‹ Prequel: Breaking the Habit
Status: Active!

Battle Symphony

The Little Things Give You Away

-Chester-
First thing the next morning, we got Michelle packed and ready to go home.
“People at the airport are going to look at us weird.” She groaned, looking at herself in the mirror.
“You’re going to be wearing a hoodie and a scarf, nobody is going to see your face.” I told her, zipping her bag up.
“I’m supposed to make a four hour flight looking like the princess of Saudi Arabia?” she asked.
“Would you rather make the flight looking like you just fought Rocky Balboa?” I asked, crossing my arms.
“Well, no.” She flopped onto the bed.
“Then, after you, your highness.” I handed her the hoodie, scarf, and sunglasses.
She rolled her eye, since one was still swollen shut, and put them on.
“Great.” her voice was muffled by the scarf.
“Come on drama queen.” I laughed.
“Shut up.” She kicked me.
“Knock it off.” I said.

We decided to just go to her dad’s and get Brynlee and her stuff, so that she could say bye to everyone before we flew home.
“Guys, I’m here!” She called, opening the door.
“Mickey!” Chauntelle hugged her.
“Where’s my daughter?” I asked.
“Still asleep. We were just having coffee.” Derek said.
“Good morning, how do you feel?” Mike emerged from the living room.
“I feel okay, all things considered. Did you stay here?” I asked.
“Your dad offered, and I decided it’d save money on a hotel since it was just for one night.” He shrugged.
“I hope it’s okay Mickey, I let him sleep in your room. Brynlee stayed in there with him.” Dad said.
“No, I don’t mind at all. That was very generous of you dad.” I smiled.
“Brynlee give you any trouble?” Chester asked.
Mike shook his head, “No, she was good. Ate and went right to sleep after I changed her.” he said.
“Good.” I said.
“Have a seat, I was making breakfast. You three can eat before you leave.” Dad said.
“I’m gonna take a shower before I get on a plane, but I’ll eat after.” I said.
“I need one too.” Chester smelled his shirt.
“That’s fine, just please, no funny business.” Dad gave us a look.
“Yeah, have some respect.” Derek said.
I rolled my eyes, “You all act like it would be the first time I’ve had sex in this house.”
“MICHELLE!” Dad and Chester shouted together.
“What??? It wouldn’t be.” I shrugged, going to my room.
“And I slept in her bed.” Mike groaned.
“Relax dude, there’s no way she was as fucking freaky as she is now, besides it’s not like you’ve never fucked her.” Chester laughed and followed me.
“Chester, too much!” Gabi groaned.
He laughed, “Sorry Gabi, but it’s true.”

