Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Court Their Daughter

I felt naked without my piercings and boring with my brown hair as I stood behind Jasper and Zane. I stepped up to the soldier with my head bend down. The man held out his palm impatiently and I slowly slipped my papers into it. After a moment a finger slipped under my chin and raised my head. The soldier looked into my grey eyes for a moment, dropped his hand, and waved me on. I quickly scurried to my pack mate's sides and we moved on through the crowd. My eyes caught Rory's for a mere second before we both looked away.
We wandered through the well known town acting lost until two hours later when we arrived at the decrepit apartment building we would be staying at. We climbed the five flight of stairs and found the door with our number on it. "Ready to act like normal wolves?" Zane whispered to us.
"Sure, why not." I shrugged. Zane opened the sticking door with a push of his shoulder and the three of us walked in. We surveyed the small place, it could have been worse. There was a small living room, an even smaller kitchen, and two bedrooms. "This place needs some TLC." I commented as we walked through to pick our rooms.
"Some?" Jasper asked with sarcasm dripping off every letter. I gave him a slight nudge as I picked the room farthest from the entrance.
"Mine." I grinned and slipped into the 10x10 box of a room.
"Why does she always get to pick first?" I heard Jasper ask.
"Because. Besides I'm pretty sure this room is bigger than her's." Zane replied as the two men walked into their room.
"I doubt by much." It was quiet as we started unpacking our knapsack bag we each brought. It didn't take long and we all met up in the living room basically at the same time.
"I should check on the others soon." Zane scowled, unhappy with breaking up the pack.
"Do it through Kyle or Sid for the first couple days until we 'meet' them." I said, just as unhappy.
Zane scrubbed his hand over his face, "I know. Well, shall we go visit our friends?" We all nodded and walked out the door. Few moments later we were knocking on a familiar door.
The door swung open and Kyle smiled at us, "Hi. I was wondering when you'd come by." He swept his arm out to usher us in. "Well, don't you three look completely different, for a second I didn't even recognize you. Rai, if I didn't know you better I would have never guessed you were standing in front of me right now."
"I'll take that as a compliment to my awesome beautician skills." I grinned and walked up to him.
"Of course. Is everyone this different?"
"Mostly."
"How are you two doing? Alpha Zane." Kyle greeted Zane.
"Not fond of breaking the pack up, but it could be a lot worse." He replied honestly.
"Yes, my condolences on the circumstance you find yourself in."
"Thanks. How are you?"
"Quite well. I've been looking into jobs for everyone," He started walking towards the living room of the apartment. "There's a little bit of everything here and most places are looking. If you want your pack to be able to visit each other, I'd suggest having some get jobs together. It's not strange for wolves to become friendly at work. The hardest time you'll have is Rai. She may smell like pack but ultimately she is only as strong as a human and a mere actor. If she isn't careful, she could easily expose herself."
"So I need an easy job that doesn't require much strength and to be on high alert at all times. Sounds about right." I quipped as I sat back. After spending a few hours with Kyle and Side (when he returned), Jasper, Zane, and I left. Two days after our arrival, the pack went out to look for jobs. It took us a week, but eventually everyone had one. I ended up working as a waitress at a local restaurant with Trina. She wasn't really fond of the idea, but quickly settled in as a bartender where she ended up grinning more often than not.
As I worked, I tried hard not to make myself standout too much. I was warned almost everyday by either Zane, Jasper, or Kyle to keep a low key and just drift, but I found that boring. Two months into my job and I knew almost everyone of the regulars by name. I'd catch Trina shaking her head every time she caught me talking with someone.
I came home one day to Zane looking annoyed. I ditched the keys to the apartment on the small table we managed to find and shrugged off my vest. "Ah, hi?"
"Rai, what do you think you are doing?" Zane never moved from his spot against the counter.
"Well, I was planning on taking a shower since I dumped some coffee on me."
"Not what I meant."
"Please don't play mind games with me Zane, I'm tired and my feet hurt."
"I gave you specific orders to keep a low profile, which you have apparently disobeyed."
I looked at him confused, "What?"
"Everyone knows you Rai."
"Wait, have I been tattled on? And am I getting in trouble?"
"Rai, I gave you one small order: keep a low profile. It's to protect us and you're disobeying it."
