Sequel: Hope

Purple Hearts

Everyone has got something to tell Franky

Tre locked up the garage and walked back into the house listening to Franky and Charlie giggling and laughing as he followed behind.

It was good hearing Franky’s laugh again and he was so glad that she was home.

As he entered the warmly lit house that he and Sammi had made so welcoming and beautiful he thought then of Adi entering her dark lonely home and felt sad for her.

What would happen to her? She’d spent a lot of time with him this past month, sometimes bringing the boys with her, glad of his company and he supposed he was glad of hers. He knew they’d always got on she’d been a shoulder to lean on for him in the past but he also knew that he’d pissed her off many a time with his stupid ways, but that was him and he couldn’t change his ways. Still, they’d been good friends to each other this past month.

Closing the front door behind him he shouted out.

“Anyone feel like watching a late movie?”

**

I climbed the stairs to bed and already I could hear them both laughing at something in the movie, real belly laughter. It was good to hear and I’m so pleased that Charlie had come back with me; he was good company for Dad too.

As I closed my curtains I could hear my phone ringing. I noticed it was Hannah calling and I smiled to myself as I picked up.

“Hey Hannah.” I said.

“How are you Franky? Hell, have I missed you and I’ve got so much to tell you.” I heard from the other end of the phone.

“Everyone seems to have something to tell me.” I said going to my bed, then lying back on it, looking up at the ceiling.

“Well lots has happened,” said Hannah, “but I’m seeing you tomorrow so I can fill you in then. I can’t wait to get The Xtras going, we’ve all been dying for you to get back.”

“Me too, I just want to get drumming with you guys again.” and I did, so much.

And forget about my baby for a while.

“Hey I saw Gerard yesterday.” Hannah said.

My heart skipped a beat. So, he was back.

“Oh.” I said, not expecting her to mention his name.

“Yeah, he’d literally just flown back from Europe he was at Larry’s store buying milk and bread and then going home for a long sleep. I asked him how the tour went and if he managed to see you. He was in a hurry but said he’d call around and see you first thing tomorrow as there was something he wanted to tell you.”

“Not him as well.” I said then laughed. What could he possibly have to tell me?

“I didn’t realise you didn’t get to see him, weren’t you guys going to meet up?” Questioned Hannah.

“I thought we were going to too, it just didn’t happen though.” I replied.

“That’s such a shame.” said Hannah knowing that her friend was quite keen on Gerard.

We said our goodbyes then I got undressed and into bed.

Gerard was coming to see me first thing in the morning. Why? He hadn’t contacted me at all while he was away, not once. Why did he need to come round, why couldn’t he just call up and tell me what he wanted to say? May be it wasn’t good news. But what could it be?

Franky fell asleep, her mind wandering all over the place.

**

Although Adi had gone to bed fairly late she still woke up early and hadn’t slept that well. The first person she thought of when she woke was Tre.

She sighed and looked across at the huge bed with just her in it and thought about Billie quickly and all that they had got up to in the privacy of their own room, but that was all it was and only the briefest of thought because her mind was straight back to Tre again, wondering what it would be like to have him alongside her, here in this bed.

She couldn’t quite believe that she was having these lustful thoughts about Tre. They’d spent a lot of time together over the past month since Franky had been away and it was great, they were keeping each other company but suddenly it had turned into a little more for her.

Tre had been the one she’d shown Billie’s letter to, he was the one who had cooked for her and her boys when she was down and couldn’t be bothered. He’d shown real enthusiasm over her designs for the Xtra’s clothes and he’d taken Franky’s place at the drums when it came to the band practicing. He’d encouraged them and praised them at every opportunity and slowly she began to see a different side to him, he was a lovely guy. Not that she hadn’t always thought he was a lovely guy but…. all his annoying ways that used to piss her off suddenly didn’t seem to irritate her any longer and surprisingly she’d grown fond of them.

If only he felt the same way about her but she was quite sure he didn’t, to him she was probably just good old Adi, separated wife of Billie, just Tre’s good friend.

She didn’t know how to react now, as they wouldn’t enjoy so much time together. Franky was back so she’d have to keep these feelings to herself and take each day as it came.

**

After quietly, well as quietly as she could throw up Franky had her shower. She let the warm water run over her body, the feeling of looking forward to the day ahead wash over her and wondering whether Gerard would show or not. What the hell could he want to tell her? He’d made it quite obvious that he wasn’t interested otherwise he’d have contacted her. Franky suddenly wanted him out of the way so that she could move on.

Getting out of the shower she threw a soft fluffy towel around her and then heard her Dad call out.

“Franky, Adi’s here with the designs.”

A surge of excitement shot through her suddenly as she thought about The Xtras, she was itching to get on the drums again and play with them.

She quickly dressed in a pair of jeans and t-shirt, brushed her damp hair through and reached for her cherry lip-gloss.

Putting it to her lips the overwhelming smell of cherries turned her stomach so she replaced the lid and threw it down onto the dressing table.

**

Tre and Adi were in the basement and Franky could hear their voices as she approached. She stopped to take a listen.

“She’s got a busy day today so I’d leave it until this evening.” She could hear Tre say.

“Yeah but she needs to know about him, she’ll get suspicious and start asking, wondering where he is.” She heard Adi whispering.

“Well, may be this evening, I’ll bring her over to yours and you can tell her then.” Tre responded.

“OK but she’ll be so tired by then, may be I should leave it until tomorrow.” Franky could hear Adi say.

