Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'Looked Like A Bit More Than Friends'

“Morning,” Layton muttered, as my eyes flickered open the next day.
“Morning,” I sighed, rubbing my eyes.
“I brought breakfast,” he smiled, placing a tray laden with croissants, cereal, bacon, toast and tea down on the bed.
“Thank you,” I choked, still finding it hard getting used to the idea of Layton and I actually getting along. He was already up and dressed, wearing blue jeans and a white Ralph Lauren polo shirt which showed off his muscular arms.
“It’s okay, anything for you,” he smiled, and I felt myself blushing.
“By the way, I’m going for a scan in a couple of weeks, and I wondered if maybe…you would like to come?” I trailed off nervously, unsure of what to say. I had originally planned to take Mel or Auntie Julie with me, but given that Layton and I had finally sorted things out, I figured he had a right to come.
“Yeah definitely,” he smiled, his eyes lighting up.
“Okay cool,” I said.
“Jenna, what’s gonna happen now though?”
“What do you mean?” I asked puzzled.
“What if I go to prison?” I stared up at him, wrapping my arms around his neck.
“That won’t happen; I checked. Because you thought I was over sixteen, you can’t get convicted.”
“Are you sure?” he asked.
“I’m sure.”
“Alright, I’m gonna go have a fag and let you get ready,” he decided, and I felt a sudden wave of disappointment rush over me. After everything that had happened, I had a real issue with people smoking or drinking or anything like that. I couldn’t understand the reason for it. It was self-destructive behaviour, and I hated seeing people throw their lives away like that. From what I’d heard, tobacco wasn’t the only thing Layton was smoking either.
Sighing, I finished off my breakfast and pulled myself out of bed. I threw on a denim shirt, some black leggings and my blue trainers, aswell as my usual collection of bracelets to hide the scars on my wrists.

“So I guess you and Layton sorted things out then?” Ellis winked as I walked into the kitchen.
“What? Did he speak to you?” I asked quickly.
“No, I came upstairs to check on you guys last night, make sure you hadn’t killed each other, but you were both asleep…looking very cosy,” he smiled knowingly.
“Yeah, we sorted things out,” I grinned, “All friends now.”
“Looked like a bit more than friends.”
“Ssh, we’re just friends.”
“For now maybe,” he winked.
“Piss off,” I joked, “I’m going to Mel’s, should be back before dinner.”
“Cool, you need a lift?”
“Nah, I’ll ask Layton,” I decided, heading towards the front door. Layton was leaning against the far wall, smoking a cigarette still. I snatched it out his hands and stumped it out. I refused to go near people when they were smoking.
“What is with you? Can I not have a cigarette in peace around here?” he asked, and my mind drifted back to last time I stumped out his cigarette.
“Whatever. You giving me a lift to Mel’s or what?”
“What, now?” he exclaimed.
“Yeah.”
“Sure,” he sighed, taking his keys out of his pocket and unlocking the car.

Two weeks passed, and the day of the scan finally arrived. I was freaking out, and I wasn’t even sure why, but for some reason Layton found it absolutely hilarious. Over the past couple of weeks, we had grown closer, and I was beginning to think things were finally working out between us. He ran around after me all the time, constantly talking about how excited he was for the baby to arrive, which shocked me because I never imagined him to be the fatherly type. It turns out maybe my first impressions were wrong.
“Relax, if this is what you’re like for a fucking scan, what will you be like in labour?” Layton laughed as we drove to the hospital.
“God knows, I’m shitting it.”
“I can see,” he laughed, reaching for my hand, “You’ll be fine.”
“Will I though?” I asked nervously.
“Course you will Jenna. You got through everything else, so you’ll get through this aswell. I’ll be here with you through all of it,” he reassured, and I smiled. This was the side of Layton that I loved; the sweet, caring, protective side. I hated the horrible side of him that came out usually when he’d been drinking or taking some kind of drugs.
“Thank you,” I smiled, gripping his hand tighter.
“Anytime.”

My heart was racing as I lay on the hospital bed getting ready for the scan.
“How are you feeling?” the midwife asked me.
“Nervous,” I admitted.
“Don’t be, it’s really nothing to worry about. I’m assuming you’re the father?” she asking, turning her attention to Layton.
“Yeah,” he muttered, and I could tell he felt awkward. On the very first appointment with the midwife, Auntie Julie had explained everything to the midwife. She said it was important they knew about my past, and about what happened the night of the party, in order to help me have a safe and healthy pregnancy or something. I personally found it a bit weird that this woman, whom I knew nothing about, knew absolutely everything about me, but I was trying not to let it bother me.
“How’s your pregnancy been so far then?”
“Alright,” I smiled, “I’ve had morning sickness a bit but it’s nothing bad.”
“Okay, how about any mood swings?”
“Hell yes,” Layton joked, nudging my arm knowingly as the midwife smiled warmly.
“Oi you,” I laughed, “To be honest, they haven’t been too bad…not great but it could be a hundred times worse.”
“Yeah,” Layton agreed.
“Okay good. What I’m going to do now is just put this gel on your stomach, it’s very cold but don’t worry,” she explained. I flinched as the gel touched my stomach, and the midwife moved the transducer over it. Layton stood next to me, gripping my hand for support. After a few seconds, an image appeared on the screen.
“There it is,” the midwife smiled, explaining to us that the baby was healthy. Layton put his arm protectively around my shoulders, and I felt a sudden wave of happiness rush over me, tears welling in my eyes. The baby was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Suddenly I was actually quite excited for the baby to arrive. The fact that it was healthy was a huge weight off my shoulders. I guess I suffered pretty badly from paranoia, and I was constantly worried sick that the pregnancy wouldn’t go well, but now I definitely felt more at ease.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, my laptop broke AGAIN. I know this chapter isn't great but providing my laptop doesn't break this time, I'll update at some point this week.

Shoutout to beautifulcreatures and Emmylouu for the comments. Thank you millions :')