Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

Heart

“You seem worried, my dear,” Frigga said, her soft voice echoing off the high ceiling of the balcony.

Odin, King of Asgard, turned to his his wife approaching.

“I do not worry,” he said, masking his uncertainty.

“If it is Thor you fret for, I would fear not,” Frigga said as she stood beside the All Father, “He is in good company. If he fails, one of another will rescue him. Loki is right by his side.”

“They know not of what they are up against!” Odin spat, “This is not practice for war!”

“My dear King, you must keep faith in them. Two of them are our sons. They have learned all they know from you and I.”

The Queen place a hand on Odin’s forearm in an attempt to soothe him.

“They will want to end the fight hastily and be home. Avery is returning this night,” she went on.

Odin growled.

“So the next battle, Loki will have his head in the clouds and get himself or another killed?” he snapped.

Frigga scoffed as Odin turned and marched away.

“She has been nothing but a godsend for Loki! If it is courting you fear, you know both are far too shy. They will not make a stupid mistake,” she argued.

“Was one not enough to bring into this family?” Odin asked.

Frigga looked offended.

“I love her as my own, but there was no adoption. She knows she’s a visitor who is always welcome. I would not lie to her,”

Odin halted and spun around to his wife. Would she dare spill the secret he had been harboring to their youngest son?

“He is our son,” Odin said, “and I still have intentions of uniting with Jotunheim and bringing peace with the Frost Giants once and for all. Loki should never be informed of his origins.”

“I do not intend on telling a soul, my King. I love Loki just as much as Thor—even Avery. They are closely bonded. Loki cares for her and loves her, and it is not outlandish he would worry. He would not let his thoughts stray and compromise a successful battle. She is far from a negative influence. Why do you feel such contempt?”

Odin snorted.

“I will discuss this no further,” he said with a flourish of his hand.

In the distance, a beam of light shot down to the Observatory, noting the arrival of either their warriors, or Avery returning from her long vacation to Earth. Frigga smiled at the distraction.

“On the contrary, my dear,” she said, her words going unheard by the king.

***

“Avery, darling!”

I smiled and ran up to Frigga, then, remembering where I was, I slowed and walked up calmly to her open arms.

“Hi!” I said cheerfully.

Frigga hugged me with gently arms. We were standing in the large, open foyer of the palace. The area was quiet, but warm with a gentle breeze seeming to come from nowhere.

“We have missed you, Avery. How was your stay on Midgard?” she asked.

I smiled.

“Oh, it was…eventful,” I said.

Frigga smiled.

“Well, I’m sure you want to settle in. The boys have gone a mission for Odin, but I expect them home soon. In fact…”

Down the hall, I heard the booming voice of Volstagg, followed by Thor’s laugh.

“I could have had him!” the feminine voice of Sif echoed.

I smirked.

“That would be them. Your chambers have been prepared. I will have a servant take your things for you,” she said.

I smiled at Frigga.

“Thank-you,” I said.

Frigga returned the smile.

“Run along, dear. They’re heading outside,” she said.

I thanked her once more before leaving my bags with a servant and chasing after my friends. It had been quite a long time for since I had seen Thor and Loki, Sif, and the Warrior’s Three, as Fandral, Volstagg and Hogun were calling themselves. Every few years, I would vacation to Earth just to see how things have changed. Sometimes I would return within two years or so. This last time had been three. However, I missed Asgard every day. I knew the next time, it may only be one.

“I must agree,” I heard Fandral speak, his voice echoing throughout the gardens they were strolling through, “That was not a favorable move, Loki.”

I walked out of an archway and into the garden, keeping my distance as I listened to them.

“It was not intended to be unfavorable,” Loki replied, his voice smooth and slightly deeper than I remembered.

Even from a distance, I could tell that they all had matured while I had been gone. Thor was a lot bigger, and his blonde hair was significantly longer. Sif’s was also a bit longer. Fandral had a new do, and Volstagg—-well, he still looked like a big Viking with long, wavy red hair and matching beard. Loki was sporting his hair combed back, but it suited him. An adult style for an aspiring king.

“It was a mere accident. A slip of the hand,” Thor said in his brother’s defense.

“Please!” Sif argued, “Daggers are one thing when you know how to use them. What I do not understand is why you insisted upon attacking him when I was right behind him!”

