Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

The After Party

Later...

We all walked through to the after party, which was being held in a separate room. Everyone was on a high. As we walked through we were handed glasses of champagne. I'd have much preferred a glass of ice-cold cherry cola but this would have to do. I took a sip, mmmmm delicious but I knew I had to be careful, as I hadn't touched alcohol for years since my vodka experience and being hospitalized.

I stood with Adi for a while but she got talking to Bono's wife and they were discussing some charity or other. Aunt Jen was talking to someone I didn't even know so I stood there feeling so stupid and out of place.

What were THEY looking at I thought? I'd just glanced over and saw the guys from My Chemical romance looking over. I immediately looked away feeling hot and bothered. Please stop looking at me; I know I look pathetic in these high heels, please top looking over and reminding me. Had my make up run or something? I felt sick like everyone was taking the piss out of me. Then I turned round and there were the guys from Fall Out Boy looking over and their singer Pete Wentz was looking over and laughing with the guys. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.

I felt a bit stupid laughing now about what Hannah said about kissing him. He wouldn't want to kiss me he was laughing at me in this stupid dress. I felt pathetic and alone.

"Excuse Me," said a guy with an English accent

"Oh Hi" I said turning round

"Can I get you another drink?" he said. I was sure I recognized him but couldn't place him.

"Er. No I'm fine with this one thank you," I said taking a sip.

"You look like your mother you know, I remember her in some press shots. She was very beautiful," said the guy

"Yes lots of people say I look like her," I reply. Who was this guy? Should I know him?

"You haven't lost your English accent," he said

"Oh most English people think I've got an American accent" I reply "and the Americans think I sound English. Sometimes I can't work out what I am," I say. Stupid cow what was I talking about.

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?" he asks

"Actually I am busy tomorrow," I think quickly not wanting to carry on with the conversation. He was good looking but not really my type.

"That's a shame. I fly back to England the day after tomorrow. I just wondered if you wanted to get together. Not to worry it was nice meeting you" and he took my hand and kissed it.

"You too" I say still not aware of who he was.

I was left alone again and was feeling really uncomfortable now. I looked over at Dad and he was talking to Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance. It reminded me of the time that Dad invited him and his band to my 14th birthday party in 2005 after they'd toured with Green Day. I had nothing to say to him then. I remember he came to mum's funeral and spoke to me but I couldn't even remember what he'd said. My shoes were starting to hurt and I shifted my feet uncomfortably.

I looked about me. I think I'll go to the ladies in a minute just to check my make up at least it will give me something to do other than standing here like a stupid bitch with everybody looking over at me probably wondering who the hell I am and how I'm standing out uncomfortably amongst everyone. Where were the toilets anyway? May be Adi would come with me but I looked over and she was still chatting to Bono's wife. I couldn't see Aunt Jen anywhere. Shit. I started panicking a little, I felt so uncomfortable, alone and self-conscious... I took a sip of my drink.

"Hi again, Franky" said this really sexy voice causing my stomach to surge. I turned and it was Gerard Way.

"Oh Hi" I say. I had to look up, as he was quite tall. He was much taller than me even with my heels on. His eyes really struck me and my stomach lurched, deep dark green eyes, so dark. They were mesmerizing. I knew I was staring but didn't care.

"I saw you on your own. You looked a little lost so I thought I'd come and rescue you," he said. My god his voice was so sexy. "It's been a few years since I last saw you" he said. "You've changed. Are you enjoying yourself?" he asked "Your dad said it was your first time here."

"It's awesome but... "

"It's a little overwhelming isn't it?" he finished.

"Yeah a little" I said "Oh congratulations by the way. You deserved to win the award for best song."

"Thanks" he said and grinned. His grin was gorgeous.

At that moment my foot slipped on the high heels and I wobbled but Gerard grabbed my elbow.

"You OK?" he asked

"Yeah its these shoes, I'm not used to wearing them". I laughed. "I live in trainers and converse boots"

"You mean you've got heels on and you still only come up to my shoulder?" he laughed.

"Oh please don't mention my height," I laugh. "It's a standing joke with everyone that I haven't grown since I was about 14" I laughed.

"I don't think you have," he said. He was still holding my arm. "Anyway height doesn't matter when you're lying down," he said.

"I don't believe you just said that!" I said laughing, but shocked and I couldn't believe that I didn't blush.

"Actually I don't believe I just said that either" he said. I think he was slightly embarrassed. We laughed. I couldn't take my eyes off him. It was a weird feeling like we were the only two in the room.

My stomach growled and I think he heard it. "Sorry that was my stomach," I said. "I'm so hungry I thought they would have had food here," I said.

"No they never do at these things. I'm hungry too I could just eat a plate of egg on toast"

"Egg on toast! I love egg on toast," I said. "But it must be a runny yolk"

"Yeah so you can dip the toast in," he says.

"And with a dollop of ketchup on the side" I say.

"So you can mix that into the yolk" he replied.