He closed the door behind him, and started undressing while I peered in on Brynlee.
“So how are we going to take a shower that doesn’t lead to sex? We’ve pretty much NEVER been able to do that.” Chester said.
“Self control.” I pulled my shirt off.
He bit his lip, “I don’t have it.” he looked me up and down.
I laughed, “My face looks like a crash test dummy, and you want to fuck me?”
He shrugged, and kissed me, “I think you’re beautiful no matter what.”
“Stop buttering me up, it ain’t happening mister.” I pushed him away, with a laugh.
I pulled the shower curtain back and turned on the water.
“Why not?” Chester asked, behind me.
“Because,” I turned around, “We really don’t have time, our daughter is asleep literally ten feet away, and my entire immediate family is about twenty feet away.” I said.
“So you’re going to tease me, and make me wait until we get home?” he ran his hands to my hips, and kissed me.
I started making out with him, pinning him against the bathroom door, grinding my body against his, my hand down the front of his shorts, stroking him slowly.
He moaned, “Babe..”
I pecked him on the cheek and turned around, stepping into the shower, “Karma’s a fucking bitch, Chester.” I closed the curtain.
He yanked it open, “Oh is it?” he asked.
I smiled, “Yep.”
He stepped into the shower, closing the curtain behind him, and smiled at me, “Not this time, baby.” he pinned me to the wall and kissed me hard, his hand automatically slipping between my legs.
I moaned, “We can’t.”
“We weren’t going to, but you started it.” he breathed, putting my legs around him.
He pushed me against the wall, shoving his cock inside me.
I cried out, but his put his hand over my mouth, “Quiet, you’ll get us caught.” he whispered with a smile.
I shivered and whimpered.
“Just enjoy it.” he kissed down my neck, fucking me harder.
I put my own hand over my mouth, biting down on my knuckles to muffle the moans.
“Baby..” I whined.
“Shhh.” he kissed me softly, thrusting hard at the same time.
He put his hand over my mouth, because what came out was loud and very obvious.
“I’m gonna cum.” I whispered, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.
He shuddered, and I knew he was coming too.
His lips crashed into mine, and we moaned into each other’s mouth.
“KIDS, STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW!” My dad was standing right outside the bathroom door.
Chester looked up at me.
“At least we were done.” I shrugged.
He let me down, and we washed up and rinsed off.
When I opened the bathroom door, he was standing in the bedroom.
“You want to tell me what I said before you got in the shower?” He has his arms crossed, angry dad style.
“No funny business.” I replied.
“And what did you do anyway?” He asked.
“He attacked me.” I shrugged.
“You started it.” Chester said.
“I don’t care who started it. You were asked not to, and you did anyway.” He looked at both of us.
“Dad, we’re grown, we’re married, and we’re not fighting. Just take it.” I brushed my hair.
He shook his head, “I gave you your first bath in that tub, and in ten minutes you’ve ruined the sacredness of it.” He said.
“Daddy, I wasn’t going to stay a baby forever.”
I said.
Chester shrugged, “Kinda your fault, really. You made her hot.”
I turned around and smacked his arm, “Shut up!”
“What? It’s true!” He said.
“Evidently, because you-“
“Don’t you dare finish that sentence.” Dad warned.
I stopped, putting my hands in the air, “Okay, fine.
“Look, you are right. You’re both adults, and you’re married. I can’t stop you from having sex, I’d just rather not hear it.” he said.
“That’s not going to happen.” Chester sat down to put his shoes on.
I glared at him.
“What? You fuck like a-”
“Enough!” Dad turned and left the room, closing the door.
“Seriously, can you NOT say things like that in front of my father? He’s 61, and you’re going to give him a heart attack.” I said.
“I was going to say, you fuck like a porn star.” He shrugged.
“Yeah, that’s something you don’t say to my FATHER.” I put my jeans on.
“He knows you’re an adult, Michelle. You didn’t have a daughter from immaculate conception.” he said.
“Chester, he watched me come into the world, and changed my diapers. It doesn’t matter how old I am, to him I’m still his baby. Would you like to think about our daughter doing that?” I asked.
“No.”
“Then don’t make him think about it.” I sat next to him.
“You still started it, you know.” he started kissing my neck.
“I never said I didn’t. But quit it, we’ve got a flight to catch, and I’ve got to get into costume.” I stood up.
“There’s the drama queen routine again.” He chuckled, smacking my ass.
I opened the bedroom door, “Dad, where’s Brynn?” I asked, coming up the hallway.
“She’s in the kitchen with me.” he replied.
“Have a nice shower sis?” Chauntelle smirked behind her coffee mug.
“Bite it, bitch.” I gave her a look.
“No, thanks. I’ll let Chester do that.”
“What am I doing?” he asked.
“Biting my sister.” She replied.
“Oh. I already did.” He shrugged.
“Guys, TMI!” Dad shouted.