“I was only trying to help,” Loki replied.

Sif snorted.

“Leave your magic out of battle,” she said coldly.

I moved closer.

“My magic helped save your life!” Loki bit back.

I moved my feet faster.

“Why don’t we head to the dining hall and share our victory with everyone?” Thor stepped in before things could get hairy.

Sif angrily approached Loki. I quickly cast a stealth charm over myself as to not be seen.

“You ruined a perfect kill!” she cried.

“Is that all you care about is killing?” Loki snapped.

“Brother! Sif!” Thor laughed nervously.

I moved behind Loki.

“I care about winning a battle for Asgard. Not showing off!” she argued.

“I was not!” Loki snapped, “It was a spell that accidentally ricocheted across a boulder.”

“That could have hit me!” she snarled, “What happened to your oh-so-fabulous precision?”

“Like you’re so perfect!” he snapped.

“We all have our faults,” Thor spoke up, “Now—“

“At least I can aim!”

I closed my eyes and focused on every inch of my body, then used a spell of transportation that Loki had taught me, teleporting myself from behind Loki, to between him and Sif and showing myself.

“I’ve heard just about enough,” I stated, staring at Sif with my hands on my hips.

Really, I was in no position to talk down to her, nor anyone in Asgard. I was a guest, and anyone could easily tell me that I had worn out my welcome, so being so bold as to scold the Goddess of War was asking for it. However, I could not keep myself from defending Loki. He was my best friend, and no one messes with him without me getting in the middle of it. However, there was a time Thor had accidentally teased her to the point of tears, and I tried to be there for her. She had thanked me for my consideration, and when I told Thor, he made amends with his friend. She had changed since then, though.
Sif blinked at me, disbelieving what she saw and cleared her throat.

“Uh, um, A-Avery,” she stammered.

“Avery!” Thor said cheerfully.

The thunder god cheerfully tossed a heavy arm over my shoulders.

“It’s so good to see you! It’s been far too long,” he said.

I smiled at him, but I felt Loki tense up from behind me. I discreetly reached an arm behind my back and held out my hand. Loki took it.

“It has,” I agreed.

I turned back to Sif.

“If Loki claims it was an accident, it was an accident. Now, I don’t know what happened, and I’m truly sorry if anyone was hurt,” I began.

“All are well, Avery. No worries,” Thor assured me.

“Good,” I replied, “I just don’t appreciate you insulting Loki.”

“But,” Sif began to argue.

“I don’t appreciate anyone arguing,” I said, looking to Loki over my shoulder.

Loki kept his head down.

“You were not there, Avery,” Sif argued.

“Does that really matter?” I asked, “I don’t appreciate your attitude, and if you talk down on Loki again, you will be taking it up with me.”

Sif gritted her teeth.

“Fine,” she said, then turned sharply on her heel and marched off.

Thor looked from Sif to Loki and I.

“I will speak with her. Sif may be angry, but she is reasonable,” he said.

I nodded.

“We will meet later and have fun. For now, we will leave you two. Come, friends,” he said to the remaining warriors.

The Warrior’s Three smiled at me and patted me on the shoulder before following Thor back towards the palace. It was then I turned to Loki. He was looking after them.

“She could have had your jugular severed in a split second,” he warned me.

I smiled up at him.

“I’m not scared of her,” I said.

Loki smiled.

“Thank-you,” he said quietly.

I reached up and hugged him.

“You’re welcome,” I replied.

Loki gave me a light squeeze before releasing me.

“It has indeed been far too long. I’ve missed you, Ave,” he confessed.

I grinned and tried to hide my blush.

“I’ve missed you too, Loki,” I admitted.

Loki hugged me again.

“Will it be short before you venture off again?” he asked curiously.

I smiled at him.

“I’m not leaving for a long time,” I said.

Loki seemed pleased with that. I reached up and touched his cheek. He had bags under his eyes, and his eyelids were heavy.

“Let’s go in so you can rest. You look exhausted.”

“I am,” he agreed.

I smirked and tugged his arm.

“Let’s go in. We have catching up to do,” I said.

