Sequel: Forever.

My Heart's Melodie

twenty-four

“Hey Mel,” Alice called, once Joe and I got to his house.

I walked over to her, and sat down on the couch. “What?”

“We have awhile till the reception starts. Lets’s go shopping. You need some girl time.”

I shook my head. “I don’t need anything, Alice. Can’t I just stay here?”

The only thing I need is Joe…. I added silently to myself.

“No,” she said sternly. I sighed, knowing I would never win this one.

“Fine.”

I got up, and grabbed my purse. I was about to follow Alice out the door when Joe grabbed my arm and held me back.

“If she gets to be too much, call me,” he mumbled so only I could hear.

I nodded and walked out the door.

**--**--**

Alice and I walked into the mall, passing by all of my favorite stores. “Aren’t we going shopping?” I asked her, eyeing American Eagle and Forever 21.

“Yeah,” she replied. She was looking at a mall directory, and let out small ‘Ah hah’, and walked away.

I followed her, struggling to keep up with her fast pase.

“Then where are we going?” I asked, almost running to keep up with her.

“You’ll see,” she replied, glancing down the multiple walkways, looking for a store.

She turned a sharp corner, and ran into a store. I stopped in front of it and looked up; it was the Disney store.

The second I walked in I regretted it.

Holy.

Crap.


“Alice!” I shrieked, running through the store, trying to find her so we could leave. I was sure I looked like an idiot; a sixteen year old girl, running through a Disney store, looking like she was scared out of her mind.

Joe’s face was everywhere….

Pillows, shirts, hats, chairs, guitars, DVDs, CDs, towels, everything.

“Alice!” I shrieked again, turning around a corner, finding her looking at Alice in Wonderland things. She turned to look at me as I ran up to her, and pulling her hand, out of the store.

“What are you doing?!” she asked, trying to stay back.

“We need to get out of here!!”

“And why is that? Is there a murderer in here or something?”

“NO!”

“Then what is it?!”

I continued to struggle against her strength. “I. Can’t. Tell. You!” I said, my voice strained.

“Fine then.”

She pulled her wrist out of my grasp, and I fell to the floor. She walked back to where she had been standing.

I ran out of the store, keeping my eyes on my feet as I ran. I couldn’t take it. I didn’t know what was with me, but all I knew was that I had offically lost it.

I paced around in front of the store, trying to keep my insanity. Was she doing this so I would lose it right before my dad’s funeral reception?!

She stayed in the store for another hour, almost as if she was giving me time to think. And I did think.

And I knew what I was going to have to do. I would have to confront Joe, tonight.

**--**--**

“Please raise your glasses in celebration in James’ life. Tonight is not about his death; we wish to keep tonight on a happy note. We are happy he had a good life, and now we are celebrating that. Long live James in heaven. May the Lord be with him and all of us.”

Mr. Jonas said the words so sophicatidly, it hurt to listen. Joe couldn’t even eat. He stared down at his food in horror.

He got up from his chair, having enough, and ran out to the backyard. He saw a small figure out in the distance, shivering from the cold.

Is that where Melodie had gone…?

Alice gave him a small push from the back, urging him to go to her. I started walking towards Melodie, not even aware of what he was doing.
♠ ♠ ♠
second to last chapter!!!
I really didn't like this one....but it's a lead up to the next one......go read it!