Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

Let It Go

The flight from New York City to Los Angeles was a long and exhausting one. I had to use all of my strength to keep up with Stark, and holding Loki, who weighs a ton more than he would as a human, nearly killed me. When we landed in Stark’s driveway, I had to let Loki go and tuck and roll, for I knew if I landed on my feet, I would have snapped my legs in half. Thor was already patiently waiting on the porch, sitting on the concrete steps nonchalantly swinging Mjolnir by its strap. Stark lowered himself gracefully to the ground, while Loki and I exploded away from each other. I used a spell on him to ensure he didn’t hurt himself, then we both landed and rolled across the driveway like struck bowling pins. Smoke billowed everywhere.
I cursed and pushed myself up onto all fours. Loki came to my side and took my arm, helping me to my feet.

“Are you okay, love?” he asked, deep concern written on his features.

I dusted myself off and nodded.

“Just tired,” I replied.

Loki gave me a soft smile, then looked up to Stark.

“Quite a brilliant plan you had,” he said jokingly.

Stark’s face plate flew up, revealing a nervous billionaire.

“Yeah, I really don’t know what made me do that. Probably not my best plan. I mean, you scare the shit out of me,” Stark said.

Loki smiled and tried not to laugh.

“I mean, you really scare the shit out of me. I’m not going to lie. I don’t know why I did that, ‘cause now I’m sure we’re wanted for assistance in a resisted arrest. We’re all probably going to jail. However, you two are the only people that can save this planet. You’re our only hope, and I’m scaring myself just saying that, but I just…I have this feeling that S.H.I.E.L.D. are up to something, and I trust you more than I trust them. You just have to trust me on this. I have a plan,” Stark explained, “Banner is going to help us. He should arrive by this evening, and then we’ll get out of here and form our next plan. Maybe S.H.I.E.L.D. will think we’re not stupid enough to come back here. Banner said he’d try and distract them, so we’ll see if we get arrested here in the next few hours.”

I crossed my arms over my chest and cut my eyes at Loki.

“Sounds like a better plan that your’s,” I said lowly.

It didn’t register with Loki that I was speaking to him. I reached an arm out and shoved him. Loki stumbled sideways and stared at me, more worried than shocked. Up until this point, I had not betrayed my anger for Loki’s sake, as I feared my yelling at him would somehow worsen the situation and he would have been handcuffed. I kept my cool, but now that we had a moment, I let hell break loose. I was pissed at him, and I think I had a right to be.

“What in the hell were you thinking, Loki?” I shouted, “Coming down to Earth and just picking off a few people and returning home like nothing happened? Did you think you wouldn’t get caught?”

Loki looked conceited, and I wanted to slap that look right off of his face.

“It wasn’t the plan,” he said.

I growled in aggravation and began to pace around him like a predatory animal.

“Was this that night you stayed up all night?” I snapped.

I watched a flicker of guilt cross his eyes. I clenched my jaw and shook my head, ashamed of him. I turned my back on him and looked to Stark.

“May we go in?” I asked.

He nodded.

“I just ask that you please don’t break anything. Recent build, you know?”

“I’ll replace it if anything gets broken,” I promised him.

I turned back around, glared at Loki, and pointed to the door.

“March,” I ordered.

Loki watched me, trying to play innocent. My hand caught fire, the annoying scraping noise I had yet to work out echoed over the high walls of Stark’s home and garage. Loki held his hands up in surrender and hung his head as he walked to the door. I followed closely behind.

“JARVIS, unlock the door, please,” Stark spoke.

The door beeped and clicked. Loki reached for the handle and opened it for me. I felt my chest knot up as he did so. He was making it really hard for me to be mad at him. I looked to him before looking over at Stark and Thor.

“Stark, thank-you,” I said.

He nodded his head. I turned back around and walked in, Loki following casually behind. I looked around the house. Inside was a mixture of modern and futuristic, but definitely smelled like a home. Like fabric, coffee, and the hint of a woman’s perfume. It made me desperately want to return to my chambers in Asgard, like we weren’t be hunted by S.H.I.E.L.D. and, presumably, a demon army.
I turned down the nearest hallway, which was softly illuminated by a skylight. I walked down it a little ways before stopping and turning to Loki.

