Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

Its what she dreamed of

Later that day...

"Franky its Joey," he said when Franky picked up the telephone.

"Hi Joey. How are you? How's the football going?"

"It's going good. That's why I'm calling. I've got the first match today and wondered if.. well if you're not doing anything would you like to come and watch?"

"What time?" said Franky.

"Well it starts at 2pm over at the school," he said.

"Great. Could I bring a friend? May be Hannah?"

"Yeah sure. Of course you can." But I'd rather you were alone he thinks.

"See you then Joey." said Franky.

She calls up Hannah then.

"Hi Ellie, is Hannah home?"

"Well she is but she's ill in bed," said Ellie. "She's been looking a bit pale of late and feeling slightly light headed. We think she's got a touch of the flu."

"Oh, well give her my love won't you, I may get round to see her later," I have to tell her about dad at some point.

"Of course," said Ellie.

"Oh and Ellie? How about you come with me?" she said.

"Sorry?" said Ellie.

"Err. You know Joey Armstrong? Yeah you must do he goes to your school" said Franky.

"Yeah, yeah I do," said Ellie. What was this about?

"Well he's got his first soccer match today and I'm going to see him play. Would you like to come with me, keep Milton and myself company?" asked Franky.

"I'd love to," said Ellie. Oh would I.

"Right, I'll be round in about an hour," she said.

"Cool." Said Ellie. Now what should I wear?

Later...

Susan comes to the door when Franky knocks.

"Hi Susan," said Franky.

"Hi," says Susan "How are you?" Yes, your eyes are like your fathers Susan thinks.

"I'm good thanks Susan."

"You'd better come in for a second," she said. "I don't know what Ellie is doing up there?"

"ELLIE! Franky's here baby." called Susan.

Franky was looking at Susan's belt. Was it a belt? No. It was a tie that had been put through the loops of her jeans. Hey that tie looks just like the one that I bought dad for his birthday but of course it couldn't be. How weird.

**
Joey watched Franky walking towards the football pitch and who was that with her? Oh Ellie, little Ellie, the one he had kissed.

"Oh look, here comes Franky Cool," said one of the guys.

"Yeah I fucking love her," said another "Did you see her in the papers. She's fucking hot."

"Whose that she's with?" said someone else.

"Not sure. Not seen her before," said another. "She's hot too though."

"Her name's Ellie," said Joey glancing over at Ellie standing there.

"How old is she?"

"Same as us. 15," said Joey.

"How come I've never noticed her before?" said the guy.

"Don't know," said Joey. But I've only just noticed her properly he thinks comparing Franky with Elie. No one could be like Franky he thinks but Ellie would make a good second best.

**
"Franky?" Said Ellie who couldn't take her eyes of Joey.

"Yeah babe" replied Franky not looking but trying to concentrate on the soccer.

"Has Joey got a girlfriend?" Ellie asked.

"No I don't think so," she said. Then turned to look at the pink-faced girl beside her

"Why do you like him?" Franky smiled.

"May be," said Ellie.

"Do you want me to put in a good word for you?" she laughed.

"Don't be silly, he's Billie Joe's son. He wouldn't look twice at me," Ellie says.

"He's a good guy," said Franky thinking kindly of Joey.

"I know. I've liked him for a while. I don't want him to think I'm just another hanger-on though," she says.

**

The next day it is blisteringly hot and I decide to go for a walk. I leave Milton at home as it's far too hot for him. I take my pad and pen with me put them in a rucksack with a huge bottle of water and set off with my thoughts.

I was still so pissed off with James but more pissed off with myself. How could I have been so stupid? I was no longer a virgin, a little of me was pleased about that but the whole thing sucked. I was so disappointed in myself. Why did I do it? It wasn't special at all.

"Franky!" shouted a voice from behind me. Billie Joe. "Wait up," he said jogging up towards me. "You OK?" he said, slightly out of breath.

"Fine thanks but it's so warm today isn't it?" I say to him wiping my brow with the back of my hand. "You going up into the mountains?" I asked him.

