‹ Prequel: Trapped
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

Temporary

Do You Run and Hide, Or Face the Truth?

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
“I’ll be back in a little bit, I just need to get my head clear.” I told Zacky as I got up from the couch. He nodded and I kissed him lightly on the lips.

“Alright, if you need me just call.” He said, smiling softly and I nodded. I was still fucked from everything yesterday. I quickly got my shoes on, grabbed my black furry NorthFace jacket, and walked out the door. I started walking, and didn’t want to stop. I didn’t know what had gotten into Parker. That wasn’t Parker yesterday. Not the Parker I knew, at least. Something had obviously happened to her while I was in my near fatal coma. I didn’t know what it was, but I wanted to get to the bottom of it. She wasn’t that violent of a person. She was always like me, she kept a bag of insults at the front of her mind, but unlike me, she never was that much of a physical person. I was always the one getting sent to the principal’s office every week for fights, and screaming and yelling at teachers, not Parker. She was always the one who’d try and get me out of fights, and now all of a sudden she’s the one beating me up? Fuck no. I won’t have it. Parker’s not my sister anymore. Not like…whatever the fuck she’s become. She’s just a bitch. I took a left turn, walking down the side walk and then turning off to the park. I walked through the swings, and stopped at the edge of the woods, hoping my tree would still be standing. I began my journey through the woods. Hell, maybe if I was lucky I’d get lost and freeze to death. No one else knew where my spot was, not even Parker. I used to come here a lot, it was peaceful, and quiet, and no one knew where I was. Not a single person.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Mat’s POV*^
I chipped off the bark of the old Oak tree as I leaned back on it. It seemed that in the worst times, I could always come here and get away from everything. This was my place. I was lucky it was even still here. Everything about Harper and Parker was weighing down on me, not to mention that fact that I was on even worse terms with Zacky again. The stitches we had managed to sew between us beginning to rip, but the stitches between Harper and I strong as steel. But…was she really worth it? Was Harper really worth losing a best friend over? I mean, really? Zacky and I, we were close. He was a brother, now more like a stranger, or possibly even an enemy. Harper and I’s past is just a bunch of dry and cracked asphalt that we’ve been drug over. She didn’t even remember high school. I had asked her about it once, just to see if what I had been told by Zacky was true, and it was. But that was a good thing, because I was finally able to put it behind myself fully, and not look back, and so was Harper. Maybe if we become more careful about our relationship though…then maybe I can creep back onto Zacky’s good side. It will take some time, but maybe I can do it with Harper’s help. Though, first thing’s first, we have to fix her and Parker’s relationship. It’s not normal seeing them beat the shit out of each other. It wasn’t normal seeing Parker become so…pissed off so easily. I didn’t even want to be around her anymore, really, knowing she beat up Harper for really no reason. Though, a while ago I beat up Harper for no reason. Scratch that, back then, I had a reason. Parker had no reason. I sighed as I got up from the ground and brushed my pants off. I moved all of the spider webs out of the way with a shaky hand, and brushed all of the leaves away from the ground inside of the tree before I opened the door and stepped down the ladder. I walked over to the table and pulled a box of matches out of my pocket, lighting the lantern that had been in here for god knows how long, and then going around and lighting the smaller lanterns on the walls to light up the fairly large room. I walked back over to the ladder and climbed up a few rungs so I could reach the door. I closed it, then climbed back down and sat down at the table. I took my phone out of my pocket, but I didn’t get reception. I was nearly ten feet underground; of course I wouldn’t get reception.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
I sighed as I finally came across the big tree, I had been walking for at least two hours, and it was lunchtime now. I stopped in my tracks as I came across the tree. It was exactly how I had remembered it. The center was hollowed out, and if you looked carefully, you could see a door. If you lifted the door there was a room underneath. I loved this place so much. I found it the day we got to Boston. I needed a place to be alone, and this was it. I used to walk all the way out here at twelve in the midnight and just sit until morning came, enjoying the silence. The hollowed out entrance to the tree was hidden fairly well, and if I hadn’t known it was here, it would’ve looked like just another tree. I bent down and grabbed the handle to the door, but I froze. The room was lit up. It was never lit up. Someone else was here. I thought about just putting the door down and leaving, but this was my spot. My fucking spot. No one is allowed here besides me. Call me a bitch if you want, but I love this tree. I made my way down the ladder, and then turned sharply, ready to kill whoever was down here in my underground home.

