Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Fifty Seven

A week had passed since New York and finding out that Kris might have cheated on me in Toronto, it would explain his weird behavior, but I wasn’t going to say or do anything until I knew for sure. I definitely wasn’t going to tell Mike about it because whether it was true or not, he would kill Kris.

Right now we were in Boston, we had just come back from practice and were about to eat lunch and then take our pregame nap. I was walking to the hall in the hotel that was going to serve us lunch, as I was about to walk into the room, I heard my name and turned to see Marc walking towards me with Sidney behind him.

“Can I talk to you?” Marc asked and I nodded my head and he started to pull me away and I looked back to see Sidney looking at use confused.

“What’s up, Flower?” I asked and he looked around.

“Are you all right?” he asked and I looked at him, “Maggie, you’re avoiding him.”

“I know,” I said and looked down.

“Why? Is it true? I know you were standing outside the door,” Marc said and I looked up at him.

“I don’t know,” I said and leaned against the wall, “I hope now, but I- I don’t know.”

“Don’t let this get you down, you don’t know for sure,” he said and I nodded my head, “I know you’ve been playing differently.”

“I know, Sid had a talk with me, I’m spending too much time in the box,” I sighed and Marc pulled me in for a hug.

“Does Mikey know?”

“No! And don’t tell him!” I said quickly and Marc nodded his head.

“I don’t want anyone dying,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Everything all right?” I heard and looked to see Sidney turning the corner.

“Yeah,” I said and then looked down, not really knowing for sure.

“You sure?” Sidney asked and I looked at Marc.

“You gunna tell him?” he asked and I sighed.

“I don’t know for sure,” I said and Marc sighed and looked at Sidney.

“I think Tanger slept with someone else,” he said and I didn’t look up.

“That’s a big accusation,” Sidney said and I looked up at him, “You sure?”

“No,” Marc said and then looked at me, “But it would explain why he’s been weird to Maggie since Toronto.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing, Mags,” Sidney said and I nodded my head, “We all know that Tanger loves you. Is this why you’ve been off your game?”

“Sorry,” I said and Sidney sighed.

“Just talk to him, maybe it will stop eating at you if you knew for sure,” Sidney said and I took a deep breath and pushed off of the wall, “But at least wait until after the game, don’t need two angry players on the ice.”

I nodded my head and the three of us headed for the hall door, walking in and getting in line for food. I sat at the table with Mike and Emma alone with Geno, Sidney and Marc. I looked around the room and was confused when I didn’t see Kris anywhere.

“I’m gunna get some air,” I said as I pushed the half eaten spaghetti away from me and headed for the door. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me as I left the room, the topic of Kris’ possible betrayal laid on my mind. I headed for the elevator and went to my floor, just wanting to get some sleep before the game. I walked down the hallway and stopped in front of Kris’ door, he was talking to someone.

I sighed and knocked on the door, Kris opened it and gave me a small smile and motioned for me to come in and then said something quick and French and hung up the phone, “What’s up, babe?”

“Um, they’re serving lunch downstairs, just was wondering if you were coming?” I asked and Kris laid his phone on the dresser.

“Yeah, let me go to the bathroom,” he said and I sat on his bed and waited for him.

As soon as the door closed my eyes went to his phone, ‘…I shouldn’t, I really shouldn’t. I can’t, that’s just- Fuck, I need to know!...’ I got up and rushed to his phone and picked it up. I argued with myself about whether or not to look. I sighed and shook my head, putting the phone down and backing away, ‘…This is ridicules…’ I thought and then heard his phone buzz saying he had a text. I looked at it and saw it was from a number that wasn’t plugged into his phone and the text was in French. I grabbed my phone and took a picture of it and saved it to my phone, ‘…Yup, I’m one of those girlfriends…’

I heard the water running and sat back on the bed and looked at the picture I took of the text. It was a few sentences long and the last sentence said ‘Je t’aime, Kristopher’. I gulped and shoved my phone into my back pocket, I didn’t know French, but I knew those words. Sometimes after sex, Kris says them to me, they mean I love you in French.

‘…Who’s telling that to him? Why aren’t they plugged in his phone? What is happening?...’ I thought as I saw Kris appear from the bathroom.

“Ready?” he asked and I looked at him and nodded his head, “You all right? You’ve been quiet lately?”

“I’m fine,” I said and headed for the door, but Kris grabbed my wrist and pulled me back, he cupped my neck and pressed his lips against mine.