"Yeah. Adi's away at her moms with Jakob and Joey is staying at a friends just down the road from us," he said.

""Why didn't you go with Adi?" I frowned.

"She.. er.. she said she needed to get away for a bit. She decided we needed to be apart to assess our situation."

"Really? Oh Billie I'm sorry," I said genuinely concerned. Dad had mentioned it though.

"How long is she away for?" I asked him.

"Oh she's back tomorrow. She's been away for about a week," said Billie.

"What have you been doing with yourself all week?" I said.

"Oh this and that, you know," said Billie.

"You haven't been alone have you? You should have come to ours. Dad would have cheered you up," I said "and I'm there most days with the guys practicing."

"I know. I've done some thinking this week and so has Adi. We're going to talk big time when she gets back."

"Did you ever find out what was bothering her?" I ask as we start climbing up into the mountains? Had she ever told him about the blonde guy?

"No and to me that was the start of it. She couldn't trust me enough to tell me that something was wrong. There is something isn't there? Did she tell you? Please let me know Franky its still bugging me," said Billie. Poor soul.

"She just said that there was something on her mind. Nothing much to worry about, nothing to bother you about and that she could sort it herself but she didn't tell me what," I said.

"No and she didn't tell me either. I think there is someone else but I've come to terms with it and I think it's the end of the road for us," said Billie, but he didn't seem that sad about it.

"Oh Billie no. Really?" Had he any idea? Oh my god this was getting way out of hand. She hated lying to Billie herself. Look at him, the poor guy. Should I tell him? I can't bring myself to, may be it would break his heart.

"Yeah. It's doing my head in, I can't stand it any more and life at home is hell. We always argue, the boys are never around then she goes off to the health club and I don't see her. She's not interested in my stuff anymore. I've tried extra hard these past months but I'm sick of trying. I shouldn't have to try so hard and I'm done with it. We had a fabulous time together and being married for so long should be an achievement. I love her but it's a different love now, I think she feels the same about me," said Billie.

"I'm so sorry," I said. I genuinely was.

"No Franky it's fine. It's just a little sad that it didn't last. Don't say anything to anyone. Even the boys don't realise. Well they probably do realise but haven't said anything. Joey has been acting real weird lately; he's always in his room. I can't get through to the kid," said Billie.

We stop at a bench and sit down for a drink of water and I take a gulp from the bottle. "Want some?" I ask. He takes the bottle and drinks from it but he doesn't bother to wipe it, I suppose we're like family I think.

"So. What have you been up to young lady? Did you enjoy that day at the studios?"

"Yep it was wonderful Billie. We couldn't have done it without you, Dad and Mike. I'm so excited and I know everyone else is," I say taking another gulp of water.

"Why do you look so sad then?" he asks. He looks really concerned for me. Oh Billie, you have your own problems, why are you so worried about me?

"Do I?" I shift about nervously.

"Yeah. You're not your usual bubbly self," he replies.

"I'm OK really. I just had a small disagreement with James and have a few things on my mind that's all." Including the photograph of your wife fucking someone else.

"I didn't think you were seeing James. Isn't it all over with you two? I thought there was Gerard," said Billie.

"We hardly saw each other anyway, actually it was only one date but last night well, he made a fool of me," I said. "And Gerard... well... we've hardly even seen each other either, who knows?" I say shrugging.

"James is an idiot for upsetting you, give him hell from me. Look," said Billie checking his watch. "I'd best be off as I said I'd meet an old pal in town this evening. What's your dad up to tonight?" he said.

"Oh he's gone away to visit grandpa for the night. He's been ill with the flu and Dad decided he'd check up on him. He's taken Ramona and Frankito along too as they've not seen grandpa in ages." Plus he knows I'm not happy with his behaviour at the moment.

"OK," said Billie. "I just wondered if he wanted to come out for a drink." He stood up and he pecked me on the cheek. "See you around then Titch," he said.