I went into the kitchen and picked up my baby, “Good morning princess.” I kissed her cheek.
“You two can’t just take a shower like a normal couple, can you?” Mike walked past me to pour a cup of coffee.
“Come on sweetie, you know better than that.” I gave him a look.
“Ike.” Brynn reached for him.
Mike set his coffee down and took her, “Good morning sweetheart.” he said.
“Kids, breakfast is on the stove, I’ve got to get going. Michelle, Chester, Mike, it’s been nice having you around, don’t hesitate to visit next time you’re in town.” he hugged me, then shook Mike and Chester’s hands on his way out the door.
“I should slap you.” Derek gave me a dirty look.
“For what? Fucking my husband? Because after everything I’ve done, THAT’S the worst. And remember what happened to the last asshole who slapped me.” I sneered.
“For disrespecting our father, and his home.” Derek said.
“Shall we go back to when I was eleven, and I came home from ballet to you screwing your girlfriend on the couch while dad was in his room sleeping? And you bribed me not to tell by taking me, William and Sadie to the skating rink after school for a month.” I gave him a look.
He shut up quick.
“Eleven?” Mike asked.
“And two months. It was Valentine’s day, and everyone else was out with their dates.” I said.
“You went out that day too.” Chauntelle said.
“Dad took William and I to the pizza parlor after school for a “date” of sorts. But we were eleven years old, so it didn’t really count. We didn’t actually start dating until three years later.” I picked up a piece of bacon and nibbled on it.
“Okay, fine.” Derek rolled his eyes.
“Dad just doesn’t want to accept the fact that his baby is grown up.” Gabi said.
“It was going to happen sometime.” I gave a little bite of bacon to Brynlee to gnaw on.
“Sweetheart, we’ve got a flight to catch.” Chester put his hand on my hip, and kissed my cheek.
“Okay, let’s go. You ready?” I looked at Mike.
“Yeah, I’m ready.” he switched Brynlee to his other arm, and picked up my suitcase.
“You take care of my sister and my niece.” Chauntelle hugged Chester.
“Always do my best, Chauntelle.” He said.

We boarded the plane, with me wrapped up like I was making mid-winter grocery trip, and settled in.
Brynlee fell asleep in my arms, and I wrapped her in a blanket.
Chester slipped his hand into mine, and kissed my cheek, “I love you.” he whispered.
“I love you too.” I breathed, falling asleep.

“My love, we’re home.”
I opened my eyes, and looked out the window, seeing L.A.
Brynlee was asleep in Mike’s lap.
“Let’s go babe.” Chester helped me to my feet, and walked behind me, while people gave me dirty looks.
“Ignore them, MIchelle.” Mike told me.
“What happened to her?” A lady whispered as I walked past.
“Mind your damn business.” Chester told her.