Loki eagerly followed me inside and we disappeared to his chambers. His chambers were much more luxurious than mine, but by Midgardian standards, mine outdid most five star hotels. Loki’s, and I imagine the rest of the family’s, chamber was over the top. His floors were dark marble, with gold columns towering into the gold ceiling. Scones and a massive chandelier illuminated the space. He had a large, tall four poster bed with green and black sheets made of Asgard’s finest satin. A fireplace sat on the far side of the room near the door to his bathroom, which was back to back with Thor’s. He had bookshelves next to the fireplace, stocked to the brim with his favorite books. I read one while Loki bathed.

“Did you have fun on Midgard?” he asked, walking out of the bathroom in a robe as he towel-dried his shiny black hair.

“I was very entertained, if that’s what you mean. It still isn’t a good time to live there. Too many wars. Idiots left and right. No order,” I replied.

Loki smirked and disappeared into the bathroom.

“Sounds like they need to be ruled like we are on Asgard,” he said.

I cut my eyes towards the bathroom.

“Monarchies do not go over well there. As an American, I prefer democracy,” I replied, my eyes looking over a very detailed illustration of Valhalla.

Loki returned from the bathroom, now wearing a green tunic and black pants. His feet remained bare. He strode over to the bed where I was perched. He jumped in it and rolled next to me.

“Maybe that’s what we need here. That way the people of Asgard will know they have a choice between brawn and brains,” he said bitterly, referring to the impending coronation ceremony, where Odin would announce the would-be king.

I playfully nudged Loki’s shoulder and shut the book.

“Would you let it go? You’re going to make yourself a bitter old man one day,” I teased.

Loki snorted.

“Rubbish.”

I leaned down to his ear.

“Then, be happy,” I said softly.

Loki smirked at me and gently pushed me over.

“I am happy. Now that you’ve returned,” he said.

I crawled onto my belly beside him. Loki pulled the book I was reading towards him and hugged his arm.

“Sounds like you needed me,” I said.

Loki stiffened. I looked up warily to see his eyebrows furrowed in thought and pain written across his features.

“I did,” he replied cooly.

I sighed and rested my cheek on his shoulder.

“Why didn’t you come find me if I was needed?” I asked.

“I wasn’t going to ruin your vacation. Sometimes, especially on days like this, I would need an outside friend to talk to. That was all,” he replied.

“Vacations mean nothing when friendship is involved,” I told him.

Loki sighed and closed the book with a soft snap of the cover. I hugged his arm tighter.

“Maybe we both need a vacation,” I murmured.

Loki chuckled.

“If only I could leave. Any second, Thor will have waged another battle and have me by the arm. I can only imagine why. My magic doesn’t belong on the battlefield!”

“Stop it. You are just as powerful as they are. You don’t need muscle for something as delicate as magic,” I said.

Even though, just by feeling his arm as I hugged, it felt bigger.

“Do you make weakness of me, Ave?” he asked, a lighter tone in his words.

“Far from it,” I replied.

Loki turned to me and smirked. That damn smirk.

“If I am not mistaken, it would seem as if you hold an incredibly high admiration for me,” he said, his voice smoother than ever.

I snorted and rolled onto my back.

“Please!” I retorted.

“Am I wrong?” he asked.

I smirked at him. Since my last visit to Asgard, he had started in on this—teasing me every time I gave him a compliment. He was trying to trick me into say something. Something he wanted to hear, so he could laugh at me for it later. However, I knew Loki’s tricks well, and it was he who taught me how to deceive and manipulate the mind. I could mask it, but my insides made it harder and hard with each passing year to ignore the fact that I was developing, what the Midgardians call, a crush. Dare I show the slightest interest in him, and I would hear about it for the rest of my life.
I eyed him before looking up at the canopy above.

“Why is it that all men, whether human or god, need their ego hand fed?” I mused.

Loki snorted and rolled onto his side to face me.

“It is just nice to hear from someone I know without a doubt cares,” he spoke, his playfulness out the window.

I frowned at him. I then rolled over to face him. Loki’s eyes closed, his exhaustion finally taking over. I pulled him to me and lightly ran my fingers through his damp hair. Whatever he had been through during my absence, I was going to make sure he overcome.


***

The Observatory spun, like the most complicated of clocks, and Thor appeared before Heimdall. When the gate keeper set his eyes upon him, his smile could not be contained.

“Does your armor suit you ill?” he asked.

Thor looked down at his clothing. A simple black t-shirt and a pair of jeans and tennis shoes. They quickly disappeared, his armor in place of his Midgardian dress.

“I was in too much of a hurry,” Thor said, “What is this emergency?”

“It may have something to do with the king found in Jotunheim,” Heimdall said.

Thor gritted his teeth, fearing the worst.

“Where is Loki?” he asked, demanding.

Heimdall refrained from smirking.

“The king is currently burning a track in the throne room floor,” he said.

Thor nodded.

“Thank-you, good Heimdall,” he said, then spun Mjolnir and flew off to the palace.

At the doors, he was greeted by guards before he stormed the palace, in search of the king. He found Loki indeed pacing the floor in front of the throne. Thor was surprised that the damage the Dark Elves had caused was still evident.

“Will this room remain in disrepair?” Thor asked.

Loki stopped dead and looked up at Thor.

“I have plans for repairs. What took you so long?” Loki asked, irritated.

Thor’s eyebrows knitted together.

“I have only just arrived, brother,” he replied, the dread “b-word” coming out automatically.

Loki glared at him darkly, but the matters at hand saved Thor from a thorough lecture.

“It is morning. I sent after you last night!” Loki said.

“You must believe me. I left as soon as I received word,” Thor replied innocently.

Loki gritted his teeth. He find which messenger they used and he would fire him at once.

“What is this emergency?” Thor asked.

Loki looked from Thor to his guards.

“You are released from your duties for now. Go enjoy breakfast,” he said to them.

They bowed and turned to leave. Once out of sight, Loki gestured for Thor to follow him. Thor quickly fell into step with the younger man, and they marched down the halls without a word. The silence was quickly broken by Thor.

“What is the meaning of this, Loki? Heimdall said you found something on your journey to Jotunheim,” he said.

“I did,” Loki confirmed.

“What were you doing there?” Thor asked.

“I was searching for this,” he replied.

Loki produced the crystal he had retrieved out of a hidden pocket within his armor.

“For repairing the palace? I’m sure you could have had all of the best architects within the Nine Realms fix it for you in no time. Why magic?” Thor asked.

Loki replaced the crystal.

“I just wanted to do it myself,” he begrudgingly admitted to Thor.

He would not vocalize it, but Loki wanted to prove that magic did have its place.

“And had I not gone to Jotunheim, I would have had worse horrors to face,” he said.

Loki looked away from Thor and swallowed hard. The thought of losing Avery made him want to vomit.

“What happened, brother?” Thor asked.

Loki gestured with a tilt of his head for Thor to follow him. They walked through the halls of the palace and up several staircases to the floor where Avery’s chambers lay.

“Our dear Avery has returned,” Loki spoke.

Thor halted and stared at Loki in shock.

“How?” he asked.

“I found her in Jotunheim, bleeding and dying from an attack by a few Frost Giants,” Loki explained.

“How did she end up in Jotunheim?” Thor asked, concerned.

“I know not,” Loki replied, “Yet had I not found searched for the crystal, she would be dead.”

“What happened to her? Was she touched? I know of a salve to heal—“

“She was stabbed,” Loki interrupted him, “by a blade riddled with disease. She is healing well, now, but I fear the Frost Giants are planning something.”

“Disease?” Thor asked, “The Frost Giants are not known to use disease to fight.”

“It could have been anything,” Loki said.

Thor saw the worry in Loki’s eyes, and he sympathized.

“Do you know of any portals on Midgard that create a wormhole to Jotunheim?” Loki asked.

Thor was befuddled by the sudden question.

“I would have tried to close it, had I known,” he replied, “You don’t think Avery fell through a portal?”

“That’s how she explained it to me. I thought you may know, what with your mortal being of cosmic science.”

“Jane has not spoken of any disturbances. Trust me. She knows the mere second something is awry,” Thor replied.

Loki sighed heavily. Thor smiled knowingly at Loki.

“I will help you, brother. I know how vast your love is for her,” he said.

Loki cut his eyes at the man he grew up with.

“I’m sure she was quite…happy to see you after knowing of your crimes,” Thor said sarcastically.

Loki’s lip curled.

“She was upset, but I betrayed her. She no longer trusts me.”

“I assure you, you will gain it again,” Thor said confidently, “As you did mine.”

Loki chewed the inside of his cheek. He did not like the sentiments being shared.

“Avery will come around, and when she does, she will be a great addition alongside us,” he went on.

Loki did not reply.

“If you don’t mind now, I would like to visit with Sif and the Warrior’s Three. They may have some information. When Avery wakes, let her know that I would like to say hello.”

Loki nodded.

“I will see to it that you have a chance to speak with her,” he said.

Thor smiled, then timidly bowed to Loki before vanishing to find his friends. Loki then turned on his heel and disappeared.

***
It took me several hours before I finally settled and went to sleep. I laid awake, staring at the ancient gold ceiling as I had done so many times during my stays in Asgard. The ceiling was like that of the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City on Midgard. However, the murals in this grand palace consisted of Gods and Goddess from before Odin’s time, to the present day. Some of which I recognized, for in Wiccan culture, we chose Gods and Goddesses to worship from Nordic, Greek, and Roman religions. The Midgardians had previously called in mythology, until Thor arrived.
I had walked out onto the balcony that overlooked the most beautiful kingdom in the Nine Realms. Natural light from fire and magic illuminated the vast land, and the country, mountains, and ocean was illuminated softly by the most beautiful of stars. Clouds lightly floated below the two visible planets that faintly hovered above like a Midgardian full moon. It was such a vast change from my previous living arrangements, and I could not believe how lucky I was to be standing on the balcony—alive.
I closed my eyes as I thought about Earth. Living in shady neighborhoods where you have to walk with a stick or a pocket knife. Oh, I remembered it all vividly, and the horrors I faced there would never be shaken. I remembered falling down to Earth, right in the middle of a sketchy part of Los Angeles, California. I remembered running for my life. I remembered the comments men slung at me, their spit, the beatings and other forms of physical abuse. Abusing myself in depression and to make a living. I remember one night I was walking to my apartment, and noticed some men following me. It was quite the walk to my apartment building, so I hailed a cab. I walked to and from work, which was a shit waitressing job, every day. I had gotten off late, and made the mistake of not asking someone for a ride. I was turning a corner when I noticed a few men in my footsteps. I quickly hailed a cab and rode home. Right as I stepped out and paid the cab driver, the men grabbed me, kidnapped me, and I was missing from the world for a year. They kept me locked away in a room in their shabby home in the trashiest part of Los Angeles. They beat me. Used me. I remember lying on the floor, dreaming that Thor or Loki would rescue me.
When I was finally, free I moved to the country and got a decent job at a mom and pop store. I had my life together for two years before “falling down the rabbit hole” and landing on Jotunheim. Perhaps being attacked by the Frost Giants was a blessing. I still remembered all that pain. The hurt from being torn from Asgard. The suffering I went through in Los Angeles. The hurt I felt when I heard it was Loki how was causing the terrorist attacks. I could not swallow that I was back, everyone on loved on Asgard was okay, and Loki had finally taken over as ruler. How I wished he had found me a lot sooner.
I sat in a sort of patio chair and curled up in it. How things work in these worlds. I dreamed of returning to Asgard. I dreamed of running into Loki on the street and being swept back home. Those nights I lay defiled on a cold, concrete floor, he would randomly appear from no where, as he was so famous for, and hold me as I cried. I knew he would have never treated me like that, nor would any man on Asgard. Women were respected here. Rape was not in their vocabulary. Midgard may be my home, but I hated it with a passion.
I rolled onto my side and relieved my tension by letting out a sob. How good it felt to be in a place where I was wanted. To be where I would be protected. Loved. It was a dream come true, and I resented Odin for banishing me and sending me to the life of the worthless on Midgard.

“Thank-you, Loki,” I whispered.

I cried it out, feeling better with each pained cry. It felt so good to let it all out. When I went to bed, I slept like a rock.

The sun made my room shine, and I had forgotten how pleasant Asgardian mornings were. The sun did not shine in to my room to blind me, the smell of the outdoors floated throughout the room, as well as a soft, cool breeze. It was quite a change from Earth mornings, but they were missed all the same.
I woke up feeling sore and weak, like I had a bad cold. My nose felt cruddy, my throat hurt, and I felt like my feet and hands were made out of lead. I decided to take a hot shower to relieve my pain and congestion, as well as clean myself.
Once clean, I was drying myself when I noticed a pink scar on my side. I suddenly remembered the pain and sickening heat spread through me. Red eyes in my face, further confusing me and scaring me. I begged for death as I bled out in the snow. The infection overtook me, and I had no idea Loki had been there at all. I remembered nothing, and now here I was. Loki had saved my life. I owed him so much. It meant I still meant something to him. He was not the pure evil the television had claimed him to be.
I dressed myself and walked out the door, only to be startled by a figure on my bed.

“Shit!” I hissed.

Loki slowly looked up at me and smirked.

“Good morning,” he said lowly, grinning.

I swallowed hard as I looked over him. He had grown so much in the years on my banishment. His hair fell passed his shoulders, and though still the mischief maker he used to be, there was an intoxicating darkness set behind it. His eyes were soft and his smile was friendly as he looked at me, but there was still wicked residue he had yet to shake, and it seemed to become him. It added a new layer to him, but deep down, he was still a good soul who only wanted to make amends. Wipe out the overwhelming amount of red.

“You’ve always had that ‘great entrance’ thing down,” I said.

Loki smiled and moved off of my bed.

“Did you sleep well?” he asked.

I watched him nervously as he approached.

“Erm, yeah,” I replied.

I looked down and nervously scratched the back of my neck.

“You seem uneasy, Avery,” he observed.

I timidly looked up at him, feeling cornered under his gaze. Loki leaned down and gently took my jaw with his fingertips and tilted my head up. I felt ashamed as I looked up.

“I will not hurt you,” he said softly.

I bit my lip. Why did he always turn me into a weak, pathetic mess?

“I know,” I whispered.

Loki sighed and pulled me into a hug.

“I will prove myself to you, Avery. The last thing I ever wanted was to scare you away,” he said.

I clutched on to him.

“I have no fear of you. I don’t know what to think or feel right now. Everything’s been such a blur. To top it off, I think I have a cold.”

Loki chuckled and pulled back.

“I’ll have you a tonic made just for that. You will be well within hours,” he said.

I smiled.

“Oh, Asgardian medicine,” I said thoughtfully.

Loki grinned.

“Are you hungry?” he asked.

I nodded.

“Come. You can join me for breakfast. I usually do not attend morning breakfast in the dining hall with the others,” he said.

I tilted my head to the side. Loki exhaled softly, noting my confusion.

“I simply prefer the privacy. Come,” he said.

Without another word, I allowed Loki to escort me out of my chambers and to his private balcony for breakfast. Loki walked up to a servant who had set a breakfast feast large enough for a family of eight on a circular table of marble. Oh, how I missed Asgardian food. Real meats and diary products, healthy, delicious fruits and vegetables, and different breads and sweets. Really any amazing delicacy you could ask for was on this table.
Loki walked up to a chair and pulled it out for me. I smiled at the gentlemanly gesture and sat down.

“Thank-you,” I said.

“”You’re very welcome,” he replied as he took his seat across from me.

I had forgotten how mannerly the Asgardians were.

As we ate, I felt uncomfortable at first. However, Loki sensed my unease and began popping off things that had me laughing. I, in turn, popped off right back. It felt good to joke with him again. It was nice to see a genuine smile on his face. It lit up his features, most notably his eyes. Blue, like his brother’s, though they were not related by blood. It didn’t matter to me, but it pulled off the illusion—the lie. Occasionally, like most blue eyes, they turned to gray, or darkened to cerulean. Often, they would gloss over green. Sometimes they variant of colors were undistinguishable, but they never failed to keep my attention.

“Thor arrived this morning,” Loki announced.

I nearly choked on my…donut thing. I wasn’t sure what it was, but it was delicious. Loki shook his head and smiled at me.

“Always too much down the throat,” he teased.

I swallowed and took a drink of my tea, which Loki had had my tonic for my cold symptoms hidden in. It was tasteless, thankfully. All I tasted was sweet, herbal tea with a tart berry flavor.

“What is Thor doing here?” I asked, ignoring his comment.

“I summoned him here,” he replied, slicing into his food, “I fear the Jotuns are up to something, and with his connection on Earth, I thought he would be a useful asset.”

I stabbed at a few pieces of potato and my eyes darted up to him.

“Don’t you dare trick him, Loki,” I warned him.

Loki froze, glaring at me with a clenched jaw before he set his knife down with an angry thud.

“You think me so low as to mislead Thor?” he questioned.

I looked down, feeling ashamed of myself once again. I didn’t know who he was anymore. The trickster who loved his brother, or the demon who would betray him.
Loki sighed.

“Your image of me really has been manipulated,” he said.

I shyly glanced up at him before looking away. The hurt in his eyes killed me.

“Loki, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that. I just…I guess…”

I couldn’t think of a good excuse that wouldn’t lead me to explain what happened to me on Earth, so I gave up. Loki watched me with sympathy in his eyes. He reached over and took my hand. My heart leapt into my throat and my breathing faltered. I closed my eyes and quickly cleared my thoughts. I was letting my feelings get the best of me. I was letting my weak side show, and I knew better.
Loki watched me worriedly as I composed myself. I never hid things from him, as he never hid things from me. There were no illusions between us—no lies. He knew me better than anyone, and he could tell there was something wrong with me. I could feel that he could sense it, if that isn’t completely confusing.

“I shouldn’t have said that to you. I just…I’m so lucky and so blessed to still be alive, and then I just haul off and talk down to you. I mean, for one, you’re a king and I should have a little bit more respect for you than that, and two, you mean to redeem yourself and I’m not even giving you the chance!”

Loki gave my hand a squeeze.

“I cannot blame you. From what you know and what you have seen, I cannot imagine the toll that has taken on your mind. But, Avery, it has been a long time since we’ve been able to talk,” he said.

I nodded in agreement.

“Too long.”

Loki gave me a small, sincere smile. At the door, a guard approached and bowed. Loki and I looked over to him.

“Sire, you are requested at the throne,” he spoke.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Rude,” I mumbled.

Loki smiled.

“Thank-you,” he said to the guard.

He then turned back to me.

“They still think me a prince,” he said, “They can wait until we’re finished eating.”

I laughed.

“They have no respect for their king,” I said.

That made Loki’s ego explode. I frowned.

“I guess I don’t either,” I said.

“Ave, I hereby declare you exempt from the niceties. You are my equal,” he said.

I smiled and tried to hide my blush as I thanked him. He caught it immediately.

“Loki, don’t keep them waiting. Go ahead and tend to your duties. I’ll just find Thor and meet you later,” I said with a shrug.

Loki wiped his mouth.

“I’m stuffed, anyway,” I went on.

He smiled and stood, holding his hand for me to take. It was quite charming.

“The servants will clear the table. If you need me at all, do no hesitate to ask a guard. Even if I’m in an argument, I will excuse myself,” he said.

“You don’t have to-“

“No, no, Avery. None of that. As far as I’m concerned, you are my number one priority at the moment,” he said.

That sickeningly sweet fuzzy feeling manifested in my chest and stomach.

“Besides,” he said, then stepped up to me, “Aren’t friends the most important?”

I gave him a shy smiled. Loki took my chin in his fingertips and softly kissed my forehead, sending an overwhelming amount of emotions of me.

“Guard,” he commanded.

A guard from inside quickly ran up to us and bowed.

“Yes, my King?”

“Take Avery to Thor. She has permission to roam where she likes, and if she requests me when I am busy, do not deny her. Understood?” Loki said, power in his words.

The guard nodded once. The emotions did not cease. It had been so long since I had been treated with any ounce of respect from a man. From anyone! Loki and I, as teenagers into adulthood, had always teased and gave each other crap. We played like kids. To see him so matured, and to feel like I was important to him, it moved me. Scratch that. I was important to him. Oddly, that was important to me.
Loki turned to me and smiled as he bowed before spinning away to take his position on the throne.

“Thor is dining with the others in the dining hall, my lady,” the guard said, “Do you wish to go now, or wait until they are finished with their meal?”

I watched Loki until he disappeared.

“Um, if it’s the same to you, I’ve lived here since I was 16 years old. I think I can find my way on my own,” I said, trying not to be rude.

“But, my lady, the king requested I escort you,” he argued.

I waved a hand in front of my face, a white mist crossing his face.

“Guard my king, won’t you?” I asked darkly.

He bowed.

“Yes, my lady,” he said, then took off after Loki.

I smirked. This world forgets all I’ve done for Loki. Shielded him. Took swings for him. Anything to protect him, I did it. He was my best friend, and I loved him more than any other person in all of the Nine Realms. I would continue to see that he was looked after. He still had heart. Some part of him, though he may be a god, was human. For this wonderful king, I would make sure that heart kept beating.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Please comment and subscribe!