Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

It Hadn't Changed Much

"Finally a break after a year and a half." Deklyn smiled as we existed the shuttle onto Central Prime.
"After that mission, I thought we'd never have some down time." Lyla laughed as she laced her fingers with Rory. "That was a long mission."
"I can agree with that." Zane commented as we all circled around. "We need to debrief and then we are free to take the next two days off unless told otherwise. Let's go." We followed after our Alpha to a medium sized room where two commanding officers were waiting with a government official. We spent over two and a half hours talk about what our mission had entailed and how we managed to keep everything from getting too crazy. They were also impressed that we managed to come away from most of the planets we visited with an alliance with some of the packs. I wasn't sure if the alliance extended to our government, but I didn't bring that up. We were finally free to go to the barracks and unpack.
"Holy shit, this place has changed since we were last here." Deklyn's mouth almost literally dropped when we walked into the newly renovated W Unit post. Everything was now state of the art and up to date. "I heard a private investor was fixing up W posts, but shit I never thought ours would ever get done." I had to admit, I was impressed too. I followed after them to where they were staying to make sure they were all settled in and to just see the place. I whistled my approval as we walked through the corridors and past different rooms. I was most surprised by how homey the barracks were.
Everyone started unpacking, but I kept my things close as I looked around the room. "Aren't you going to claim a bed and put your stuff down?" Rory asked.
My eyes dropped from the ceiling to where he was, "No, I'm not gunna stay here tonight."
"What!" Deklyn and Rory both yelled.
"Relax guys." I laughed, "I thought after about three years I should probably go make sure my flat isn't trashed or have a homeless person living in it. Not that I'd really care if a homeless person was, I'd just like to now who he/she was."
"Oh yeah, you're from here. Still living in Jay's place?" Zane asked after putting his last article away.
I nodded, "Yep. I'll see you guys later." I waved and turned.
Deklyn, Rory, and Lyla all looked at each other and started after me, "Wait for us!"
I laughed, "Why?"
"We wana see what your place looks like. You know how we've lived, now we're curious to how you lived before you joined us." Deklyn replied.
"Alright." I shrugged and we headed to my flat. We chatted the whole way to the building and I greeted the old man who still worked at the front desk who barely recognized me. However, once he remembered who I was, he smiled brightly and greeted me like a grandchild he hadn't seen in a while; it warmed my heart. Once we reached my door, I swiped my card and finger print and opened the door. "Welcome to my flat." It was pretty bare bone, but had all the necessities for a single person who's rarely home.
"This is pretty..." Deklyn began.
"Lame." Lyla finished. "No offense Rai, but this place looks like it's not lived in."
"No shit Lyla, I haven't been here in three years." I looked at her before walking further in where the lights automatically turned on. "Make yourself at home. I know there isn't much, but the TV should work and the speakers are hooked up if you want to listen to music."
"Where are you going?" Deklyn asked.
"My room, I wana put these away." I turned left into the living room and entered the furthest door to my left. It hadn't changed much, which I wasn't surprised or anything. My queen sized bed was still neatly made with black and red damask bedding, my dark cherry wood dresser that I'd found in an antique shop still held a couple picture from my past, my certificates hung on the wall, and other odds and ends were still where I had left them.
"Nice room." Lyla commented as she stepped in after me.
"I like it. It was a guest room when Jay owned it, but eventually became my room whenever I came to visit and eventually stayed." I started unpacking my clothes for the next few days into my bureau.
"Rai come here a sec!" Rory called from the other room. I looked at Lyla and quickly made my way to where the guys were. "Please tell me this is Zane."
I took the frame from his hands to see a dark haired young man laughing as my brother tried to get him in a headlock. "Yep, he's probably around 19 in this pic." I handed it back. "Don't break it."
"So you two really did know each other back then." Rory commented in awe.
"Not really, I only met him once in person. These are all Jay's pictures."
"Where are yours?" Lyla asked.
I shrugged, "I don't really have any. I lived the moment, Jay was the one who liked to capture them."
"I wish I coulda met him, he sounds like a cool guy." Deklyn thought aloud as he looked at a picture of Jay and me laughing together.
"Yeah, me too..." I didn't dwell as I turned to finish unpacking. "Come on, let's go see the city." I smiled and ushered my friends out of the flat. We hung out for the rest of the day and after supper dispersed once again. Zane and I ended up walking around together, reminiscing about our time here.
"This was the hospital you worked at?" He asked as we passed a very tall impressive looking building.
"Unfortunately. That's not fair, I liked my patients I just disliked the staff and my coworkers."
"Want to go in and visit?" He teased causing me to scowl at him.
"Jerk." We were quiet as we walked the streets.