We got off the plane, and headed home.
I fell asleep again the way home, Chester waking me up again when we got there.
He took Brynlee in the house, putting her in her crib.
I fell onto the couch, exasperated.
“Why don’t you take a nap baby?” he asked.
“Can’t. I’ve slept too much already.” I murmured, sitting upright.
“Michelle, you’re obviously exhausted.” he kissed me.
“I’m fine, babe.” I stretched my legs across his lap and laid my head on his shoulder.
“We’re alone, you know. Baby’s asleep.” he ran his hand up my leg.
I smiled, “She is, and we are.”
He kissed me, moving me into his lap, “Then let’s.” he slid his hands under my shirt, up my back.
“I’ll go get a condom.” I whispered, standing up.
He grabbed my hand, pulling me back, “No love. Don’t. Let’s have a baby together.” he kissed me again.
“We have a baby, Chester.” I said.
He just smiled, “You know what I mean.”
“Are you sure?” I whispered.
“It’s not like we didn’t have sex in the shower this morning without one, what’s a second time in one day?” he pulled me back into his lap and took off my shirt.
“Oh my got shut up.” I laughed.
“That’s my sassy girl.” he reached down and pulled my panties off.
The front door opened right after he took off my bra.
“WHOA!” Mike spun around facing the wall.
“Can we help you?” Chester pulled me against him.
“Kayla wanted to know if you guys would like to come over for dinner to celebrate Michelle’s homecoming.” he was talking to the wall.
“We’d love to, Mike. Tell her we said thank you.” I said.
“Will do, I’ll let you get back to it.” he turned toward the door.
When the door closed, Chester kissed me again.
He unbuttoned his jeans, and wiggled out of them.
“How are you already hard?” I asked, pulling his underwear off.
“Because of you.” he grabbed my throat and kissed me hard.
I giggled, “Always with the flattery.”
“Well, you didn’t marry me for my looks.” he shoved his cock inside, and I moaned.
“Not JUST because of your looks.” I bit my lip, as he guided my hips up and down.
“Oh right, I forgot, you married me for this.” He thrust hard against my hips, making me shiver and moan.
“It’s just a bonus.” I kissed neck.
“Your sense of humor keeps this marriage interesting.” he ran his hands down my back, squeezing my ass.
“Your cock keeps it hot.” I tossed my head back, and ran my fingers through my hair.
“That’s my girl.” he said.
I stood up and let him get up, laying across the couch, legs sprawled open.
He climbed over me, pushing my legs up, tucking my ankles behind my head, and pounded me, as I lay there, staring up at him, trying not to scream, biting down on my lip so hard I felt the stitches tear.
He nibbled on my neck, “Are you gonna cum baby?” He whispered.
My breath caught in my throat, and I whimpered, “Yes, don’t stop.”
He kissed me, “Not until you cum.”
And cum, I did.
There was no holding back what came out of my mouth this time, I screamed so loud the heavens had to hear it.
He smiled from ear to ear, just before he came too, biting his lip, “Oh my god!” He cried.
He was fucking me so hard, I felt the couch inching across the floor with every thrust.
His hands tangled in my hair, he pulled me into a kiss, slowing to a stop.
“You don’t seriously think we’re done, do you?” I asked against his lips.
He smiled, “The faith you have in me is amazing, to think that I could possibly top that, so soon.” He breathed.
“You don’t have to top it, just keep doing what you’re doing.” I replied.
He chuckles, “Later love. You woke up the baby.” He whispered.
“Mama!” Brynlee called.
I laughed and put my clothes back on.
“Girl, you’re going to fucking kill me, you know that?” He pulled his jeans back on.
“Whatever. What man doesn’t enjoy sex?” I went down the hall.
“I never said I didn't enjoy it, I’m just saying, we moved this couch a foot across the floor, and I feel like I just climbed a mountain in five minutes.”
The sweat glistened on his skin, and I smiled, “You’re the one who married a freak babe.” I went into the bedroom.
“Mama!” Brynlee reaches for me.
I picked her up, “Hi princess.”
She wiggled, so I put her down on the floor.
“Dada!” She called, crawling toward the door.
“BABE OH MY GOD BRYNNS CRAWLING!!” I cried, following her.
He met her at the end of the hall, “Look at my baby girl go! Come to daddy Brynlee!” He clapped, holding his arms open for her.
She crawled to him and he picked her up, “My big girl.” He kissed her hair.
I smiled, “My baby is getting so big.” I said.
“Guess it IS time for us to have another one.” Chester put his free arm around me.
“We need a boy.” I said.
“Oh definitely.” Chester said, kissing me.
“Love!” Brynlee hugged both of us.
“We love you too, Brynn.” Chester said.

“Michelle, wake up.”
I opened my eyes to the dark bedroom.
“Is Brynn awake?” I asked, sleepily.
“No, but we’re having dinner with Mike and Kayla, remember? We need to get ready to go.” He whispered, kissing my hair.
I sat up and stretched, “How long was I out?” I asked.
“Couple of hours.” Chester changed his shirt.
“And you let me sleep?” I asked.
“Babe, you’ve been through a lot the last couple of days, the least I could do was let you rest.” he said.
“I have several other things I could be doing. This house is a disaster.” I got out of bed.
“Mimi, the house is fine. It’s nothing that I can’t clean up myself, which is literally nothing. I can do every household chore and task that you can do. You need rest. You almost just died.” He pulled a long sleeved shirt on and tugged the sleeves up to his elbows.
“That’s refreshing, most men expect the woman to take care of the children AND the house.” I slipped into a black dress and brushed my hair, before attempting to put make up over my still slightly swollen lip.
“Baby, that’s how the older generation was raised. Nowadays, people believe in sharing the workload. Or at least I do.” He said.
“Damn it,” I flinched, running the lipstick across my lips.
“Babe, you don’t need all of that. You look beautiful without it.” He told me, kissing the back of my neck.
“I’m trying to make the best of this monstrosity I have to deal with, thanks to my brother.” I said.
“It’s not even that bad anymore baby.” he ran his thumb across my lip.
“It still hurts a little.” I replied.
“I know, baby.” he said, kissing me softly.
“Mama.” Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Brynlee sit up in her crib.
“I’ve got her, you finish getting ready. I’ll change her clothes and pack the diaper bag.” He winked, walking away.