"Yes I do that too but I don't think we're going to get egg on toast here" I say then bend over to rub my sore feet. Why the fuck were we talking about egg on toast? Then I quickly stood up, as I was suddenly conscious of the fact that he could probably see straight down my cleavage. Yes I had a cleavage, just for one night. My face burnt. I looked at him. Yep he'd been looking.

"Shall we go and sit over there if your feet are sore" he suddenly said pointing at a sofa out of the way and in a corner.

"Why not" I reply. He took my elbow and guided me over to a dimly lit corner with sofas and a low table.

I sat down and he sat down next to me. His leg was touching mine and my stomach flipped as I felt his hard muscled leg against me. Height doesn't matter when you're lying down. Stop it.

"Your dad tells me you're about to start off with your band," he said

"Yeah we're going to record our first record in a few days. I'm so excited"

"It's a great feeling finally getting to hear your song playing on TV and Radio you know" he said.

"And winning a Grammy must be even better" I reply.

"Yeah" he said smiling. Fuck. That smile. It made my legs turn to jelly

"You should be so proud of yourselves you know. Dad thinks a lot of you guys"

"I know. They've all been great. They are all so inspirational aren't they? They've all helped us and given us some brilliant advice."

I started rubbing my foot again.

"Why not take your shoes off?" said Gerard.

"I can't do that. What if people see?" I say.

"You can't see much over in this corner," said Gerard. "I could probably strip naked and no one would notice."

"Oh I don't think so somehow," I laughed. Height doesn't matter when you're lying down...

But I undid the shoes and took them off anyway.

"That's much better," I say rubbing my toes.

"I love the colour of your toenails," said Gerard.

"It's my favorite colour," I said.

"I would never have guessed" he said and touched my long purple curl. "This is cool". F inally. He had been waiting to do that all night.

"Thanks" I said finishing my champagne.

"Let me get you another" said Gerard.

"Actually do you think they've got any cherry cola here? I don't drink alcohol any more really, I just took that to be polite," I said.

"I'm afraid they don't as that's my favorite drink at the moment and I've already asked. How about an orange juice?"

"Yes please" I say.

He stands up to get the drinks but the rest of the guys from My Chem come over and call him for their photo shoot with their award. Then he was gone.

I touched my hair where he had touched it. My stomach was still doing weird flips just thinking about him. Height doesn't matter when you're lying down. But I must have said it out loud.

"Hi Honey," said Adi "Did you say something? Are you OK?"
"I'm fine but my feet are so sore"

She laughed. "Why do you think I keep to more comfortable shoes?" she says. "Hey I hear you're the talk of the room," she says

"What do you mean?" I ask frowning at her. Wait until I saw Hannah to tell her that this dress was a bad idea.

"Well I saw you earlier with Jude Law. What were you talking about?"

"Jude Law. That was who it was. I thought I recognized him but I wasn't sure where from. Jude Law. Yeah he asked if I wanted a drink and if I was free tomorrow," I said

"And?" said Adi. She had a twinkle in her eye.

"And what?" I say to her

"What did you say?" she said.

"I told him I was busy" I said rubbing my foot again.

"Oh Franky" Adi replied trying not to laugh.

"What?" I said looking at her.

"You turned down a date with Jude Law?" she said.

"Yeah. No. It wouldn't have been a date. Anyway, he's a bit too posh and old for me, not my type at all." I say

"You are funny," said Adi

"Why?" I said.

"No reason. Did you hear about Pete Wentz?"

"What about him?" I said. Fucking hell. This dress was definitely a bad idea. I wanted to get home, get it off and throw it out.

"Well. He wanted to ask you out apparently but couldn't pluck up the courage. He was concerned that you'd turn him down and anyway he's shit scared of Tre."

"Don't lie," I said to Adi. Why was she taking the piss out of me?

"I'm not. Don't look now but I bet he's looking over." She said.

I sneakily take a glance in the direction she told me and yeah he was looking over.

"I don't believe it." I said. "What does he see in me and how can anyone be scared of Dad?" I say.

"I can't see why they are scared of Tre either he's like a teddy bear but you, look at yourself. You look so gorgeous tonight. Anyway you were looking real friendly with Gerard she said. Do you like him? Is he your type?"

"Yeah he is. He's gorgeous Adi. Dark hair, sexy eyes, just my type." I said dreamily.

She laughed. "He sounds like my type too. But I prefer them shorter."

We laughed then.

"It's hot in here Adi I think I'm going outside to get some air." There was a set of double doors close by that led out onto a balconied area.

"I'm going to get myself another drink." Said Adi. "The guys are having pictures taken at the moment. Jen is watching them have them done but I've seen so many photo shoots I'm bored with them." She said. She sort of sounded as though she didn't really want to be here.

"Adi are you sure you're alright after our talk the other day?" I say to her.

"I'm fine sweetheart. It is nothing you know, nothing that I can't sort on my own". She kissed my cheek and said, "see you in a while honey." Then was gone.

