Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

20

“Hello?” Olivia answered the phone that Friday morning, Lula was dancing around her legs.
“Olivia. It’s Theresa.” A cold, familiar voice shrilled. Olivia practically winced.
“Um, hi?” Olivia replied confused as what Anna’s mother was doing ringing her up.
“I want to see the child.” She snapped, Olivia blinked, counting to ten mentally, willing herself not to bite back.
“Of course, when would be convenient for you?” Olivia asked kindly.
“Are you busy this afternoon?” Theresa barked. Olivia blinked.
“Um no, in fact I’m going to pick up some papers, so shall I pop then?” Olivia asked, she heard a bored sigh on the receiving end.
“Very well. We have matters to discuss.” Theresa remarked, and then hung up. Olivia rolled her eyes, but pulled a smile on her face as she hung up. She looked at Lula.
“Hey beautiful, we’re going to go see Grandma Theresa!” she cheered, and giggled as Lula grimaced. After making sure the flat was tidy, and they were ready to leave, Olivia rounded them up into the Mini. Olivia drove into town, muttering how disgraceful the traffic was. Lula was minding her own business, staring out the window, fascinated.
“We’re going to look at some new flats aren’t we babe?” Olivia voiced, as she parked in the estate agents car park. Lula grinned, not really understanding but it seemed a good thing. Olivia got out, and pulled Lula’s buggy out also. Lula was still very attached to it. Stretching it out, Olivia made it secure and Lula got in her herself, and even strapped herself in as Olivia grabbed her handbag, and locked the car, swinging the bag on her right shoulder.
“Ready?” she called brightly, and Lula didn’t reply as she had her thumb in her mouth. As they entered the estate agents, the strong scent of stale coffee and printing ink was within the air.
“I’ll be one moment!” a male voice called from the back, the place was empty, then again it was the lunchtime period, so Olivia figured a majority of the staff were out on lunch break. Olivia parked the buggy, and seated herself on one of the red plush seats.
Within two minutes, a fairly young face appeared. “Hello, can I help you?” he asked kindly. He was handsome, in a cute way. He had blonde hair, baby blue eyes and a little dimple when he smiled. Olivia gave a polite smile.
“Yes actually. I want to move to a bigger place, but preferably keeping the rent low. Money is a bit tight, but it’s kind of urgent.” Olivia explained, glancing at Lula, who was staring at her feet.
“May I ask why?” the man asked, he looked about thirty.
“Lula here needs her own bedroom and I need my bed back.” Olivia joked, and the man smiled, revealing that adorable smile.
“Of course, well if you’d like to follow me to my desk and we can see what I can find.” He said, and Olivia did just that
“Alright, so renting?” he asked, Olivia nodded.
“Is there a particular area you had in mind?”
“Yes, I’d like to remain in London, but just in the suburbs please, but within commuting distance of the city. I have school next month.” Olivia said calmly. The man nodded.
“Right, well we have a few places up at Hampton Street, adorable flats. Then there is Greene-View, but they are pricey.” The agent explained. Olivia nodded, listening to his advice.
“Well I have a friend who lives near Hampton Street, he says that it is a good neighbourhood. Is he right or just trying to get me to live closer?” Olivia teased lightly. The man chuckled, and joined his hands together; Olivia noticed a gold band on his left finger.
“Possibly both. The south side of Hampton is fairly…how shall we say…-“
“Rough?” Olivia finished. The man nodded shyly.
“However, the North Hampton part is excellent; in fact…I do know of one particular flat. It’s three bedrooms, one large bathroom, medium sized kitchen and even has a balcony that has a lovely view of the Park Gardens which is about a five minute walk away…” the agent described.
“Sounds good, but what about commuting?” Olivia asked.
“Well where do you live now?” he asked, and Olivia gave him her address.
“I see you’re right in the centre then?” he commented. Olivia nodded.
“Well, from where you live now. This flat is about half an hour away from you, so by train the commute to the centre will be about forty minutes or so?” he said, and Olivia smiled. She wouldn’t mind commuting that. Lula could move to a nicer nursery maybe.
“That sounds reasonable. Can I book an appointment to have a look?” Olivia asked, and the agent typed out the details, and printed the information off for her.
“So, Sunday, 2 o’ clock…I’ll be out front.” He said. Olivia nodded.
“Can I ask your name, makes it better then calling you nothing.” Olivia asked. The man smiled, revealing his dimple.
“I’m Evan Simmonds. Pleasure to meet you.” Offering his hand.
“I’m Olivia Jones, pleasure doing with business with you.” Olivia replied, and took his hand, shaking it slightly.
“See you Sunday Miss. Jones.” He called, as she made her way out. Olivia felt relieved, as she knew she was making progress.