“You lied to me,” I said in a dark, accusing tone.

Loki held a finger up.

“Technically, I didn’t. I was up all night,” he said.

I snorted in disgust.

“How many innocent lives were ended?” I asked.

Loki looked horrified.

“Avery, I had only the best intentions,” he said.

“You say that and then a bunch of innocent people get hurt.”

Loki bared his teeth.

“I hurt none, Ave. I only killed three. The three men who hurt you—who scarred you.”

I felt my eyes widen.

“I sought vengeance for you, love. The only lives that were taken were those deserving of a position in Hel. A man named Charlie.”

I fought to suppress a shudder.

“Another named Lester, and a third named Vince,” he listed.

At the sound of Vince’s name, I cringed and fought back the bile rising in my throat.

“They know their deaths came by my hand,” he said darkly.

I sighed and watched him for a moment. His face was calm, but his eyes were screaming out an apology. My shoulders dropped and my arms broke apart in defeat. I couldn’t argue with him.

“Loki, you could have gotten yourself killed,” I hissed.

He timidly approached me.

“I had control of the situation,” he said.

I didn’t reply. Loki took my shoulders and leaned down, his eyes connecting with mine, creating an impenetrable bond.

“I never meant to be caught, nor for us to be wanted criminals of Midgard. All I wanted was to make sure they got what they deserved. Please, Ave, don’t be angry with me. Or Stark, for that matter,” he said.

I swallowed hard.

“Please forgive me, darling,” he said softly.

I had to look away from him. Damn him and that silver tongue!

“I do,” I replied.

Loki perked up.

“The only thing I don’t forgive you for is not bringing me with you to help kill them,” I said.

Loki grinned. I reached up and hugged him.

“How did they die?” I asked.

Loki chuckled and kissed my shoulder.

“Violently,” he said, the brutal word never sounding more beautiful.

I pulled back and Loki planted a soft kiss on my lips.

“I love you, Ave,” he said.

I stroked his cheek.

“I love you, too, you little shit,” I replied.

Loki laughed and yanked me into a hug, playfully lifting me off the floor, making me laugh.
Down the hall, a door opened and Stark and Thor walked in.

“Guys, come to the shop when you’re done,” Stark said.

My laughter faded and I looked from them to Loki. He smiled at me and held his hand out. I took it and fell into step with him, following Stark and Thor to the shop.

***

In Stark’s workshop, I sat with the men as we discussed the demons and the portals. We knew there was no way to close them without finding what controlled them first. We would have to wait until we discovered the person controlling the demons to find a way to close the portals. On top of the portals, we had to destroy the enemy, and on top of that, we had to remain hidden.

“Sir,” a voice, one smooth with a pleasant British accent spoke.

I jumped, not expecting the disembodied voice.

“It’s just JARVIS,” Stark said to me, “What is it?”

“Sir, Pepper has arrived home. I was suggested preparing yourself. Your company may come as a shock.”

Stark’s eyes widened and he jumped up from his reclined position. Up above us, a door opened and a woman came clacking down the stairs in her black heels and business suit, strawberry blonde hair pinned up in a bun and a portfolio tucked under one arm.

“Tony, we need to talk. I just heard from—“

The woman stopped in her tracks at the base of the stairs, staring right at Thor, Loki and I with her mouth hanging open.

“JARV, you’re a little late there,” Stark quipped.

“I apologize, sir,” JARVIS replied.

Pepper swiftly approached us.

“Pepper, I can explain—“

“Tony, no! This? What the hell, Tony? That’s Loki, am I wrong?”

Stark casually clasped his hands behind his back and looked over at Loki, his bottom lip pushed out and his eyebrows.

“No, that’s Loki,” he said, all too calmly.

Pepper looked horrified. Loki shifted uncomfortably beside me.

“Get him out of here, Tony. What are you thinking?” she all but screamed, “This is the man who caused you so much stress. All of those anxiety attacks! Did all of that somehow slip your mind?”

Stark took a deep breath.

“No,” he replied.

