‹ Prequel: Breaking the Habit
Status: Active!

Battle Symphony

Confessions, Violence, Forgiveness, And Secrets.

-Chester-
I barely heard the phone ring on the table, opening my eyes.
I rolled over and picked it up, “Hello?” I mumbled.
“Chester.” That was not the voice I expected to hear on the other end.
“Jack??” I asked, sitting up.
“I’m sorry.” he was crying so hard, I could barely understand him.
“Jack what are you sorry for? What’s going on?” I asked, panicked.
“Michelle, she..” he cut off mid-sentence to suck in a breath and cry some more.
“Jack, what did she do? Where is Michelle?” I cried.
“I don’t think she’s going to make it.” he whispered.
“What the fuck do you mean?” I asked.
“Chester, she swallowed a whole bottle of painkillers with whiskey.” he said.
“WHAT??” I leapt to my feet.
“After I talked to you earlier, I went into her room to take care of her, and we got into a fight, it got physical. After I hit her the last time, I left the room, and I guess she just gave up. I cooled off and went back in there to apologize, and I found her in her bed with the empty whiskey bottle and pill bottle. I brought her to the hospital, and they’ve been working on her for ten minutes now, but I don’t think they’re going to get her back.” He whispered.
“Jack, tell them not to give up on her. Don’t let them quit.” I pleaded.
“They told me to make the calls, because they’re going to call it.” He sighed.
“No. NO. Get in there and tell them to keep going. Tell Michelle to hold on at least until I can get there. I’m leaving right now.” I started throwing clothes into a suitcase and called Mike.
“Mike.” I said sharply.
“Dude, it is 3 in the morning, what the fuck?” he asked.
“I need you to come get Brynlee, I’ve got to go to Chicago, RIGHT NOW.” I said.
“What? Why?” he asked.
“Michelle and Jack got into a fight and she swallowed a bottle of painkillers with a whiskey chaser. Jack said they’re trying to save her, but it doesn’t look good. I’ve got to be there. I’ve got to talk to her before she dies.” I said.
“Okay, be right there.” he hung up.
I tossed my suitcase in the trunk and slammed it shut.
Mike showed up alone a minute later.
“Leave her asleep or take her back to your house, it’s up to you. But I’ve got to go.” I got in the car and left.
I got the first flight to Chicago, and prayed to god she’d still be alive when I landed in four hours.

The second the plane landed, I called Jack.
“Hello?” he sounded exhausted.
“Jack, I’m at O’Hare airport, headed your way, what’s going on?” I asked.
“I went in there and told her you were coming, and that you needed her to hang on, and I guess she fought, because they managed to get her back. She’s in critical condition, so we’re not out of the woods yet. Where’s Brynlee?” he asked.
“Mike has her, I told him what was going on, and he came over to get her. Tell Michelle I’m on my way.” I hung up and rushed to the hospital.

“She’s in room 253.” The nurse pointed over her shoulder.
I pushed the door open.
Michelle was sleeping on her side, knees pulled up to her stomach, laying on her arm.
Slowly, I reached out and touched her arm, the warmth in her skin surprising me.
“Baby?” I whispered.
She didn’t move.
“Michelle?” I asked a little louder, rubbing the back of her hand with my thumb.
Her eyes opened slowly, and she turned her head to look at me.
“Oh God, you’re okay.” I pulled her into a tight hug, sobbing into her hair.
“What the fuck is wrong with you?? Why the hell would you do such a thing?” I asked, kissing her hair.
“I don’t want to talk about it right now, Chester.” She held me tight, tears falling down her face.
“I was so scared when I got that phone call. I almost lost you.” I whispered.
“I’m sorry. I just thought it’d be easier for you.” She whispered back.
“How the hell would it have been easier for me? If you’d died last night, I’d have to raise our daughter alone, and explain to her why her mother isn’t around. I’d be lost without you, you’re the other half of me, Michelle, the better half.” I said.
“Where is Brynn? I want to see her.” She wiped her eyes.
“I rushed over here to see you. I left her with Mike and Kayla. But when you get out, I’m taking you home and you can see her.” I kissed her forehead.
“Chester, I’m so very sorry. I just didn’t feel like I had any other option.”
“I know, and we’ll talk about it when this is all over with. But for now, you just need to rest.” I whispered.
“Where’s my dad?” She asked.
“I don’t know, he wasn’t here when I got here.” I said.
