Status: hiatus until further notice (I haven't forgotten about this; but classes are a pain)

I'm an Asshole, Baby.

T h r e e

Xavier walked down the sidewalk along with his 5 year old nephew, William. William was going on and on, with too much enthusiasm thought Xavier. Young Willy was excitedly telling his Uncle about today's events.

How eventful could a day for 1st graders be, he thought. However, he'd never make such a snide remark to his nephew. Little Will was his younger sister's kid, Jasmine. Jasmine had William when she was just 17 years old, she had actually just turned 17 that day also. At first, Xavier wanted nothing to do with 'Jasmine's kid', as he once referred to him.

Xavier was only 22 at the time himself, he was still a kid as well he thought. He was just as irresponsible as Jasmine was. Who he thought was a complete idiot at the time for allowing herself to get pregnant.

However, when the time came and it was time for Jasmine to go into labor...

Xavier wasn't there. He was actually getting shit-faced wasted at his favorite bar downtown. It wasn't until the next morning, when his mom basically screamed at him to go to the hospital. And so he did, hangover and all.

However, Xavier could barely feel the terrible sensation of said hangover when he finally got to see, and eventually hold William. William Augustus Ward, the middle name taking after their father, Augustus Joseph Ward. It was then that Xavier realized it was time to shape up--only a little. For his young and innocent nephew.

And Xavier did just that, he shaped up just enough to be a part of William's life.

"And Ms. Robinson told Haner that if he scrubbed his hand--the skin would come off!" William said shouting another fact about today. Xavier would just nod and offer small comments along with a smile or so.

However, now was Willy's 3rd time bringing up Ms. Robinson. He was fed up with her and he'd only met her twice. When he told her that she looked like a teacher it was true. She looked uptight, rigid, and like a goody-goody. All 3 things he could not stand.

He hated people who tried so hard to please others and were too caught up on what other's thought of them. It may have sounded completely ludicrous, but, he just couldn't stand "nice" people. It's not as harsh as it sounds. It's not like he went around beating up on nice people. It was just that their personality and his always clashed.

He'd end up saying something that hurt their feelings and then it'd just get worse from there. Xavier wasn't one to hold his tongue, thus another reason him and nicer people didn't see quite eye to eye.

Nice people were mindful of what they said to not hurt people's feelings. Xavier didn't care, if you were offended then that was clearly your problem.

Which is the exact reason he had a nice shiner today. Last night at a bar downtown, Xavier didn't think it was that much of a problem to let a fellow bar patron know that his girlfriends 'fake boobs' were looking good.

However, it was a problem, a big problem which ended in a huge bar fight. One that Xavier's closet friends, Dave Tillman, had to join in on. Dave was always one to help his friend out, which happened a lot.

Ever since that day when X was just 17. Ever since that day X wanted to forget.

"Is mommy coming back today?" William's tiny voice asked, breaking Xavier's complete train of thought.

"Yeah--maybe." Xavier said as he messed up his nephew's dark curls. Xavier tried to sound as convincing as possible, which isn't that hard to do when dealing with a 5 year old.

"Promise?" William asked stopping dead in his tracks, his large eyes peering right up at Xavier.

Xavier slowed his footsteps and then turned back on his heels, stopping. "Will, you know I don't make promises." Xavier said with an apologetic look and shrug to the tiny 5 year old below. Xavier couldn't promise something like that to William, it wouldn't be fair.

William couldn't know that his mom hadn't been picking him up from school, again, leaving him to be left in the care of his uncle, again. Due to the fact that his mom was out on one of her annual drug binge.

No, not 'marijuana'. Xavier had done pot quite a few times, and still did so from time to time. No, marijuana was like smoking pixie sticks. No, William's mom was out on a coke binge.

She'd call Xavier and tell him some cockamamie lie that she was out 'doing something with her life'. That she wouldn't be able to watch William for the night, then it'd turn into two nights, then a whole week.

There was only one occasion when William had basically moved in with Xavier for a month because Jasmine was off getting high. The thought of obtaining full custody of Willy most definitely popped into Xavier's mind again and again. But, Jasmine eventually came back home, tears and all.

That was a year ago, now it's sadly just a routine. One that Xavier--and unbeknownst to him,William-- had become far too comfortable with.

"Could you promise just this time?" He pleaded, batting his eyelashes. Jasmine did the same thing when they were kids, the Ward genes really were strong.

"Sorry bub," Xavier apologized. William's face sunk, his lip poked out and his head hung low. Xavier gave a loud groan, not due to anger. But due to the frustrating fact that William's pouting face was hard to ignore. Xavier squatted down to eye level with him. "Hey, what if we go get some ice-cream. Would that make you forget about a promise?"

William lifted his head just for a split second, and that was to shake his head no.

Xavier blew out a huff. "Two scoops?" Xavier asked, raising his eyebrow. William gave his same answer. Xavier stood straight up, his knees getting tired from his squatting position. He crossed his arms and tapped his foot on the pavement as he thought.

"Two ice-cream scoops and we'll go to Dave's house afterward."

"Dave!" William squealed aloud. Xavier gave a laugh as he cheered himself, having finally won the bargaining war with his little nephew.

"Alright," Xavier announced pulling William up in one swift motion, setting him on his shoulders. "Ice-cream and Dave's house, you really know how to get your way, don't cha."

William's little giggle was all the verification Xavier needed.

Xavier shook his head, beginning to stroll down the street again. The similarities of Jasmine and William were uncanny.

If only Jasmine was sober enough to see it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Xavier's got quite a life, eh.
Just a little insight into the Ward family.
Recc. Sub. Comment.
Thank you for reading.