“Then what is he doing in our house? Have you lost your mind? Did Thor bring him here? Thor, I’ll deal with you, and I don’t know who the hell you are, but Loki, get out or I will shoot you right between your damn eyes!”

Loki didn’t move.

“Hey! Do not threaten my brother like that!” Thor boomed.

Loki looked down at his boots. I linked my arm with his. I could sense his pain. It was understandable that she feel aggression towards Loki. I would call her crazy for not freaking out, but she saw him as a monster and insinuated so. It made it that much harder for me to convince him that he wasn’t and that much easier for him to believe that he was. The opinion of one human should not matter, but the heart takes any beating it’s offered.

“I brought him here,” Stark said.

Pepper stared at Tony, tears of rage in her eyes.

“All three of them. And if it wasn’t for Loki and Avery, I would not be standing here speaking with you, Pep. I’m assuming that you heard about what happened on the beach,” he said.

“What happened on the beach? What beach? All I heard about was you being summoned to New York to be with The Avengers. I did not even think had left yet, if you were going to leave at all!”

“There was an attack by a swarm of demons from Niflheim. At least, that’s where we believe they originate from,” Thor spoke up.

Pepper’s face held a mixture of outrage and confusion.

“What? What is Niflheim? Tony,” she pleaded.

“Honey, listen to me. Remember what I told you about S.H.I.E.L.D.? How they’re fixing to cause a big mess? Right?”

Pepper nodded.

“Okay, well, Loki kind of did a nice thing and it kind of backfired and S.H.I.E.L.D. found out and kind of wanted him dead but we need him to defeat these demons, right? Yeah, so I kind of maybe sort of possibly have a warrant out on myself. We all kind of helped him resist arrest.”

Pepper gasped and smacked Stark hard on the shoulder.

“What the hell were you thinking?” she shrieked.

“The right thing,” I spoke up.

Pepper looked over me.

“Who are you?” she asked.

“Avery. Of Asgard. Witch. All that jazz. Listen, these demons are ruthless. They would have wiped out your planet had two sorcerers not had their hand in the battle today. Magic is their weakness. Mr. Stark—“

“Tony. Please, just Tony,” Stark—Tony said.

“Tony, who I’m sure Thor has already discussed our portal problem,” I began.

I started to walk forward, but I had failed to notice Loki was holding my hand, and had no intention of letting go.

“Loki, please,” I said.

Loki looked down at me with sad eyes, then reluctantly let go. I looked back up at Pepper, who didn’t look too thrilled that I was approaching her.

“Tony knows we won’t get anywhere working with The Avengers. We have enemies coming at us from both sides,” I said.

Tony nodded.

“We need Loki and Avery, and they wanted to kill Loki. We need his power and his help. I promise you he isn’t here for anything sinister. What you saw on TV, okay, was not him. That was some funky alien magic I don’t understand. He won’t hurt you. He won’t hurt us. He’s here to help, but in order to help, we kind of have to run.”

Pepper took a moment to absorb what was trying to be explained to her. She was silent for a moment before nodding.

“Let me go with you,” she said.

“No, Pepper. God, no. I can’t have you in danger like that. I did a potentially stupid thing. I’m sure I’m going to prison. But look, you stay here. Go to Happy’s. Whatever you feel safest doing. Banner should be arriving soon, and afterwards we’re getting out of here.”

Pepper sighed.

“We’ll keep Stark safe,” Loki spoke up.

Pepper jumped, spooked by his voice. She had never heard him speak before.

“I can promise you that,” he said.

Pepper breathlessly nodded.

“O-o-okay. Um, thank-you,” she said, stumbling over her words.

Loki bowed his head.

“So, Avery, right?” she asked.

I nodded.

“You’re a witch?” she asked.

I fought back a smile.

“Some would say the Wicked Witch of Asgard,” I said, trying to mask my bitterness.

“Night Sorceress is the proper term for it,” Loki said.

Pepper looked up at him. I spun around to stare at him. He just winked at me.

“A sorceress highly skilled in dark magic. Night magic. Magic of Niflheim. Workings with the dead. What you humans would call a Paranormal Sensitive,” he said.

