‹ Prequel: A Welcome Burden
Status: Please comment!

Blue on Black

Chapter 10

It doesn't seem like it should be but it is. 2 years have now passed since Logan left. When Christmas came around I was depressed beyond belief. The only thing keeping me going is Charlie. We've bonded even more these last few months. She's been coming with me on the nights that I need to hunt. I was quite impressed when she caught the speeding rabbit. Today since Charlie has no classes, because of the weekend, we are taking a little trip into the woods to a small waterfall I had found. It wasn't a very big waterfall but beneath it, the water pooled and slowly runoff into a creek.

"I can't wait to see the waterfall."

"I know you'll like it."
I said telepathically as we walked through the woods.

"Will there be fish there?"

"Just small ones."
I said. I breathed in the air taking in the scent of the waterfall. We  walked up a small hill before the waterfall came into view.

Charlie looked over at me and I nodded my wolf head. I watched the little wolf run towards the water before jumping in making a big splash. I shook my head at the young girl as I got down to the water's edge.

"Come on mom! Get in the water!" I smiled inwardly and jumped right next to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Logan's POV~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I've found what I needed to know except for the name of the person responsible for giving me this skeleton. I found a file of myself and few other people who's was not as successful as mine. Evidently I volunteered for this shit. The file I read said I was to be some sort of weapon but it didn't specifically say as to what I was going to be doing. That frustrated me beyond belief.

After finding out the information I needed, I went looking for the person responsible. I followed many leads but it all lead to nothing so I'm giving up my search and returning to the woman I love. I just hope her love hasn't slipped away from me.

I pulled into the mansion's driveway and saw that the place hadn't changed. I parked the truck next to a Chevelle I didn't remember seeing before. It was a nice looking car. I left the garage and headed into the mansion to see Charles.

"Logan!" I looked as someone said my name. It was Storm.

"Hey Storm." I said smiling.

"How are you?"

"I'm doing fine. Where's Chey?" I asked as I adjusted my duffle bag.

"I think you should see the Professor about that."

"Did she leave?" I inquired feeling sadness come over me.

"No she's still here. Let's go see the Professor." I walked with Storm down the hallways until coming to Charles' office.

"Logan welcome back. Did you find what you were looking for?"

"Yeah a little. Where's Chey?" I asked again.

"Sit down Logan. We need to talk."

"Did something happen to Chey?" I questioned.

"No Logan. She's perfectly fine physically. It's mentally." I looked at the Professor and he sighed, "When you left, she sat at that gate everyday waiting for you to return. 6 months later she found herself a night job at a bar singing but she still sat there awaiting your return. There hasn't been a day she has missed sitting in that one spot but now she has company."

"She has someone new doesn't she?" I asked fearing the worst.

"No. A young girl came here after being abandoned by her parents and Cheyenne took her under her wing. She takes care of her."

"Where is she?" I inquired.

"I believe they are in the woods exploring. I'll call them back to the mansion."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~Cheyenne's POV~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I laid on the grass watching Charlie running in the shallows of the pooled water chasing the small minnows that swam away from her. It was wonderful seeing her be a child even after all she's been through.

"Cheyenne, you and Charlie come on back to the mansion." The Professor's voice spoke inside my head.

"Charlie, let's head on back."

"Aw I was having fun!"
Charlie said as she looks up from her fishing.

"I know but we'll come back again another time." Charlie ran out of the water and shook it from her black and gray fur as I got to my paws.

We walked through the path I had made from the mansion to here and the journey didn't seem to take as long before we got to the wall. I let Charlie go over first before I hopped the wall easily landing on all fours. As we walked to the other side of the building, my mind went right to Logan. A part of me wishes I could get him out of my mind but the biggest part of me doesn't want to give up on him yet.

"Chey? Who's that with the Professor?" I rounded the corner and I couldn't believe it. Standing there, a few yards away from us, with the Professor was Logan. Our eyes locked and it seemed like the 2 years he had been gone was only a few months.

"Who is that?"

"Let's go."
I said as I began to walk away from Logan. I watched him walk towards me as well dropping his duffle bag to the ground.

"Chey!" He yelled out my name as I walked away with Charlie.

Something inside me told me to turn around and run to him but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I know I shouldn't be doing this but I want him to suffer the same hurt I feel everyday since he left me here.

"Who was that?"

"Logan."
I said as we walked to a secret spot I always went to when I watched the gates.

"The guy you told me about? But aren't you happy to see him?"

"In some ways I am happy. In other ways...I'm just so angry." I said laying on the grass.

"I probably would feel the same way if my parents just suddenly showed up but Cheyenne...him leaving you here is in the past. You gotta learn how to forgive and forget. I've forgiven my parents for abandoning me...why can't you forgive someone you love?"
The little girl was definitely wise beyond her years. I should forgive him but could he ever do the same for me? I don't think he could...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Logan's POV~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Chey!" I yelled at her as she walked away with the smallest wolf beside her. I started to walk after her when I felt someone grab my hand.

"Give her some time Logan. I know she feels like you abandoned her. She'll come around soon."

"Is this what you were talking about? I know she knew who I was." I said as I looked at Charles.

"Yes."

"I really screwed up staying gone for so long." I said running a hand over my face in frustration.

"Not entirely, Logan. You still have a chance to make things right again. As does she."

"What are you talking about?" I questioned in confusion.

"That will have to be explained by Cheyenne. Just know that anything she tells you...she's been afraid of what the outcome might be."

"What's with the riddles?" I scoffed.

"She'll tell you when she's ready. I'm not at liberty to discuss it. Just make things right with her." With that being said Charles rolled away from me and back into the mansion. I sighed deeply. He was right. I needed to fix things between Chey and I. I needed her to know that I still love her and I thought about her every single day.
♠ ♠ ♠
**So What do you think about Logan being back at the mansion?

Oh my God I'm so sorry that I haven't updated this until now. I've been pretty busy getting things ready for Christmas so I hope you all ain't too mad at me.

Anyways that you to @frosty; got commenting several times on this story! I really appreciate it!

Also I won't be updating this story again until after Christmas. I'm thinking I'll be posting another update on either the 30th or waiting until after New Year's. We'll just have to see how everything goes after Christmas.**