‹ Prequel: Trapped
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

Temporary

Rip Out My Memories

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
After Zacky left with Jimmy at around eleven, I tried to get back to sleep. I told Zacky that he didn’t need to come back until morning; that I’d be most probably sleep until then. I felt completely exhausted all the time, though Dr. Watts said that since I had been in a coma for months on end, that my body wasn’t used to moving, and exerting itself with even simple movements as standing up, so exhaustion and shortness of breath, and dizziness was to be expected for a little while. I still needed to ask Parker about what in the hell possessed her to even take me off of life support. Zacky wouldn’t, and he’s not even as close to me as Parker is. Did she…did she want me dead? Maybe she was finding it as a way to finally get rid of me, and my shitty ass commentary on every little action of everyone. She gave me a chance to come back, but then when it looked like I was gone for good, it was almost like she just shrugged and was like, ‘Well, she’s dead, no use in keeping her here anymore. We’ll just have to move on.’ To be truthful it…it kind of hurt. The thought of my own sister taking me off of life support, pulling the plug as it seemed that all hope was lost. But I guess it was for the better. They didn’t know I was still here, in the room with them, hearing them but not being able to speak back, or move. I shivered in the cold as the AC kicked on in the room. I rolled over, pulling my thin sheet up to my neck. I closed my eyes again, trying to fall asleep to the sound of the heart monitor, telling me that I hadn’t died of hypothermia yet. The door opened, and footsteps approached me. I opened my eyes to see Matt walking in.

“H-hi.” I muttered, trying not to shiver. He looked around at the vents, then over at the thermometer on the wall.

“Jesus Christ, what are they trying to do? Turn you into an ice cube?” He asked, adjusting the heat. He turned back to me, and sat down in the chair beside my bed.

“Damn hospitals are always too c-cold.” I shivered, and scooted over slightly. “Get your ass over here and keep me warm.” I said, and he looked over at the door, then back to me.

“I don’t know, what if Z-”

“Get over here n-now, fuck face.” I said playfully, still keeping my cover around my shoulders, and he sighed and got up, getting under the cover with me. I immediately snuggled up into his side, finding him warm and cozy.

“You’re freezing.” He stated, rubbing my hands between his, and I nodded.

“If I wasn’t do you think you’d be in bed with me right now?” I asked and he smirked, and kissed my lips softly.

“Probably not, though I’d like to think so.” He said, and I rolled my eyes, taking my hands out of his hands and resting my head on his chest as I curled up in his arms. I enjoyed being with him. I couldn’t deny that in any way. I still wasn’t fully trusting of him since the ‘incident’, but I did have feelings for him, and something in my head told me it wasn’t right. That these feelings I had for him weren’t supposed to be, because I only truly loved Zacky, but I dismissed that voice quickly, because I knew that I loved both of them, but I was very conscious that I loved Zacky much more. He just offered me things that Matt doesn’t, especially after the incident. Zacky offers me a very trusting relationship, and there’s something about him that I just can’t help but love with all of my heart. Though I couldn’t exactly place my finger on it before I drifted off to sleep with Matt by my side.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Zacky’s POV*^
Before I went to the hospital I dropped by Parker and Jimmy’s place, but I wasn’t really able to get through to her. I really felt horrible about Jimmy and Parker. I mean, they belong together, and it seemed nearly impossible that one stupid girl could rip them apart so easily. Especially since they were closer than they ever had been. I walked down the hall towards Harper’s room. I didn’t knock, afraid that since it was so early she’d surely still be asleep. I gently opened the door; the room was barely lit up by some sun leaking through the blinds. I walked in, and just as I looked over to Harper’s bed my heart stopped. What was going on? Why was he here? In bed, with Harper? But…but why? I just watched them for a second, unsure of how exactly to react. Harper rustled around, her arm making its way over his torso, as she buried her face in his neck, and he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. I simply backed out of the room. What in the hell was that? Was she…was she cheating on me, with Matt? No. I can’t think like that. I’m sure there’s a reasonable explanation to why Matt was…was in bed with…with Harper; with my girlfriend. Wow, that really doesn’t sound right. But there’s no way she would do something like this to me, would she? No, she wouldn’t. She loves me, doesn’t she? Did the near death elevator crash make her question what she was doing with her life? Wasting it away with a loser like me? I’m not a bad person, am I? No, not at all. I hesitantly walked back in. The sight of them made my heart want to break. I’m a lovable person, aren’t I? She loves me.