Pepper nodded slowly. I looked up at the ceiling thoughtfully.

“Never thought about it that way,” I said.

Loki chuckled.

“Okay, so you know these demon things?” she asked me.

I nodded.

“And Loki?” she asked.

“I do, too. Not as extensively, but I do have some knowledge of the beasts,” he said.

Pepper nodded.

“Plus, Loki and Avery are skilled in the art of battle,” Thor said.

“Oh, you should have seen them kick demon ass. Impressed the hell out of me,” Tony said, trying to lighten the mood.

Pepper sighed.

“Okay. Fine. When is Dr. Banner arriving?” she asked.

Tony shrugged.

“Here in a few hours,” he said.

Pepper nodded.

“Well, make sure you have everything. Might as well have dinner, too,” she said.

“‘Kay, babe,” Tony said.

“I’m going to go have a shower,” she announced, then turned to Loki and I, “Um, it was nice meeting you two, I think.”

Loki and I bowed our heads respectively. With that, Pepper fled the shop to take her shower. Tony turned back to us.

“Okay. Loki, is there a spell you know of that can detect cameras? That’s how S.H.I.E.L.D. found you the first time, and that’s how they will find us,” he said.

Loki narrowed his eyes.

“I’m not familiar with electronic technology. I’m aware of what a camera is, but I do not understand what you mean,” he replied.

Tony returned to his office chair.

“I may be able to figure something out,” he said, propping his feet up on the glass desk.

“I could short-circuit them,” Thor offered.

Tony smiled.

“It would be too easy,” Loki said, “If we short-circuit every camera in our path, it would create a pattern. We need to hide in plain sight. That’s the key to staying well hidden.”

“Unless you’re being obvious,” Tony pointed out, “Loki, you’ve tried that one before.”

Loki’s nostrils flared in aggravation.

“Facial recognition software would be the culprit. Even just your eye, and you’re caught like that,” Tony said, snapping his fingers for emphasis.

I felt like a lightbulb went off in my head.

“So, if Thor’s hair was a different color, or your nose was slightly off, or Loki’s eyes were a different color, we could slip under S.H.I.E.L.D.’s radar?” I asked.

Tony shrugged.

“We’re going to need some kind of illusion. I heard you were the master of that, big fella,” Tony said, gesturing to Loki.

“Essentially, we must give the illusion that we are civilians,” Thor concluded.

Loki sniffed, trying not to laugh.

“Amazing. I believed you far too dense to piece that together, but yet, I was wrong,” Loki teased.

“Quiet,” Thor growled.

Loki smiled.

“But yes, Thor. That is the idea,” he said .

Tony eyed Loki up and down.

“Can you even look human?” he asked, “I mean, no offense. Can you look…normal?”

I smacked Loki lightly on the chest, changing his armor to a simple black t-shirt and jeans and tennis shoes. Tony’s eyebrows moved up mid-forehead, impressed.

“Well, it’s a start,” he said.

I looked up at Loki and grinned.

“Midgard oddly suits you, my dear,” I teased.

Loki rolled his eyes.

“Avery, my pet, you will find I can pull off most looks,” he said.

I burst out laughing.

“We’ll see about that,” I challenged.

Loki smirked. It was time to play dress-up with the God of Mischief.

***

“This just too funny,” Tony said, “Can I please take a picture.”

“No!” Loki snapped.

We were Tony’s living room, the smell of something cooking from the kitchen making us hungry, and with that hunger came irritation. Thor remained in good spirits, and Tony had been thoroughly amused, but Loki was far from happy.
In order to trick S.H.I.E.L.D., we had been working on disguises. Loki had suggested using magic on all of us to make us look different to everyone but each other, but only he had that power, and that was a lot of energy he could not afford to waste. Magic to change our appearance to all of us seemed to be our only option.

“Make him red-headed,” Tony teased.

Thor laughed.

“As red as Volstagg’s beard,” he added.

Loki snarled.

“I’d rather not,” he said.

My hands had been in his hair, pulling it around his face and trying to figure something out that would not change him too much, for Loki loved Loki. Don’t mess with the man’s look.

