Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

A Medal Fought with Pride

"Just sign here Captain and you'll be free to go."

"Thank you." I said signing my name to the hospital patient release form.

"Thanks. Oh and there's a limo waiting for you at the main entrance." I nodded picking up my bags and slapping the side of my leg for Tsunami and Jethro to follow.

Normally dogs wouldn't be allowed to come inside a hospital but their service vests said otherwise. We left the hospital and got into the awaiting limo where the driver took us over to the White House. The limo driver stopped in the front where a nicely dressed man escorted us over to a group of soldiers who were also bring awarded by the President. The man then led the group into a room filled with reporters and cameras. The well dressed man stepped up to the podium and the crowd ceased their conversations before introducing the President.

"Ladies and Gentleman, the men and women that stand before you today are a credit to their uniform and country. They've served in many different branches of our Armed Forces from the Army to the Navy. The awards I'm about to present, are true gestures of how much gratitude the people of this great country have for them." The President said before moving onto the ceremonial awarding. Each of the people who's name was called stepped up to receive the accommodation for their service and sacrifice. A man in front of me had his name called and after he shook the President's hand he joined the group of awarded soldiers off to the side of the stage.

"Now we're going to honor a very special Marine. She took on many challenges. One of which was taking on 2 combat dogs named Tsunami and Jethro. That's never been done before. She ascended up the ranks collecting her fair share of medals for her services. During a routine patrol with her 2 combat dogs and her squad, they were ambushed by the enemy. 3 fellow Marines were shot and with no thought of self preservation, she ran through the gunfire and bombs to retrieve her fallen comrades. While pulling them to safety, Captain Blayke Carrington was shot 12 times but that never slowed this strong willed and determined Marine down. Her bravery saved the lives of those 3 men and that's why I'm proud to present this next award. Captain, will you please step forward?" The President explained to the crowd of people. Camera flashes went off as I walked up on the stage with Tsunami and Jethro in tow before facing the President.

"Captain Blayke Carrington, for your service and sacrifice above and beyond the call of duty, it's my utmost honor and privilege to award to you the Congressional Medal of Honor." I turned around and the President clasped the medal around my neck. I turned back and saluted him.

"I would also like to award both Tsunami and Jethro with the Distinguished Service Medal for their bravery in helping their handler retrieve those wounded soldiers from the battlefield." I watched as the President bent down and placed the medals around the necks of my companions. They both barked loudly once he stood up which made the room fill with laughter.

I shook the hand of the President and saluted all the high ranking Generals who had saluted me. I joined the group of soldiers as the President said a few more words before dismissing us. Now it's time to go home and be with my daughter who I love with everything I have.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please oh please give me comments