“Harper?” Matt questioned, and I looked over in the far corner, and the anger in my heart let up some.

“How did you find this place?” I asked him, and he stood up.

“I come across it when we got here. It’s a place to get away. How’d you get here?” He asked, and I climbed back up and shut the door before dropping back down to the floor.

“Found it when we got here. I didn’t think anyone else knew about it.”

“Me either, but I guess I was wrong.” He sat back down, and leaned back against the wall, but before I could pull up a chair beside his, he pulled me into his lap. I smiled at him, and he kissed me, the simple contact making my heart do backflips. He soon pulled away, and I snuggled into his chest.

“I’m glad you’re here.” I said, my smile slowly fading.

“Are you okay?” Matt asked, worry and concern taking him over in an instant.

“Not really.” I muttered, and he tightening his arms around me.

“You do know that Parker will come around in time, right?” He asked, and I shook my head.

“No, she won’t. My Parker’s gone. She’s…I don’t even know what she is anymore. She not Parker, though.” I muttered, pulling my sleeves down over my hands even though the room was warm from the lanterns. Matt seemed to weigh this around in his head some before speaking.

“You’re right. Something’s snapped inside of her.”

“Matt,” I muttered, looking up at him.

“What?” He asked, slightly concerned.

“I’m scared of this new Parker.” I could feel tears running down my cheeks. I was. I was very scared of this new Parker. All anger towards her just seemed to fade away as I thought of what she could do. I was terrified that she’d actually hurt me. She nearly killed me once, even if she was doing what was most probably right, and now she’s beat me up, and I don’t even want to be around her without someone beside me.

“No one’s going to let you get hurt, don’t worry.” He took his thumb and wiped a tear from my cheek.

“I just don’t see why she can be so mean. I’ve always had anger issues but Parker…Parker’s never really snapped at me like that. She’s never been an anger riddled person. I got my anger issues from someone in the family, most probably my dad, but I always thought she had somehow managed to escape that hand-out.” I sighed, and rested my head back on Matt’s chest, and he wrapped his arms back securely around me. “I guess I was wrong.”

“It’s going to be okay, Harper.” I laid there in Matt’s arms for the longest time, the gentle rhythm of his heart putting me to sleep after a while.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Zacky’s POV*^
“As soon as I get out of the goddamn hospital something else goes wrong. Can’t I just have a normal life for just a little while?!” Brian screamed up at the ceiling. The doctor’s had let him and Johnny go, and I had come over to Brian’s at twelve at night. Harper had left at half past nine this morning, and she still hadn’t come back, and I was beginning to get worried. It wasn’t like her to just disappear for over twelve hours at a time. Not to mention, she walked to wherever she went, so she could’ve gotten….oh god I don’t need to think about that.

“Brian, will you just stop complaining?! Harper could be dead, now’s not the time to be complaining!” Johnny yelled at him. They still weren’t on the best grounds with each other, but I had gotten them to at least try and cooperate to help me find Harper.

“Okay, okay, fine I’ll stop.” Brian sighed. “So when did she leave again?” Brian asked.

“She left at about nine thirty. It’s,” I looked down at my watch. Nearly twelve AM. “Way too fucking late for her to be out without a car.” I sat down on the couch next to Brian.

“Hey, Johnny, go get Matt’s fat ass over here.” Brian instructed.

“Why don’t you go?” He asked, standing up from the couch.

“Because I’m going to call Jimmy and bitc- I mean Parks.”

“Oh, don’t wanna deal with her. But don’t get your neck snapped; I’m not finished with you yet.” Johnny said, and walked out the door. News of Harper and Parker fight had traveled around, and since no one was used to this…new Parker, everyone kind of feared her. It definitely wasn’t normal. She was so sweet and for her to all of a sudden just blow up at her own sister it took everyone by storm. Sure, Harper could really blow fuses, and get pretty pissed off, but she didn’t exactly direct a lot of her anger towards Parker until a couple of days ago. Plus, we were sued to Harper being the mean one, and Parks the nice one. If Harper were to punch someone in the face for no reason, Parker would be the first one to get on her case, and demand to know why she would do that to someone, and tell her that was uncalled for, and get upset that her easily pissed off sister had hit someone for no reason. Now Parker was the one throwing the punches, but Harper wasn’t asking why, Harper was cowering away hoping she wasn’t the next to get hit. Parker really hit something deep inside of her to make her make this sudden change for the worst.

