‹ Prequel: The Beginning
Status: Active

The Promise

Through the Trapdoor

That night Lilah, Harry, Ron, and Hermione quietly crept towards the common room door but froze when they were almost there. "Trevor." Harry said noticing a toad that was sitting on the arm of a chair. "Trevor shh go you shouldn't be here." Ron said looking at the toad. "Neither should you." Neville Longbottom said leaning forward in the chair and looking at the four. "Your sneaking out again aren't you?" He asked looking at the four dressed and ready to go. "Now Neville listen." Harry tried to say but was cut off by Neville. "No I won't let you. You'll get Gryffindor into trouble again. I-I-I'll fight you." Neville said holding up his fists. "Neville. “Hermione started to say but was cut off by a light blue spell hitting Neville in the chest and said boy falling to the ground asleep.
All four of them turned around and looked up to see Bree and Trinity standing there. Trinity was just putting her wand back into her pajama pocket when she looked up. "You four go and be careful. If you’re not back in an hour we'll get the teachers and come get you." Trinity said looking at them. "What did you do to him." Hermione asked. "Somnus charm, it makes you fall asleep and can't be broken until the caster uses the counter curse." Trinity said with a smile. The other four nodded before turning and heading out the door. Careful not to step on Neville as they passed the slumbering boy.
The four then put on the invisibility cloak and carefully made their way to the third floor corridor where the dog was. "Ow you stood on my foot." Hermione complained as they were walking along. "Sorry." Ron whispered causing Lilah to laugh quietly. They then reached the door and Hermione carefully unlocked it before they walked inside the room. The door had given way easily and they slowly walked inside and pulled the door closed behind them before they dropped the invisibility cloak off of them and looked in front of them to where Fluffy was laying sleeping. The soft soothing sound of a harp filled the room as they went in.
"It looks so cute when its not trying to eat us." Lilah said with a smile. The other three just looked at her as if she was nuts before turning back to the dog. "Snape's already been here." Harry said looking at the self-playing harp. "He's put a spell on the harp." Harry concluded. "It’s got horrible breath." Ron said as a burst of dog breath blew their hair back. "We have to move its paw." Harry said looking to where one of its four paws were covering the trap door. “WHAT?" Ron asked looking at him. "Come on." Lilah said grabbing the paw with Harry and trying to move it. The others soon joined in and they moved the paw off of the trapdoor.
Lilah pulled the trapdoor open and then they all crouched around the hole looking down into the darkness of it. "I'll go first, don't follow until I give you a sign." Harry said. "If something bad happens, get yourselves out." Harry stated. "Doesn't it seem a bit quiet?" Lilah questioned suddenly. They all stopped and listened. "The harp, it's stopped playing." Hermione stated. All of them looked over to where they harp was no longer plucking the cords. "Ehhh." Ron said pulling a glob of slime off his shoulder. "Yuck." He exclaimed before they looked up and saw that Fluffy was very much awake and angry. "JUMP." Harry exclaimed before they all quickly jumped in just barely avoiding the three headed dog.
They fell through the door and landed on a big squishy green tangle of veins. "Whoa, lucky this plant was here." Ron stated. All of a sudden the veins came to life wrapping around the four of them and rendering them enable of movement. They all were pulling at the veins until Hermione spoke up. "Stop moving, all of you. This is devil's snare you have to relax, if you don't it will only kill you faster." Hermione explained. "Kill us faster! oh now I can relax." Ron complained. Lilah and Hermione relaxed in the hold and then were dragged under and to the ground beneath them. "Hermione, Lilah." Harry and Ron exclaimed. "Now what are we going to do?" Ron complained. "Just relax." Hermione called up from where she was.
"Hermione where are you? Is Lilah with you?" Harry asked. "Just do what she says, trust us." Lilah yelled from where she stood by Hermione. Harry closed his eyes and relaxed and was soon taken to the same place where Lilah and Hermione were. "Are you okay?" Hermione asked once Harry landed. "Yeah I’m fine." Harry said looking up to where Ron would be. "He's not relaxing is he?" Hermione asked hearing the red head scream for help. "Apparently not." Harry stated. "We have to do something." Hermione said looking around. "What?" Harry asked. "I remember reading something in Herbology, umm Devil's snare Devil's snare its deadly fun." Hermione paused trying to remember the rest. "But hates the sun." Lilah stated remembering the poem.
"That's it, Devil's snare hates sunlight." Hermione said before pulling out her wand. "Lumos solun." Hermione exclaimed causing a blinding light to shoot from her wand. The vines quickly reacted and let go of Ron dropping him to the hard ground. "Ron are you okay?" Harry asked him as they helped him up. "Yeah." Ron said standing up and looking to the devil's snare. "Luck we didn't panic." Ron said before looking at his three friends. "Lucky Hermione pays attention in Herbology and Lilah loves rhymes." Harry stated looking at Ron. "What is that?" Hermione asked hearing a fluttering noise. "I don't know, it sounds like wings." Harry stated looking to where the noise was coming from.
They walked down the path and slowly opened the next door. All four walked in and looked up to see thousands of keys with wings. They were flying around above their heads. "Curious, I’ve never seen birds like these." Hermione said. "They're not birds, they're keys. And I bet one of them fits that door." Harry said looking at the locked door on the other side of the room. A broom was floating in the center of the room and they stopped in front of it. "What's this all about?" Hermione asked. "I don't know." Harry replied. Ron pulled his wand out and walked over to the door with Hermione following him. "Strange." Harry said looking at the broom. "I think we have to use it to catch the right key." Lilah said standing next to Harry.
"Well it was worth a try." Ron said after trying to unlock the door with magic. "What are we going to do?" Hermione asked looking around. "There must be a thousand keys up there." She protested. "Yes but it would be one of a kind and might be hurt from being caught before us." Lilah stated looking at all of them as they stared at her. "What? I'm not entirely crazy." She stated. "We're looking for a big old fashioned one, probably rusty like the handle." Ron said looking at the door. "There I see it." Harry said pointing at a key. "The one with the broken wing." Harry said. "Well our seeker friend, go get it." Lilah said walking over to Ron and Hermione who were by the door. "What's wrong Harry?" Hermione asked when she noticed he wasn't going yet.
"It's too simple." Harry stated looking at the broom. "Oh go on Harry, if Snape can catch it on that old broom stick you can. You're the youngest seeker in a century." Ron encouraged. Harry nodded and slowly grabbed the broom. As soon as he grabbed the broom it was like a switch went off and the keys started to swarm around Harry as he quickly mounted the broom. He took to the air after they key while he batted the other keys away from his face as he went. He flew straight up and out of sight of the three on the ground. He soon came back into sight though holding the key in his hand.
"Catch the key." He shouted throwing the key down to Hermione who quickly grabbed it as Harry again flew out of sight. Hermione quickly took the key over to the door and unlocked it. As soon as it was open the three ran in and stood on the opposite side. As soon as Harry came through on his broom they slammed the door shut on the keys. Harry landed and got off of the broom. He was breathing heavily from the stress of out flying the keys. "Well that was fun." Lilah stated with a smile. The other three laughed nervously as they looked at the youngest Dumbledore.