“Chester, I am so far off the wagon, I’m in the fucking bar ditch.” She sobbed.
“You’re going to be fine, baby girl. I promise we’re going to get you help, and get you better.” I felt tears in my eyes as I kissed her hair.
“I love you.” She wrapped her arms around me tightly.
“I love you too, baby.” I choked back tears.
“When can I go home?” She asked.
“I don’t know. I haven’t talked to the doctor or anyone yet.” I said.
“So you know about as much as I do.” She shrugged.
“Just about.” I replied.
“Well, the only difference is, I know why I did this, and you don’t.” She said.
“Which we are going to talk about when we get you home. Get some rest. I’m going to find a doctor and get some information.” I kissed her, and covered her with the blanket.

I closed the door, and walked down the hall.
“Hey, you made it.” I looked up to see Jack walking towards me.
“Hey Jack.” I hugged him.
“Have you seen her yet?” he asked.
I nodded, “Yeah, I just left the room.” I said.
“What’d she say to you?” he asked.
“Just kept apologizing over and over and telling me that she thought I’d be better off without her. I asked her why she did this, but she said she didn’t want to talk about it. I made her promise that we’d talk about it when we got home.” I said.
“Well, it’s between you and her. I’m not getting in the middle of it.” He said.
“I’m just happy she’s okay right now.” I said.
“We all are, Chester.” Jack said.
“So she’s in critical condition, when can she go home?” I asked.
“The doctor told me that she should be dead, but by some miracle, she pulled through. They just want to monitor her for a day or two to make sure she’s gonna be okay.” He said.
“Jack, I don’t understand. Why would she do this? She’s been clean and sober since she got pregnant with Brynlee, and in a matter of two days, she’s drinking and overdosing on painkillers. What could’ve happened to her to warrant this?” I looked at him.
“Chester, I’d rather Michelle tell you what happened.” He looked down.
“She did it again, didn’t she? She cheated on me.” I asked.
He shook his head, “No, she didn’t.”
“Then what?” I asked.
Chauntelle saw us and approached, “How’s she doing?” She asked.
“She’s stable, but they want to keep her for observation.” Jack said.
She looked at me, “Hey, how are you holding up?” She asked.
I sniffled, “I’m okay Chaun. I’ll be better when I find out why all of this happened.” I whispered
She hugged me, “At least she’s going to be okay.” She said.
“Yeah.” I sighed.
“Where’s Brynn?” She asked.
“Mike and Kayla’s.” I replied.
Just then, the elevator beside us dinged, and the door opened
“Dada!”
I spun around to see Mike walking out of the elevator holding Brynlee.
“What are you doing here??” I asked.
“I felt like she needed Brynlee more than Brynn needed her right now, and I wanted to make sure she was okay, and see her.” Mike shrugged as I took Brynlee.
“She’s in room 253.” Jack told him, reaching to take Brynlee from me.
“I could’ve called and told you she was okay.” I said, as he turned to walk away.
He looked at me, “Hey, she means something to me too. She’s important to me.” He shrugged.
“Chester, let him see her. He’s worried about her too, and nothing is going to happen.” Chauntelle said.
I watched as he walked away, opening the door to her room.

-Michelle-
I heard the door open, but didn’t look over.
“Hey sweetheart.” Mike’s voice surprised me, as he put his hand on my back.
I sat up and hugged him, “Hi, what are you doing here?” I whispered.
“Came to make sure you were okay.” He replied.
“Well, they say I’m going to be.” I shrugged.
“That’s good.” He said.
“Does Chester know you’re here?” I asked.
“He knows, sweetie.” He nodded.
“And he wasn’t upset about you wanting to see me?” I asked.
“He didn’t seem very happy about it, but I told him that you were important to me, and he didn’t say another word.” He tucked my hair behind my ear.
“He’s still not over what we did, or that I lied to him about Brynlee.” I whispered.
“I know he’s not, but he knows that you’d never do that again, and that as far as Brynlee is concerned, he’s her dad.” Mike said.
“That’s just it, Mike. I did almost do it again.” I looked down in shame.
“You almost did what? Cheat? With who?” He asked.
“William. I ran into him down at the grocery store and we started talking, but that was it. When I told Chester about it, he went off and accused me of cheating on him, and it pissed me off, so I was just going to do it anyway.” I started to cry.
“That certainly wouldn’t have helped the situation.” Mike said.