“Its up to you Adi but the sooner she knows about him the better. I can’t believe he’s done this,” Said Tre.

In actual fact he was pissed off with Billie. All the years that they had shared everything, the three of them and now… Mike hadn’t even heard from him. But his anger was short lived and he suddenly felt concern for his old friend. He hoped he was OK, really OK. He’d been through a lot so Tre hoped that Billie was fine but it still hurt Tre that Billie couldn’t turn to him and Mike with his problems. Where the fuck was he? Was he with anyone?

“Oh my god.” He heard Franky’s voice break into his thoughts.

“Adi I don’t know what to say.” She said.

Franky was looking at the outfits that were hanging up. There were two for each of the guys in the band.

“I think she approves Tre.” Said Adi looking over at Tre.

“Of course she does, they’re amazing but… you should explain the styles and colours to her.”

Adi went across to Franky and explained.

“I thought it best to stick to a type of colour theme but I didn’t go down the red, black and white route as someone else had that idea.” Adi said then laughingly looking at Tre.

She’s looking at him like that again thought Franky. He doesn’t notice, it’s just her. Oh Adi.

“So I’ve kept to black, white and a hint of purple. See, here, this is James’ he’s got black trousers with a white shirt and black tie but on the tie and sometimes appearing on his shirt, either on the collar or top pocket is … a purple heart. See, here.”

I did.

“That’s amazing.” Said Franky.

“Well it was James idea actually we didn’t know which other colour to go with and he said purple, mentioned something about it being your favourite colour which we already knew really and then I think it was him that came up with the heart symbol too, I can’t remember now.”

“They’re all awesome Adi.” But Franky’s mind was suddenly with James and remembering back to being in the garden when he had told her that he loved her.

Could it be James’ baby?

“So what are the others wearing?”

“Well Ed pretty much wanted to have the Mike sleeveless top and black trousers. His trousers have got a purple stripe down the side. You’re all in black, you’ve got black fitted shirts but they’re comfy too so that you can easily move your arms. We thought we’d go for something cool as you get hot playing. This is one of yours, its got tiny purple hearts and this one is just black with a purple heart on the collar.” She said showing Franky the shirts.
.
“Hannah will be wearing little dresses or blouses with a skirt.”

“They’re gorgeous Adi, come here.” They hugged each other.

“Thanks so much for doing this, what do the others think?”

“They love them. So, do you want to try on your outfit? I’ve got some more coming in about two weeks but these will do for your photo shoots for now.”

“Oh I’m dying to try this on.” I said taking the blouse with the tiny purple hearts off its hanger to go and try on upstairs in my room.

The hearts were so tiny they looked like tiny polka dots until you got close up she realised trying it on. It looked wonderful and the material was just right, you could tell the shirt was good quality.

I was just admiring myself in the mirror when Dad shouted out.

“Franky, you have a visitor.”

Oh my god, it could be Gerard. Franky’s heart skipped a beat.

“He’s in the kitchen, Adi and I are just popping out for a while.” Shouted Dad.

It was him, it had to be.

“OK Dad, just coming.” I shouted back.

Hi Gerard, guess what? I could be having your baby or on the other hand it may be James’ or Billie’s. Shit.

Composing myself I checked my reflection in the mirror. I glanced at the cherry lip-gloss on the dressing table. Ugh! I couldn’t face putting it on.

I crept downstairs and I could see him sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee from a mug. He had is back to me, his hair was as I’d always liked it, jet black with a spiky feathered cut.

Right. Whatever you’ve got to tell me, I’m going to be prepared I thought to myself and taking a deep breath.

“Hey, you’ll look like a mug of coffee one of these days.” I said going into the kitchen.

He stood up, turned and was smiling. I’d forgotten what a great smile he had.

“Franky, I lost my phone.” He just came out with it.

“I lost my phone and couldn’t contact you, please believe me.” He said.

He was such a good-looking guy and I was sure he didn’t realise how much so and I’d forgotten how much. He was lovely.

“I… I do believe you Gerard, why wouldn’t I?” I said. So he hadn’t grown fed up of me and found someone else.

“Because I’ve been worried that you thought may be I was ignoring you. I’d never do that.”

“It’s… its ok, but I really didn’t know what to think. I thought may be you’d lost interest and that you’d found someone else.” Yes, and that is what I had thought.

“Franky there is no one else.”

He was right, there hadn’t been, all the time that he’d been away, apart from when he’d sung or was being interviewed or photographed all he’d thought about was Franky. He had been worried, worried what she thought of him and now, here she was standing right in front of him as cute as ever and his heart lifted. Now he knew it, having seen her standing there with her beautiful blue eyes. He knew.

“More coffee?” I said matter of factly. I wasn’t sure now what to say to him. I had been prepared for something quite different.

“No thanks, I had to come before I flew off to see my parents in New Jersey, I’m going tonight, I had to come to explain, I was concerned.”

He was facing her and staring straight at her.

“Oh come here.” Said Franky and he did he came to her and took her in his arms and he sighed.

She felt comforted and felt that this is what she needed, to be held in someone’s arms and made to feel that everything would be fine but then her thoughts changed.

I could have your baby in me

“Franky?” he said. She could feel his voice and breath on the top of her head.

“Yes.” she said talking into his chest.

“I need to say something to you.” He whispered.

“Oh yeah… what’s that then?” she said looking into his marvellous green eyes.

“Marry me.”