Sequel: Accidental Dad
Status: Finished. Read the sequel

Don't Let These Boots Fool You

Cat and Mouse

I’d been back in the burgh for about a week now. I hadn’t seen the guys at all for the past week. They wore my brother’s number proud like they said they would but everything had changed so much since I got back home that I wasn’t even sure who I was anymore. My office had become a complete wreck, papers everywhere, and extra clothes thrown over chairs. I was beyond a slob at this point.

I had barely remembered to pick up my dress for the gala. “Shit.” I needed to call Lorrie about this new information she had. My office phone had been unplugged for two days, which resulted to me using my cell phone to call her.

“Hello?”

“Hi, it’s Kelly. You said you had some new information.”

“Oh, hey Kelly, I uh—” she was beginning to sound more nervous than Kelly had ever heard her, “It’s not just going to be the penguins now. The guys for Philadelphia are going to be joining. We figured what better way to teach some of the kids respect than to bring in rival teams and show them getting along.”

Well that was definitely news to me. I made a mental note to brief Dan on this news before I told the guys. “I’ll be sure to tell the guys. See you tomorrow night Lorrie.” My hard work of avoiding the team had just ended. I walked through the empty halls of the arena and caught sight of Dan. “You got a second Dan?” I jogged the rest of the way to catch up with him.

“What’s going on?”

“I’ve just been told that the flyers are joining us for our make-a-wish gala, partially in hopes of teaching respect.” I was worried to say the least, the guys usually don’t take the rivalries to far during the off season but during season it was horrible.

Dan nodded as he stood there “Okay They’ll Be on their best behavior.”

~~~~~~
I was in zombie mode until I had to go to the hair salon to get my hair done. I had gotten a few texts from Jordan and Sidney but couldn’t muster the courage to reply.

“How are you Kelly?”

I smiled for the first time since that day with Sidney. “God Brenda my hair is begging for some attention.” Brenda had gone to school with my hair dress from back home, which gave me a small piece of home here.

Brenda shuffled me over to her chair and pushed me in it. “Up, down, half? What am I doing?”

“Well I’m wearing an intricate dress, so simple up-do?”

“I’ve got something that will work for you. Now how have you really been? Don’t like to me, tell me about these boys Janie told me about.”

Leave it to my old hairdresser to tell all my secrets when I’m not even at home. “Where would you like me to start?”

I quickly explained it all. I felt better about the past month than I had before. She had put the last Bobbi pin in my hair and looked me dead in the eye. “Girl don’t make them wait too long after tonight. I want pictures.” She was pushing me out the door without being paid. “No charge my treat.”

She was an angel. My hair looked great, I felt red carpet ready and I was still in my street clothes in my room. The time I thought, I still had left seemed to disappear rather quickly. Jeff would be by in 10 minutes or less. I was glad my boss was taking me to the gala because I had told him everything and asked for a transfer. I would find out later this week if I got it.

I scrambled into my dress right as Jeff knocked on the door. “One second Jeff.” I grabbed my shoes from my bed and scurried to the door. Jeff was silent as I slid the door open.

“That dress is amazing, you look great” My extremely strappy dress that had straps going all across my back looked elegant against the dark skin that was peeping through the slits of fabric. “I’m glad you agreed to go with me, my wife just hates to go out of the house after her sixth month of a pregnancy.” I felt bad for him because the way he talked about his wife made it sound like they were the perfect couple ever.

Jeff walked with me out the front door and opened the car door for me to get into; he was being so polite to me. I saw the red carpet as we neared the entrance to the gala. This was my cue to walk elegantly down the red carpet. It felt great to walk down the carpet with no stops and no pictures.

“one for the wife.” Jeff grabbed me and pulled me in front of a camera right as the flash went off I smiled hoping the picture turned out. I was back on my own after Jeff got his picture for his wife. I stared at the gorgeous venue. The high ceilings, large windows and dim lights made the place look great.

My eyes drifted around the room to the microphone and stage. I guess I should start up the evening with my opening. I climbed the stairs to the microphone and looked out to the group of people in front of me. “Hi y’all I hope tonight is a night to remember. Dinner will be served shortly. Feel free to walk around and chat.” I walked back down the stairs to find Sidney and Jordan looking right at me. “Hello boys”

They blocked me from moving anywhere to avoid them. “You’ve been avoiding us.” Jordan’s voice was harsh and felt like he was reading my thoughts.

“That I have. I can’t make a decision. What if I fuck up your friendship?” I hated that I had to point that out. I was still wearing my damn ring in hopes of Mike finally calling me. Although, I hadn’t worn the ring tonight, trying to forget Mike.

“Well I think you did that when you asked for a transfer.” Sidney looked hurt. “Jeff says anything when he’s drunk.”

I was in shock; I hadn’t wanted to tell them yet. My transfer might not even go through until the end of next week. “Look I’m still confused. Give me time, I’ll come back on my own time I promise.” I slipped away from the guys into the sea of people.

The faces were becoming unfamiliar to me now, “hello Kelly.” I turned quickly to find who spoke, “Daniel Briere” He saw my confused look and a smile crept on his lips, “Flyers player”

I felt dumb now that he said that. I should have known that most of the older guys were players, the parents of the children were much younger than what Danny looked like. “Sorry, I just got to know my guys names.” I moved to sit down at a table with my name in front of a plate.

He looked me over again and smiled, “Sorry I’m not trying to hit on you. I noticed you looked a little distraught, like you need to talk.” Hearing that made me feel relieved. I pointed to the chair beside me with no name card. “What happened?”

I hated telling what happened and decided to give him the short version of my long now annoying story, “Moved here, left my fiancé, kissed Staal, kissed Sidney and now they’re waiting for an answer from me.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

I laughed. Of all things I could do I laugh. “I don’t know what I want. Jordan is nice but has his playboy moments; Sidney relaxes me without saying a word.”

“Well Cherie, only you know what’s best.”

“There’s the problem. I’m trying to avoid them so much that I can’t figure out who’s the right one.”

I watched Daniel purse his lips and ponder the situation I had spilled everything to a guy I just met. He seemed to have a new perspective, which made me instantly not care that he knew about my life now. “Take a few days off and go somewhere.”

Food was set in front of me as he stood. “Please sit back down. I want to ask some questions about the rivalry.” I tried to get the subject off me and still have him around so I wouldn’t feel so awkward.

He smiled at me as he leaned an elbow on the table and waited a second to judge what I knew, “The flyers and penguins have had a rivalry for a while because we’re in the same state. Although, fans don’t survive the other stadium they go to. They usually start a fight. Both of us have crazy fans, so passionate about their team.”

The gleam in his eyes was so pure that I knew he loved playing for the flyers. I didn’t care about his French accent or the fact that he was saying things I didn’t understand until I heard my name, “How did you meet Sidney and Jordan?”

“It’s a funny story actually; I’m their foundation and charity person. Then everything I told you happened and now everything is fucked.” My hands flew up to my mouth as I realized I had dropped a bomb.

He looked a little shocked at my language. “Well now that this is over and I know you a little better, come watch a game next week to understand our rivalry. Friends only, you’re cute but excessively young for me Kelly. I’ll teach you why we hate each other during season.” He told me with a smile playing along his features.
♠ ♠ ♠
Questions i'd like your input on:
Should she transfer out? If so where?
What will happen with her and the boys?
Does she get a call from Mike?

Sorry for leaving you all stranded last week. Hope you like.
Thanks to those still reading this. hope you enjoy.
Also i didn't proof this, i will tomorrow
-S