“William stopped me. Said the same thing. And that I shouldn’t hurt Chester like that again. Then I went home and called Chester and we got into a fight because I was drunk and had been ignoring him. He hung up on me and called my dad in there to take care of me, so my dad and I got into it and he slapped me, and made me feel worthless. Last thing I remember is taking the pills, a bright white light, and waking up on the table in the ER.” I told him.
“Michelle,” he lifted my chin with his fingers, “You are a beautiful, talented and amazing girl. He is head over heels in love with you, and you claim to feel the same about him, but you keep trying to hurt him in retaliation when he upsets you, and makes you angry. You’ve made a pattern out of this, and wonder why he doesn’t trust you.” He said.
I looked up at me, “I think part of the problem is, he’s not the only one who’s in love with me.” I said.
He smiled and looked down, “That’s in the past, Michelle. Where it will stay.” He turned my hand over and looked at my wedding ring.
“Because you are his, and he loves you. I respect both of you too much to want to get in the way of your happiness again.” He said.
“Mike, I think I ruined this when I had your baby.” I sighed.
He shakes his head, “No love. Because he loves that little girl with all of his heart, and he’d do anything in the world for her, just like he would for you. I’ve seen him with her, and he doesn’t treat her any differently than I’d expect him to treat his own daughter.” He said.
“He still resents me for it.” I said.
“Maybe a little, but he loves that baby. And he loves you.” He said.
The door opened, and Chauntelle walked in, holding Brynlee.
“She keeps saying Mama, over and over.” Chauntelle said, smiling.
“Hi princess, oh I’ve missed you!” I hugged her close, kissing her forehead.
“MAMA!” She cried, putting her arms around my neck, nuzzling her face into my hair.
“My sweet girl.” I squeezed her.
Chester and Jack walked in, and closed the door.
“Ike.” She looked over at Mike and smiled.
“Is that mama, Brynn?” he asked.
“You feeling okay?” Chester asked, sitting down and putting his arm around me.
I nodded, “I’m fine baby.” I kissed him.
“Dada.” Brynlee laid her head on his chest, and smiled.
“Hi baby.” he whispered, petting her hair.
“That’s what’s important you two. Her.” Mike nodded toward Brynlee.
“We know, but we’ve both made mistakes.” I said.
Chester kissed my hair, “That we have.” he whispered.
I was overcome with a wave of nausea, and grabbed a basin to throw up.
“Her body is still trying to expel the pills. They pumped her stomach, now she’s just throwing up the charcoal.” Jack explained.
“Mama.” Brynn reached for me.
I wiped my mouth, “I’m okay baby.” I told her.
“You want to tell us why you did this?” Chauntelle crossed her arms.
I looked at dad, then Mike, and down at my legs, “No.”
“So we don’t get to know why you almost killed yourself?” She asked.
“Chauntelle. She’s fragile enough, leave her alone. She’ll talk about it when she’s ready.” Dad told her.
“Do you know?” Chester looked at Mike, who looked at me.
“Yeah, I know.” he admitted, nodding.
“So you told him, but you won’t tell me?” Chester asked.
“Or me?” Chauntelle asked.
“Because both of you tend to overreact.” I said.
“Overreact about what?” Chester asked.
I handed Brynlee to my dad, “I was angry because you accused me of cheating on you, so I decided that if you thought I was a liar, I’d make a liar of myself, and do it anyway.” I said.
“You did what??” he asked.
“I did nothing! He wouldn’t do it. He didn’t want to. Said that wasn’t the answer. Took me home, where I proceeded to get drunk, fight with you on the phone about being drunk, and then fight with dad about all of it, to the point where I decided to just give up, so I swallowed the pills and tried to end it all.” I finished, laying back on the bed.
“So who did you try to fuck?” Chester stood up and walked away from me.
“You know goddamn well who I tried to fuck, Chester.” I rolled my eyes.
“Your ex. You tried to fuck William.” he answered, staring at me.
“Yes. But he said that it was fucked up of me to want to hurt you like that, then he took me home and left. Not a fucking thing happened.” I said.
“So you ARE still a fucking slut.” he said.
I shrugged, “Obviously. But it hasn’t stopped you from fucking me every damn chance you get.” I retorted.
“I’m your husband, and the ONLY person you should be fucking.” He argued.
“Uh, I didn’t do it. You are still the only person I’m fucking.” I snapped.
He glared at me, saying nothing.