…Loved me, at least.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
I cracked my eyes open as someone gently tapped my shoulder, and I was greeted with Matt’s face.

“Harper? You okay?” I heard Zacky’s voice, and I immediately realized he was in the room…and I was snuggled up to Matt. I could only imagine how bad this looked. I had to act fast.

“OH GOD, GET AWAY FROM ME YOU FUCKING ANIMAL!” I screamed, my voice slightly hoarse as I shoved Matt away from me, using all of my strength, and his eyes snapped open as I pushed him off of the bed. He landed with a thud, and a noise erupting from his mouth as he hit the cold hard floor.

“Babe, what the fuck is wr-” He immediately stopped speaking as he got up from the floor and noticed Zacky standing over beside me looking down at both of us like we were insane.
“Zacky?”

“I believe I have the right to an explanation of why you were in bed with my girlfriend.” He said, and I looked up at him.

“Zacky, don’t let that happen again. Please.” I looked up at Zacky and he looked at me, then expectantly at Matt.

“She was shivering, and I couldn’t get the thermometer to work I didn’t want her to start getting hypothermia or a cold so…” Matt trailed off, I could tell he was thinking. “I-I don’t know what possessed me. Uh, sorry.” He said, standing up from the floor.

“Matt, I swear, if you ever fucking touch me again I will kill you.” I threatened, feeling bad about the hurtful words. “Get the fuck out. Now.” I demanded, pointing towards the door.

“Go, Matt.” Zacky said, and Matt walked out the door.

“Zacky, I had no clue, he just fucking crawled in while I was asleep, and I…I feel like I need a shower.” I said, and he laughed lightly, seeming as if a weight had lifted off of his shoulders.

“It’s okay, Harper.” He said, and sat down on the edge of the bed next to me. I hugged him.

“If he ever comes back I’ll kick him in the balls.” I said, and earned a smile form Zacky.

“Please do.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Matt’s POV*^
Nearly caught. If it weren’t for Harper’s quick thinking and her interesting past with me, I swear Zacky would have had my ass hanging on his wall. I can’t let that happen again. Neither can Harper. Though, it’s going to take a little longer for us to build up our ‘We’re just friends’ status again with Zacky. Especially since…that night, I’ve gotten to where whenever I know that I’m going to walk into a bar, but stumble out trying not to fall down as I take six minutes to try and figure out that I locked my keys in my car so I can’t drive, I call Zacky and have him lock the front door and back door of their house so I can’t get in. Even if Harper’s not there. I never want that to happen again. Not as long as I live. I started calling Zacky after one night I somehow wound up on his roof, passed out, woke up the next morning and fell off of the roof, and onto his car. That was another wake up call. Not as loud as the first, but one that was loud enough to make me have to pay a good few hundred bucks to fix the dent in the hood.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Zacky’s POV*^
Harper had fallen asleep, and I couldn’t move an inch because she was laying half way on top of me. I was going to go and try and talk to Parker again, but Harper wouldn’t let me leave. Though, I wasn’t complaining. That brush with Matt had made me suspicious of him. Was he after Harper? Maybe…maybe trying to lure her into his grasp again? What if all of those small gestures way back when were more than what I thought? Those friendly kisses, the hugs that lasted longer than ten seconds, all of the time she spent over at his house…what if they got close? Closer than friends? Did he love her? As a friend, yes, but as nothing more, right? God I over analyze everything too much… Maybe I’m just over reacting. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. I need to just stop and enjoy the fact that Harper’s not in a coma. I looked up at the doctor as he walked in the room.

“Sorry, I didn’t realize she was asleep.” He whispered, noticing Harper’s gently breathing.

“Is it normal for her to be sleeping all of the time like this?” I asked him quietly, and he nodded.

