Sequel: Blue on Black
Status: Comments = Frequent Updates

A Welcome Burden

Chapter 5

**AUTHOR'S NOTE!**

I can never figure out good chapter title names so I just named it the number. That way you all will be able to keep up. Well on with the story!!**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I watched the scenery pass us by as Logan drove down this seemingly endless road. We passed the Wyoming State sign a few miles back. I can't believe in the 4 years I've been on my own I made it back to Montana. I sighed to myself, a bit of a habit, as I watched the flat lands of Wyoming go by. There was a lot of farmland here just like in Montana. The smell of freshly cut hay filtered into my nose with the smell of Logan's cigar smoke. I always loved the smell of freshly cut hay. As the truck began to slow down I looked out the windshield.

Sheridan 3 miles
Highway 25 South 20 miles


In between the two on the sign were an arrow pointing the direction. Logan turned the truck to the left going towards the town of Sheridan. Sounds like a small town. Instead of looking back out the window my eyes settled on Logan. He wore a crisp white tank top and snugly fitting jeans. His arms were toned, muscular, and tanned. The tank looked tight on him making his chest and abdomen show its toneness as well. My eyes wondered down to the pair of dark blue jeans he was wearing. His legs were muscular too. I followed back up his body coming to the dog tags around his neck. I noticed a bit of hair sticking out but it wasn't too bad. It gave him that right amount of maturity and attractiveness. I still couldn't read the dogtags. I gazed upon his face as he was focused on the road. With one hand on the wheel and the other hanging off the side of the door, I looked at his knuckles. I wonder how he feels about the man who put that metal into his body? I dare not ask since I don't like talking about him.

"Gotta stop by the store and pick up a few things. Need anything?" He asked looking over at me as he entered the town.

"N..no. I'm okay."

"You don't need any um...womanly things?" He questioned a bit shyly about speak of a woman's menstrual cycle products.

"No I'm good." In some ways I was good but in others...not so much. What I mean is thanks to being able to transform into a carnivorous predator...my reproductive system is well...nonexistant. Which basically translates into no future little me's. One of the many things I found out when I was being tested on by Stryker's team of scientists.

Logan found a parking space outside of a Wal-Mart. The town's not too small if it has a Wal-Mart in it. Logan I get out shutting our doors. I follow behind him as we walk into the building. He grabs a shopping cart and pushes it over to the meat and diary section. I focused my eyes to the white tiled floor and my boots as Logan snatched item after item and put it into the cart.

As he turned the cart into another unknown isle, I wondered off. I'm not exactly sure why. My ears picked up some grunting as I was fixing to walk passed an isle with assorted can veggies on one side and condiments on the other. A short older looking woman was struggling to get something from the top shelf. She tried to stop the teenage worker walking by but he was too engrossed in his phone conversation to bother.

"Damn kids." I heard her mumble under her breath as she sighed. The woman reached up again standing on the tips of her toes but still not being able to reach it. I stared at the item she was reaching for and used my finger to make the bottle rock. I steadied it with my hand and guided it to the old woman's hand. A smile came on her face as I noticed her looking at me.

"Thank you my child." She spoke sweetly.

"You're welcome."

"You have a wonderful gift." She said.

"More like a curse."

"Why do you say that?" She questioned.

"It's not usually this successful. I can't control it enough to use it confidently."

"Come closer dear." I reluctantly came to the side of her shopping cart.

"Let me show you something." The woman grabbed an egg from an egg carton in her cart and placed it into my hand before covering it with her own. She looked around to make sure no one was watching before a light emanated from her palm. When she lifted her hand there was no longer an egg but a little baby chick in its place.

"Wow..thats incredible." I said making sure the chick doesn't slip from my hands.

"So is your gift. God gave you an extraordinary power. He does things for a reason so never doubt that." She took the chick from my hands and covered it again. The light came back and the chick was no longer there. The egg had reformed to its original state.

"People perceive us as abnormal but what God has joined with you let no man put asunder. Cherish the gift..don't curse it." The woman said before patting my shoulder. She walked off from me but her words stuck with me. If she only knew my other powers...maybe she wouldn't think so. I left the isle and found the one with all the junk food and sugary drinks. I have to admit. I do have a bit of a sugar addiction. I smiled as I spotted the one thing that always keeps me coming back for more. Cowtails. The caramelly sweet goodness is a weakness of mine. I picked up the bag with 50 of them. $3.95. Not bad for a bag of 50.

"Geez there you are. Thought you ran off." Logan looked at the bag in my hands, "you like those?"

"Yeah but..I was just looking at them." I said putting the bag back. Without a word Logan picked up 2 bags and put them in the cart.

"While we are here, pick out any two drinks you want."

"You don't have to..." I started but Logan gave me a look that stopped me from protesting. His eyes flicked to the shelf and I picked up 2 cases of Gatorade. One being Glazier Freeze and the other Fruit Punch. I learned quick after that to not even protest as we went through the store picking up other various things before going into the section of self checks.

I like the concept of the self checks. Sure does beat standing in line especially when it's a long line. As Logan paid I spied the wad of cash in his wallet. Damn! There had to be at least a thousand or more in there. I wonder how he accumulated all that money? We left the store pushing our full cart towards the truck. When we got there he opened up the camper and I climbed inside to help him load the bags. Logan handed me the last bags which had my drinks and candy in.

"Thanks uh..for getting these for me." I said timidly.

"No problem kid just speak up when you want something next time. You don't gotta be shy." I smiled as I climbed out of the camper before he shut the door and took the cart to the return slot. At least he wants me to stick around. Honestly...it feels pretty good to have someone to travel with.
♠ ♠ ♠
**So what do you all think about this chapter? If there's anything misspelled or doesn't sound right I'm sorry. I'm trying to edit as I go so I don't have to go back and do it again. Well let me know how I'm doing!**