“Everyone else, out. Let them talk about this alone.” Dad stood and opened the door.
“I’m not leaving them alone together, he’s two seconds away from knocking the shit out of her, I’m not letting that happen.” Chauntelle said.
“He’s not going to do that, Chauntelle. Come on.” He pulled her by the arm.
“You hurt her, and I’ll kick your ass.” She glared at Chester.
“She’s going to be fine, Chaun.” Chester told her.
“You, come on.” She grabbed Mike’s collar and pulled him to his feet.
“Alright, I’m coming, shit.” Mike said, following her out the door.
“Don’t fuck her while you’re out there.” Chester called after him.
“Hey, fuck you!” I threw a pillow at him.
“Me and every other dick that you let between your damn legs.” he snapped.
“What part of ‘I didn’t fucking do it’ didn’t you understand?” I asked.
“You were going to. If he’d have let you, you’d have done it.” He paced back and forth.
“He didn’t. He took me home and dropped me off, where I proceeded to try and fucking kill myself out of guilt for what I almost fucking did.” I replied.
“I’ve fucking had it, Michelle. This was the last straw. Here and now, you make the decision. You drink again, we’re done. You use any fucking drug that’s not prescribed to you by a licensed doctor, we’re done. You fuck anyone else but me, we are fucking done! I am not doing this shit anymore.” he put his finger in my face.
“And what about you? You’ve been drinking too.” I replied.
“I had a few drinks the night you left. That’s it. I didn’t pop pills and try to fuck someone else.” He said.
“Fine, I wont.” I shrugged, looking down.
He sat on the foot of the bed, “I love you, babe.” he whispered.
“No you don’t. You love fucking me and controlling me.” I said, wiping the tears off my face.
“I am not controlling you. Truthfully, I shouldn’t have to fucking tell you not to drink, do drugs or fuck other people. You should want to be a sober wife and mother to our daughter.” He replied.
“I’m trying to be.” I said.
“Then fucking try harder.” he pulled me into a kiss, pushing me down on the bed.
“Now?” I breathed.
He pressed his body against mine, biting my neck, and I could feel how hard he was.
“No, not now. When we get home. I just want to tease you and make you squirm for me. Remind you exactly who you belong to.” he breathed, slipping his hand around my throat.
“Baby,” I whined.
He kissed me, squeezing my throat, “I want to make you wet, and do nothing about it. Because we both know that the minute we’re home alone, you’re going to beg me to fuck you.” he whispered.
I groaned, biting my lip.
He stood up, letting go of my throat, “Cover yourself up.” he said.
I pulled the blanket over my legs, laying back on the pillow.
The door opened, and my dad came in.
“You two okay?” he asked.
“We’re fine.” I replied, looking down.
“Are you sure?” he looked at Chester.
“Yeah Jack, we’re good in here.” He said.
“The doctor said they’re going to let her out tomorrow morning, and she’s been cleared to go home.” Dad said.
“Good. I know Michelle is probably ready to get home.” Chester gave me a smirk.
“Yeah.” I muttered.
Dad felt the tension in the room, and left.
“I could see it earlier.” Chester sat in the chair next to my bed.
“See what?” I fidgeted with my hospital bracelet.
“Mike wants you. I could see it when I walked in, he wants nothing more than to fuck you again.” He shakes his head.
“No he doesn’t. He was worried about me, because he cares-“
“Because he’s fucking in love with you, Michelle! He knows that if he comes in here and comforts you, you’ll screw him again.” He snapped.
“No I won’t. He won’t either. He just sat there and told me that he respected both of us and our marriage too much to ruin it again by doing that. He does love me, but he knows that it’s never going to happen again.” I said.
He moved from the chair to the bed, laying next to me.
He put one arm behind my head and the other across my stomach and kissed my cheek, “We are going to be okay, love. I promise.” He whispered.
I sniffled, “At the end of the day, we’re always here, just like this, together. No matter what we did, or said to hurt and upset each other, we always sleep side by side, holding each other close, because we can’t live without each other.” I whispered.
“That’s probably the only reason we haven’t divorced yet.” He chuckled.
I laughed, “That and the sex.” I joked.
“Ha ha. Sure.” He pulled me into a kiss, and before I knew it, we were making out.
“I thought we were gonna wait until we got home.” I breathed.
He pulled away, “We are. I just missed you so much.” He said.
“I missed you too, love. Believe it or not.” I said.