"Yeah bye Billie," I said getting out my pen and paper to do some writing.

Then he was gone.

I sat there for a while drinking the water and writing some stuff down. I couldn't wait to see Gerard again. I wondered what it would be like when I saw him. Would I still feel the same way? Did he like me? Who knew? He may have met someone else by now. It seemed ages since the Grammy's. Height doesn't matter when you're lying down. I shivered then my stomach growled, I was so hungry. I checked my watch. I'd been out for three hours. Milton must be hungry at home too.

When I got home I fed Milton and made myself double egg on toast with ketchup on the side. I ate it in front of the TV, taking advantage of dad not being around then I must have dozed off as the phone was ringing and it woke me. It was 8pm I noticed on the clock over the fireplace.

"Hello?" I said.

"Franky, its Billie," he sounded weird

"Billie, are you OK?" I asked sitting up.

"Not really, I need you to come and get me," he said.

"Where are you? Are you in town? Is there something wrong with your car?" I asked.

"Sort of. Look I'm at the police station. I've been arrested," he said.

"WHAT?" I sat up quick then.

"Yeah," he sounded down. "They picked me up I'd had too much to drink and I need you to bail me out. Have you any money sweetheart?"

"I have my savings account. I'll come down and bring my chequebook with me."

"They want $5000 dollars. Look they're saying if I don't give them $5000 dollars all this will be over the papers tomorrow," said Billie sounding pissed off.

"I'll be there Billie, give me half an hour," I said getting up off the sofa.

I took my plate out to the kitchen then went upstairs to my bedside table. I rummaged around and found my checkbook. I knew I had about $6000 dollars saved up in it. Fuck, that's all my savings but I was sure that Billie would pay me back.

I got into mums mini and drove carefully to the police station. The officer in charge was really kind and polite and watched me write the check then they went away. They seemed to have been gone ages. Then the door opened and there he was, bedraggled, forlorn, red-eyed. Billie Joe.

He looked really sheepish. We didn't say anything to each other, just left the building and walked towards the car. Just before we got to the car he hugged me. I swore a flash went off just as we were hugging. Fuck it I really hope that wasn't a camera and the press has got hold of us outside the police station. It was probably nothing, just car headlights maybe.

"Oh Franky. I'm so sorry for doing this to you, there was no one else I could call. I don't think anyone else would have understood. Thank you," he said simply.

"Its OK Billie, just get in the car and I'll get you home," I said. He looked so sad.

We drove in silence to his house and when I pulled up he said, "Please come in and have a coffee with me, I want to explain and I've not had that much to drink you know."

"OK," I said feeling a little sorry for him. I could have just wrapped my arms round him at that point and told him that everything would be ok.

His house was quiet, it was so empty. Every time I came here there was usually something going on, Adi cooking and laughing, music playing, and the boys making loads of noise. It was really weird. It was a lonely and empty house without them all.

The mess in the kitchen took me back.

"Billie what's all this? What's been going on here?" I said turning to him.

"I know, but I couldn't be bothered," he looked a little ashamed.

There were pizza cartons and Chinese boxes everywhere, beer bottles and cans of soft drinks all over the place.

"I can't leave this in this mess, Adi will be back tomorrow. This wont help matters will it?" I say to him. "You make the coffees and I'll make a start on this lot."

I got out a rubbish bag and cleared away all the crap. Loaded up the dishwasher and wiped all the surfaces down. Much better.

"How come the cops got you then?" I asked as I was putting some mugs away.

"I decided to drive to the town, a stupid thing really and I ended up having three glasses of wine. I thought I'd be OK but I've been done before you know."

"Yeah I remember," I said.

"The cops were good really but I bet that $5000 goes straight into their pockets," he said.

"It probably will, you have to be careful you know," I said. "Look I'd better be going Billie," I said gathering up my bag.

"Please stay and have a glass of wine with me. I could do with the company. Please?" he almost pleaded it.

"But I don't drink anymore," I said.