"It's been a long time since I've walked around here." Zane thought aloud. "Usually I'm here to either train or pick up a new pup." I looked over at him and listened. "Jay use to sneak some of us out to relieve stress and to feel like normal young adults. We'd get in trouble, but as long as nothing major happened, we would usually get off the hook. Your brother was very persuasive."
I chuckled, "That he was. He could sweet talk anyone." I stopped outside my building and turned to Zane. "Well, this is my stop, you can come up if you'd like."
He looked up and gave me a small smile. "Maybe another time, I should head back and make sure the other's haven't caused too much trouble."
"Alright, later Zane."
"Night Rai." I turned and headed back up to my empty flat. I wasn't in there for ten minutes when I received a call.
"Hello?" I asked without looking at the ID.
"You little tík, you come home and don't tell me! What kind of besti vinur are you?" Chezza's voice echoed through my small place.
"Chezza?"
"Who else?" I could hear her roll her eyes. "Now when did you get in?"
"Earlier this morning?"
"Of course. Wana let me in?"
"You're here?"
"Duh, now let me in!" I walked over to my door and peered through the little whole to see Chezza's smiling face. I laughed and opened the door. "RAI-RAI!" She threw her arms around me.
"What are you doing here?" I asked still astonished that my best friend was in my flat.
"Well, I have a meeting here and then I heard that a certain W Unit was here and immediately came over to investigate. Well, first I went to the barracks but was informed that you decided to sleep at home so I came right over. We are having a girl's night since we haven't seen each other in forever." She walked into the living room and sat down.
"What do you want to drink?" I asked as I followed after her.
"Wine please!" She smiled.
"Did you bring any because I haven't really been shopping."
She gave me a look and produced a glass bottle. "Of course." After I got everything, I sat down on my worn couch facing her. "So tell me what you've been up to."
"Well, we just got off of a mission that lasted over a year. It was a nonstop mission that took us all over the universe. I got to meet a lot of really cool people and made some friends." I smiled.
"Get into any fights?" She grinned over her wine.
"Pff, of course. Mostly with other humans though because they're dumb."
"That's my Rai." She laughed.
"It was mostly to keep some of the planets with high werewolf counts under control. If the gov doesn't do something soon, they'll have a rather large revolution on their hands. The werewolves won't put up with their bull soon and we won't be able to handle it."
"I know, there's a restlessness in the air. All the planets I've visited have the same vibe about them that make me antsy."
"I've noticed that too. Us going to these planets is only a temporary fix which won't last forever. So how's everything with you?"
"Great!" She smiled. She bit her lip and squirmed a little. "I have something to tell you."
"What?" I sat up anxiously.
"I'm pregnant." She glowed as my mouth dropped.
"No."
"Yep."
"Oh My Gods Chez!" I threw myself at her. "Congrats! How far along?"
"Two months." She replied bashfully.
"I'm going to spoil the crap out of this little one. You here that? I'm going to be your favorite aunt ever! Do you know its sex?"
She shook her head. "I want to keep it a secret, but knowing the wolves I work with they'll probably spill."
"Can they do that? Tell the gender I mean?"
"I don't know, but it's all chemicals." She shrugged.
"How's the father taking it?" I nudged her with my foot.
"He's ecstatic." He eyes grew soft. "I still can't believe I'm going to be a mom."
"Me either. It's one thing for Kay to have kids, but you."
"I know, how are Kally and Jameson?"
"Wonderful. I try to talk to them at least once a week, but I can't always do that." I pouted a little.
"I know, you're so busy." Then she got a glint in her eye. "So Miss Rai, any guy catch your eye?"
I laughed, "Didn't we just go over that I'm too busy to have any sort of life."
"Oh come on, you are hott. Have you not even hooked up with someone? You're wasting your youth!"
I looked down and shrugged, "Eh, if I'm going to sleep with someone, I'd want to be in a relationship instead of a one night stand. I've learned my lesson."
"Oh Rai. Then we are going to get you a date! That's final."
"Chezzzz!" I groaned.
"Come on Rai, what kind of girl are you!? Wait, unless..." She looked at me and gasped, "You do have someone you like!"
I looked at her startled, "Why do you say that?"
"Come on Rai, we've been friends forever. You've only ever complained about blind dates when you've liked someone. Who's the lucky guys this time?"
"It doesn't matter who the guy is, he probably doesn't even see me as anything more than a friend."
"Then he's one dumb guy."
"Chez."I rolled my eyes. "Plus, I'd be awkward of it didn't work out."
"Wait it's someone from your unit? Please tell me it isn't Jasper!"
"No!" I laughed and threw a pillow at her. "Goddess no, he still doesn't like me."
"How can someone spend years with you and not like you?"
"Let's go ask the doctors at the hospital and they'll gladly tell you."
"Tík."
"Chezza, not in front of the baby!" I gasped in appallment before giggling.
"I will find out who this boy is." She stared at me with narrow eyes.
I grinned and replied, "Just for shits and giggles, I'm not going to tell you. Have fun guessing. And I'll only confirm or deny when you give me a reason and it can't be a guess."
"You're on. I will find out." We spent the rest of the night hanging out; Chezza decided to stay the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who is this guy? Any guesses?

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=75392128 -lounging clothes