“I know you did, you little skank.” He laughed, kissing me again.
“Fuck off.” I laughed.
“Not now, but soon.” He nibbles on my lip.
“How was Brynn while I was gone?” I asked.
“She was good. Didn’t give me much trouble.” He replied.
“Good.” I said.
“Did you really think sleeping with your ex as revenge was a good idea?” He whispered.
“Did you honestly think sleeping with my sister as revenge was a good idea?” I replied.
He sighed, “Touché.”
I fell asleep in his arms.

I woke up to the doctor knocking on the door.
“Hey Michelle.” He said.
“Hi.” I yawned and sat up.
“Just came to check on the nausea you were experiencing earlier. You still feeling sick?” He asked.
I shook my head, “Not for several hours now.”
“Good, you think you could eat? Because we had to remove everything on your stomach last night, so I’m sure you’re probably hungry.” He said.
I nodded, “I could definitely eat.”
“Great. We’ll be sending lunch up shortly.” He smiled.
“Dr. George, you may have figured this out already, but this is my husband, Chester.” I patted the back of his arm.
He blinked and sat up, “Hey.” He yawned.
“Pleasure to meet you. I’m sure you’re very excited that your wife is going to make a full recovery.” He said.
“Ecstatic. I missed her, but when I got that phone call, I almost lost my mind.” He said.
“I was in town on business, we live in California with our daughter.” I explained.
“Well, you’re clear to fly, so if it suits you, you can go home tomorrow when you are released.” He said.
“I can’t wait.” I sighed.
The door opened and Mike walked in.
“Where’s Brynlee?” I asked.
“Your sister took her home to your dad’s. Said her and the rest of your siblings would look after her.” He said, hugging me.
“Oh joy, my daughter is being exposed to my insane family.” I joked.
“They’re not all bad. Gabi seems nice.” Mike said.
“Her, Chris And Chaun are the only ones I really get along with. Angelo and Derek are the ones that drive me to drinking, literally.” I laughed.
Chester gave me a look, but said nothing.
“Well they’re just happy to meet their niece.” Mike said.
Chester was watching him closely, and me too.
“I just hope they don’t treat her differently, because of her her dad is.” I looked at Mike.
“I don’t think that they would do that.” Mike said.
“Angelo and Derek might.” I said.
“Then it’ll be the last damn time they see her.” Chester had his back to us, arms crossed, staring out the window.
Just then, the door opened and my oldest brother stormed in, greeting me with a open handed slap across the face.
“You want to keep fucking up your life? Fine. But your daughter deserves better. Don’t poison her like mom poisoned you, don’t turn her into a whore.” He cried.
Chester grabbed his arm and jerked him away from me, “Back the fuck up!” He shoved him.
“Why are you defending her?? She’s trash! She’ll hurt you again!” He yelled.
“She’s not trash, she’s my damn wife, and I love her. If anyone is going to poison Brynlee, it’s you people and your simple minded hatred.” Chester shoved him again.
Angelo threw a punch, and Mike shoved him into the wall before he could hit Chester.
I leapt to my feet and pushed between them just about the time Angelo swing again, and his fist collided with my face, sending me into the wall and eventually the floor, slamming my head against the hard tile.
My skull pounded as I pulled myself up, Mike and Chester both going after Angelo, I shoved them both away and took another fist to the mouth.
Tasting blood, I picked myself up again, but this time Mike grabbed me, “God damn it, get the fuck back before he really hurts you!” He yelled.
“I have to stop this.” I pushed him away and wedged myself between Angelo and Chester who were trading shots back and forth, swinging my arm with all my might, I punched Angelo, knocking him off balance.
He fell to the floor and I jumped on him, pressing my arm against his throat, “Next time, don’t fucking punch somebody that YOU taught how to fight.” I punched him in the nose, again in the mouth and finally twice in the eye while he gasped for air and tried unsuccessfully to push me off, despite me pinning his arms to the floor with my knees.
He went limp and I stood up, breathing heavily, and bleeding profusely from my mouth, nose and ear.
I calmly went into the bathroom and turned the faucet on, washing the blood off my face and out of my mouth.
Mike ran for the doctor while Chester rushed into the bathroom.
“Oh my god, your face.” He grabbed another washcloth and started wiping my ear and nose, while I spit blood into the sink.
Mike came back, “Jesus Christ Michelle.” He said tearfully.