“Here, give me the phone, I’ll call her.” I told Brian as he picked up the cordless phone.

“You sure? It’s late, I mean…” He thought for a second. “You know what, I need to be able to hear so I can cherish Johnny’s cries for help, so you go ahead and call bit-Parks.” He handed me the phone and I dialed Parker and Jimmy’s number. It rang one, twice, three times, four times, five, six-

“Hello?” Parker’s groggy voice answered. Damn I was hoping Jimmy would pick up.

“Parker,” I started cautiously. “Uh Harper-”

“Did she get killed in a fucking car crash?!” Parker asked, way too hopefully, and it scared me slightly.

“No, she’s gone missing, her car’s still at the house, and Brian, Johnny and I can’t find her.” I said, and Parker scoffed.

“Good, finally the cunt got what she deserves; I hope she rots in the cold. Don’t expect me to help you find the bitch.” She hung up, and I sighed, and clicked the end button. I put my head in my hand as I put the phone back on the coffee table.

“What happened?” Brian asked shakily.

“She said she got what she deserves, and that she hopes she rots in the cold, and that she wasn’t going to help find her. She really doesn’t c-” I was cut off when Johnny came in with a slightly worried expression.

“Matt’s gone, his car’s still in the drive way, and now I’m worried.” Johnny shut the door and we all looked at him at this news. Harper was gone. Matt was gone. They were both gone. At the same time. I didn’t know if I should be glad that maybe they’re lost together, because Matt could protect her, or upset that they might’ve run off together. Oh god, I don’t feel too good…

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
“Harper, Harper, wake up, we’re trapped.” My eyes snapped open at Matt’s worried words. I rubbed my eyes, and refocused on his worried face. “I heard something, and I think the tree fell in, and now it’s sitting on top of the door, and we can’t get out.” I became alert, and I stood up as Matt let go of my shoulders.

“What?” I asked, and he just gave me a slightly frightened look. I climbed up the ladder on sleep riddled legs, and noticed how the door was imploded in slightly. I pulled on the door, trying to get it to open, but it wouldn’t budge. “Fuck! I can’t get it open.” I said, and Matt walked over as I climbed down.

“Let me try again.” He said, and took a deep breath before climbing up the ladder.

“Be careful.” I said, and he grabbed onto the handle and hesitated a second before giving it a tug, and it just creaked. He kept pulling, relentlessly trying to get the small trap door to open. It creaked and groaned with each tug, until finally it pulled away, and Matt fell down to the floor as the bottom of the tree fell through. “Matt!” I yelled, and he got out of the way just in time before the tree hit the packed dirt ground right where he was laying a second ago. “Oh god…” I felt dread seep through me, seeing that now there really was no way out, because a four ton tree had just fallen through the only exit.

“Shit…” Matt muttered, standing up and I fell to the ground.

“We’re never getting out.” I muttered, holding back tears. I wasn’t about to start fucking crying in this situation. Matt kneeled beside me, taking me in his arms.

“Yes we will, someone will notice we’re missing.” He said, rubbing my back. This is what I get for running and hiding instead of just facing Parker and the truth. Now it’s all come down. My life, and our way out of this hole.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Third POV*^
As Harper and Matthew sat in the underground room, Matt worried as hell of how someone could possibly find them, and Harper in the same mindset, their thoughts couldn’t have been closer to the truth. The thin walls of the tree had collapsed, and let the whole giant four ton tree come crashing through the ceiling of the secret room. While two people were underground, someone could be walking through the woods and not even know it. Screams never made it out of the room, and the tree looked as if it was just another tree. There was no evidence that it had crashed through a ceiling, nearly taking a life. Zack, Brian, and Johnny were all worried, and they had finally gotten a hold of Jimmy and he had snuck out of the house, leaving Parker asleep. She wanted no part what so ever in the survival of her sister. She wanted her dead, bottom line. She didn’t care where she was, or what she was up to. Everyone was worried about Harper and Matt, except for Parker. They had no clue where the two could be, but they were desperate to find out. Once they had both been gone four twenty four hours, everyone had decided to call the police. Zacky could only hope they found Harper before something or someone else did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to commentors:

NME_foREVer_6661
shortygirl
a7x_foREVer12

xoxo, Saleigh