‹ Prequel: American Soldier
Status: Updates come when Comments are recieved

Wounded Warrior No More

Walter Reed Hospital

The next day I was helped out of my hospital bed at the Evac hospital and into my Class A uniform. I pinned all of my medals to my jacket right over my heart and I looked over my things to make sure I had everything. I had requested to the general of my outfit if I could keep everything I had gotten when I first arrived over here even the guns and ammunition I had collected and he approved of it. He told me that he was going to have the LBV, the Kevlar, and my complete field pack all packed up and sent to the address I had given them. I insisted on paying the expenses but he said I had already paid enough in the service of my country so he was paying for it. He wouldn't take no sir for an answer so I had to give in and let him do it.

"Major Rossi, your transportation is here." A nurse informed me while pushing a wheelchair into the room. She helped me into the chair and I placed my bag in my lap. She wheeled me from the room and down the hall all the while I slapped hands with other wounded warriors who were here. We got into the elevator and we went down to the first floor where she then pushed me through the entrance of the building. A small bus that transported other soldiers that were going home was sitting outside in front and nurses were helping them on. I used my own strength and will to pull myself. I took a seat and the nurse who had wheeled me out to the bus gave me my bag plus a set of crutches.

"When you land in Washington DC there will be another bus to take you and the others to Walter Reed. We've called the hospital and alerted them of the arrival." she said and I nodded.

"Have a safe trip." She saluted me and I gave her one back before she got off the bus. The other nurses and orderlies loaded a few more people onto the bus before we headed to the airport. I watched the scenery turn from lush and thriving small town to nothing more than green land full of trees and other houses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We arrived to the airport on time and I was helped off the bus by people at the airport and to first class seating on the plane. I had enough room to keep my bag positioned at my feet and my crutches propped up by the empty seat next to me. I didn't have to wait too long before the whole first class was filled with other soldiers of lower rank. From the looks of it, I was the only Major in the whole area. I looked out the small window and watched the plane speed down the runway and ascend into the air. The buildings below became nothing more than specks the farther we went up into the air. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes to get in a nap before the plane landed on American soil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke to a stewardess shaking my should. She informed me the plane had landed and she helped me with my bag as I crutched my way off the plane and just like the nurse overseas said there was another transport bus parked not too far from the plane. I breathed in the crisp American air and boarded the bus. The bus left the airport after everyone was seated. I had never been to Washington DC and as the bus rolled down the busy interstate it felt so good to see the everyday American people driving to their destinations and living their lives like normal people. Of course my normal life used to be leading a squad of 30 men and women into battle and hoping that none of them were killed but all hopes can't be pleasant. Every member of my squad that had fallen to enemy bullets or bombs, I wrote letters to the family. I felt like it was my duty to do so.

The bus pulled up to very large and tall building with letters huge that spelled out Walter Reed. When the bus had stopped in front of the doors to the hospital, there were a parade of nurses and orderlies to help us out. I got off the bus while the orderly carried my bag. I was once again put into a wheelchair where I was wheeled to a private room and informed that a doctor would see me as soon as possible. I looked around the room and it was so clean and you could smell the disinfectant that was used to clean the room with. It was such a wonderful smell that I missed dearly. Knocking came from the door and I looked over to see a doctor.

"Hello. My name is Dr. Walsh. How are you doing today?"

"I'm doing fine doctor." I said politely.

"Thanks good. I just need some information from you and then I'll get you processed into the system." I nodded and he began giving me a series of questions. It was basic things like my name, birthday, my rank, and where and how I was wounded.

"I think that's all I need. I'll be back a little later so we can get started on getting that cast made for your prosthesis."

"Thank you doctor." I said smiling. He left the room shutting the door behind him. He was pretty nice and the place was pleasant. I grabbed a remote from the table beside my bed and clicked on the TV. It had been so long since I had watched a TV show. I did watch a little at the Evac but it was nothing but news channels in different languages and I couldn't understand a damn thing. I stopped on the A&E where they were showing a new TV show called Duck Dynasty. I relaxed in the bed and watched the progressingly funny show. I know I could really get used to this way of life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Come on readers! Please give me some comments. It hurts really back when not one person reads or comments on my stories. Please just give this story a chance and don't be shy in your commenting. I value your opinion whether it's good or bad. I worked hard on trying to get a story together for you guys to read...I don't want to think that my efforts have been wasted....