Status: let's see how this goes for now...

Treasured Tributes

02

“Krys! You're late.” I groaned loudly. I knew I was late, I didn’t need someone to point it out to me. I slammed my locker shut, visibly irritated, but it was too early for kindness. I had gotten absolutely no sleep last night. I hated doing assignments at the last minute, but I obviously never learned my lesson.

I turned slowly, watching my friend jog towards me. “I know Maya, I knew the second I woke up that I wouldn’t make it to school on time.” She sighed, shaking her head and linking her arms with mine as she dragged me to lunch.

Looking around the cafeteria, I found nothing out of the ordinary, but something felt different. “You should’ve just stayed home, there’s no point turning up for half the day.” I had heard Maya speaking, but I ignored it. I tuned out when she started talking about her morning. What had changed? The entire cafeteria was abuzz with conversation, which happened every day, but something was different today. I tapped the pen in my hand against the two full binders in my arms.

“Did something happen today?” I looked at Maya, who was just about to open her mouth and complain that I hadn’t been listening.

She rolled her eyes, “That’s exactly what I was just telling you, silly!” She exclaimed, sounding quite excited. I nodded at her to continue as we walked past several tables to our private corner.

“There was a new guy at school today!” This time I rolled my eyes. Typical. But it explained the animated gossiping that was going around the cafeteria. He must’ve left quite an impression. We didn’t get many new students in Forestville, especially not a quarter of the way through junior year.

“I assume he’s quite handsome?” I quirked an eyebrow at Maya, taking out my cheese sandwich.

She nodded eagerly, “You have no idea!” I chuckled.

“Well where is he? I want to see what all the fuss is about.” I mumbled, my eyes searching the cafeteria. But I could not find anyone that I hadn’t already known for half my life.

“Oh, he left about fifteen minutes ago.” Maya sounded deflated. I raised my eyebrow at her, “I heard him mention something to Aubrey about settling into his aunt’s house, so he checked in at school but didn’t bother staying.” Ahh, seems the mystery boy and I already had one thing in common; we both preferred half days.

“What’s his name?” I asked casually, but now I was kind of curious. It looked like he was already friends with Aubrey.

“Erik,” Maya replied, taking a bite out of her own sandwich. “He’s already a part of Aubrey’s group,” She continued, confirming my theory. I nodded slowly, chewing my food when suddenly Maya turned to me, “You’re not still hung up on Aubrey, are you?” I watched her eyes narrow accusingly and I smirked slowly.

“It sucks, but its true.” Maya threw her hands up in frustration.

“Krys, I’ve told you before, and I’ll keep telling you. Aubrey is not worth your time!” She exclaimed, and I nodded. It was not like I didn’t agree, because I did, wholeheartedly too. But what could I do? You don’t just stop liking someone instantly if they don’t reciprocate your feelings. It takes time, albeit, it had been two years. “Besides, Erik is so much better.” I laughed softly, shaking my head, but she continued anyway. “I’ll be damned if seeing Erik doesn’t leave you breathless,” She declared.

I snorted, “Now you’re just being dramatic.” But she shook her head.


Before Maya could word her thoughts, the school bell rang loudly over our heads. I half yelped as I squeezed my hands over my ears. The only bad thing about this part of the cafeteria was that the PA system was right above us. Otherwise I liked our little area, away from the annoying noise of the rest of the cafeteria.

Maya cursed as we got up and walked towards our class. I wasn’t sure if I had English or History for third period, so I just allowed Maya to lead the way. “So, were you late because you stayed up studying for our history test?” I froze, stopping in my tracks. Guess that answers the question. I whipped around to face her, and watched as realisation dawned on her. “You forgot didn’t you?”

I moaned in frustration. “I was doing my assignment for math, I thought the history test was next week!” We slowly started walking again, turning our bodies slightly every now and then to let the crowd pass by without trampling over us.

“Its not next week, but it isn’t today either, you can chill.” Maya laughed at me. “Its tomorrow, you’ve got the rest of the day to study.”

I shook my head, it didn’t change anything. “I have work tonight, and I haven't slept in over a day,” I whined, annoyed that I could not take a nap during history. “I really hoped I could have gone home and just pass out till I had to go to work.” Maya shot me a sympathetic look and I would have cried right there had we not been at school. No one likes to make a news out of themselves.

The rest of the day passed painfully slow, and I was sure I was not entirely conscious for the remainder of my classes.

“Krysanthe!” I cringed at the use of my proper name. Mom must really be mad. I walked through the front door, throwing my backpack on the couch and walked into the kitchen.


“Yeah, whats up?” I asked casually, walking towards the fridge in search of a water bottle.

I uncapped the bottle and took a large swig, turning around I almost choked watching the glare on my mother’s face. “What on earth was your dirty laundry doing scattered around the first floor?”

I sighed, “I was running really late Ma, and I couldn’t find my favourite socks.”

Her glare darkened, and I subconsciously winced. “So what? You were running around the house with all the dirty clothes while getting dressed?” I nodded timidly, this wouldn’t be the first time I’d have done this. She inhaled sharply and shook her head, pinching the bridge of her nose. “Go get some sleep Krys, you have work tonight and you still look like death.” I sighed in relief, smiling and walking back towards the living room to pick up my backpack. I had thought she would pile up extra chores for me this week for littering the entire first floor of the house.

