Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Sixty Nine

‘…Fuck, fuck, fuck! Dammit, shit, what the fuck?!...’ I growled as I glared at the ref for calling Geno’s goal a ‘no goal’, when it clearly was. I looked at the clock and saw that there were about ninety seconds left in the game against Washington. Things weren’t looking good for us, the score was zero to zero and it should have been zero to one and we could have won, but now we had to risk overtime.

Coach told us to stay on the ice and finish the game; he was probably going to pull Marc so that there could be another player on the ice. We faced off in the Capital’s zone; James, Geno, Mike and Matt were on the ice. Geno faced off against Ovechkin and won, the puck was passed to me, Marc was pulled, Sidney was thrown onto the ice. We tried to shot at the net, but their goalie, Tomas Vokoun was pretty good.

James lost the puck to Jason Chimera when he was going to shoot it to Sidney, and Chimera shot it down towards the opened net. I cursed when it went in with six seconds left in the game and groaned knowing that we had just lost our fourth game in a row.

Our first game was on the sixth, we lost against the Rangers, then the next day against the Devils, then three days later against the Senators. Today was our first game for our five away game trip and we lost.

The locker room was quiet, Sidney was angry, we were all angry, but I felt bad for Sidney because when the reporters wanted to talk to him about what went wrong in the game, he had to be nice about it. I had to give him credit; he definitely knew how to wear the media professional look.

Tomorrow we were heading down to Florida for our game against the Panthers the next day, and then the Lightning two days after that, we’ll leave the next day for North Caroline, where we’ll play the Hurricanes, the day after. The next day we’ll travel to New York for another game against the Rangers, where hopefully we’ll be able to take back the win that we should have had before.

It’s been over a week since coming home from Chicago, I was still in a pretty good mood, other than the losses. Kris has been keeping his distance, not like Mike didn’t let me out of his sight when Kris was around. Pat, and some of the other hawks and I have been texting each other just about every day, but with both of our schedules it’s a little hard to actually talk on the phone.

When we finished at the rink, the bus took us back to the hotel. The second I collapsed onto my bed, my phone was ringing, someone was calling me. I grabbed my phone and saw that Pat was facetiming me, I smiled and hit answer and laid back onto my bed, holding the phone in the air.

“Hey!” he smiled as his face appeared on the screen and I saw a few people standing behind him, pushing to get their face in the shot.

“Sparky!”

“Maggie!”

“Mags!”

I giggled as I saw familiar faces, “Hi guys.”

“Sorry ‘bout the game,” Corey said as his face appeared on the screen.

“Yeah, tough one,” I said and then sighed and Pat’s face appeared, “Hi Pa- Ow!” I groaned because I tried to wave to him and hold my phone with one hand, but my phone slipped and smashed into my face. I could hear the guys laughing and I groaned and rubbed my nose.

“You all right?” Pat chuckled and I sighed and rolled onto my stomach.

“Just fine,” I muttered and grabbed my phone and leaned it against the head board as I got comfortable in front of it, “Remind me never to hold it above my face again, it’s hazardous.”

The guys laughed and I smirked and rolled my eyes. Jon appeared and I saw the wrap on his hand, of course I had to ask what happened and he apparently was slashed when they played the Flyers the other day.

“Who did it?” I asked and Jon sighed, “It was the Russian wasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” he said and I looked down annoyed, “He’s a real piece of work, I’ll tell you.”

“You don’t have to, I already know,” I said and Jon smirked.

“I’m all good though, Mags, just a little injury, I’ve had worse,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“You’re still able to play, right?”

“Yeah, I just have to keep it wrapped, it’s a little uncomfortable, but, I’m all right,” he said and I nodded my head and then saw the phone be passed around.

“Can I talk to her?! I’m the one who called her!” Pat yelled as his face appeared but he wasn’t looking at me. Someone said something and the guys started laughing and Pat rolled his eyes, “Assholes.”

“Aw, Pattie don’t pout,” I teased and he looked at me and smirked.

“You have a game tomorrow?” he asked and I shook my head, “The day after?”

“Yeah, we play the Panthers,” I said and he smirked, “I’ll be soaking up the sunshine tomorrow!”

“Can I be there?!” Brent asked as he appeared behind Pat.

“Why?”

“I wanna see you in a swimsuit!” he said and I rolled my eyes.

“Nothing much to see,” I said and all of the guys scoffed, “What?”

“Sparky, you’re hot, hands down!” Sharp yelled, but I didn’t see him.

“Pretty sure Abby wouldn’t want to hear you say that,” I giggled and his face appeared, blocking the others.

“She thinks so, told me at New Year’s,” he said and I was surprised and blushed, which caused him to laugh.

“What do you want me to do? Take a selfie?” I laughed, teasing them.

“YES!” they yelled and I looked at them.

“NO!” I yelled and they groaned, which only made me laugh, “Too bad ya’ll weren’t Pens.”

“You could be a hawk,” Jon said as his head appeared upside down on the screen, meaning he was leaning over.

“I’m happy with the Pens,” I said and Jon stuck his tongue out at me, “Why would I want a Captain who looks so serious all the time?” I teased and the guys laughed.

“Come on, Mags, I’m really a lot of fun,” he said and winked towards me, which made me laugh.

I heard a knock at the door and turned my head and sighed, “Hold on, someone’s at the door,” I said and then picked up the phone and walked towards the door and opened it to see Mike.
“Forgot the key, some of the guys are getting some food, you wanna go?”

“No, but could you get me something?” I asked and he rolled his eyes and I held up my phone and shook it to show him that I was on the phone.

“Stop shaking!” someone yelled and I giggled.

“What do you want?” he asked and I walked into the room and heard Mike shut the door.
I placed my phone back against the headrest and laid down, “Where are you going?” I asked and he shrugged his shoulders, “Surprise me.”

“All right,” he said and then left and I turned back towards the guys who were grinning widely.

“What?”

“Totally see down your shirt right now!” Brent said and I smirked, sighed and shook my head.

“Did you get a good view?” I asked and he smiled brightly.

“Not enough!”

“Well too bad, that’s all ya gunna get!” I said and threw a pillow in front of me and he whined, which made me giggle, “So what are- God, what now?!” I groaned because there was another knock at the door, “Hold on guys,” I said and then walked over towards the door. I sighed and opened it to be surprised to see Kris standing there, “What?”

“Can we talk? We haven’t-“ I shut the door in his face and turned around to go back to the phone, but there was a knock at the door.

I took a deep breath and then turned around, shaking my head and opening the door, “Don’t shut it!” he said when I was about to shut it again, but he held his hand against it, “Please, Maggie.”

“What do you want to talk about?” I asked and glared at him.

“Can I come in?”

“No,” I said quickly, “Talk.”

“I’m really sorry-“ I closed the door, not wanting to hear an apology, not really wanting to talk at all to him. He kept on knocking, but I ignored it and walked back over towards the phone. I knew that the guys saw what had happened because the beds are facing the door, and the camera was in range of everything.

“You all right?” Pat asked as I appeared on the screen again.

“I will be,” I said and he nodded his head.

Kris was still knocking, and I was still ignoring it, “Does he ever give up?” Jon asked and I sighed and shook my head.

I smirked and looked at them, “Does any hockey player?”