"Just one wont hurt then you can drive home. One won't harm Franky, stay and chat with me, tell me about your songs," he said.

"OK, just the one then." I'd had a shit few days, why not and he was sad and lonely.

But the one glass of wine turned into two glasses as we got chatting and I forgot the time. Billie opened a second bottle and poured out another glass. We chatted for ages about song writing and the band then I stood up to go to the bathroom and felt slightly dizzy.

I freshened up and put on some cherry lip-gloss and went back into the living room.

"I really shouldn't drink," I said. "Especially not after the other day"

"What happened the other day?" said Billie looking over. Was that concern on his face?

"Nothing, forget I said that," I said. "I think I'll call myself a taxi," I said; as I can't drive home now after that much wine. But I really want to stay here with you...

"Are you sure? You can sleep in the boy's room if you like" said Billie looking a little lost and lonely. I'd really love to do that...

"No I couldn't," I said. I so could...

"Has someone done something to upset you?" said Billie suddenly.

"No it's nothing," I said, then the combination of the wine, what had happened with James the other day, the thoughts about the photograph of Adi with the blond guy and now worrying about dad and Hannah with Billie's kindness thrown in just made my eyes fill up with tears. I fought them and didn't think he'd notice.

"Hey what's upset you"? He'd noticed. He got up and grabbed a tissue from a box on the coffee table.

I slumped into the chair. "Oh just a few problems with James," I said taking the tissue from him. He sat down next to me, his leg against mine... .

"He must have upset you real bad Franky you were upset earlier today about this weren't you. What's he done?"

"I can't tell you, it's a little personal," I say sniffing into the tissue, embarrassed.

"OK Franky. You don't have to tell me you know but I'm here if you want to, you know that. I'm always here for you, always have been" he said putting his hand on my arm. Please don't.

He was being so kind to me that it suddenly all came flooding out "Oh Billie I made a huge mistake. I slept with James and I wish now that I hadn't. I overheard him on a phone saying to someone that he'd slept with me for a bet, $300 dollars and then he wanted more money from his friend because.. because.. he was my first and that should be worth more. Then he was bragging about it and oh fuck Billie! I've messed up, I didn't really want to sleep with him at all, its just that a part of me wanted to see what it would be like you know, I mean I am nearly 18 and ... . look I need to get a taxi and come back for my car in the morning." I said getting up off the chair. "I'm sorry to have bothered you with this, it's stupid really, you have your own worries," I'd blurted it all out so fast that I hardly knew what I'd said.

He hugged me then. "Poor Titch," he said as he squeezed me tight. I could smell the familiar smell of him, the booze, aftershave, and his masculine smell. Damn you Billie Joe. Nothing had changed here for me at all. Think of Gerard. Think of Gerard.

"Ouch," I said, "that hurts." I suddenly had this sharp pain right across the back of my shoulders where he'd hugged me. "That really stings," I said. "What is it?"

"Lets have a look," said Billie Joe turning me around so he could have a look.

"You're fucking sunburnt," he said. "Did you not put protection on today while you were out"?

"No." I hadn't in all the rush to get out of the house and my mind being elsewhere I totally forgot.

"Silly girl," he said. "Come and get some after sun lotion, we've got loads upstairs." He grabbed my hand and led me upstairs to his bedroom, his hand felt firm and secure. I'd been in his bedroom once before when I'd died his hair blonde years ago. It was so gorgeous and luxurious in there. He went over to a cupboard on one side of the bed.

"Here it is," he said bringing it over. "I'll put it on for you; you won't be able to reach round there. Lift your hair up."

I lifted up my hair and I could hear him squirt some of the after sun into his hands then he started applying it to my shoulders. It felt cold and tingly against my skin.

"Ouch that stings a little," I said.

"I'll be as gentle as I can," he said. Oh my god I thought what am I doing in this situation?

He gently rubbed it into my skin and it was the most amazing feeling the way he worked the lotion into the top of my back. His hands were so gentle but firm at the same time, it was like a massage even though I'd never had a massage before. So relaxing...