The doctor made me lay on the bed while he stitched the cut on my ear and looked at my mouth and nose.
“He busted her lip, it needs stitches, and her nose isn’t broken, but he did bust several blood vessels.” Dr. George said.
“Is she going to be okay?” Chester asked.
“She’ll be fine, shouldn’t have any scarring or disfigurement, but she will be in pain for awhile. We can’t prescribe her any pain medication because of her past opiate use, all she can have is over the counter pain medicine such as Tylenol and ibuprofen.” He shrugged.
“I can hear you.” I mumbled.
“We know you can, babe.” Chester said.
“Where is my brother?” I asked.
“We treated his injuries and sent him to Cook County.” Dr. George replies
“Injuries?” Mike asked.
He nodded, “Michelle broke his nose, two of his teeth, split his lip open and blacked both his eyes. Surprisingly, she is in better shape than he is right now.” Dr. George said.
“Wow, you really pack a punch for being such a little woman.” Mike said.
“And don’t either of you forget it.” I chuckled.
“So, back when…you could’ve knocked the ever loving shit out of me, but you didn’t?” Chester asked.
I nodded, “I could’ve, but didn’t feel that was necessary.” I said.
“Why?” He asked.
“Because I got in your face. I had that hit coming.” I admitted.
“No you didn’t. And Bailee..” He whispered.
“Chester, it’s in the past.” I pressed the gauze to my lip.
“If I’d known you could hit like that, I probably never would’ve hit you to begin with.” He said.
“Angelo taught me to fight when I was 10, so that I could defend myself. I enjoyed it so much I even thought about joining a boxing club, but he said I couldn’t because he taught me how to fight to kill. And they don’t let you join if you’re a legit danger to other people. He must’ve forgotten about it.” I said.
“He wasn’t hitting you.” Chester said.
“I was defending the two of you. You may be men, but he’s lethal, especially when he’s angry, and I didn’t want him to hurt either of you.” I said.
“Let me stitch that lip, Michelle.” Dr. George said.
“So my wife is not only gorgeous, but a little bad ass too?” Chester smiled and petted my hair.
“Remember this next time you think about fighting with her.” Mike commented.
I couldn’t say anything because the doctor was putting five stitches in my lip.
“You should still be able to go home tomorrow, but you need to go to your nearest hospital in two weeks to have those stitches out.” Dr. George said.
I nodded.
“Gentleman, come have a seat and we’ll take a look at your injuries.” He had them sit on the couch while he looked them over.
“Bumps and bruises mostly. You’ll need a couple of stitches in your eyebrow, but you two look good. Seems the lady over there took the majority of the beating.” Dr. George said.
“She handed out quite a beating too.” Mike smiled at me.
“Yes, She appears to be a very strong young woman, but I advise you not to go around picking fights with people bigger than you, especially men.” He laughed.
“I don’t make a habit out of beating the snot out of my brother unless I have to.” I said.
“That reminds me, did you three want to press charges?” Dr. George asked.
I looked at them, and they looked at each other.
“No.” I said.
“Are you sure?” He looked skeptical.
“He’s my stupid older brother and I love him. I don’t want him to go to jail.” I sighed.
“Babe, you haven’t seen your face.” Chester said.
“Yes I did. Before it was stitched up. I know what I look like right now. But Angelo is my brother.” I said.
He sighed, “Okay. If you say so.” He shrugged.
The door opened and my dad walked in.
“That fucking bastard.” He seethed, upon seeing my face.
“Dad, I got in the middle of it, he didn’t mean to.” I told him.
“Still, He shouldn’t have walked in here and snapped you.” He said.
“What’s the difference in him slapping me and you slapping me?” I asked.
“I’m your father, I had good reason, and ALL I did was slap you. He beat you to a bloody pulp.” Dad snapped.
“Actually,” Chester piped up, “Angelo is in worse shape than she is. She beat the shit out of him.” He said.
“Is that true?” Dad looked at me.
“Yes sir, it is. I tended to your son’s injuries before he was arrested. He’s in much worse shape. Your daughter did quite the number on him.” Dr. George said.
“How?” He asked me.
“Ang taught me how to fight in self defense when I was ten years old. He taught me how to fight off people bigger than me.” I said.
“Well, I guess that came back to bite him in the ass.” Dad said.
“I’m just glad she’s never used that shit on me.” Chester said
“She’s has reason to, a few times.” Dad looked at him.