I finished my make-up and went into the living room.
Chester had Brynlee in her playpen, with a rattle and a singing bear, while he rummaged through drawers in the kitchen.
“What are you looking for?” I asked, putting my earrings in.
“Her teething ring. I had it the other morning, but now I can’t find it.” he said.
“Babe, she has another one.” I opened the fridge and dug it out of the ice tray.
“Well honey, it’d be nice if I knew where the spare was.” he dropped it in the diaper bag, and grabbed two bottles of milk out of the fridge.
“Did you get her a change of clothes?” I asked.
“Yes. there’s a spare onesie and pants in there, a brand new pack of baby wipes and diapers.” He replied.
“Then we’re ready to go.” I walked over and picked the baby up, putting her on my hip.
“Let me get the keys.” He went back into the room.
I put Brynlee in her car seat and took her to the car to strap her in.
Chester came up behind me while I was strapping her, and smacked me on the ass, “I LOVE that dress on you, babe.”
“You love taking it off of me.” I replied, closing the car door.
“Which you know I will, later.” he said, kissing me.

We hadn’t spoken of it, but we both knew that Chester was due to leave for tour in two weeks, and I knew that he was worried about leaving me alone, not just because he was afraid I’d cheat, but because he was afraid I’d hurt myself.
I wanted to bring it up, but I didn’t want to upset him and have him worry more.
I’d put him through enough this week already without adding more stress.