“She’s been asleep for five months, her body’s very weak from lack of nutrients and function. It’s going to take some time for her to get used to being conscious for a normal period of time.” He said, and I nodded, and he sighed. “When she wakes can you get the nurse to contact me? I need to make sure she isn’t having any memory loss.” I froze at his words. Memory loss?

“Memory loss?” I repeated my thoughts.

“Yes, the brain’s been shut off for months, it could have some slight memory loss.” He said, and I was slightly concerned.

“Like, some things could be completely erased from her memory?” It seemed all I could do lately was ask questions.

“If it’s something she encountered on a daily basis, it’s very unlikely that that would have been damaged or erased, but older things that weren’t so fresh in her memory could be gone.” He said the last few words slowly, and I started running over things in my head. She could have memory loss. She remembers everyone, so that’s good, but now that I think of it, nothing from months and years back has come up since she came to. What if she doesn’t remember all that we’ve went through, all of the undead, and Zan and Terrance, and high school? If she forgot high school, and or Zan and Terrance, or all of the near death hits and misses with the dead come back to life, that wouldn’t exactly be a bad thing.

“I’ll get you when she wakes up.” I said, looking back up at Dr. Watts, and he gave me a grateful smile, and left without another word.

“Wonderful, memory loss, that sounds nice.” I heard Harper mutter, and I looked down as she looked up at me, smiling slightly.

“Didn’t mean to wake you up.” I whispered, and she shook her head.

“I wasn’t in that deep of a sleep.” She rested her head back on my chest.

“Harper, do you…do you remember being trapped in a supermarket with zombies trying to get in?’ I asked and she scoffed.

“That was a fucking fun adventure.” She said sarcastically, and I let out a sigh. She remembered. Now to dig a little deeper.

“What about high school? Do you remember that? Zan and Terrance?” I asked and she looked up at me.

“High school, yea. I remember that. Getting picked on every day by those two kids.” She got a thoughtful look on her face. “But who’s Zan and Terrance?” I nearly stopped breathing.

“Zan and Terrance.” She just looked at me blankly. “You used to go out with Terrance, and Parker dated Zan.” She sat up. I became worried.

“No I didn’t. I’ve dated you since middle school, and Parker has liked Jimmy for as long as I could remember.” Oh my fucking god.

“Harper, you…you really don’t remember? You left me and the guys and…” I could feel my heart aching at the memories. “And you helped them beat us up on a daily basis.”

“No I didn’t. I would never do that to you and the guys. Parker wouldn’t either.” I sat up, and grabbed her shoulders.

“You really don’t remember ditching us, and helping them beat the living shit out of us every day?” I asked, and she shook her head. I wasn’t sure if I was happy her mind had gotten rid of the horrible memories, or upset that she didn’t remember. “Harper, I’m serious, if you’re joking this isn’t funny.”

“I’m-I’m not. I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
Zan and Terrance… The names sounded foreign to me. I truly didn’t know what Zacky was talking about. I’ve been going out with him since high school, then I moved with Parker and mom to Ireland, and we came back, and then a few years later we met up at some super store with zombies trying to kill us all. It’s all a bit fuzzy, but it’s there. I can tell there’s a black spot in my mind. Something between high school and Ireland, something about a car crash is at the edge of the black, but I can’t exactly recall it. Zan and Terrance. I’d never heard those names before. Who were they? I dated this Terrance guy? He beat up on Zacky? He sounds like a jackass. But Parker and I ditch the guys? No fucking way in hell! I’d never do that to Zacky. Would I? No, of course not. I loved him too much to do something that horrible to him. I wasn’t that cold hearted of a person, was I?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

shortygirl
a7x_foREVer12
NME_foREVer_6661

If you guys read the last chapter the day it was posted, and were confused, don't worry. Mix up in chapters, the Psycho Bitch lovely Shannon fixed it, so go back and read the last chapter our brainwashed, stalking, angry mob of people who are going to hate our guts if you all don't already loving, supportive, amazing readers who are most probably going to hunt us down and kill us.

xoxo, Leprechaun Saleigh