Jay-Z: From Rags to Riches

Shawn Corey Carter was born on December 4, 1969 in the Marcy Projects in Brooklyn, New York. Abandoned by his father in 1982, the future rapper was raised by his mother, Gloria Carter. Shawn eventually got involved in selling crack cocaine. His neighborhood name "Jazzy" then turned into Jay-Z as a homage to his influence Jaz-O.

When Jay-Z had his heart set on rap, he was anxious to start his new life. Since no one was giving Jay-Z a record deal, Jay-Z, Damon Dash, and Kareem Biggs started their own record label, Roc-A-Fella Records in 1995. And in 1996, Jay-Z came out with his first album, Reasonable Doubt which reached platinum status. Jay-Z soon landed a deal with Def Jam in 1997 and came out with his follow up album, In My Lifetime, Vol.1 which is said, was recorded at the darkest time in his life when he was dealing with the death of his friend, The Notorious B.I.G.

In 1998, Jay-Z delivered Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life which landed him his biggest hit 'Hard Knock Life'. The album became Jay-Z's most commercially successful album, was certified 5x platinum and won the rapper a Grammy Award. 1998, proved to be a big year for Jay-Z when he released his next album Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter. Another successful album, selling over 3 million records.

At this time, Jay-Z was involved in an allegation in which he reportedly stabbed record executive, Lance "Un" Rivera. He pleaded not guilty but was sentenced to three years probation on a misdemeanor charge. After the allegation, Def Jam Records came out with The Dynasty: Roc La Famlia as a compilation record for new artists such as Kanye West, and The Neptunes but later came out as a Jay-Z album and sold 2 million records in U.S. alone. In 2001, during the wake of September 11 attacks, Jay-Z came out with his 6th studio album The Blueprint. The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard Charts and certified 2x platinum. Blueprint 2: The Gift and the Curse came out soon after in 2002 which spawned hits like 'Excuse Me Miss' and '03 Bonnie and Clyde' featuring his future wife, Beyonce.

In 2003, Jay-Z came out with another successful album The Black Album which sold 3 million copies in the U.S. and in 2004 Jay-Z was named President of Def Jam Records. In 2006, Jay-Z returned with his comeback album Kingdom Come. In the first week, the album sold 638,000 copies, a record for Jay-Z. In 2007, Jay-Z released his 10th studio album, American Gangster. Also in 2007, Jay-Z also resigned his position as President of Def Jam Records. In 2008, Jay-Z announced that he would be headlining at Glastonbury Festival becoming the first major hip-hop act. Jay-Z came out with his 11th album Blueprint 3 and reached a record breaking #1 spot the Billboard charts.

Despite all of the success that Jay-Z has had, I believe that his most incredible success is his family. In 2008, Jay-Z married Beyonce in a low key wedding. They both keep their relationship very private and were listed as Forbes 100 Most Powerful Couple in 2006. Just recently at the VMA's, Beyonce publicly announced that they are expecting their first child.

Jay-Z is the perfect example going from "rags to riches". From the Marcy Projects to million dollar mansions. His current net worth is over $450 million and his success only comes from one thing, hard work.

Latest articles