Riptide.

I'm California magic

One Month Later


A sigh escapes my lips as I shove my cell phone into my apron. All morning I’ve been getting calls from a number I know all too well. My mother’s. I should have known that if I gave Aria my number, our mother would find it and constantly try and get in contact with me. She’s just going to tell me to quit this “tantrum” and come home and beg for my residency back. She never cared about my happiness or anything like that. She’s only ever cared about her image and how my actions would make her look.

“You gotta stopping worrying about your momma, Ali.” Zara’s voice snaps me out of my little trance. “She has no control over you, out here.”

“Try telling her that.” I mutter as I grab a pitcher of mimosa and head outside where Makayla and Gracie are sitting with Brody and Hendrix...and a little girl.

“Who’s this little cutie pie?” I ask them as I fill up Gracie and Makayla’s mimosas. This little girl is adorable. Mocha-skinned and curls for days. She brightens up everyone around her as she dances along to Dark Horse.

“This is Brynn,” Hendrix introduces her, smiling at the little girl. “She’s my new neighbor’s daughter. Willow, her mom, had to work and couldn’t find a babysitter. So I offered.”

“She must have been desperate to leave her kid with you,” I smirk at Hendrix earning a sarcastic chuckle from him. “So you get to play babysitter today? What are your plans to entertain her?”

“Heading to the beach,” he smiles wide. “Brody here is going to teach her how to surf!”

Brody chokes on his Pepsi,” Woah says who?” He questions Hendrix. “I didn’t sign up for this when I said I’d help you watch the kid.”

“Come on, you started surfing this young!” Hendrix defends his decision. “You can teacher her!”

“Hendrix, you don’t have her mother’s permission.” I sigh, “stick with stuff that won’t potentially kill her. Take her to the beach and build sandcastles!”

“Sandcastles!?” The little girl exclaims as she stops dancing. “Can we build them Henny?”

“Henny?” Us girls question as Brody just laughs. Hendrix just glares at us before turning to the girl,

“Yea, after Miss Ali gets off work all of us will take you to the beach and we’ll build as many sandcastles as you want.” The little girl just squeals before attacking Hendrix with a hug. I can’t help but to smile; it’s a cute sight.

“Hey Ali Cat!” Patrick, Zara’s nephew, comes onto the patio. “You are free to go early today. I finished class early today. You can escape now.”

“Thanks Pat,” I smile as I turn to my friends, “I’ll be out in a minute. Let me clock out.” I say before disappearing into the cafe where both Zara and Patrick are busy with customers. I refill a few customers glasses before clocking out. Once I’m free of work, I head upstairs and change into something more beach friendly…

**

“Woot, go Hendrix!” Makayla exclaims as we watch Hendrix and Brynn dancing along to Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae). “I’m surprised how well you can do this. Are you hiding something from us?” As he “whips” he flips Makayla off earning a laugh from the rest of us.

“She’s adorable.” I say to Brody as I watch Brynn goof off with Hendrix. “Kinda makes me homesick or at least miss my niece and nephew.”

“Please tell me it’s your older sister that has the kids. I’m sure you’d kill your younger sister.”

“Yea, Bev is the one with the kids,” I chuckle. “Aiden is 4 and Maddi is 2. They are possibly the cutest things to come out of my messed up family.”

“I’m sure that’s not true.” He chuckles. “Speaking of your family, how’s your baby sister doing?”

“She’s good. She’s moving out to L.A this fall for school. She’s majoring in Biology. She want to eventually go to med school and become a pediatric doctor.”

Brody whistles, “damn good for her.”

“What about your little brother?” I ask. “How’s he doing?”

“Going to college in the fall majoring in marine biology.” He replies. “He lives with our mom in San Diego. He was getting sick of the Solana Beach bubble feeling.”

“I know that feeling all too well.” I chuckle. “It’s good to have a change of scenery once in awhile.”

“I guess,” he shrugs. “I can’t blame him. When I was his age I was traveling all over California living in my car, surfing at every beach in California.”

“It’s shocking how our younger siblings are a lot like us, even if we don’t see it right now.” I laugh. “Aria is my mini me just like Travis is yours.”

“That’s terrifying.” He laughs. I’m about to say something to him when a young woman walks up to us. By her looks, you can tell she’s Brynn’s mom.

“Mommy!” Brynn exclaims as she leaves Hendrix and straight to the woman. “Can Henny be my babysitter all the time? I had so much fun today.”

The woman laughs as she picks up her little girl. “I don’t know, we’ll have to talk it over with him first. But right now, let’s go. I have to get your dinner ready.” Brynn squirms out of her mother’s arms and runs over and tackles Hendrix with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you Henny.” She says before going back to her mother.

“No problem, sugar bear.” He chuckles before turning to the woman. “I’m here for you Willow. Just remember that.”

“Thanks Hendrix.” Willow smiles before grabbing her daughter’s hand and walking away; leaving us behind.

Makayla is the first one to speak.

“Aw, our little Henny has a crush…” She coos, going up to Hendrix and pinching his cheeks.

“It’s not like that.” He says pushing our tiny blonde friend away. “I knew her boyfriend, Brynn’s dad. She lost him a couple months ago due to a car accident. He was my best friend.”

“And here I thought she was just your new neighbor.” I state. “Why didn’t you mention this before?”

“This is the happiest Brynn has been since the accident, I didn’t want to mention it in front of her.”

“That’s nice of you,” I smile. “You really care about her, don’t you?”

“She’s my goddaughter,” he smiles. “I’d do anything for her.”

“Aw, The Botanist is such a softy!” Gracie laughs. “I love seeing this side of you.”

“This remains between us,” he chuckles. “I’ve got a rep to uphold.”

“Your secret is safe with us,” Brody chuckles. “Now come on, let’s head back to my place for some food. I’m starving…” One by one all of us get off the sand and walk down the beach a bit before getting to Brody’s backdoor.

This life is seriously perfect. Even if my mother is trying to ruin it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ali; work
Ali;beach

chapter title credit: So Fuckin' Romantic by Matthew Koma.

comment&subscribe?