“I’m not going to change the color,” I said.

I ran my fingers through Loki’s black hair. His hair was a mess, but it was gorgeous. It felt like man hair, of course. Thick. Full. However, it was extremely silky. Never a tangle, and running fingers through the curly ends was the best possible pleasure.

“I think she just likes playing with your hair, brother,” Thor teased.

Loki rolled his eyes and glared up through his eyebrows at his older brother.

“Quiet, you oaf,” he said.

Thor grinned. I looked up at Thor and cheekily nuzzled my face in Loki’s hair. It even smelled fantastic! Thor laughed at me and shook my head.

“Has she turned you soft?” Thor teased.

Loki growled and tried to rip himself away from me.

“Thor, stop it. Loki, look at me,” I ordered.

Loki obeyed without hesitation. I fired a spell at his hair, causing it to momentarily blow backwards. When it fell, it was now a completely different texture. Messy, frizzy, and lazily maintained. Completely unlike Loki. It looked a little wild. I shortened some of it, that layered look as I pulled some of it forward to cover his forehead. When I was satisfied, I waved my hand over his mouth, causing stubble to grow. Loki hissed when I did this. He hated having facial hair, but it was for his own good. His hair already changed his looks dramatically.
I raised my hands.

“Close your eyes, darling,” I said.

Loki’s eyes fell closed. I lightly touched his eyelids. A light pink manifested around his eyes, giving him that dark, tired appearance. Loki always looked so alive and vibrant, so messing with his color and his complexion a little changed his appearance entirely.
I removed my hands. Loki opened his eyes, his normally blue irises now a deep, dark hazel color. Prominently green, but a hint of brown around the pupils. I felt my heart drop seeing them. They were not his eyes, but I had to disguise his eyes somehow.

“What’s wrong, love?” he asked.

I smiled and shook my head.

“Nothing’s wrong. I’m just going to miss those blue eyes,” I said.

Loki smiled and leaned over to kiss me.

“It’s still me, my darling,” he reminded me.

“Yeah, you just look like shit now,” Tony said, “No offense.”

“That was the goal, Tony,” I said, “They will expect him to change form completely, or they may think he’s stupid enough to remain in his everyday form. Now he looks like the common civilian.”

“He looks homeless,” Tony popped off.

“No, he looks older,” Thor said, “By a thousand years or so.”

Loki rolled his eyes. I smiled at him. I couldn’t disguise that one. That was a signature Loki reaction.
I placed my hands on his cheeks.

“He looks more like a rockstar to me,” I said lovingly, trying to make him feel better.

By the soft smile that appeared on his lips, I would say I was successful.

Tony stood and gestured to Thor.

“Let’s go see if Pepper needs any help,” he said.

Thor nodded and stood, following Tony like a puppy. Loki and I watched after them until they were out of hearing range.

“How do you think I should disguise myself?” I asked, “I was thinking maybe this.”

I ran my fingers through my hair and roughed it up until it became a short pixie cut, shaggy and messy to mirror Loki’s hair style. That shaggy, rocker look.

“Maybe fire engine red,” I said, turning my dark brown hair turning as red as blood, “Sharper nose.”

I tapped my nose, which transformed to something a bit different. Loki viciously grabbed my face, making me squeak as he caught me by surprise. He disabled the charms I had placed on myself and glared at me. I couldn’t read his expression. His eyes were wide, his jaw was set, and his forehead was slowly beginning to wrinkle as he narrowed his eyes at me. What had I done?

“I’ll place an enchantment on you. Don’t change your appearance,” he said strictly.

I let my shoulders fall and I looked down.

“I had to go years without you—without seeing you,” he said.

I watched him sadly. I knew what he meant.

“Okay,” I said softly.

Loki tucked his fingers under my chin and lift my head, forcing me to look at him. He gave me a pained smile and stroked my cheek.

“I just want to see you as you, my love,” he said.

I reached up and stroked his cheek, turning him back into the old Loki.

“Loki! Avery!”

Loki and I were broken from our trance and turning to see Tony in the doorway to the kitchen.

“Come eat before Thor gets it all,” he said.