"That's not fair, I'm trying. I'd be rude not to talk to the customers."
"There's a difference between being polite and blowing our cover. We are doing our best to protect you from the police and you aren't even trying."
"I am too!"
"Is that why half this place knows who you are?"
I stomped my foot in frustration, "I can't help it. I talk to people, believe it or not I'm a nice person. I don't tend to just go about and not interact with people."
"Rai Night may not but Katie Lahey is suppose to stay out of everything. We are criminals Rai! You can't be doing this."
"You don't think I know this?"
"I don't know anymore Rai, with how reckless you're being."
My face darkened as I stepped up close and in his face. I growled, "How can I forget when this is all my fault." I spun on my heels and slammed the bathroom door shut. I slid down the door and listened as Zane came up next to it.
"Rai, I'm sorry." I didn't reply as I got up, walked over to the shower, turned it on, and stepped in. I didn't even care that my clothes were still on.

~~3rd POV~~
Zane wandered down to Kyle and Sid's apartment with a large container of meat. Most of his pack and a few neighbors had arrived for the monthly dinner the complex tended to have. Kyle's entire floor was opened up with dozens of wolves milling about.
"Hello." Kyle greeted as Zane walked up beside him. "Good, you brought the meat. Where's Rai, she's usually right beside you when you two come." Kyle started making burger patties.
"She's still taking a shower." Zane replied as he started heating up the stove.
Kyle turned his head to look at Zane, "She never takes this long, what's bothering her?"
Zane hesitated as he replied, "We got into a fight."
"About what?"
Zane scanned the room for any prying ears, "About our situation."
"Oh dear, what happened?"
"She's going against orders."
"Rai's doing her best Zane."
"I know... I'm just-"
"Worried about everyone?"
"Yes."
"Especially her?" Sid asked, coming up to see how dinner was going.
"Well yeah, she isn't exactly like us."
"Not what I meant Zane." Sid gave him a slide long glance.
"Then what do you mean Sid?"
"You want to protect her and not just as an Alpha but also as a man."
"Why do you think that?"
"Because you get the same look in your eye that I do when Kyle is in danger." Sid looked at the younger man pointedly before walking off to do other things.
"I've seen the way you look at her." Kyle added.
"We can't..."
"Why not? Because you're an Alpha? Because you're a wolf? I'm pretty sure she wouldn't care on either accounts."
"No, we just can't. We're in too much danger."
"If you wait until you are no longer in danger, the opportunity may never come. You may have to get Deklyn and Rory's permission before you can court their daughter, but if you ask nicely I'm sure they'll let you." Kyle winked.
"Kyle." Zane growled lightly, receiving a warning from Sid who was in another room.
"Zane. At the very least you should go talk to her and straighten your problem out."
"I tried saying sorry, she didn't even respond."
"She's mad Zane, it's going to take a little while. Leave her be for now, but don't take too long or the problem will grow."
Zane sighed, "I'm an Alpha, I should have the answers."
"You're young and human, you still have a lot to learn before you're as wise as me."
Zane looked at Kyle skeptically, "You're only what two years older than me?"
"Two years can be a lot of knowledge learned, sonny." Kyle wagged his finger. "I also have over five years of being mated that you would know nothing about. Rai may be female and Sid a male, but love is love. It's hard and can be infuriating sometimes, but put in the effort and it's worth all the hard times. Don't waste time worry about the what if's because you may lose the can be's."
"You sound like you know from experience."
"A little. My brother missed out on a great mate because he waited too long and as I was dying all I could think about was the time Sid and I skirted around each other and fought. I decided that if I lived, I wouldn't waste my time."
"So much easier said than done."
"Not when you start doing it."
"I'm an Alpha, it isn't just about me."
"No, but you can't expect Rai to wait for you either. She's aware of what being a wolf, a pack, and an Alpha means, she wouldn't be going into the relationship blind. And just because you are an Alpha doesn't mean you can't think about you once in a while."
"I don't know..."
"You have a pack for a reason, hell you have a Beta for a reason. I'm pretty sure everyone will be excited that you have found a mate or a potential mate."
"Or they'll rip me to shreds because everyone that gets to know Rai seems to become strangely protective of her."
"Or that. Just remember to ask yourself this, is she worth the risk? If so, go for it."
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=94846913 -outfits the girls arrive in