Status: Active

The Gate Keeper

Chapter three

Is it possible to fall in love with someone’s eyes? I believed it was, because I had fallen in love with his deep blue gaze who met mine for a quick second becoming tighter and then ripping it away to gaze at all the other alarmed and welcoming guests. “He” was the master, and it fit him so well that if I could I would’ve changed his name to it. He stood in the entrance of the music room, not smiling but admiring each of his guests, mesmerizing each one of them with his eyes and I was under his wicked spell. He wore formal attire, an elegant and sleek black suit, black tie on his white collared shirt, comprised with a black jacket and black dress pants. His dark hair cascading below his ears.
The conversations picked up again, James had walked over to where Madeline and Isaiah had been sharing a deep conversation after greeting the women sitting down. He spoke with Isaiah, nodding and fidgeting the pocket watch dangling from his pants. I heard Alfred call my name, once, twice, who even counted but it was his cold hand upon my arm which brought me back to the ground. I turned to face him and Grace once again,
“Come I shall introduce you to a dear friend of mine”
Still holding Graces hand he took hold of my arm with his other one and nearly pushed me too where those eyes where, hunting every prey in sight. We reached Isaiah and Alfred shared a nod with him as did Grace, smiling and thanking him after he congratulated her for a much expected wedding. Alfred turned to the master,
“James I’d like to introduce you to my sister Emilia” The man, James turned his gaze to mine once again and revealed his hand from his pocket reaching for mine without taking his eyes off of me,
“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Emilia” my name on his lips sounded taboo, as if it was forbidden for him to even utter the syllables. I could not stop staring at him and I realized the temperature had become hotter for I was feeling incredibly warm all of a sudden. I placed my shivering hand on his and felt him grip my fingers, sending an unnatural feeling down my throat and too my belly. He barely placed his lips on my hand, yet I could feel his warm breath and I realized I wanted it everywhere. I whispered it was nice to meet him too and quickly retrieved my hand from his grasp; he noticed I was terrified and I saw a small grin play upon his lips. Oh his lips, how I wish I could taste that soft crimson flesh and to feel them on my neck.
It was a feeling I’d never felt before. I was someone else; these feelings weren’t mine…were they? I placed my hands behind my back softly tracing the outline of where he had ‘kissed’ with my thumb.
“James and I met in Paris, he was on the train with me and we shared a deep conversation about politics and I told him about our family campaign in which he decided to invest. He enticed me about his business and told me he was having this gathering today” Alfred kept talking on and on but it was all silenced by James stare which did not leave me for a single second, he was staring at my lips as I inhaled and exhaled, probably a bit faster than usual since I felt so nervous under his look. I stared at my brother as he talked senselessly not because I was listening but because I was intent on losing his gaze and trying to concentrate on something else but he did not stop his fix.
James then explained how it was a pleasure to had met Alfred for his, our, grandfather had been acquaintance with his grandfather and it was good to meet someone from the famous Lubbock family. Nothing could explain how I felt right now, naked, exposed for even if I did not speak I could feel each of his words directed to me. He wasn’t much of a talker though and it was all my brother or Isaiah. After a few minutes which felt like hours to me the same butler entered the room once again and approached James,
“Dinner is served Sir” James nodded and asked everyone to follow him to the dining room.
As I entered the large rectangular shaped room the first thing I notice were the huge four windows in the back wall revealing an incredible fountain, lit by green lights which danced around it making the water look green as if it was absinthe. The walls were a pale grey making the long table in the middle pop out due to its crimson table cloth. It was also decorated by fairly tall candles running down the middle and silver plates with silverware in front of each chair.
James suggested everyone should sit down and so we did. I ended up on the edge between Goddard who sat on my right, in front of me Penelope and beside her Alfred and Grace. On my left sat James which was the head of the table, so graceful I felt like a country bumpkin beside him, his arm was resting on the arm of the chair and he was caressing his chin with his index finger. My eyes kept coming back to his lips and I could almost shoot myself down for making it so obvious. A few servants came in after everyone was settled and began to pour the wine, then after a few minutes they came back with a plate for each one of us which consisted of lamb and vegetables.
“To James” Isaiah said while holding his cup up, everyone nodded and raised their cup, I held mine in my hand and also raised it midway. They all chanted ‘to James’ and drank from their see through glasses. I raised the wine glass to my lips and began to sip,
“So tell me Emilia, are you married?” I was taken aback by the question and coughed the wine I had just drank, Goddard who had asked the question asked if I was alright and I waved a hand to signalize that I was fine. From my peripherals I could see James eyes on Goddard, intrigued by the question he had just directed to me.
“Oh no sir, I have found marriage to be a great burden”
I smiled and took another sip of my wine hoping this time it would go down smoothly, he stared at me in confusion and I began to explain my vow of never wanting to marry for I was not qualified to carry such great responsibility.
“Nonsense, you must get married. Every woman should”
I disregarded the comment and began to cut my lamb, it was obvious to me this man wasn’t going to change his mind about his prejudice against women even if I did give him a piece of mine. After a while of delicious food and long mindless conversation, James finally spoke this time directing his gaze to everyone in the room.
“I believe it’s time for a much awaited dessert, if everyone could please follow me”
I was surprised to hear that this “dessert” was not what any normal person would think of, for example a cake or a creamy crambrule but something else, something much more wicked.
♠ ♠ ♠
and so the fun begins... *insert evil laugh here*