Loki and I exchanged glances before getting up and joining them.

***

“Loki, darling, please be still,” I begged.

“I will not be still! This is ridiculous!” he argued.

I rolled my eyes. After dinner, Thor, Tony and Pepper, and Loki and I returned to the basement floor workshop so we could form a plan while we waited for Dr. Banner to arrive. Loki was going to perform illusion spells on us to disguise us, then perform a special one on Pepper to keep her safe as a thank-you to Tony for helping us escape arrest. At least, that’s what he told Tony. I liked to think he was doing it to be kind, but I knew Loki could care less about the woman.
While we waited for Banner, I sat Loki down and worked on my own enchantments, testing them on Loki to see what kind of disguises I could come up with. So far, they were fairly convincing. However, they were not easy when the person they were being placed on was grumpy. He didn’t like his looks being manipulated unless he was in control of it, and I knew touching his hair was a big no-no, but he never made me stop.

“Shut up,” I said, running my fingers through his jet black locks, trying to get his part right.

Loki obeyed, and sat there fuming until I was satisfied. When I was finished, Loki’s hair, which was usually perfect and silky, was a now a frizzy mane, shorter, the tips falling to his shoulders, with fringe falling over his forehead and covering his right eye. Then, I added a touch more color around his eyes and to the apexes of his cheekbones. I smiled at the finished product.

“What?” he asked, obviously not happy with me.

I grinned.

“You look like you belong in a mosh pit,” I said.

He furrowed his eyebrows, his now hazel eyes holding a mixture of confusion and offense. I shook my head and stroked his cheek.

“It’s part of a Midgardian concert’s audience,” I tried explain.

He slowly nodded, not quite understanding. I smiled at him.

“I feel…repulsive,” he said, reaching a hand up to feel his hair.

I laughed and kissed his cheek.

“You look fine,” I said, “I think I did a pretty good job, if I do say so.”

Loki gave me a small smile and grabbed my wrists.

“My turn!” he said wickedly.

I tried to pull away from him.

“No! I’ll turn you back!” I laughed.

“Do you not trust me, love?” he asked.

My eyes widened.

“In this situation, no!” I replied.

Loki laughed and pounced me. As soon as he had me pinned to the leather couch, the door up the stairs opened and Pepper came down the stairs with a man behind her. I recognized him as Dr. Banner, and my heart rate picked up, fearing whatever news he might have.

“Tony, I really insist I go with you guys,” Pepper said.

“Miss Potts, I really don’t think that’s a good idea,” Banner said.

Tony stood and walked over to them, followed by Thor. Loki scrambled off of me and offered his hand, helping me up to follow them. We gathered around Banner, impatiently waiting to hear what he had to say.

“What’s the verdict? Are we in big trouble?” Tony asked.

Banner laughed a humorless chuckle.

“You could say that. I bought us some time, but we need to wait until we flee. Just stay low for now. Early tomorrow morning should be a safe time to leave. I know of a place we can hide until—“

Banner stopped when his eyes fell upon Loki. His face went from calm and collected to thoroughly and hopelessly confused.

“What happened to you?” he asked Loki.

Loki’s eyes widened when he realized I had not removed the enchantments to change his appearance. I quickly touched him, turning him back into the old Loki.

“We were working with disguises,” I said quickly.

Banner looked uneasy, but continued without question.

“As I was saying, I know of a place we can hide until we know of a plan,” he finished.

We nodded.

“Okay, Loki said he can disguise us so we won’t get caught. In the meantime, we need to find out where those demons came from.”

We nodded again.

“Let’s form a battle plan,” said Thor.

With that, we gathered around Tony’s desk, tapping into databases and public security cameras, searching for any signs of the origins of the demons.

***

Loki woke up, his pupils quickly adjusting to the bright white light of his cell. He heard prisoners in an uproar, and when a guard appeared at his cell, he knew something was off. The guard watched him for a moment. Suddenly, the golden magic sealing him in faded, and the glass disappeared. Loki narrowed his eyes at the guard.

“The Dark Elves are closing in on the Queen. You are the only one that can save her and the mortal woman she is protecting,” he said.