Driving to Theresa’s was comfortable. Lula was being very well behaved, despite the fact she didn’t particular like Grandma Theresa. When they arrived, Theresa was awaiting, with the door open.
“Hi there…” Olivia said, as she got out, and went to the back to help Lula with her car seat.
“Took your time didn’t you.” Theresa snapped, and glared slightly. Olivia scoffed under her breath.
“Traffic was bad.” Olivia lied, and hoped Lula wouldn’t show her up. Thankfully she didn’t. Lula ran inside, and Theresa followed her, leaving Olivia to bring the baby bag and her purse inside. Olivia shut the door, and as she sighed, she inhaled the smell of the house. It was so familiar, yet so strange. The smell of suffocating flowers, and cleaning products. Theresa had to keep things practically sterile.
“Tallulah, would you like some milk?” Olivia hears the grandmother ask. Lula replied politely, and Olivia smiled proudly. Walking into the kitchen, she saw it was spotless as usual.
“How are you Theresa?” Olivia asked out of politeness, not that she actually cared.
“I’m well. Yourself?” Theresa replied, clipped.
“I’m doing okay…” Olivia said honestly. Lula watched between the two females, confused. But didn’t voice herself.
“Tallulah. I brought you a gift.” Theresa said, in a somewhat light tone. Lula’s eyes widened. She loved presents.
“Really?” she squeaked. Theresa gave a slight smile, it looked forced.
“Wait here.” She said, and disappeared. Olivia leaned forward on the counter, and wiped Lula’s milk moustache away.
“You okay babe?” Olivia asked softly, stroking the girl’s head. Lula nodded.
“We won’t be long.” Olivia whispered, and kissed her warm forehead. Theresa appeared again, with a red, shiny gift bag. Lula gasped.
“Wow, look at that Lula….” Olivia said, trying to be enthused. She thought she saw a roll of Theresa’s eyes, but pretended not to.
“I didn’t know what colour to get. So I thought I’d pick one for you…” Theresa said, in a polite manner. She revealed the bag’s contents. Olivia’s face fell, when she saw it was a bed sheet set. A princess one, it was pink with a castle on it. But it was still a bed sheet.
“Wow…Lula, look at that.” Olivia said, slightly flat. Lula stared at it blankly. She didn’t understand, why was this a present when she had one at home already, one she shared with Aunt Liv?
“It’s a single bed obviously. For your bed.” Theresa said, looking at Lula directly. Lula squirmed under her gaze, and slid off the stool and ran to Olivia, hugging her legs immediately.
“C’mon Lula, don’t be shy. Say thank you.” Olivia said, trying to hide the fact she was shocked. Theresa mumbled under her breath, and shoved it back in the bag, making Olivia jump.
“What have you done to her? She was never so ungrateful in my house!” Theresa snapped, her fierce eyes glaring.
“Lula, sweetie…go play upstairs with Grayham.” Olivia murmured quietly, looking down at the girl. Lula nodded tiredly, and ran away from her grandmother. Olivia’s posture changed, to strict and firm.
“Theresa, I would prefer it if you didn’t use that tone in front of Lula-“
“Tallulah! Her name is Tallulah, why must you use that awful nickname, the one that little thug used!” Theresa shrieked, calling Jacob a thug was too far. Theresa had never liked Jacob, several reasons. One was the fact he impregnated Anna at such a young age. Second was he disliked Thereas’ home cooking, something she took pride in, despite the fact she was awful.
“Don’t speak about him like that.” Olivia argued quietly, keeping her volume under control.
Theresa fumed silently, her hand clenching the side of the counter. “Look, Anna may have some ridiculous idea that you should be Tallulah’s guardian. But the fact is, you are incapable and too young to do so. Which is why…Olivia-” Theresa paused, as the venom laced every single word.
Olivia sucked in a deep breath. “I’m taking you to court. I’m going to do everything I can, to get Tallulah’s, my granddaughter’s custody.” Theresa finished, and Olivia gasped.
“No! You can’t! Lula is mine!” Olivia argued, her voice all high pitched from shock.
“She’s my granddaughter!” Theresa bit back. Olivia glared her heart racing.
“You know what? Do what you want. You’re not getting her. Ever.” Olivia snapped angrily, and clenched her fists.
“It’s already arranged. I expect to see you at court in two weeks. Bring your solicitor.” Theresa ordered, and the tension grew between them. Both of them wanting to maul one another to the ground, it was actual hatred of one another. They didn’t think it would be possible. But they discovered now, without Anna here, they could hate each other all they like. They had no one to please.
♠ ♠ ♠
What you think? Did you see this coming?
Anyways, I'm in a wirting mood, and I have some more pre-written, depending on feedback it might be out tonight :) Thank you for all your support...

and I have exam tomorrow....hmmmm, I should be revising. Ah well ;) <3
Edit Note: By the way, these places Hampton and stuff, they are made up...well they should be. I don't live in London, I've only visted once. So, it's made up :)