We walked up the sidewalk, hand in hand, him carrying the carseat.
I stopped, letting go of his hand.
“What’s wrong?” he asked, turning to look at me.
I shook my head, forcing a smile, “Nothing babe, Just felt like I was losing my shoe.” I lied, taking his hand again.
“You sure?” he asked.
I nodded, “Yeah. I’m good.” he said.
We walked up to the door and he rang the doorbell.
“On my way!” Kayla called.
“Kayla, sit down. I’ll get it.” I heard Mike scold her.
The door opened, “Hey, come in.” he smiled.
The house smelled of divine food, and my mouth watered.
“Glad to see you when you’re both decent.” Mike closed the door behind us.
“Not like it’s nothing you haven’t seen before.” I started unstrapping Brynlee from her car seat.
He cleared his throat uncomfortably, “Kayla made roast and vegetables. Glass of wine?” he went into the kitchen.
“Yes.
“No.”
Chester and I looked at each other, and I sighed, “We’ll have water, thanks.” I smiled.
“Come have a seat. Drill sergeant won’t let me get off the couch, and I could use some company.” Kayla patted the couch next to her.
“Where’s Milo?” I asked, sitting down, while Chester went into the kitchen to help Mike.
“He’s asleep already. Can’t let him stay up past nine or we can’t get him to go to sleep.” She propped her feet on the table.
“You’re going to burst before too long.” I said.
“Still can’t believe I’m pregnant and you’re not.” She sipped a glass of water.
“It’s a work in progress.” I brushed a strand of hair out of my face.
“What?” She looked over at me.
“We’re trying to get pregnant. We decided to go ahead and have another baby.” I said.
“When did you two make this decision?” She asked, intrigued.
“We’ve been talking about it since right before I left for Chicago, and we started trying, or should I say, stopped trying not to get pregnant just here recently.” I said.
“Wow. That’s huge.” She said.
“Well, besides this little hiccup here recently, we’ve both been back on the right track, and we think we’re ready to have another baby.” I said.
“Yeah, I heard about that. Are you sure you’re in the frame of mind to have another child right now? I mean, I love you Michelle, you’re like my best friend, but you just tried to take your own life. Are you sure you need to be worrying about someone else’s?” she asked.
“Like I said, it was a hiccup, but we’re not going to have those problems anymore.” I shrugged.
She gave me an unsure look, but said nothing.
“Mike also told me what happened when he went over there to extend our invite for this evening.” She spoke after a few moments of tense silence.
“Like I said, we’re trying to have a baby.” I shrugged.
“Well, knowing you two, it won’t take long.” She smiled.
“I hope not.” I said.
Brynlee was asleep on my shoulder, snoring softly.
“I’ll never say it in front of Chester, but I really think she’s starting to look like Mike.” Kayla touched the baby’s hand.
I looked down, “I see more and more of Mike in her every day. I think Chester does too, and that’s why he’s all for the idea of us having a baby. He wants one of his own. That’s really his own.” I whispered.
“What’s going to happen when she realizes she’s different than the rest of them. When she realizes she doesn’t look like her dad or siblings?” She asked.
“I hope she doesn’t, but if she does, we’ll tell her the truth. I don’t really see any other choice.” I said.
“I just hope she takes it well, if it does come to that.” Kayla looked at Brynlee.
“I think about it sometimes, and I often wonder if it wouldn’t have just been easier to give her to you and Mike when I read that paper, instead of lying to Chester, and lying to her.”
“There’s no way you could’ve done that, Michelle. After what happened to Bailee, it wouldn’t have been possible.” She sat back.
“I never said I would’ve wanted to do it, but it would’ve made it easier on her. If we weren’t so attached to her already, I’d give her to you anyway. She’s still young enough, she won’t remember.” I sniffled.
“Michelle, yes she would. She sees you and knows that you’re her mother. She sees him and knows that he’s daddy. That would only confuse her more.” She said.
“I just don’t want to have to tell her what I did, how she was conceived, because I’m ashamed of myself. I want her to have a normal, happy life.” I shifted Brynlee where she was laying in my arms.
“Besides, she’d notice that she didn’t look like me either, and start asking questions. Plus, the closeness in age between her and Milo wouldn’t add up right for her to be mine. One way or another, it’s going to come out. I’m sorry Michelle.” She said.
“I know. I’ll just have to face the truth when the time comes.” I shrugged.
“You know, he still thinks about you sometimes. He still thinks about you and him.” She said.
“He and I both know that’s over, Kayla. I can’t change how he feels about me, but I promise, that’s done.” I said.
“When he told me what you’d done, and that he was going to Chicago to see you, I packed mine and Milo’s bags, because in my heart I just knew that it was because he was in love with you. I knew what was going to happen.” I saw tears in her eyes.
“But it wasn’t like that at all, Kayla. He wanted to make sure I was okay, and he knew that Brynlee needed me. In no way was it like that. Chester thought so too, and I shut him down.” I shook my head.
“Tell me the truth, Michelle. If the two of you were alone together, and nobody would ever know, would you do it again?” she asked.
I looked straight into her eyes, “No.”
“You’re lying. You used him at first, but you’re in love with him, too.” She whispered.
“No I’m not. If I were, I’d have gone back to him when he called that day. I knew where I wanted to be, where I needed to be, and that’s where I am.” I said.
“Maybe, but I think all of that changed when you saw that paper the day Brynlee was born. When you knew she was his, you wanted to be with him, but you couldn’t and you knew it, so you came up with a lie, to protect Mike, Chester, Brynlee and yourself. But when that blew up in your face, you knew that you were stuck in a lie.”
“I’m not stuck in anything, Kayla. I love Chester, and he loves me, and we love Brynlee.” I said.
“I’m not saying you don’t. I’m saying that you and Mike still have romantic feelings for each other. Jesus the sexual tension between you two in a room together, it’s thick. I don’t think that I’m the only one who sees it either.” She glanced over her shoulder at Chester, laughing with Mike.
“He sees it. I know he does, and that’s why he’s so worried. But I swear to you, on God, nothing will ever happen between Mike and I again.” I laid Brynlee in her carseat.
“Do you know what he did after he walked in on you two this afternoon?” She asked, looking back at me.
“No, and I don’t want to.” I said, standing back up.
“You already know, that’s why.” She said.
“Kayla, it’s nothing. It means nothing. It’s over for good. Now let’s drop this.” I said turning away.
“Hey, dinner will be ready in ten.” Chester slipped his arm around my waist, kissing my face.
“Okay babe.” I told him, smiling.
“You okay?” he asked in my ear.
“Yeah, just got a lot going on in my head right now. It’s just overwhelming.” I told him with a kiss.
“We can go home if we need to.” he whispered back.
“No, I’ll be fine. I just need some fresh air, that’s all. Be back in ten.” I kissed his cheek and walked outside.