Loki didn’t hesitate. He summoned his armor to his body and jumped out of his cell, running down the stone aisle and out the door. He ignored cries of fear and shouts from guards who had not been informed of his release as he bolted down corridor after corridor. He had a keen sense of magic, and could pick up on magical beings within several yards of his position. The only magical being in Asgard that he could sense without fault was Frigga, and he used this sense to track her down. When he picked up on her magical signature, he pumped his legs as hard as he could, and let no one get in his way as he flew up a set of stairs and down to a room at the end of the corridor. However, his path was blocked by a fleet of guards. They only had to look at him once before the charged him. Loki ran to an open window, knowing just beside it was the balcony to the room. We could swing in and save his mother.
Loki dove out of the window and leapt over to the balcony. Inside was empty, save for a body laying in the floor. He didn’t have to look at the face to know it was the body of his mother. Sensing no traps of any kind, Loki ran in and collapsed to his knees in the pool of his mother’s life slowly seeping out of her. Loki reached shaky hands down and moved Frigga’s head, cupping her cheeks in his hands.

“Mother, no,” he whispered.

But it was so. The Queen, his mother, was gone. Loki let out an angry cry and gathered her body in his arms, sobbing loudly and not caring who heard or saw. He was too late. It was his fault. He could have saved her, but he was not fast enough.
Loki held her and cried his heart out until he heard the sound of Odin’s voice coming from down the hall. Loki quickly kissed Frigga’s forehead.

“Rest peacefully, Mother,” he whispered.

He carefully place the body back down and fled, teleporting himself to the countryside of Asgard, where he collapsed in a heap and screamed his fury and sorrow loud enough to cause earthquakes on Midgard. He cursed fate, Odin, and anyone else he could think of before succumbing to a shaky wreck in the grass.

“Loki, my son,” a female voice spoke.

Loki sprung into the air like a spooked cat.

“Who is there? Who spoke?” he asked, seeing no one, “I demand you show yourself!”

“Loki,” the voice spoke.

Loki’s world immediately changed to a dark bedroom. City lights shown through the windows, and Loki suddenly remembered he was in Tony Stark’s home in California. However, the misty figure resembling a woman in the corner had not been there when he went to bed.

“Mother?” he asked.

The figure stepped forward, becoming clear.

“I’ve always hated seeing my sweet child cry,” she said in a soft voice—one Loki had gone too long without hearing.

He jumped out of bed and ran up to her.

“How is it you’re standing before me?” he asked lowly, as to not wake the others.

“Death is not the end, my son. I am here in spirit form,” she said.

Loki’s eyes watered.

“It’s really you?” he asked.

She smiled and nodded. Tears ran down Loki’s cheeks.

“Mother, I’m so sorry for our last conversation. You are my mother. I failed to understand that then,” he said.

Frigga smiled kindly, tears in her white and gray eyes as she stroked Loki’s cheek. Static ran up Loki’s cheek, causing him to momentarily go numb.

“I know, my dear,” she whispered.

Loki sniffed as she removed her hand.

“I could have kept you safe,” he whispered to her.

Frigga smiled sadly and shook her head.

“Loki, do not blame yourself for my death. It was my time. Things will fall into place now,” she said.

Loki shook his head in disbelief.

“Mother, how can you say that when things are falling apart?” he asked.

“Fate has great things in store for you, my son. You live, yes?”

Loki nodded.

“You are king, and Thor is on your side, yes?”

He nodded again.

“And do not forget Avery. You follow your heart, sweet child. Fight for what you love. Your home, your family, the woman you love. Do not chase desires.”

Loki swallowed.

“Of course, Mother,” he said, “I will fight in honor of you as well.”

Frigga smiled.

“I knew being King would put your life in perspective for you. You have made me proud, Loki,” she said.

Loki smiled.

“Thank-you, Mother. I love you,” he said.

A tear slid down Frigga’s ghostly face.

“I love you, too, my darling.”

Loki bit his lip, fighting to keep from losing his composure. Frigga smiled at him, before dissolving. Loki blinked and she was gone. It was then he let it go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas and Happy Hump Day! Here's a present!