“I know. I’m just lucky she didn’t.” Chester said.
“She probably would’ve seriously hurt you.” Dad told him.
“No doubt.” He looked down at me.
“So what exactly did she do to my son?” Dad asked.
“Michelle broke his nose, two of his teeth, split his lip open and blacked both eyes.” Dr. George said.
“Damn Mickey.” Dad laughed.
“She had him pinned to the floor. It was crazy.” Chester said.
“He must have 200 pounds on you, how did you do that?” Dad asked.
“I pinned his arms down with my knees, and wailed on his face.” I shrugged.
“Well, that’ll teach him to mess with you. And hopefully this will teach you not to get between three grown men in a fight.” Dad said.
“I did what I had to do. It’s fine Dad, I’ve been slapped around worse.” I said.
Dad, Mike and Dr. George looked at Chester.
“What? Not by me, she hasn’t.” He said defensively.
“It wasn’t him, guys. You’d all have known about it if it was. It was before I met Chester.” I shifted under the blanket.
“Who was it?” Chester asked.
“Not important. Done and over with, forgiven and forgotten.” I sipped my water.
“How much worse than this was it?” Mike asked
“Two black eyes, busted lip, fractured jaw, broken nose, broken collarbone, bruised ribs, sixteen stitches on the back of my head, and a two inch deep gash on my left thigh.” I said.
“You know, I wondered what that scar on your leg, but I never asked.” Mike said.
“Kitchen knife.” I nodded.
“What the fuck happened?” Chester asked.
I sighed, “We were out of dope, He was paranoid, and I was going through withdrawals, and didn’t want to have sex with him, so he attacked me. I was in the hospital for over a week. He ran, and as far as I know they never caught him.” I said.
“He could’ve killed you. Why didn’t you fight back?” Chester asked.
“I was sick, and weak. I couldn’t. And he was planning on killing me. I managed to get out the front door and run down the street screaming until the neighbors called an ambulance and the cops because I was covered in blood.”
“And just when the hell did this happen, that I didn’t know about it?” Dad asked.
“I was 20, living in LA. He’s the only one before Chester that I stayed with for more than a night. I was with him for about six months before that happened, then I never saw him again.” I said.
“Christ Michelle. You didn’t think to call me?” Dad asked.
“I was ashamed of myself, for being addicted to drugs and alcohol, and for what he did to me. I thought you’d be angry at me, so I did my stay in the hospital, got out and went right back to drugging and partying.” I shrugged.
Dad sighed, “Baby, we didn’t raise you like this. I didn’t raise you like this.” He said.
“I know. I made a lot of bad decisions and stupid mistakes.” I said.
“Sounds like you’ve been through a lot more than we realized.” Mike said.
“I hope it doesn’t make you think any less of me. It was just a dark time in my life, and not one I’m proud of.” I said.
“Of course not, Michelle. We all still love you.” My dad said.
The door opened and Chauntelle walked in, followed by Derek, Chris holding Brynlee, and Gabriella.
“Oh my god, Mickey!” Chauntelle gasped, covering her mouth with her hands.
“I’m fine, Chaun. Really.” I said.
“You look like you got the worst of it.” Derek commented.
“She really didn’t.” Chester said.
“Well you two obviously didn’t.” Derek retorted.
“Hey, don’t fucking start. I’ve fucked up one of my brothers today, don’t make me come after you.” I glared at him.
“Why the hell are you even here?” Dad asked Derek.
“She IS still my sister, thank you.” He crossed his arms.
“You’re on Angelo’s side.” Chauntelle said.
“I was until I saw this, now I want to beat his ass too.”
“I wouldn’t. I don’t know how much more he can take right now.” I replied.
“You roughed him up good, didn’t ya kid?” Derek smiled.
I nodded, “He forgot that he taught me to fight.”
“You gonna press charges?” Gabi asked.
I shook my head, “No. I got in the middle of it, it was my fault if anything. The initial slap wasn’t, but the fist fight that followed was, and I feel like it would be adding insult to injury to press charges, so I’m gonna let it go. I’m just ready to go home.” I sighed.
“Tomorrow.” Chester said.
“Mama?” Brynlee had been asleep in Chris’s arms, and was awake now, reaching for me.
“It’s me baby, I promise.” I told her.
She withdrew from me, “Mama..” She cried softly.
“I know baby, but I’m okay. I’m still your mama.” I reached for her and she cried harder, hiding her face in her uncle’s shirt.
