And If The Sun Comes Up

The Next Victim

Eleanor’s P.O.V (October 1995)

I’ve always discussed with Lucas about trying to get Sophie on our side, but he’s always been a little weary about it. He’s always said that she’s a bit of a tough cookie and I have to admit after our conversation in the toilet, I’m starting to think he’s right.

We saw them walk in and it’s the best I’ve seen Jake look in a long time. Then again, I haven’t seen him for so long and that’s probably why.

I watched Sophie as she went to the bar to order drinks and I watched her sit down while Jake went to the toilet. She seemed a little preoccupied with something; maybe it was how long Jake was spending in the men’s room.

I called Lucas from outside and we waited in the corridor outside the men’s room in the hope of catching Jake on the way out. He was taking so long though, so we decided to just walk right in there. Jake was standing at the urinal when I coughed to make our presence known.

“What the fu.... What the hell are you doing in here Eleanor? It’s a men’s room which means men only, right Lucas?”

“Well, when she’s got to get something off her chest there’s no stopping her Jake, you should know that.”

“Yeah, I know that well enough. I remember what you did to me well enough too. So what gives?”

“Lucas and I just wanted to talk to Jake, you know, let you know how sorry we both are for what happened.”

“It’s all well and good being sorry Eleanor, but what good does that do now. You might love the fact that you’ll never grow old and all that shit, but I sure as hell hate it. I want to grow old knowing that Sophie and I will grow old together and we’ll be friends until death do us part, but that isn’t going to happen now is it? I will have to see her grow old and tired and I’ll have to watch her die; tell me how that’s good?”

“We know how you must be feeling Jake. Don’t you think we went through all this too? Yes, we chose to become vampires of our own free will, but we still know how difficult it can be.”

“Well, why did you do this to me then?”

“Honestly Jake, we can’t tell you that because there’s no real reason. That night when you followed us, you seemed intrigued. We thought it was what you wanted, but when you turned to run away from us, we knew we couldn’t let you go because you would have told Sophie and possibly more people about what we are. We just couldn’t risk that happening. Please understand?”

“Understand? You think it’s ok to go round turning innocent people into creatures of the night, do you?”

“It was a means to an end Jake. Don’t take it personally.”

“You really take the piss Eleanor. I can’t speak to you like this. I’ll agree to let bygones be bygones and hang around with you again as long as you don’t get too involved with Sophie and me. She means the world to me and I won’t let you hurt her, ok?”

“Ok then Jake. You know when you said that you couldn’t stand the fact that you’ll have to see Sophie grow old and tired? There’s a way round that you know; why don’t you turn her?”

“Do you seriously think I could let her go through that? I love and care for her too much to let her become part of this, this existence. That’s what it is; existence not life. If I have to live off the left over pigs’ blood from the abattoir then I will. It may not be the nicest thing to drink, but it sustains me and that’s fine."

“Right you are then Jake. Your wishes come first to us you know. We know what we did to you was awful so we’ll let you call the shots.”

Like hell we would. If Jake didn’t want to turn Sophie, then I would. I’ve always admired her from afar and I think she’d make a wonderful vampire. Can you imagine us together; we’d be a force to be reckoned with.

When Lucas asked me if she was good enough, I said that she’d do, but oh she’ll more than do; she will be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this was a great one to write so any comments from any of you would be very welcome indeed.

Keep 'em coming