As I walked upstairs towards my bedroom to study, it occurred to me that she had insulted my appearance, and I frowned. But it seemed I had no other option but to go into work tonight looking like death. I was barely passing history, and if I failed the test tomorrow, there was no amount of extra credit that could save my ass from repeating. And I’d rather dig my own grave than repeat history.

Hours passed as I sat stiffly over my study desk, nose in book reading stories upon stories of pointless things, revising events, remembering dates and names of ancient characters.

I was definitely one of those people who didn't see the purpose in studying history with such passion, I mean, who even cares what happened in the past? The past is in the past, and for the most part, I personally liked having it that way.

I looked at the clock reading five-fourty three. I should at least get a small nap in before work, but I had yet to start reading on the history of ancient Rome and it’s culture.

I sighed as I turned the page and attempted to keep my eyes open as I read the brief introduction on the religion of ancient Rome. Apollo, Jupiter, Venus, Gaia, Diana, Cupid... The names stuck out to me like thorns in a rose bush, pricking my eyes as they burned with drowsiness. I felt myself loosing concentration as my head softly fell on the open book and straight into an exhausted slumber.

"But I do not know you dear Sir." I replied slowly, choosing my words carefully. Offending someone of the higher class was not something I could afford to do, since the consequences were quite severe. I stared into his murky green eyes, a completely unusual yet enthralling colour. I had of course seen green eyes before, but his were certainly distinct. Warmth evaporated from his face as he held my gaze, watching me carefully. I was taught to lower my eyes when talking to a high-class citizen or one of noble birth, but it was so hard to look away from his calculating stare.

His features were of a god, and I would be lying if I said he was not attractive at all. I figured he was a soldier since his arms seemed well built and his sturdy torso was similar to that of a hoplite soldier. I had not met many hoplite soldiers, but I knew enough to know what kind of physique was required for recruitment. “No, you do not." he replied slowly, almost with prudence. "I just want to know you, that is all."

I must have looked stupefied or surprised, for he smiled, a small smirk gracing his handsome face. "I..." I lowered my gaze momentarily, slightly dazed, unsure how to respond to that. This is not how things work. If a man takes interest in you, he visits your father and seeks permission to court you. He does not just outrightly ask you for anything. "I believe this is not proper, sir."

The young man shook his head, almost like a stubborn child. "I know how the society works, Aurelia, but you must know I almost never abide by the law. I believe I take sincere interest in you, and no social practice can make me change my mind, however, the choice is yours."

It did not bother me that he knew my name, for someone of his status could easily have found out. I couldn't believe my ears! Here I had a young man telling me he chooses not to abide by any rules, yet he tells me that I have a choice in this. I knew of no man that had broken the social norm and had been allowed to stay within the city walls. They were always banished, and these rebels belonged to our class not the high, sophisticated respectable order. But was interclass courting also strictly prohibited? I knew it was frowned upon, but I had not heard of any incident for many ages now.

I shook my head, feigning genuine regret, “I am sorry, sir, but this cannot be arranged." He opened his mouth to counter, but I held up my hand, "I know, I know... You may get away with bending these rules, but these regulations are all that people like us have in order to survive. I'm sorry, I just can not agree." I probably sounded scared, but he can’t blame me. "And not to mention, people like us are not allowed to mix with people like you." The young man was certainly charming, but for a man I barely knew I was not going to risk social ostracisation of my family.

To my utter astonishment, he laughed. A merry, joyful laugh. "Oh, Aurelia, you do not need to worry about any of that, no one will say anything. No one would dare." And suddenly, I believed him. Instantly I realised he was not just any ordinary man belonging to a high class. I realised that there could only be one man on this earth who would dare speak like this.

“You are..." I breathed, surprised. This could not actually be happening.

The man smiled in elation and nodded slowly, confirming my thoughts. "You're -"


I felt myself shaking, "Krys! Get up, you're late!" I groaned as my eyes opened ever so slowly. My mom was shaking me awake and I realised my neck hurt. I jolted up.

"Why on earth did you fall asleep on the desk!" I looked over at my screeching mother as she walked around the room, picking up papers and various articles of clothing on the floor. I yawned slowly, understanding I had fallen asleep while studying.

"You have ten minutes to get ready!" That statement really woke me up as I cursed and ran to the bathroom to change for work.

I remembered the dream from this evening quite vividly, the dream about the girl named Aurelia. For as long as I could remember I always had that same repetitive dream. And every time, it finished just when I was going to find out who the young man was. I was pretty sure that it was me in those dreams, but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why my brain was using my middle name instead of my first. The dream was pointless and stupid though, basically about a man taking interest in a girl. But the worst part? It was set in the past; old times. Maybe if they ever allow creative liberty in history I could just write my dream down and pass.

I usually had a headache after this irritating dream, but tonight I felt eerily calm. It was weird, but I didn’t question it. I was honestly so tired, and merely just glad to not have to turn up to work with a pounding headache. I focused on trying to zip up my work shorts momentarily forgetting the dream. I knew I had to buy a new pair soon, I couldn’t keep forcing the dodgy zip to work without breaking eventually. Maybe tonight I’ll ask Mark to order me a new pair. I nodded to myself, and rushed downstairs to drive to work. The dream continued to play on a loop in my head as I turned the ignition on. I grumbled, trying to turn my focus solely on driving, but like always, the emerald eyes of the young man was still present in the back of my head, like the nagging chorus of a popular song.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't like this chapter, it feels too cliche, but I wasn't entirely sure how to get it started so it'll have to do.
Thanks for the encouraging comments, we'll see how it goes for now.