Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 3

I walked home feeling kinda dizzy.

What did the bloodsucker get me into?

I can’t protect that girl; she just about bit my head off when all I did was talk to her. Of course that might’ve been my fault; I shouldn’t have taken my frustration out on her, no matter how confused I was.

Edward was right when he said my life was at risk, I’m pretty sure she’d kill me just for the fun of it. She didn’t seem like the type of girl to care, much less the type of girl who needed protection from some washed up, depressed, suicidal alpha.

What would she need protection from anyways? Were the Volturi after her, or was she in her own kind of trouble? I could imagine her attitude pissing someone off, but Cullen obviously is still her friend.

It wasn’t adding up, at all, but she wasn’t going to tell me anything, and Cullen obviously didn’t feel like dropping anymore hints.

XxX

In the morning, I found myself awake and disoriented, unsure if last night had really happened, or if anything else had either. Did I only dream up the tiny girl with the gorgeous face and dormant smile? I had only one way to find out.

First though, I had to get past my dad who was almost afraid of me. I didn’t blame him; with how I was acting lately I must’ve seemed like a crazy person. Maybe I was, it felt like it at times.

After that little episode was through, I walked to the Cullen’s.

It was a long walk, but it was good for me to take my time. It gave me the chance to actually think through what I was doing, and what I was going to say. By the time I got there it was nearly four, I hadn’t eaten and I could clearly hear Violet in the Cullen’s abandoned garage.

The stench of vampires had long since faded, but Violet’s unique scent hung in the air. I didn’t know if she heard me coming but when I walked in she had her back to me, and her shoulders were tense so I imagined so.

She was ignoring me deliberately, peering into the engine of a blue Camaro. I hadn’t known that the Cullen’s left anything behind, but it wasn’t the only vehicle in here.

A jeep (that had obviously once been Emmett’s), a Mercedes Bella had when she was human, and the truck I fixed for her broke, a Mustang and of course the Camaro Violet was inspecting.

I hadn’t recalled seeing the latter two before, with as much time I had spent in here to avoid the greater stink while the witnesses came, and I wondered if one of them was hers.

“Hi Violet,” I mumbled, after about ten minutes of nothing from her. She shut the hood forcefully and turned to glare at me, which wasn’t much of a surprise.

“What do you want now?” she nearly growled, sitting on the hood and crossing her arms over her chest. I rolled my eyes to play off the attitude and muttered “Nice to see you too,” sarcastically.

She huffed, which pleased me a tiny bit to see how irritated she was. “Look,” she said flatly, “If you’re going to try to get me to you about anything to do with why I’m here, don’t even bother. There’s nothing you can say or do to make me talk; you can threaten to turn me away, but you can’t make me leave.” She snarled, while I just stared blankly.

Whatever she was dealing with, she obviously didn’t want to talk about, and I realized I’d have to gain her trust before she spilled. I could wait, and I could take a hint. I had loads of time.

So, I held up my hands in surrender and walked up to her. “Fine, I understand you don’t want to talk to me, but Edward apparently wants us to get along, so you at least have to tell me what you’re hiding from; don’t even be specific if you don’t want to.” I said, watching her reaction.

Her expression faltered, and she stared at me blankly, which in hindsight, was better than the glaring.

It was quiet for so long I considered waving a hand in front of her face to see if she responded. Finally though, the conflict in her eyes disappeared and she shook her head, a sigh falling from her lips. “Werewolves,” she whispered, her voice breaking, “werewolves are after me,”

And her eyes went away, far away, so she wasn’t even there anymore.

She was in a different time, seeing a different scene than the one before her, a scene that, by the look on her face, was still haunting her.

She looked so guilty it hurt, and before I knew I had closed the remaining space between us, and sat beside her, although I knew I wasn’t helping.

She closed her eyes, and her tense shoulders shook slightly causing her arms and palms to tremble. Another long silence passed before she was able to look at me again.

Her eyes were ashamed as she shifted away from me. “Sorry about that,” she muttered; it was the sincerest I’d heard her and I hesitantly stroked her hair. She stiffened before leaning into me, her head resting on my shoulder and threatening to send pleasurable shivers down my spine.

“You don’t have to be, I just…needed to know,” I muttered lamely, she didn’t comment though and we sat in companionable silence for a while. It was growing dark out, and as if to empathize that, my stomach growled.

Violet looked at me, her eyes unreadable, and her face so close to mine I thought my heart would jump out of my chest. “You should go, I don’t want to keep you from dinner,” she muttered, standing and pulling away from me.

I immediately frowned, my body missing the absence of hers beside it in a way that confused me. Nodding mutely and standing up as well, I towered over her once again.

“Should I-” I stuttered, fumbling with my words under her gaze, which was kinder than I’d ever seen it, but also still hostile, which was understandable seeing as she was afraid of werewolves.

“Um, should I come back tomorrow,” I finished; girls making me stutter was new, Bella couldn’t even make me do that.

Instead of responding she shrugged.

I took it as a yes.