“Feels like I haven’t done that in a while,” he said and I nodded my head.

“I ya- I think I’m just going to call it early for my nap,” I said and he looked at me and nodded his head.

“Love you,” he said and kissed my forehead and I looked at him and nodded my head.

“Love you too,” I breathed and left the room, hurrying back to my room to figure out what was going on. I headed for the bed and just laid down and looked up at the ceiling, ‘…Please don’t be true…’

-Kane-
We were in the locker room getting ready for our home game against the flames. I was lacing up my skates when Jon walked in, I looked at him confused because usually he’s like the first person here. Some of the guys were busting him, but he waved it off and came over to me and plopped down.

“You all right?” I asked and he looked at me and then pulled out his phone and showed me a picture. It was a picture of another phone, with some number and lots of words in French, “Dude, I don’t understand French, you know that,” I said because Jon did speak and understand the language.

“I got a call from Maggie before,” he said and I snapped my head towards him, “This text appeared on Letang’s phone.”

“What does it say?” I asked and he sighed and looked at the picture.

“Why can’t you give us a shot? We had fun that night, why just throw it away again? You know I love you, Kristopher,” Jon read and I looked at him.

“Maggie know?” I asked and he nodded his head, “She all right?”

“Would you be?” he asked and I sighed.

“So it’s true,” I said and Jon sighed and nodded his head.

“I didn’t like to be the one to tell her that,” Jon said and I nodded my head and pulled out my phone and gave Maggie a call, I wasn’t surprised that she didn’t answer, but I left her a message on her voicemail telling her that I was here for her and I would see her soon, because we were playing in Pittsburgh in a few days, “That’s so fucked up to do to her.”

“She’s got a game tonight,” I said and Jon nodded his head, “Against the Bruins.”

“Yeah.”

“Her heads not gunna be in the game, she’s gunna get plowed,” I said and Jon sighed and nodded his head.

“Nothing we can do, just focus on your game, we’ll see in her a few days,” he said and I sighed knowing that he was right.

-Maggie-
“You fuckin’ prick! What did you do that for?!” I growled as I stood up and glared at Seguin after he pushed me into the boards when I didn’t even have a puck.

“You were in my way,” he said and I skated closer towards him, the refs blew the whistle and he smirked at me, “Don’t get in my way, next time.”

“Maggie, Maggie, don’t, stop!” James said as he came up in-between us and pushed me back a little.

“That’s right Marshall, you want to play with the big boys but you hide behind them too,” Seguin smirked and I pushed against James, wanting to get past him.

“He’s going to the box, enough,” James said and I sighed and watched as the refs came and pulled him to the box, Penguins were going to have a powerplay, “Just breathe.”

“I’m trying,” I growled, glaring towards the box that Seguin sat in.

“Come on, we’re already up by two, we have ten minutes left, let’s just finish it,” Mike said as he came over and I nodded my head.

“You all right?” Kris asked and I looked at him, but then turned my head, I couldn’t look at him.

“I’m fine,” I muttered and then headed for the faceoff. Geno won and we tried to make another goal. When the two minutes were up and Seguin was out, the score was still tied at three to one. I was heading towards the bench to get off the ice when I felt a stick collide with my chin. I hit the ground but quickly got up and saw that it was Seguin, “That’s it!”

I threw my stick and gloves down and went at him, “Oh, now you want to fight!”

“I’m not hiding,” I growled and he smirked and threw his stick and gloves down, “Come on, Rookie.”

He glared at me and then came at me and went to throw a punch, but I moved my head and grabbed his arm and threw a few punches to his ribs. I could hear sticks banging against the boards and both teams egging their teammates on, the fans were roaring. I threw a few punches to his face and managed to cut his eyebrow and lip. He got me pretty good in the cheek and I tasted blood in my mouth. We fell to the ice and I was on top of him, the refs were trying to pull us apart, but I had a pretty good grip on him. I was pulled off of Seguin and turned to see that Milan Lucic and Zdeno Chara had a grip on my jersey and weren’t letting me go. I didn’t go after them, I just glared at Seguin. He started saying stuff and I was saying shit right back.

The ref came in front of me and held his hand on my shoulders, more words were crossed between Seguin and I was pushing against the ref and feeling Chara and Lucic pulling me back, “You wanna get your ass kicked again, pretty boy?!”

“Easy there killer,” I heard Chara say and heard Lucic chuckle and I glared at them, “You made your point.”