I sat down and lit a cigarette, sitting on the patio chair.
“God, what have I done? He is never going to love her like he loves me.” I whispered to nobody.
I finished the cigarette, and lit another, my hands shaking.
The door opened, “You not hungry?” Mike asked.
I sat bolt upright, “Yeah, I was just decompressing a little bit. The last few days have really been a lot to take in at once.” I said, stepping on the cigarette.
“You sure?” He sat next to me.
I nodded, subconsciously moving away from him, “Yeah. I’m just a hot mess at best, as usual. Nothing new.” I said.
“Okay, well dinner’s ready when you are.” He stood and went back into the house.
I dropped my head into my hands, “How do I make him stop wanting me?” I asked.
“You can’t.”
I jumped, leaping to my feet, and turned around.
“What are you doing?” I asked.
Chester walked around, stepping up on the porch, “Keeping an eye on you. You just tried to commit suicide not 48 hours ago, and that man is in love with you. I can’t let you out of my sight.” he said.
“How long have you been standing behind me?” I sat back down.
“I walked out the side door in the garage about the same time that Mike came out here.” He sat beside me.
“Chester, he’s hurting her. She knows that he still has feelings for me, and it is breaking her heart. How do I stop him from destroying her?” I lit another cigarette.
“I don’t think you can. You can’t stop him from wanting you, even subconsciously. He doesn’t outwardly show his feelings for you, but they’re there.” he said.
“I don’t have feelings for him, shouldn’t that be enough?” I looked over at him.
“Michelle, you can lie to me, but don’t lie to yourself, you DO still have feelings for him. Like him, you lock them deep inside you, you don’t show it, but you’re still just as in love with him, as he is with you. It’s the little things that give you away. When you’re around him, the small gestures and trivial things say all that I need to know. I’ve ignored it all for the most part, but sometimes it really does get to me, too.” he said.
“Irregardless, like I just told Kayla, It’s over for good. I am where I belong, with you. Where I want to be.” I said.
“Where you want to be? Or where you think you’re supposed to be?” he asked.
“Where I want to be.” I slipped my hand into his, and kissed him.
“It’s just, knowing the truth about Brynlee, it fucks with me. Because the older she gets, the more she favors him, and it’s got me worried that you’ll see it too, and want to go back to him.” he said.
“I notice it too. I don’t say anything to you, because I don’t want to upset you or hurt your feelings. It doesn’t make me want to go back to him. It really makes me wish I could go back and undo it, make it to where she was yours, and then we never would’ve been in that mess at all.” I wiped my eyes.
“You can’t. The bed’s made. Now you have to lie in it, with whoever you choose to lay with.” He let go of my hand.
“Don’t do this to me now. We’re trying to have a baby together. If you do this, and I end up pregnant, that’s just another confused child.” I grabbed his arm, teary eyed.
“I’m not doing anything, Michelle. I’m just telling you the truth. You made your choices, now you have to live with the consequences. I’ll love you and support you in whatever you choose.” He looked at me, and for the first time, I truly saw the pain and fear in his eyes, that I’d never seen before.
I’d been looking at everything through rose colored glasses, but in this moment, I was seeing things for how truly bad they were.
How truly bad I’d made them.
Written in his face, in his eyes, was everything I’d ever done to wrong him, every time I’d caused him pain, or every time he didn’t feel good enough for me.
I saw it all, and all I wanted to do was take it all back.
“I choose you and Brynlee 100% every time, Chester.” I hugged him.
“You know I’d never make you choose between him and Brynn. But you and I is different.” he said.
“It doesn’t matter, I’d still choose you. He knows it, I know it, and though you’re afraid to be wrong, you know it too.” I said.
“Let’s go eat, babe.” he leans in, and kisses me.
“Chester, I swear on my own God forsaken life, that I’ll never touch him or any other man again.” I said.
“Don’t swear on your life. You’re still too close to death for that.” he whispered, looking back at me.
“And we can’t lose you. Brynlee and I need you too much.” he said quietly, as he went inside.