Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Any Volunteers?

After leaving Deklyn's room, I never saw him after that. I found out a month later that he was accepted into W Unit 13 and was doing well; no longer showing signs of being a feral. I was happy that I could help, yet still mad that doctors were being ass holes to those turned. I continued my work in the medical facility like I have been for the past two years. Unlike most doctors, I am specialized in werewolf care and treatment, so Level -14 was my home basically. I spent more time watching over the patients here than I do at my own flat. It's not like I have anything or one to go home to, so I spend my time here making sure the men and woman who take the bite are okay. They don't tend to like me much at first and when I do gain an ounce of trust, they are assigned a unit and I rarely ever see them again. Such is the life I signed up for. To be honest I was getting bored of the same monotonous routine of yelling at stupid doctors, making sure our residents were okay, and signing their releases. I wanted to get out of the hospital and see something, anything.
I got my wish a month and a half after the incident with Deklyn. All of the doctors on levels -13 to -15 were called into a meeting by the big wigs. I walked in and could tell none of them wanted to be there, they would rather be somewhere else like the bar or screwing a nurse or something. I found a seat and reclined in it. As I waited, I doodled on my tablet realizing yet again how isolated I was from everyone else. No one talk to me or approached me from the time I entered the auditorium to when the speaker started talking, yet they whispered and stared. I quietly listened as the other doctors talked about me as if I wasn't there; how lame. One doctor made a snide, crude comment and I looked up and glared at him. That group instantly went silent and I continued my drawing of a beach.
Finally, a man walked up to the podium and started speaking to us. "Hello everyone, the government has called you all here today for a very important reason." I rolled my eyes, it's always important. They're probably going to tell us a new policy dealing with the W Units or something stupid. "Two men have gone missing and we need your help finding them." Okay maybe not. I sat up and listened for once. "These two men are important researchers and have crashed landed on the planet Xenon. We have information that they have been taken hostage by a local pack and are hurt. We need to get these men back as soon as possible and we need three volunteers," The auditorium started buzzing, it wasn't often we got a chance to go somewhere. "Who will go with a special W Unit to rescue them." Once hearing that they would have to work with a W Unit, everyone stopped talking; they no longer wanted to go. "If we do not have volunteers, then we will draw names. Any volunteers?" Looking around, I raised my hand. "Yes, name please."
I stood up and stated my name and titles, "Alear-Rain Night, Human and Werewolf doctor and Mechanic."
"Thank you. Anyone else?" I sat down and leaned back, knowing no one else would want to do it especially now that I was on board. "Alright, if no one else will volunteer we will draw two names." He pressed a button on the podium and on the screen behind him a name popped up. "Clyde Smith, Human doctor." He pressed the button again and the final person was chosen. "Carl Van Daam, Human and Werewolf Doctor." The two men groaned at their fate. "We, the government, thank you for helping us retrieve our missing men. The three doctors please stay, we will brief you on your mission. Everyone else, you are dismissed." The auditorium quickly emptied and the three of us walked down the aisle to learn about our mission.
"This mission will be roughly two weeks long. Your job is to take care of the researchers once they are rescued, make sure they are healthy and unharmed. You will be working with a W Unit and each of you will be assigned a body guard from said unit. Be at the Central Building at 7 o'clock sharp, you will meet your guards and their unit. Any questions?"
I raised my hand, "Two, sir. First, if the men are in bad condition what should we do? We can't travel a week if one of them is in grave condition."
"In the packet you will receive tomorrow, you will find that you will be dropping them off on Clear Water which is only about 5 hours from Xenon."
I nodded and I asked my other question, "Also, what unit are we working with?"
"You will find out tomorrow, as of right now the unit has yet to be picked. Anything else?" We remained silent. "Thank you again, dismissed." The man turned and left, while we saluted him and took our leave. Dr. Carl and Clyde bitched and moaned as they walked back to their wings and I was glad to finally take a left while they continued straight. I went to my floor and checked over my patients for the day. When I had time, I asked who would take over for me while I was gone and hunted the doctor down.
I leaned against Dr. Singers door frame and knocked on the wall. "What?" She asked annoyed as she turned to face me. When she saw it was me she glared and asked, "What do you want?"
Yeah, she's not a fan of me, "I came to make sure you will treat my patients nicely and with respect." She snorted and went to turn. "Don't turn away from me." I growled. "If I find out you have disrespected, done a sloppy job during their check-up, or anything that I disapprove of to them, I will personally make your life a living hell."
"Oh and how will you do that?"
I grinned, "Do you want your husband to know what you do on 'late nights' with the nurse on floor 10?" Her eyes widened and the blood drained from her face. Yes, I'm a bitch to people and will stoop to blackmail, but only when it comes to things I care deeply for like my patients. "I don't want to do that, seriously I don't give a rat's ass about what you or anyone else do around here as long as you treat these people like people, especially My patients. I'll be back in about two weeks, if I find out that they have been taken care of like I would or close too then we will forget about what has transpired here. Deal?"
She scowled at me and replied, "Deal."
"Good, now I'm out of your hair for two weeks, rejoice and be glad." I turned on my heels and left the poor woman alone. I finished up my work and headed home for the night. I packed a bag with clothes and placed it and my work bag near the door. I went to sleep wondering what the mission would be like.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rai is what you would call a strong personality.