your enemy; go on home and I’ll meet with you later, ‘kay?”
The boys immediately ran off and soon I heard howls flowing through the air.
I smiled and turned to the Cullens, “Let’s go home ourselves.”
I walked in between Rosalie and Alice, my eyes avoiding Emmett.
“How strong are reapers?” Rosalie asked softly, looking at me.
“Usually white eyed reapers are weak unless they have too much death energy in them from so many soul takings or they latch on to one of us purple eyed reapers… Then we’re in trouble. But they’re mindless, so what do you expect?” I said, shrugging.
“How about you, Peri?”
I smiled, “Now I’m powerful. I might match your speed, but I’m definitely stronger than all of you. I could beat all of you together with my strength,” I said.
“Wow,” muttered Rosalie.
“No wonder the Volturi are so incredibly afraid of you,” said Alice, “If I had you as an enemy Peri, I would be afraid.”
I grinned, “I’m super scary!” and I made a face.
They laughed at me.
When we arrived at the house, I felt uncomfortable as Emmett pulled me away from everyone else and held me back.
“Emmett,” I warned.
Rosalie turned around as she noticed me missing from her side and glared at Emmett, “Let her go.”
“No, Rosalie. Go inside,” Emmett said, his voice strangled.
Rosalie hissed and crouched low, “Let go of, Peri,” she said again.
“Peri, I want to talk to you, please!” he said.
“Rosalie, don’t worry. I’ll make sure he’ll act properly,” I said, looking towards the blonde goddess.
Rosalie hissed one more time before she ran inside, slamming the door.
I glared at Emmett, “What’s the deal?”
“I want to talk to you. You’ve been ignoring me and it hurts, Peri. I know I’ve been making you uncomfortable and angering you, but please…” Emmett said, sighing out as he looked at me.
“What do you want me to do, Emmett? Huh? You love me and I can’t live with that.”
“Why not, Peri? What’s so bad about me loving you? I’m sorry, but I honestly can’t help who I love… Don’t you like me at all, Peri?” Emmett asked.
I sighed, seeing his pleading eyes.
I placed my hand softly on his cheek, his skin cold, “Emmett, of course I like you. You’re an amazing person and I don’t think anyone could hate you. But…”
Emmett sighed, “But?”
“But I… I can’t love.”
He growled and grabbed me, “You never tried, Peri! If you only tried, you could easily love!”
I pulled his hands off of me and looked up at him softly, “I don’t know how to try. I don’t know how to love.”
“Do you like to be with me?”
“Yes…” I said slowly.
“Well, that’s a step. You like me and you like to be with me… That’s a small step to loving me,” Emmett said.
I sighed, “It’s not that easy, Emmett… Plus, I like Jacob Black and I like to be with him too,” I pointed out.
“I believe that you can love more than one person.”
I know. Jacob Black loves me and Bella while Emmett loves me and Rosalie. But look at me, how I’ve made them love more than one person and complicating both of their lives.
I struggled to find the words to say, “Emmett… If Jacob Black has imprinted on me and I started to try to love… Doesn’t that mean I’ll love him more than you because of the imprint?”
Emmett frowned, “It’s your choice on who you love more; not the imprinting.”
It felt strange for me saying the word love so much, but I sort of liked it.
I was struggling with thinking about this hard conversation. It was difficult for me to think about myself loving someone.
“How do you start loving someone?” I asked.
Emmett took my hand in his large ones and pressed it to his un-beating heart, “It’s what’s you feel here, Peri. In your heart…”
“But I don’t have…”
Emmett cut me off, “Bullshit. How do you know? Have you ever cut open your chest to look if you had a heart? If I didn’t know I was human before, I wouldn’t have known I had a heart in the first place! You feel emotions, Peri. You can feel love.”
I felt like I was literally pushing my brain to accept it, to actually realize that since I can feel other emotions, I can feel love.
But it just wasn’t that easy.
“Thank you Emmett,” I said softly, “You really aren’t going to give up, are you?”
“Not until you choose,” said Emmett, entwining our hands together.
I looked down at our hands holding and smiled.
After so long of this internal battle; maybe I can try to love someone.
Alpha did knowingly say to choose the one I love most.
I chuckled out loud; he always did know what was going on with my life before me.
“What so funny?” asked Emmett gently, smiling down at me.
“Nothing,” I murmured.
I pulled away, closing my eyes.
A smile found its way upon my lips and I breathed out in content.
I could definitely get used to doing this; being this close to Emmett and holding his hands.
It felt nice.
But while Emmett pulled me into an embrace and held me tightly, in the back of my mind, I was feeling very guilty that I wasn’t paying attention to the other man I guess I love like.
I’m sorry, Jacob Black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! I'm sneaking in another update. Finally got a chance to go on the Internet. It feels so strange without it. Anyway, so far no votes for Jacob Black. I guess this means I have to change the whole setting for Emmett Cullen. Are there anymore opinions out there? Thanks for the comments, readers. [: