Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Thirty Five

-Maggie-
I stood with the guys around me on the eyes; we were all trying to catch our breath after hours of practicing for the All Star games that was going to be held in two days. Coach seemed to like Toews, Kane and I on one line, and I would have to agree, surprisingly we all worked perfectly together. It was funny how the three of us seemed to pinpoint where we were going to go on the ice.

Marc was on one side of the ice while Tim Thomas was on the other. Coach was in the middle, he wanted us to work on our face offs. Shea Weber and Keith Yandle were to pose as our defensemen as our line played against, Steven Stamkos, Daniel Briere, Loui Eriksson, Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien.

Toews faced off against Stamkos and I was next to Eriksson to fight for the puck as it came our way. He snatched it up and headed for Marc, but I pushed into the ice and bent down low, I caught up to him and quickly turned in front of him, stealing the puck off of him and heading for Thomas. The puck was passed between, Toews, Yandle and Weber. Kane and I caught up and Weber passed the puck to Kane, Briere was coming at him, so Kane dropped the puck off and tricked Briere into thinking that he had it, while I picked the puck up and did a slap shot towards the net, smiling brightly when it hit the back of it.

“Nicely done,” Coach said as he looked at us, “That’s all for today, head for the showers.”

I breathed a sigh of relief and head for the door, wanting to get off the ice because I was starving. Toews came up next to me and smirked, “Nicely done.”

“Thanks,” I said and stepped off the ice.

“We work well together,” he said and I nodded my head and turned back to see a smiling Kane.

“Not bad for a Penguin,” Kane said and I smirked and rolled my eyes.

“Not bad for a Hawk,” I said and walked into the locker room.

“We did win the cup last season,” he said and I sighed.

“Yeah, don’t remind me,” I muttered as I walked over towards my stall, remembering that depressing fact.

We all showered and headed for the bus. I sat down next to the window and was waiting for Marc to sit next to me, but was surprised to find that Kane stole his seat. I looked at him confused and saw Duncan Keith and Toews sit behind me.

“Do I want to know?”

“We’re heading for some food when we get back, you wanna come?” Toews asked and I laughed a little.

“That the reason you stole Flower’s seat?” I asked and smirked and nudged my head to see Marc leaning against the seat in front of us, waiting for Kane to move.

“So will you?” Kane asked and I looked at Marc.

“Is today the day that Kris’ practice is till like nine?” I asked and Marc nodded his head. I nodded my head and looked towards the three Hawks, “Sure.”

“All right,” Kane said and I nudged my head, telling him that he needed to give Marc’s seat back, “My bad.”

“Uh huh,” Marc said and I giggled and sat back against my seat as I watched Marc plop down next to me and give me a looked.

“What?”

“Nothing,” he said and I rolled my eyes.

“You’re going out with Vero,” I said and he sighed.

“You could have come with us,” he said and I scoffed.

“That girl’s already gunna be super excited to see you, I don’t want to be a third wheel,” I said and Marc sighed and nodded his head, “Whatever you’re thinking- Stop. I can handle myself.”

“I know,” he said and smirked towards me, “Have fun.”

“I’m just going for food,” I said and then looked down when I heard my stomach growl, and it was apparently louder than I thought because Cam Fowler and Taylor Hall, who sat in front of us, turned around and looked at me, “I’m hungry, turn around!” Marc laughed and I playfully punched him and then whined and laid my head on his shoulder, “Really, really, hungry.”

We got back to the house and everyone headed up the stairs and to their rooms to throw their bags down and change. I changed to jeans with a long sleeve grey tight shirt, wrapped a red scarf around my neck and threw my black Chuck Taylors on. I put a small amount of makeup on, grabbed my purse and threw my wallet and phone inside, I looked at myself in the mirror before I threw the long strap over my head and let my bag fall at my hip. I brushed my hair, deciding to leave it down and then heads for the door. I saw that Marc was buttoning up his shirt, having changed in the corner of the room.

“See ya!” I smiled and walked out of the room, and headed out of the room.

I was heading for the stairs when I heard my name and turned around to see Keith making his way to me, “Just waiting on the other two,” he said and I nodded my head. We headed downstairs and grabbed our coats in the coat room, remembering that it was cold outside. I grabbed my black peacoat and buttoned it up and then waited for Toews and Kane to come downstairs.

“What the hell are they doing?” I whined as I leaned against the wall and looked up at the ceiling.

“Doing their makeup apparently,” he said and I giggled.

“I got dressed and put my face on faster than them,” I stated and he chuckled, “HURRY UP!!!” I yelled, not sure if they heard me, “I’m hungry,” I sighed and then groaned and headed for the kitchen, wanting to grab an apple before I starve to death. But, as soon as I was about to bite into the apple, Kane and Toews appear, “Of course,” I muttered and then sighed and put the apple back and headed for the door.

“You took forever,” Kane said as he looked at me.

“ME?!” I asked and heard Keith laugh as he opened the door and tried to usher everyone.

“Who’s got the key?” Kane asked and Keith held up a set of keys, “All right,” he said and we all walked towards a small Nissan car.

“Why did they give us cars?” I asked as Toews and I pushed ourselves into the back while Keith and Kane got in the front.

“Because the idiots obviously didn’t know who was renting their cars,” Kane said and I snorted.

“The league set it up, right?” I asked and the guys shrugged their shoulders, “Well whoever did, needs to remember that next year we need SUVs.”

“Yeah, I’ll be sure to pass that message on,” Toews said and I playfully slapped him because he was teasing me. He smirked and then acted like my punch hurt him.

“Oh shut up, ya baby,” I said and he chuckled.

“Do I need to separate you two?” Keith asked and Toews and I laughed.

“Sorry dad,” I said and he chuckled.

We headed into town and went to some sports bar and nearly made the waiter faint as he saw the four of us walk in. I sighed, finding that we were getting that reaction a lot. He sat us at a booth and Kane wasted no time to push for the seat next to me, while Toews sat across from me and Keith next to him.

“Something tells me that this sports bar doesn’t get many NHLers,” I said as I looked around and saw that a lot of people were looking at us.

“What gave you that idea?” Kane asked and we laughed a little.

The waiter came over and asked what we would like to drink, Toews ordered a pitcher of beer and four glasses, we were all carded, ‘…Is he doing it to find out our ages, or our names?...’ I thought as the man took his time looking at our IDs.

“Thanks,” he said and then handed them back and when he gave back mine, he made it prominent to touch my hand.

‘…Is he brave or stupid?...’ I thought as he flashed me a smile and then walked away and I rolled my eyes.

“He’s crushing on you,” Keith said, obviously witnessing what the waiter was up to.

“I’m used to it,” I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

“Price ya pay, eh?” Toews said and I snorted.

“Price ya pay for being this damn awesome,” I said and Kane laughed.

“Full of yourself, eh?”

“No more than you,” I said and smirked towards him, hearing Keith and Toews laugh. I winked and stuck my tongue out at him, clearly winning this debate.

Soon we watched as a different waiter brought the beer and frosted glasses over, placing them in the middle of the table and then walking away. Keith grabbed the pitcher and started to pour each of us a glass. I thanked him and took a sip of mine and put it down. And then the four hockey players looked at each other, and guess what they started to talk about?