“Hey Brynn.” Chester walked over, reaching for her.
“Dada.” She went right to him.
“She’s scared of me.” I felt tears falling down my face.
“You just don’t look like what she’s used to seeing, Michelle.” Dad said.
“It could take weeks before I look like myself again. She’s not going to want me.” I said.
“Of course she will. She’ll get used to it, and realize it’s you.” Chester sat down next to me.
Brynlee looked at me, and started crying again.
“Brynlee Faith, my sweet girl.” I reached for her little hand.
She stopped crying and stared at me.
“Yeah, it’s me baby. I just got some boo boos.” I told her.
“Mama?” she asked, pointing at me.
“Yeah baby, that’s mama.” Chester said.
She stared at me for a minutes, then reached for me, “Mama.” I picked her up and kissed her hair.
“Michelle?” I looked up as the door closed.
“William, hi.” I said.
“Good god, what happened to you?” he asked, careful to stay close to the door.
“My older brother and I had a misunderstanding, and I had to set him straight.” I explained.
“I hope he looks worse than you do.” William laughed.
“He does.” Mike and Chester chorused.
“This must be Brynlee.” He smiled and waved at her.
She smiled back and raised her hand, her way of waving.
“Yes, this is my baby girl.” I said.
“She’s beautiful.” he looked up, “Hi Jack.”
Dad smiled and shook his hand, “Good to see you William.”
“Chauntelle, Chris, Derek, Gabi. Nice to see you all again.” He smiled.
“Likewise.” Chauntelle hugged him.
“It’s been a long time.” Chris shook his hand.
“I heard what happened, and wanted to make sure Michelle was okay.” he said.
“She’s going to be just fine, thanks for your concern.” Dad smiled.
“So, forgive me for asking, but which one of you is Chester?” he asked.
Mike and I pointed at him, “He is.” we said.
“Nice to meet you, finally. I’ve heard a lot about you. All good things, I swear.” he said offering his hand.
Chester didn’t hesitate like I expected, instead, he smiled and shook his hand, “Likewise. Well, for the most part anyway.” he laughed.
“She’s a bit misguided, and broken, but you really have a good girl here. I was a fool for throwing her away like I did, but I’m glad a good man like you came along and picked her up.” he said.
“She is a bit of a pain in the ass, but she’s my pain in the ass and I wouldn’t trade her for anything in the world.” Chester sat down next to me, putting his arm around my shoulders.
“Nobody else is going to say it, so I will. William, thank you for not giving in when my little slut of a sister crawled in your lap, because most guys would’ve jumped at the oppertunity, and have, you respected her, Chester and their marriage by refusing to have sex with her.” Chauntelle said.
I opened my mouth to say something, but Chester put his hand over it, “Don’t. It was the elephant in the room that nobody else was going to mention. And I agree with her.” he looked at me.
“I’m going to bite your hand, move it.” I told him, muffled.
He took his hand away, and I looked at William, “Truly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I’m supposed to be trying to do better, and you stopped me from breaking that promise. Thank you.” I said.
“Michelle, I know how badly I hurt you when I cheated on you, and I didn’t want any part in you hurting him, especially after everything you two have been through. I wasn’t going to have a hand in making someone else miserable. Besides, I have a lot more respect for women now that I’m not a kid anymore. After what I did to you, I felt like an ass, and it made me reconsider how I treated women.” he said.
“Thank god someone changed for the better after your break-up, because it Michelle didn’t.” Derek said.
“Thank you Derek Joe.” I glared.
“Either way, I really appreciate it, William. And I’m sorry I made the accusation that you slept with her.” Chester said.
“She’s beautiful, that’s very true, but she isn’t mine anymore. I had my chance and I blew it.” William shrugged.
“On the bright side, maybe Angelo’s tough love knocked some sense into her.” Chauntelle laughed.
“We all need to let Mickey rest. She’s had an eventful day, and it’s only two in the afternoon. Come on, all of ya.” Dad started herding them out one by one.
“We’ll stop by in the morning to bring Brynlee and your stuff, and so we can say bye before you guys leave.” Chauntelle said.
“Please take care of my daughter.” I told her as we hugged.
“Like I’d hurt my niece.” she laughed.
“Bye Chauntelle. I called as she walked out.
“Come here.” I looked at Chester.
He climbed in bed next to me and put his arms around me, and we fell asleep.