I went outside thinking again about Adi and the photograph. I didn't know whether to bring it up or not. It was gorgeous outside and the night air was cool. I was still barefoot and I leant on the balcony looking out at the view. I went into my bag and topped up my cherry lip-gloss. I licked some off and topped it up again. I looked up at the night sky and the stars thinking of mum.

"Hey tiny" said the sexy voice; my stomach went somewhere it hadn't been before. Height doesn't matter when you're lying down.

"Tiny?" I laughingly say turning to see Gerard again.

"Well you are. I bet I could pick you up in one hand". Please do. "Anyway, here's your drink little lady" he said. "Found any egg on toast for us?"

"Thanks" I said taking the drink from him and taking a sip. "And no, no egg on toast I'm afraid. I'm starving, so don't remind me. Did you have your photographs done?"

"Yeah loads, I now have jaw ache" he said looking down at me. Those eyes.

"Oh poor you" and I put my hand up and touched his jaw. What was I doing?

"How tall are you exactly?" he said.

"I'm five feet one. Is it an issue? What's wrong with being five feet one?"

"Nothing at all." Said Gerard grinning away.

"And you?" I ask him taking another sip of my drink and looking him in the eye.

"About six foot four." He said.

"No way." I say.

"No. About five foot ten." He said laughing at me.

"Giraffe". I say cheekily.

"Gerard the Giraffe" he said and we both laughed.

"I love giraffes," I say. "They're cute."

"I'm glad and I like the way you say my name in your English accent" he says.

I felt embarrassed then and turned to look out at the view of the mountains.

"Just look at that view," he says looking across at the mountains with me. " It's a great view of the mountains from here isn't it?" he said.

"Isn't it? I love the mountains and I often go for walks up there to think." I said to him

"Me too" said Gerard. "We'll have to go for a walk up in the mountains together. How about it?" He said turning to me. Why was my stomach behaving in this way?

"I'd like that". I say. "When?"

"You're keen," he said raising his eyebrows and looking at me

"Yeah may be I am". God I was brave but sometimes you have to go for it.

"How about tomorrow?" said Gerard. "We are away the day after for a while."

"And you think I'm keen" I said laughing. "Tomorrow is fine with me"

Then I noticed he was looking at my ingot.

"I keep getting drawn to this" he says leaning in. "What does it say on it?"

He leant down and his head was by my chest, I could smell his aftershave. Height doesn't matter when you're lying down. My heart was pounding he must be able to hear it. He reached and touched the ingot and I felt his hands brush my throat. Fucking hell.

"To my extraordinary girl. I will always love you. How lovely." He said replacing the ingot gently back down.

"It was my mums. It was a gift from dad when they first met." I said.

"Hey I loved your Mom," he said. "I think everyone that met her did. She was beautiful and kind. You are like her you know. "

"Yeah so I'm being told all the time," I say. " Oh apart from one thing."

"The eyes" we say at the same time.

He took my hand then and started stroking my fingers.

"You do like purple don't you?" He said looking at my fingernails.

"Yes I do, how did you guess?" I suddenly felt all tingly inside.

"But you don't wear purple lipstick." He said.

"No. I wear cherry lip-gloss instead"

"Really? Could I get a taste of your cherry lips". He said.

My stomach was doing these weird movements I'd never felt before.

"Go right ahead". Height doesn't matter when you're lying down.

He placed his hands on my waist and bent down towards me. I could feel his warm breath and I could smell the mixture of toothpaste and soap. His lips were inches from mine so I closed my eyes. Then someone interrupted us by calling out...

"Franky. We have to go now" it was Billie Joe standing in the doorway. Fucking hell you pick your moments, how long had he been there? Had he heard us talking? Gerard pulled away but still had his hands on my waist. Fuck off now Billie I thought. Give us a moment will you. Gerard Way was about to kiss me. But no, Billie Joe stood there just looking over waiting for us to part so that I could be led off to the car.

"Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow" said Gerard pecking my cheek and then he left. He shook Billie's hands as I put on my shoes. As I made my way through the crowd I could see Dad up ahead talking to Gerard but as I got closer Gerard walked away. He didn't even look back.

"Hey sweetie." Said dad, "You ready to go? Sorry I didn't get to spend much time with you. You know what its like?" said Dad.

"Yeah. I'm ready to go," I sighed. I was still pissed off with Billie for interrupting us.

As we left the building the photographers were still there. They snapped away at Dad and me together. "Franky? Tre? Over here, over here." I couldn't wait to get into the car. I had a headache coming. It must be that champagne. I kicked off my shoes in the car and lay my head back against the seat. I closed my eyes and I could see his face. I couldn't wait to see him tomorrow. I would wear my cherry lipstick so he could taste it this time.

When I got in I took off my make up, hung up my dress and got into bed. I quickly text Hannah

YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHO I'M GOING OUT WITH TOMORROW? GERARD WAY.

I shut my eyes and Gerard's words 'height doesn't matter when you're lying down' kept running through my mind over and over...