Sequel: The Takeover
Status: It's finally finished! Which makes me sad... I miss writing Elessar and Idril :/

Criminal

Chapter Fifteen

"A-a d-dragon." The girl stuttered. We haven't seen dragons in elven territory since the king took his throne, which was about two hundred years ago. What is one doing here? The only dragons live in dwarven territory, which would be a six month journey for dragons, even longer for us elves.

They are also extremely difficult to kill. There's no way I'm strong enough, I could hardly manage to defeat that lizard monster. However I might be able to scare it away.

"Are we going to help, Elessar?" Idril asked urgently.

"Elessar?" The girl whispered. "You mean the beast whisperer. The man who could slay entire hordes of monsters with only his pinky finger?"

"Yeah, that's me..." I rubbed the back of my neck. "But I'm a out out of practice... Magik being banned and all."

She nodded slowly. "Will you please help? Please? I know you're weaker than before but the whole town will be murdered if we do nothing." Tears formed in her eyes. I sighed, I have a weakness for women's tears.

"I'll help. However, I do not promise its head, I may only be able to scare to away. If it returns I'll call in help and we'll kill it. But for now I fear I must allow it to live." She nodded and started running, hopefully towards the town and we followed. The charge to the town only took a few moments. I couldn't believe the damage.

The west side of the town was completely ablaze. People were screaming and running in all directions. It was chaos. I couldn't find the dragon, I hope, for my sake, he has already left.

But, of course, my luck did not prevail. The dragon was curled around the tower of what appeared to be the church. It was a burgundy color with black stripes down its wings, and its luminous, yellow eyes were focussed on me.

Elessar. It called out to me telepathically. I have only heard legends of dragons and their abilities. It seems they really can get in your head.

"What do you want from this town?" I yelled towards it. The girl looked startled.

"Was that him?" She muttered.

"Yeah, it really takes some getting used to. It's strange to think that a roar to us sounds like perfect English to him." Idril chuckled.

I came to warn you. That girl will only bring you trouble. You should hand her over to me and I'll take her off your hands and spare this village. The dragon seemed to smile deviously.

"The king sent you, didn't he?" I growled in anger. It chuckled in my head. The girl next to Idril jumped and squeaked in fear.

He did, he really wants this girl. I know why and you do too. So, if you hand her over now it'll make your life easier. You won't die like Tathar, you'll be free to woo whatever girl you desire. You could start with the black haired girl next to you. She's weak and beautiful... So what to you say? The monster's demeaning tone angered me even more.

"I will not hand her over to a monster, especially not a dragon!" I spat at him. He chuckled again. My hands balled into fists and I started shaking in rage.

"Elessar?" Idril whispered, then placed her hand on my shoulder. "Don't him get to you. He is merely a vicious beast. You're better than him." She knew just how to calm me down. I took a deep breath and relaxed.

"Leave now if you wish to survive." I said with an obnoxious amount of confidence.

You have one week to make your decision. You may give me the girl or perish along with the rest of the town. Choose wisely, young one. Then he flew away. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

"You did it!" The girl cheered.

"For now but he'll return." I looked at the flames that had engulfed the town. "Can you lend me some magik, Idril?"

"Of course." She answered. A crease formed between her eyebrows, she appeared to be concentrating extremely hard. After a few moments she handed me her ring. Confusion took hold of my thoughts, but I slid the ring onto my finger anyway. The beautiful song I had heard in my dream at Corinth's sounded at a deafening volume in my ears. I gasped, but felt more powerful than ever before, even back when I was in the army. I looked over, wide eyed, at Idril. She was smirking.

I pushed the shock to the back of my mind and conjured a simple fire dousing spell. With the help of Idril's magik I managed to put out every last inch of fire. It appeared everyone had made if to safety... Or, if they hadn't, were eaten by the dragon.

I strolled back to Idril and the unnamed woman, who were catting up a storm. I handed Idril her ring and she smiled at me.

"Ayanna's mother owns the town inn which wasn't damaged by the flames, and she has offered us a room. Isn't that great?" She beamed at me.

"That'd fantastic." I panted, slightly tired from using that much magik. "How much do we owe you?"

"My mother and I insist on giving you a free room. For all you have and will do for the town." Her blue eyes sparkled with reverence.

"We couldn't accept that." All I did was argue with a dragon and buy them one week to prepare.

"Well, you don't have a choice." She said stubbornly, then dragged us to the inn. I was too exhausted I fight her any further on the subject and allowed her to escort us to our room. It was beautiful and very spacious. The walls were a light tan against dark wood floors and a whit ceiling. There was the largest bed I had ever seen placed in the middle of the room between two full sized windows, it was breath taking. I felt like royalty again. Once we were in the room alone and I managed to stop gawking, I fell onto the bed and Idril sat next to me.

"What was that ring thing you did?" I asked her.

"Seyllian, the innkeeper who gave it to you taught me some new tricks before we left. She wanted me to have some idea on how to use the ring before I left. But she said they weren't as efficient as the natural way of... Erm.... Transferring magik and advised against them if they weren't absolutely necessary." That peaked my interest, I propped myself up on my elbows to look at her.

"What kind of tricks?" I asked.

She smirked. "I'll show you my favorite but no more after that. I get tired from magik use also." She smiled and stared into to eyes then kissed her palm and blew me a kiss. But this time I could see the kiss delicately floating through the air. Then it hit me, and it packed a punch. I was engulfed in her song once more and all I could smell was her vanilla scent. It was mesmerizing. I sighed in happiness.

"That's impressive." I smirked lazily at her.

"I also thought it was." She yawned huge. "The dragon was after me, wasn't it?"

"Yeah." I said honestly. "It tried to convince me that you were dangerous and I should give you to it is it could take you to the king."

"Is that why you were literally shaking with anger?" She whispered. I nodded.

"Why didn't you just hand me over? I am dangerous, my father won't stop sending monsters after me until I'm caught." She frowned and tears spilled from her eyes. I sat up and pulled her close to my chest, burying my face in her tangled hair.

"I thought I told you not to forget." I sighed.

"What do you mean?" She sniffled. I leaned back and looked into her eyes.

"I told you not to forget that you're special to me. I'm not professing my love, you're just more interesting to me than other girls. Remember?" She smiled weakly and nodded. I placed my lips to her forehead. "I'm exhausted, so I'm going to sleep, you should too." She nodded and we crawled under the covers. I held her in my arms, and she fell asleep almost end instantly.

I wish I could say the same but my mind was preoccupied and on hyperdrive. What do I do? Do I turn Idril in? It would make my life easier... But not as fun. I would miss holding her in my arms and her color changing eyes. Is this hoe Tathar felt? Like life might as well end if he lost her? Am I really going to miss this girl? Could I go on without her? I need to be able to. I have to leave her at some point... Don't I?

What's going to happen a week from today? Will I lose her? Will I lose my life? This much uncertainty is killing me. I don't know what to do!
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay I updated fast again. This next part isn't going to be super lovey dovey or action packed. It's going to be Elessar's thoughts building up to the day the dragon comes back.

Will he let her go and crush her dreams or potentially die (just like Tathar) to save her?

Thank you for the comment, they fuel my creative juices :)