"Is that any better?" he said from behind me.

"Mmmm that feels so much better," I said. It did. I just wished he would apply more. I wanted to feel that feeling again.

"I'll just put a little bit more on," he said, "in case I missed a bit." Oh good.

The feeling was sensational and I was getting swept away in the moment.

"There you go," he said suddenly bringing me back to my senses. Stupid. I could hear him putting the lid back on the bottle and placing it on the side table.

"Thanks Billie," I said letting my hair drop back down. "What an idiot I am forgetting to put protection on, I mean nowadays you have to be so... "

I turned round and he was staring at me in a strange way. His pupils were huge and his green eyes glistened.

"Franky?" He said. I'd never seen him look at me like this before.

"Yes?" I said looking at his familiar green eyes. My stomach danced with excitement.

"No it doesn't matter," he said still staring at me

"No what's wrong Billie"? He had this weird look on his face.

"No I can't say it," he said looking down, slightly embarrassed.

"Can't say what?" I said questioningly, what was he trying to say to me?

"I can't say ... " he stopped and looked up again but didn't say anything more. I was getting annoyed now.

"What?" I said.

"Shit. That I.."

"WHAT? For god's sake Billie," I shrieked.

He was still staring at me with those wonderful eyes that I'd always loved. They were sparkling at me

"Fucking hell Franky, I'm desperate to kiss you." there, he'd said it. He'd said it and didn't look embarrassed at all by having said it. He needed me to respond

"Oh." I was shocked, gobsmacked. It must have shown and he needed to explain.

"No, really Franky, I've wanted to kiss you for some time now," he was being honest; I couldn't believe that this was happening.

"Well kiss me then Billie." What was I saying? I didn't care. Wasn't this what I had wanted nearly all my adult life?

Then he came towards me and his lips were on mine, they were softer than I imagined and his breath tasted of wine. I could feel the tip of his tongue as he ran it along my bottom lip then it was in my mouth and I could feel a slight roughness from his stubble but it was wonderful. I reached up and ran my fingers through the hair at the base of his neck. I don't know where my stomach had gone.. it seemed to have floated off onto another planet

He pulled away. My eyes had been shut but I opened them when he pulled away. He's changed his mind I thought. Fuck! Had I made a fool of myself yet again?

"Cherries," he said with a twinkle in his green eyes.

"Yeah," I said. "Cherry lip gloss."

"Can I have another taste?" He said smiling the smile I loved so much

"Go right ahead," I replied closing my eyes again. I could feel his strong hands holding on to each side of my face and I waited for his lips to meet mine.

I was in a daze and my head was spinning. Suddenly I could feel him lifting my t-shirt over my head then I started undoing the buttons on his shirt, which I took off him and threw onto the floor. We stopped for an instant and looked at each other. I glanced down at the tattoos on his chest then reached out and touched them. I had wanted to do that for as long as I could remember. His body felt warm and firm and I could feel his heart beating fast, just like mine was.

"Franky I need this," he said in a husky voice, his lips coming to meet mine.

"I need this too," I answered, my breathing becoming fast.

He unhooked my bra in one expert movement then I took off my pants and flung them across the floor, I lay back on his bed, naked. I could feel his eyes on me but it seemed like the most natural thing. I felt confident laying there showing myself to him.

"You're gorgeous, you know that," he said still looking at me, then he came over and lay down next to me. His body was warm and firm as it lay parallel to mine and then he ran his hands all over my body and started licking and kissing at my tattoo. "Your tattoo is gorgeous," he said looking up at me. "Let me take you to get some more done someday," he said looking up at me, his eyes sparkling away.

"I'd like a purple heart on my wrist with my guy's name tattooed next to it," I said amidst the throes of passion, my breathing heavy. "When I meet the right guy that is." What was I saying, I didn't care anymore, and all I was interested in was where Billie was putting his tongue. It wasn't until afterwards when I lay in his muscled arms, feeling elated and drowsy that I realised that this had been my dream for so long...